Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,896 members, 7,828,160 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:50 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (106) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1191037 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (103) (104) (105) (106) (107) (108) (109) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 10:40am On Dec 04, 2021
Mamatukwas:

35% saturation made me laugh grin but tbh though, there’s something about the UK system that makes our people less accommodating. It’s not this bad in the US. Family is a bit more willing to host visitors there.

One of my baby trips, we booked hotel-apartment and my aunt came there to physically Jack us out smiley She said not while she’s in the same town. The only time I succeeded in staying alone was when I went to a state with no close relatives and even then, they organized people they knew to cook and check up on us.

I always say America is a bit more like Nigeria. Uk brings out the ‘managing’ side in most people unfortunately. Everyone should understand sha and be prepared if moving abroad. No one owes you anything tbh.

Probably has to do with the size of houses in the US compared to the UK

UK houses dey be like them Dey manage spaces

Still, best is to just make your plans with no one in mind

Saves yourself from unnecessary stories that touch

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 10:46am On Dec 04, 2021
Mamatukwas:

35% saturation made me laugh grin but tbh though, there’s something about the UK system that makes our people less accommodating. It’s not this bad in the US. Family is a bit more willing to host visitors there.

One of my baby trips, we booked hotel-apartment and my aunt came there to physically Jack us out smiley She said not while she’s in the same town. The only time I succeeded in staying alone was when I went to a state with no close relatives and even then, they organized people they knew to cook and check up on us.

I always say America is a bit more like Nigeria. Uk brings out the ‘managing’ side in most people unfortunately. Everyone should understand sha and be prepared if moving abroad. No one owes you anything tbh.

Agreed.
Of course Americans tend to live "larger" than the Brits do, so that comes into play.
Also US immigration from Nigeria has always been much tighter than UK immigration from Nigeria, at least prior to the 90s and visa lottery. A far higher proportion of professionals went to the US (almost everyone I know there of my parents' generation was a doctor, nurse, engineer, etc.) and of course they tend to be doing better, and hence be more open-handed. Nigerians in the UK are more varied (it was way easier to get a UK visa, overstay and mutate into a general hustler than a US visa, for instance).

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mamatukwas: 11:27am On Dec 04, 2021
TheGuyFromHR:

Agreed.
Of course Americans tend to live "larger" than the Brits do, so that comes into play.
Also US immigration from Nigeria has always been much tighter than UK immigration from Nigeria, at least prior to the 90s and visa lottery. A far higher proportion of professionals went to the US (almost everyone I know there of my parents' generation was a doctor, nurse, engineer, etc.) and of course they tend to be doing better, and hence be more open-handed. Nigerians in the UK are more varied (it was way easier to get a UK visa, overstay and mutate into a general hustler than a US visa, for instance).

This! Very likely to be a major contributor to the ‘naija-British’ phenomenon smiley
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Infrabetatech: 12:04pm On Dec 04, 2021
duchess90:
Hello @omopapa

Do you still have pounds? i have naira and need pounds please

Cheers

I have pounds and I need naira
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dustydee: 12:33pm On Dec 04, 2021
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Hwy9: 12:44pm On Dec 04, 2021
monchat:

What of those on spouse visa traveling one way Can we get PTA?

You need a return ticket to apply for PTA.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by MichaelUde: 12:46pm On Dec 04, 2021
TheGuyFromHR:

Agreed.

Lol @ mutate.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dustydee: 12:46pm On Dec 04, 2021
hustla:
Hello my Ogas

Can I book Qatar airways ticket directly on their website using naija card? Or I have to book, then gp to their office to pay?

Also is it true that their rates are lower at their office than if you book online?

Sent emails to their customer service and called to no avail. They responded on twitter with a generic link

Kindly advise

Thanks !
What if you try to book to confirm if it's possible?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 12:55pm On Dec 04, 2021
dustydee:

What if you try to book to confirm if it's possible?

Trying to avoid cache issues and high prices because of that

Also increased charges due to exchange rate
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 12:56pm On Dec 04, 2021
Hwy9:

You need a return ticket to apply for PTA.

Been seeing talk about some Fidelity and Zenith bank branches not requesting for return ticket on the the student visa thread

I am yet to confirm from those banks though
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 12:57pm On Dec 04, 2021
hustla:

Try on your phone first.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 12:58pm On Dec 04, 2021
TheGuyFromHR:

Try on your phone first.

Okay smiley
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 1:17pm On Dec 04, 2021
dustydee:
Guy be careful out there.

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/accountant-raped-woman-sex-with-friend-163114146.html

Hummmm .... see the price he going to pay because of "just a bit of fun". He thought this was Nigeria were rubbish happens with no consequences

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dustydee: 2:22pm On Dec 04, 2021
hustla:

You can always clear your cache.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dustydee: 2:23pm On Dec 04, 2021
LagosismyHome:

Hummmm .... see the price he going to pay because of "just a bit of fun". He thought this was Nigeria were rubbish happens with no consequences
I am not sure he is a Nigerian but some guys have issues. Why would he do that?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by gistbite(f): 3:22pm On Dec 04, 2021
hustla:

Use wakanow to book. Their prices and the official website prices are the same. You can use your card to pay or transfer.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Arhmiee(f): 3:24pm On Dec 04, 2021
Hello Everyone, pls I have a question from a friend. She is recently divorced and has custody of the child but with reasonable access to the father of the child.
She want to come to the UK with the child on a skilled worker visa but doesn’t know how to apply for the child’s Visa. The father of the child would frustrate and ensure the journey to the UK doesn’t happen if he finds out she wants to relocate.
How best can she relocate with her child?
What documents will she need and must the father of the child be involved in the process?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dupyshoo: 3:30pm On Dec 04, 2021
If the father has been given a reasonable access to the child, then a consent will be required from him.

It will be mean for her to take the child away without his consent except if he is not a good father.
Arhmiee:
Hello Everyone, pls I have a question from a friend. She is recently divorced and has custody of the child but with reasonable access to the father of the child.
She want to come to the UK with the child on a skilled worker visa but doesn’t know how to apply for the child’s Visa. The father of the child would frustrate and ensure the journey to the UK doesn’t happen if he finds out she wants to relocate.
What documents will she need and must the father of the child be involved in the process?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 3:58pm On Dec 04, 2021
dustydee:

I am not sure he is a Nigerian but some guys have issues. Why would he do that?

His middle name is Ayodele
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 4:02pm On Dec 04, 2021
Arhmiee:

I am curious about this as well.... it is a requirement for student visa that both parents apply for a child. Dont know if work visa is different, I checked online and wasn't clear
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 4:33pm On Dec 04, 2021
Arhmiee:

She should spend this time working with the father aka sugar coating him, buttering his over inflated ego. .........

He might be a clog in the wheel, otherwise....... wink

Part of the conditions of the court order, would stipulate plenty, with added restrictions.........
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dustydee: 5:25pm On Dec 04, 2021
LagosismyHome:

okay, I didn't notice that. Quite unfortunate.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dustydee: 5:36pm On Dec 04, 2021
Arhmiee:
That will be a tricky one. how will the father have access to his child? The cost of caring for the child will increase and the father may not be willing to foot the additional cost, assuming he is financially involved in his child's life currently. It will be interesting to know how they go about it.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 5:54pm On Dec 04, 2021
LagosismyHome:

Adebayor is not a Nigerian nah ........ grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Oggg: 5:55pm On Dec 04, 2021
inphoenix:

Thanks, but there are no appointments beyond December 30th and even the ones as late as 7pm are chargeable. I've checked all service centres and it is the same.
check by 9am that is only when new and free appointments are released. 10 mins into it, they all get zapped. U need to be logged in for 9am and for a date 28 days after-

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 5:55pm On Dec 04, 2021
dustydee:

okay, I didn't notice that. Quite unfortunate.

He was seeking a bosom to warm his cockles..... . grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by gistbite(f): 6:03pm On Dec 04, 2021
Hello. Do you have to book day 2 and 8 test if you are fully vaccinated?
Also do covid test 48hrs before flight.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 6:10pm On Dec 04, 2021
LagosismyHome:

I am curious about this as well.... it is a requirement for student visa that both parents apply for a child. Dont know if work visa is different, I checked online and wasn't clear

Likewise...
I found no specific info about this Gov.Uk, but it stands to reason that the same requirement of consent from both parents is likely to apply in Tier 2 as in Tier 4.
If the father has court-mandated visitation rights, then it seems to me the best solution is what Lexusgs suggested - stroking of his ego, followed up with outright begging/negotiations.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 6:20pm On Dec 04, 2021
TheGuyFromHR:

Likewise...
I found no specific info about this Gov.Uk, but it stands to reason that the same requirement of consent from both parents is likely to apply in Tier 2 as in Tier 4.
If the father has court-mandated visitation rights, then it seems to me the best solution is what Lexusgs suggested - stroking of his ego, followed up with outright begging/negotiations.

Like 2 video calls a week and visitations back to Nigeria etc etc ......... grin

I charge £1000 per hour for such mediations ........ grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 6:40pm On Dec 04, 2021
TheGuyFromHR:

Likewise...

For students i get that they don't want student to burden UK if they get stranded and hence why its there .. but a workers visa. It might not be a requirement but I am not sure . That just by hutch
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 6:57pm On Dec 04, 2021
LagosismyHome:

For students i get that they don't want student to burden UK if they get stranded and hence why its there .. but a workers visa. It might not be a requirement but I am not sure . That just by hutch

The requirement for parental consent is not related to finances and possible abandonment, it is more to do with all the whole child trafficking matter.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by gistbite(f): 7:00pm On Dec 04, 2021
Lexusgs430:

Like 2 video calls a week and visitations back to Nigeria etc etc ......... grin

I charge £1000 per hour for such mediations ........ grin

Do I need a consent letter if I'm going to meet my partner in the Uk with my child? The visa we have is Dep visa filled by him.

(1) (2) (3) ... (103) (104) (105) (106) (107) (108) (109) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.