Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,640 members, 7,823,817 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 03:59 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (130) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1185221 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (127) (128) (129) (130) (131) (132) (133) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by lawali: 11:43pm On Dec 16, 2021
Chreze:

You just reminded me of when I came to this place, so make I tell you more.

Getting the Airbnb for 1month might be a good option. When you get to the house here’s what to do and what I consider the order.

1. On the day or night of your arrival. Go to lebara site and order for a SIM card. It’s free. (http://lebara.co.uk/). And they will have it delivered to your apartment in about 48hrs. When buying the SIM card, go for the option of getting an unlimited calling and texting plan with data. The minimum is £5. That unlimited call will help you cos you will spend lots of time trying to understand what an average scots-man has said. The Accent different from the UK accent you think you know.

2. Once you get your sim, open a revolut or Monzo account immediately. Revolut will give you a virtual card. This virtual card you can use to pay for things while you wait for the physical card. Monzo don’t give virtual card but will send a physical card to your apartment in the shortest time.

3. With your SIM card you register for the letting sites and start the proper house search where you can call the landlord. Try to set up viewings for the day your isolation ends. So that you can get on the market quickly.

4. On the day of your stepping out. You can get a one week bus pass. With this bus pass you can go round to check houses with unlimited bus rides. This will help you when you miss you bus stop or your way. You can get the first bus app downloaded, then buy the one week ticket and scan with your phone. The ticket cost £17 for adult and £15 for students. Trust me this ticket will help you as moving with bus is the best option in Glasgow.

5. You can start to perfect your google usage. Especially the map. It’s a safer out here cos it works. One time in naij, google took me and my bro thru a one way street. Na God save us that day we for pay lastma.

The rest I think you will learn by experience and add to your own baking process.

Blessings

@chreze, You can’t imagine how grateful I am for detailed points shared. You partially lifted the burden and unleashed me to power on.

I have taken note of your advice and that of other contributors too.

The journey continues while I stick around within limited time I have to spent online.Thanks very much.

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by SamReinvented: 11:46pm On Dec 16, 2021
Aprokodaughter:

Nairaland still dey call me Sir even with the daughter in my moniker. I know if man dey bear daughter now.

You sef. Indicate your gender in your profile setting. For someone so particular about her gender identity, I’d expect to see “f” next to your moniker. But it’s blank instead… so you can’t really blame the people that are unsure. tongue tongue

11 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Endlessgrace: 12:41am On Dec 17, 2021
Contra5:
Hello,

I just want to appreciate everyone here. You guys are doing a great job. I have learnt so much here from discussions on building credit score to buying a house. I moved to my own house in October after 10 months of 'crazy'. Buying a house in the UK is not for the faint hearted. We started looking at houses last year and left to pick it up again in January and it was a case of you put in an offer and some else offers 10k above the asking price. It was a sellers market not sure if it has changed now. Someone here mentioned the Facebook group (First time Buyers) - its really good. Thank you.

I digress, this is an appreciation post. Thank you all.

Congratulations! Glad the Facebook group helped. It’s a jungle out there (property market).

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ticha: 5:46am On Dec 17, 2021
bamangar:
Hello everyone, i need a better advise and judgement. I will be coming to the UK in 2022 for my masters, the enrolment will soon start. I studied Agric. in my Bsc but have been working in IT related fields since i graduated. I will be piking one of the below three courses:

DATA SCIENCE
CYBER SECURITY
CLOUD COMPUTING

I have passion and love the 3 but i only have to pick one and i want to do it based on availability of employment in the UK after graduation. If you are in my shoes, which course would you advise and reason why

Thanks

My brother studied Data Science. He had job offers and accepted one from one of the big 4 before he graduated. With a very good salary package as well as sponsorship.

10 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 6:40am On Dec 17, 2021
SamReinvented:

You sef. Indicate your gender in your profile setting. For someone so particular about her gender identity, I’d expect to see “f” next to your moniker. But it’s blank instead… so you can’t really blame the people that are gunsure. tongue tongue

Okay Madam Oga since you sef no indicate your gender.
For a moniker inspecting others you sef do the same with your moniker.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by obalala: 7:08am On Dec 17, 2021
Landing in southampton next week, thanks for this info and update
Chreze:

You just reminded me of when I came to this place, so make I tell you more.

Getting the Airbnb for 1month might be a good option. When you get to the house here’s what to do and what I consider the order.

1. On the day or night of your arrival. Go to lebara site and order for a SIM card. It’s free. (http://lebara.co.uk/). And they will have it delivered to your apartment in about 48hrs. When buying the SIM card, go for the option of getting an unlimited calling and texting plan with data. The minimum is £5. That unlimited call will help you cos you will spend lots of time trying to understand what an average scots-man has said. The Accent different from the UK accent you think you know.

2. Once you get your sim, open a revolut or Monzo account immediately. Revolut will give you a virtual card. This virtual card you can use to pay for things while you wait for the physical card. Monzo don’t give virtual card but will send a physical card to your apartment in the shortest time.

3. With your SIM card you register for the letting sites and start the proper house search where you can call the landlord. Try to set up viewings for the day your isolation ends. So that you can get on the market quickly.

4. On the day of your stepping out. You can get a one week bus pass. With this bus pass you can go round to check houses with unlimited bus rides. This will help you when you miss you bus stop or your way. You can get the first bus app downloaded, then buy the one week ticket and scan with your phone. The ticket cost £17 for adult and £15 for students. Trust me this ticket will help you as moving with bus is the best option in Glasgow.

5. You can start to perfect your google usage. Especially the map. It’s a safer out here cos it works. One time in naij, google took me and my bro thru a one way street. Na God save us that day we for pay lastma.

The rest I think you will learn by experience and add to your own baking process.

Blessings

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 9:37am On Dec 17, 2021
obalala:
Landing in southampton next week, thanks for this info and update

Congrats. Please note that the information I shared is 99% accurate for Glasgow (or maybe Scotland). I have never visited London or England and so don’t know if the same applies 100%. I know similar from reading but never been there and don’t know what applies. You might wanna confirm from people who live and stay there.

Blessings

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by SamReinvented: 10:31am On Dec 17, 2021
Aprokodaughter:

Okay Madam Oga since you sef no indicate your gender.
For a moniker inspecting others you sef do the same with your moniker.

Maybe I’m genderfluid grin grin. Feel free to call me anything cheesy cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 10:37am On Dec 17, 2021
SamReinvented:

Maybe I’m genderfluid grin grin. Feel free to call me anything cheesy cheesy

As how?? Lol
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by 5gee: 10:47am On Dec 17, 2021
Please I need naira, can anyone give me a very good rate?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by omopapa: 11:23am On Dec 17, 2021
How much do you need?
5gee:
Please I need naira, can anyone give me a very good rate?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by 5gee: 11:37am On Dec 17, 2021
omopapa:
How much do you need?
£2000
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mizGene(f): 1:00pm On Dec 17, 2021
fatima04:

From the guidance have read this only applies to Tier 4 students with the degree certificate, but who knows it might just be in one of those other numerous gov.uk documents

Ok, thank you. I will dig around further.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by EmmyKing86(m): 5:33pm On Dec 17, 2021
Hello everyone.

I noticed a few pages ago there seemed to be some confusion about ILR 10 years route, so I would like to share my positive experience.

Date of Standard Online Application: 31/08/2021
Payment Debited & Confirmation email received: 31/08/2021
Documents Uploaded via UKVCAS website: 14/09/2021
Biometrics submitted in person (Cardiff): 15/09/2021
Complex Letter: NONE
Received positive decision email: 17/12/2021
Received BRP: Waiting.

I accumulated the following visas during my 10 years stay: Tier4 student visa (5 years; 1yr Master's, 4yrs Ph.D.), Doctorate Extension Scheme (1yr), Tier 2 skilled visa (4 yrs).

For ILR long residence route (10yrs), you can fast-track the decision via the super-priority payment (extra £800) opened at 1 am (yes, after midnight). I would have done this but was not aware of the 1 am super-priority opening.

For me, it was imperative that I switch from tier 2 to ILR as soon as possible. I have always not really fancied my stay in the UK dependant on my employers or any other party. There are several instances where individuals and their families had to relocate back to Nigeria/other countries because they lost their jobs, company went bust e.t.c. and could not get another sponsor. A lot of people fell victim to this, especially during the pandemic.

A little bit of advice for those who recently came to the UK and are seeking permanent residency in the future is to plan accordingly. Start small and gradually grow big. As you may all have read from people's experiences, it's really not easy particularly for those coming with family on tier4 students visas. I cannot overemphasize cultivating the habit of saving and financial discipline as an application to transfer to another visa category or extend your visa is quite expensive. Also, put into consideration the cost of living e.t.c. Please, don't be too quick to spend lavishly while giving people back at home any kind of false impressions. Again, there are people who had to leave prematurely after making extravagant purchases due to losing their jobs and being unable to find another one on time.

Wishing you all good luck and all the best.

42 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 5:42pm On Dec 17, 2021
EmmyKing86:
Hello everyone.

I noticed a few pages ago there seemed to be some confusion about ILR 10 years route, so I would like to share my positive experience.

I accumulated the following visas during my 10 years stay: Tier4 student visa (5 years; 1yr Master's, 4yrs Ph.D.), Doctorate Extension Scheme (1yr), Tier 2 skilled visa (4 yrs).

For ILR long residence route (10yrs), you can fast-track the decision via the super-priority payment (extra £800) opened at 1 am (yes, after midnight). I would have done this but was not aware of the 1 am super-priority opening.

For me, it was imperative that I switch from tier 2 to ILR as soon as possible. I have always not really fancied my stay in the UK dependant on my employers or any other party. There are several instances where individuals and their families had to relocate back to Nigeria/other countries because they lost their jobs, company went bust e.t.c. and could not get another sponsor. A lot of people fell victim to this, especially during the pandemic.

A little bit of advice for those who recently came to the UK and are seeking permanent residency in the future is to plan accordingly. Start small and gradually grow big. As you may all have read from people's experiences, it's really not easy particularly for those coming with family on tier4 students visas. I cannot overemphasize cultivating the habit of saving and financial discipline as an application to transfer to another visa category or extend your visa is quite expensive. Also, put into consideration the cost of living e.t.c. Please, don't be too quick to spend lavishly while giving people back at home any kind of false impressions. Again, there are people who had to leave prematurely after making extravagant purchases due to losing their jobs and being unable to find another one on time.

Couldn't agree more.

Congratulations!!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by 5gee: 5:54pm On Dec 17, 2021
I also found out about this after I had submitted and booked my biometrics.

EmmyKing86:
Hello everyone.

100% agree. It happened to a former colleague of mine, 2 in fact, both Nigerians. I can't say they lived a lavish lifestyle but did not have enough to go back or remain. They became pitiable sight to behold. One I believe went on a student visa and I don't know what became of the other.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Santa2: 6:07pm On Dec 17, 2021
Ticha:

My brother studied Data Science. He had job offers and accepted one from one of the big 4 before he graduated. With a very good salary package as well as sponsorship.

@Ticha Please did he study this in undergraduate or post-grad.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by amanze54: 6:34pm On Dec 17, 2021
5gee:

100% agree. It happened to a former colleague of mine, 2 in fact, both Nigerians. I can't say they lived a lavish lifestyle but did not have enough to go back or remain. They became pitiable sight to behold. One I believe went on a student visa and I don't know what became of the other.

Looking at all this informed majority decision to pick nursing program against all odds cos you can't really stay out of job while pursing your ILS. Health seem like the most dug pit here that is unfillable
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 6:42pm On Dec 17, 2021
amanze54:

Looking at all this informed majority decision to pick nursing program against all odds cos you can't really stay out of job while pursing your ILS. Health seem like the most dug pit here that is unfillable

Facts
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by gratefulme40: 8:46pm On Dec 17, 2021
5gee:

Well I paid extra 500£ for priority (5days decision), I ended up waiting 20working days so I doubt you would get a decision in 1 working day with super priority especially this Coco season
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ticha: 9:50pm On Dec 17, 2021
Santa2:

@Ticha Please did he study this in undergraduate or post-grad.

Post grad
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ticha: 9:59pm On Dec 17, 2021
Contra5:
Hello,

I just want to appreciate everyone here. You guys are doing a great job. I have learnt so much here from discussions on building credit score to buying a house.

Please be careful when choosing a mortgage advisor. Some of these white folks can only deal with the straightforward cases - they literally know nothing about BREXIT or immigration rules etc. I recall Fatima had said she was calling banks herself. I wish had done that! It's best doing everything yourself because no one knows you more than yourself. After 3 rejections from 3 banks with a 10% deposit and the reason the advisor gave was because of my nationality. I knew something wasn't right!. I got on the phone. Got mortgage approved with Natwest within 2 weeks.

Congratulations! The first house is always a steep learning curve! Especially in this very hot market. For first home buyers - my advice is to always go through your own bank first as they have all your financial history right there and can give you a good idea of your chances.

Re- brokers that's why I use 2 brokers. One for vanilla purchases who of course doesn't charge a fee but any small K leg will say oh you can't get it. The 2nd broker runs interference with the banks and pulls all sorts of mortgage miracles (completely legal o!). It's instructive that he is also BAME (I hate that term) and also owns investment properties.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by tosinhtml: 10:30pm On Dec 17, 2021
Aphrodite007:

I was friends with their friends and them so it wasn't too hard. but i still didnt get it-- they know what they are looking for, for the visa.

Actually those people are really mad I tell you. A friend of mine did it and got it. No lawyers or anything like that. I clearly understood what they were looking when I sat down to analyse it properly.

He had 1 company CEO from the UK, 1 company from central Europe, 2 CEOs from Nigeria. I came to discover that they mostly rate UK company recommendations which is very biased.

Now only the top 1% of people in Nigeria that have this kind of credential which is really unfair.

Also having a volunteering work for humanitarian purpose on your CV is also important.

Overall it’s just 50/50 and no guarantees at all. My conclusion is they are mad.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Dbiks: 10:51pm On Dec 17, 2021
Hello house,
I registered for Naric and someone helped me paid from UK. I got confirmation message but no payment receipt and my status still showing incomplete payment required. Don't know if anyone is familiar with this that can tell me what's happening.
Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by tosinhtml: 10:56pm On Dec 17, 2021
EmmyKing86:
Hello everyone.

Honestly this is one of the reasons why Canadian PR is simply the best for anyone who can go through the hoops to get it. Imagine after spending years in the UK, then one day a company turns it back and say no more visa sponsor.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Domistic: 10:59pm On Dec 17, 2021
Hello My People
What is the best way to send a laptop to Lagos. I needed to send my laptop back to Naija urgently. Does Dhl or Royal Mail work? Abi we have cargo agents that handle that here?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by tosinhtml: 11:42pm On Dec 17, 2021
Domistic:
Hello My People
What is the best way to send a laptop to Lagos. I needed to send my laptop back to Naija urgently. Does Dhl or Royal Mail work? Abi we have cargo agents that handle that here?

Use DHL please, it is expensive but efficient.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by brine(m): 11:57pm On Dec 17, 2021
Contra5:

Congratulations ! I'm wondering if it makes sense to start looking for a house few months before you have your full deposit ? Let's say, you are certain your 25% deposit is going to be available in your account in the next 3months; Can you start looking for a house now? Agreement in principle and a substantial part of the deposit is available to the person.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 2:01am On Dec 18, 2021
brine:

Congratulations ! I'm wondering if it makes sense to start looking for a house few months before you have your full deposit ? Let's say, you are certain your 25% deposit is going to be available in your account in the next 3months; Can you start looking for a house now? Agreement in principle and a substantial part of the deposit is available to the person.

Yes for sure because the whole process takes time and effort

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 2:13am On Dec 18, 2021
tosinhtml:

Also having a volunteering work for humanitarian purpose on your CV is also important.

Overall it’s just 50/50 and no guarantees at all. My conclusion is they are mad.

grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by brine(m): 4:32am On Dec 18, 2021
LagosismyHome:

Yes for sure because the whole process takes time and effort

Thank you smiley
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ticha: 6:55am On Dec 18, 2021
brine:

You only need a 25% deposit if you're buying an investment property. For a house to live in, 10% deposit is the norm. Even if you have more than 10%, with interest rates currently low you're better off starting with 10% and investing the elsewhere. Then overpay monthly/annually if you have spare money.

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (127) (128) (129) (130) (131) (132) (133) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.