Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,652 members, 7,816,675 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:54 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (128) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1177677 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (125) (126) (127) (128) (129) (130) (131) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by OSCARTM: 6:27am On Dec 16, 2021
Toyen51:
Pls I have plans of relocating next year September to Uk with my husband and child through student visa,and I trying to see if I can just do some perfection to my hair making skills,and also learn make up and bridal hair, because I learnt as a student you can only work for 20 hours and also I want to have time for my child too,she is just 2 though my hubby will.b allowed to work ,but u just want to b skilled such that I might not really need a paid employment job,my question is,is hair business lucrative in the UK or I shouldn't bother perfecting the skill,is it worth for me improve on it or is not so lucrative over there , anyone with experience in that aspect pls advice me ,thank you

Yes.....depending on location. You might want to consider areas where there are more blacks like East London, but school fees are expensive in London, though there are also lots of job opportunities.

It is always a good plan to relocate as a family since the dependant can work full time.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by OSCARTM: 6:41am On Dec 16, 2021
Chreze:
With all those my note I still forget something.

I think having the kids medical record is as important as school records (if not more). Get their medical record like which vaccine they have had and when. Especially for the younger kids (babies).

This has to be emphasized more here. For those with kids less than 10yrs old, bring along their immunization cards to enable NHS align to the vaccination programme here.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mizGene(f): 7:01am On Dec 16, 2021
fatima04:
[/b]

Congratulations. Lucky it all got resolved and you were able to get it.

Correct at the bolded, very dogmatic and rigid in their approach and not willing to learn. I know a sponsor whose HR team would rather recruit and train people and willing to let them go in 4 months without without offering sponsorship when it's even seem like the cheapest solution to retain talent.

They keep referring to old rules, anytime you try to educate them.

Meanwhile for current students applying for Tier 2 jobs, one major tip in getting/negotiating for sponsorship is informing/educating the potential employers on the fact that they dont need to pay for Immigration Skills Charge if sponsoring an applicant switching directly from Tier 4 to work visa and subsequently after.

This saves about £1820 for a 5yr sponsorship for a medium or large organisation and the only cost to be incurred is the COS of £199.

Hmmm. I also figured the cost might be a deterrent for some of them. Does this apply also to tier 4 dependents?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by okposm: 7:15am On Dec 16, 2021
AKALAMAGBO:
Congratulations 5gee … Omooo mehn, this particular thread no be for kiddos ooo, I mean sometimes I just imagine the age of some gurus here and I be like OOH; justwise go be around 42 grin TheGuyFromHR go be like that 45 grin LexusGS430 fit be 37 grin Fatima04 maybe 38 grin Aprokodaughter response dey always twist my head one kind, maybe 37 ( me and her still dey same bracket ) grin …… BUT MEHN I respect all of you GURUS and thanks for supporting us upcoming gurus as well, God bless you all… No PUN intended Aprokodaughter angry

You no well grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by umarwy(m): 7:17am On Dec 16, 2021
Lexusgs430:

If you're indirectly enquiring about my age, I would be fair and give you a range.......... grin

I was 37, many years ago ....... wink

This is a fair range 49 - 55 ............ tongue

But I thought you were class mates with tinubu ���

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 7:27am On Dec 16, 2021
AKALAMAGBO:
Congratulations 5gee … Omooo mehn, this particular thread no be for kiddos ooo, I mean sometimes I just imagine the age of some gurus here and I be like OOH; justwise go be around 42 grin TheGuyFromHR go be like that 45 grin LexusGS430 fit be 37 grin Fatima04 maybe 38 grin Aprokodaughter response dey always twist my head one kind, maybe 37 ( me and her still dey same bracket ) grin …… BUT MEHN I respect all of you GURUS and thanks for supporting us upcoming gurus as well, God bless you all… No PUN intended Aprokodaughter angry

Thanks for adding to my age

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 7:41am On Dec 16, 2021
umarwy:

But I thought you were class mates with tinubu ���

Remain small....... You turn go soon reach ........ cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 8:02am On Dec 16, 2021
5gee:
I got my ILR.
10 year route
1 year - Student visa
5 years + tier 2
4 years Spousal/partner
Hopefully I will get my passport in January. Then I can start applying for jobs abroad.
I did not apply for my ILR on tier 2 because I was naive. I was at risk of redundancy with barely 2 months to my ILR and the company wouldn't give me a letter without stating that I was at risk. I didn't feel comfortable applying with that on the letter so I canceled my appointment and when I failed to get another sponsor and not enough time to find a decent job in Nigeria, I applied for a spousal visa which reset my timeline.
In hindsight, I should have applied and I would have been granted it, saving me thousands of pounds in application fees and NHS surcharge. More painful is the fact that I had considered moving back home in the earlier years but got to the point where going back without at least ILR was not logical. Hopefully I find a good role back home or somewhere near grin, Amen.

Congratulations!! Takes a lot to get there
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 8:03am On Dec 16, 2021
AKALAMAGBO:

grin grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Pearlyfaze: 8:50am On Dec 16, 2021
AKALAMAGBO:

You nor see say na ancestors I they call them? . D Lexusgs430 maybe a new car but the owner na ancient and modern.

Abeg na joke oooooh.

Make una continue to dey show us road oooooh.

Thank you all for all you do for us on this street.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mamatukwas: 8:51am On Dec 16, 2021
lawali:
Guess I can say good night shocked. I actually resumed late to this forum. Going by about 30 pages I have read so far, I should have been here earlier.

I will still go back to read part1 and all pages of this part but I am struggling with time now.

I appreciate the creator, Fatimo04, the gurus I know from other group-Justwise, Lagosishome and many amazing folks here.

Ah, my journey on this mission started 3 years back from US thread and back to UK.

As e be now, my family of 6 finally got visa Nov ending. My initial plan is to sort out Accomodation within 3wks b/4 our journey but that was truncated by red listing that lasted for about 2 Wks.

I urgently need help on how to secure reasonable accommodation in Scotland-close to Glasgow/Paisley where I can peacefully raise kids and teenagers. Suggestion of areas to focus on will be appreciated. I have been searching Zoopla for weeks with no success yet. Our journey is this weekend and I think I may just settle for bnb/hotel for now till I sort this out but hoping it will be short to save money.

Pls like which documents do I need to collect from kids schools to transfer to UK school. I have final school results already but not sure if that suffices.

I have many other questions to ask relating to tax benefits for student & partner joint registration for lease, opening bank account, life generally but kindly respond on accommodation thing and school entry documents.

Thank you all.

Everything everyone has said plus if money is not too much of an issue, look into renting in an area called Newton Mearns. It’s lovely and has FANTASTIC schools. Plus very close to Glasgow.

But yeah get there first, do an Air bnb and then move. I think your kids age might determine if you need school records or not. For younger kids, it’s not as relevant.

Good luck.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Pearlyfaze: 8:55am On Dec 16, 2021
Chreze:

You just reminded me of when I came to this place, so make I tell you more.

Getting the Airbnb for 1month might be a good option. When you get to the house here’s what to do and what I consider the order.

1. On the day or night of your arrival. Go to lebara site and order for a SIM card. It’s free. (http://lebara.co.uk/). And they will have it delivered to your apartment in about 48hrs. When buying the SIM card, go for the option of getting an unlimited calling and texting plan with data. The minimum is £5. That unlimited call will help you cos you will spend lots of time trying to understand what an average scots-man has said. The Accent different from the UK accent you think you know.

2. Once you get your sim, open a revolut or Monzo account immediately. Revolut will give you a virtual card. This virtual card you can use to pay for things while you wait for the physical card. Monzo don’t give virtual card but will send a physical card to your apartment in the shortest time.

3. With your SIM card you register for the letting sites and start the proper house search where you can call the landlord. Try to set up viewings for the day your isolation ends. So that you can get on the market quickly.

4. On the day of your stepping out. You can get a one week bus pass. With this bus pass you can go round to check houses with unlimited bus rides. This will help you when you miss you bus stop or your way. You can get the first bus app downloaded, then buy the one week ticket and scan with your phone. The ticket cost £17 for adult and £15 for students. Trust me this ticket will help you as moving with bus is the best option in Glasgow.

5. You can start to perfect your google usage. Especially the map. It’s a safer out here cos it works. One time in naij, google took me and my bro thru a one way street. Na God save us that day we for pay lastma.

The rest I think you will learn by experience and add to your own baking process.

Blessings

Thank you for this.

Please make you put this kind wisdom down for Edinburgh too.
My wife has been looking for accommodation in Edinburgh since November.

I saw a house on Zoopla yesterday that is 11 minutes walk to her office. I will tell her to call the number there.

I noticed houses in Open Rent appears costlier than those in Rightmove or Zoopla. Any specific reason to this?.

Blessings.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 9:53am On Dec 16, 2021
Pearlyfaze:

You nor see say na ancestors I they call them? . D Lexusgs430 maybe a new car but the owner na ancient and modern.

Abeg na joke oooooh.

Make una continue to dey show us road oooooh.

Thank you all for all you do for us on this street.

If pesin patiently digest part 1 & part 11 of this thread.........

You don get expo for life ............. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dupyshoo: 9:56am On Dec 16, 2021
Hehehe!! Can't help laffing at this. grin

AKALAMAGBO:

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by canadaishome: 10:18am On Dec 16, 2021
I feel so sad

Got my first result for one of my modules and it's a C. I was hoping to be on the path to a distinction. The lecturer said not to do too much and to stick to his notes, a course mate that went outside his notes got an A. Was he trying to be funny?
Is it still possible to attain it with this poor start?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 10:20am On Dec 16, 2021
canadaishome:
I feel so sad

Got my first result for one of my modules and it's a C. I was hoping to be on the path to a distinction. The lecturer said not to do too much and to stick to his notes, a course mate that went outside his notes got an A. Was he trying to be funny?

Just remember the tuition paid, expenses and all logistics ......... grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Pearlyfaze: 10:21am On Dec 16, 2021
Lexusgs430:

If pesin patiently digest part 1 & part 11 of this thread.........

You don get expo for life ............. cheesy

Nor be lie.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by canadaishome: 10:25am On Dec 16, 2021
Lexusgs430:

Just remember the tuition paid, expenses and all logistics ......... grin

You're not helping
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by icon8: 10:29am On Dec 16, 2021
Lexusgs430:

If you're indirectly enquiring about my age, I would be fair and give you a range.......... grin

I was 37, many years ago ....... wink

This is a fair range 49 - 55 ............ tongue

I was just about to tell him to change the two 37s in there to 57 and 17 respectively cheesy grin

Baba no go die unless t’o ba d’arugbo wink wink
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dupyshoo: 10:34am On Dec 16, 2021
Sorry to hear about the "C". Did you do your course work well? Always target to get full mark in your course work and you will go into the exams with more confidence and less stress.

Regarding your question, it depends on the University and the no of modules you are doing? I believe you might still be able to earn a distinction though if you do well in your other courses but it is a steep hill to climb.

For the University I attended, to earn a distinction, you will need to have an average of 70 in your taught courses AND above 70 in your dissertation. This means that having 90 in taught courses and 59 in your dissertation means you will finish with a Pass. On the other hand, some schools will calculate the average of everything to determine your final grade.

So, take your time to find the rule for your UNI and get your calculator out to determine if it is still feasible for you, then work towards it.

Nevertheless, in UK, they hardly check for your final grade though.

canadaishome:
I feel so sad

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dovies: 10:36am On Dec 16, 2021
canadaishome:
I feel so sad

Hey,
I was writing my portfolio yesterday and saw my first piece of coursework, I had a C, and if I'll l mark it myself now, I'll probably give myself a pass. But I got better as time went on.

You should learn from it going forward and always look at your assessment marking requirements before you submit any work so you can know what's required of you.

If you can still make a distinction, I dont know but it is not impossible, just focus on your remaining work and
don't give up on what you want to achieve. You'll be alright.

Regards

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 10:39am On Dec 16, 2021
icon8:

I was just about to tell him to change the two 37s in there to 57 and 17 respectively cheesy grin

Baba no go die unless t’o ba d’arugbo wink wink

When you start receiving your private pension statements, you know your free bus pass is not too far away............ grin

All parts of baba are still very active, no blue pills required(yet)........... cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dupyshoo: 10:42am On Dec 16, 2021
Hehehe!! I envy you!! For some of us, maybe pension age will be 80 by the time we are eligible..

Lexusgs430:

When you start receiving your private pension statements, you know your free bus pass is not too far away............ grin

All parts of baba are still very active, no blue pills required............ cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by canadaishome: 11:08am On Dec 16, 2021
dupyshoo:
Sorry to hear about the "C". Did you do your course work well? Always target to get full mark in your course work and you will go into the exams with more confidence and less stress.

Regarding your question, it depends on the University and the no of modules you are doing? I believe you might still be able to earn a distinction though if you do well in your other courses but it is a steep hill to climb.

For the University I attended, to earn a distinction, you will need to have an average of 70 in your taught courses AND above 70 in your dissertation. This means that having 90 in taught courses and 59 in your dissertation means you will finish with a Pass. On the other hand, some schools will calculate the average of everything to determine your final grade.

So, take your time to find the rule for your UNI and get your calculator out to determine if it is still feasible for you, then work towards it.

Nevertheless, in UK, they hardly check for your final grade though.

Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by canadaishome: 12:29pm On Dec 16, 2021
dovies:

Hey,
I was writing my portfolio yesterday and saw my first piece of coursework, I had a C, and if I'll l mark it myself now, I'll probably give myself a pass. But I got better as time went on.

You should learn from it going forward and always look at your assessment marking requirements before you submit any work so you can know what's required of you.

If you can still make a distinction, I dont know but it is not impossible, just focus on your remaining work and
don't give up on what you want to achieve. You'll be alright.

Regards

Thank you for your input
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Contra5(f): 12:36pm On Dec 16, 2021
Hello, I think you can still make a distinction. I will advise you look at your uni's academic regulation guidelines. It says what you need to have a distinction. For some universities, its 4 A's plus A in independent study and you get a distinction. Some its 3 A's plus A in IS. It doesn't matter if you had pass in some as long as you meet the set criteria. There is even borderline marking where your 69.5 can be bumped to 70 so you can make meet certain grade. So, don't be sad. Just understand what each academic wants and give it to them or ask them what they expect. Students have so much power - just know the rules by doing your research and be courteous.
canadaishome:
I feel so sad

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 12:36pm On Dec 16, 2021
canadaishome:
I feel so sad

Just continue to give it your all.... learn from it since you can't change the pass

Just a little whisper.... come closer. Let me tell you. Distinction or not las las you be ok, and its not a prediction of whether the future will be great. .... ok I stop whispering

But its always good to aim for the best but don't feel to sad, better days ahead .

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Contra5(f): 1:11pm On Dec 16, 2021
Hello,

I just want to appreciate everyone here. You guys are doing a great job. I have learnt so much here from discussions on building credit score to buying a house. I moved to my own house in October after 10 months of 'crazy'. Buying a house in the UK is not for the faint hearted. We started looking at houses last year and left to pick it up again in January and it was a case of you put in an offer and some else offers 10k above the asking price. It was a sellers market not sure if it has changed now. Someone here mentioned the Facebook group (First time Buyers) - its really good. Thank you.

Please be careful when choosing a mortgage advisor. Some of these white folks can only deal with the straightforward cases - they literally know nothing about BREXIT or immigration rules etc. I recall Fatima had said she was calling banks herself. I wish had done that! It's best doing everything yourself because no one knows you more than yourself. After 3 rejections from 3 banks with a 10% deposit and the reason the advisor gave was because of my nationality. I knew something wasn't right!. I got on the phone. Got mortgage approved with Natwest within 2 weeks.

It was such a stressful experience. The seller put the house back on the market because she thought we'd never get our mortgage application approved. I don't blame her. On the day of exchange, the bank refused to release funds because of the different names on my passport and application form - pulled out records of all comms with the mortgage advisor where he told me its not a problem. They said the guy resigned a month ago so I had to go physically to the bank. It was past 5pm - knocked on the door and told them to open up. Short story - to survive in the UK, you've got to fight for everything. I don't care if they call me fiesty black lady.

I digress, this is an appreciation post. Thank you all.

33 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mamatukwas: 1:41pm On Dec 16, 2021
Contra5:
Hello,

Congratulations.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by wonlasewonimi: 1:46pm On Dec 16, 2021
Contra5:
Hello,

I just want to appreciate everyone here. You guys are doing a great job. I have learnt so much here from discussions on building credit score to buying a house. I moved to my own house in October after 10 months of 'crazy'. Buying a house in the UK is not for the faint hearted. We started looking at houses last year and left to pick it up again in January and it was a case of you put in an offer and some else offers 10k above the asking price. It was a sellers market not sure if it has changed now. Someone here mentioned the Facebook group (First time Buyers) - its really good. Thank you.

Please be careful when choosing a mortgage advisor. Some of these white folks can only deal with the straightforward cases - they literally know nothing about BREXIT or immigration rules etc. I recall Fatima had said she was calling banks herself. I wish had done that! It's best doing everything yourself because no one knows you more than yourself. After 3 rejections from 3 banks with a 10% deposit and the reason the advisor gave was because of my nationality. I knew something wasn't right!. I got on the phone. Got mortgage approved with Natwest within 2 weeks.

It was such a stressful experience. The seller put the house back on the market because she thought we'd never get our mortgage application approved. I don't blame her. On the day of exchange, the bank refused to release funds because of the different names on my passport and application form - pulled out records of all comms with the mortgage advisor where he told me its not a problem. They said the guy resigned a month ago so I had to go physically to the bank. It was past 5pm - knocked on the door and told them to open up. Short story - to survive in the UK, you've got to fight for everything. I don't care if they call me fiesty black lady.

Congratulations.. Why do I always think you're a guy. Like I always tell new people here, it's very tough at the beginning but gets easier as you push on.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by JustAPasserBy: 2:19pm On Dec 16, 2021
Contra5:
Hello,

Someone here mentioned the Facebook group (First time Buyers) - its really good. Thank you.
I don't care if they call me fiesty black lady.

I always (albeit wrongly) thought that Contra5 was Y-chromosome human.

By the way, which of the Facebook groups did you join?
I see. Lot of them…

2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by iboboyswag(m): 2:26pm On Dec 16, 2021
Contra5:
Hello,

So Contra is a woman?? And here is me thinking you was a dude... grin

Plenty congratulations...

(1) (2) (3) ... (125) (126) (127) (128) (129) (130) (131) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.