Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,341 members, 7,819,202 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:41 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (149) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1181637 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (146) (147) (148) (149) (150) (151) (152) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 9:09am On Dec 30, 2021
AirBay:

Please do you know a cheap and reliable insurance for children in UK?

Note: the children are on dependant visa but didn't pay IHS fees during visa application because their visa was less than 6months.

My employer uses BUPA.
You could try them to see what quotes they'll provide.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ticha: 9:57am On Dec 30, 2021
Lexusgs430:

So your friend separated her mum and dad, at death....... Buried one, in constant and continuous summer and the other in continuous & constant winter......... cheesy

No o, they want you and other willing contributor's, fund the corpse repatriation logistics (possibly because mama said, they must bury her in nigeria)........

grin grin The family drama that ensued following that decision ehn...
Apparently papa said he must be buried at home. Mama enforced it with lots of wailing and crying. For her dad's repatriation, she and her sister (both in the UK) ended up owing money left, right and centre. Mama fell ill just after she returned from 9ja (she spent 5 months at home) and never recovered. Both parents had ILR and were retired but as our people can be somehow with future financial planning, they had absolutely no savings and were just drawing standard government pension.

My in laws have insurance in place to cover the cost of their funerals which was shocking to me initially as per no be our way. FIL wants to be buried and has a plot ready (bought one in his 40s, he's now early 70s). MIL wants to be cremated and her ashes scattered in the Scottish Highlands - her favourite place. All documented in their wills and they tell us often what they want

8 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 10:09am On Dec 30, 2021
Ticha:

Apparently papa said he must be buried at home. Mama enforced it with lots of wailing and crying. For her dad's repatriation, she and her sister (both in the UK) ended up owing money left, right and centre. Mama fell ill just after she returned from 9ja (she spent 5 months at home) and never recovered. Both parents had ILR and were retired but as our people can be somehow with future financial planning, they had absolutely no savings and were just drawing standard government pension.

My in laws have insurance in place to cover the cost of their funerals which was shocking to me initially as per no be our way. FIL wants to be buried and has a plot ready (bought one in his 40s, he's now early 70s). MIL wants to be cremated and her ashes scattered in the Scottish Highlands - her favourite place. All documented in their wills and they tell us often what they want

So without savings, he left an order to have his corpse repatriated?..... ?

Walahi, if nah my papa...... All I would owe him is cremation.......... cheesy

10 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 10:11am On Dec 30, 2021
AirBay:

Note: the children are on dependant visa but didn't pay IHS fees during visa application because their visa was less than 6months.

NHS would look after the children nah ..........
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by elisinho(m): 10:11am On Dec 30, 2021
Lexusgs430:

I will even open gofund me for the cremation money cos I can't use my money

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 10:18am On Dec 30, 2021
Ticha:

I find all those funeral insurance adverts such as the Coop Funeral Care one most interesting.
I always wonder how such providers make money given that this is an insurance policy that every subscriber is definitely going to claim on.
In no event will I run into debt to repatriate the remains of any parent who has not already made provision for their repatriation. All I owe them is an interment/cremation, not a funeral in a specific location.

I've no interest whatsoever in what my dependents do with my remains postmortem, but plan to specifically leave instructions and provision for cremation. If they decide to inter at their own expense, good for them.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 10:18am On Dec 30, 2021
elisinho:

I will even open gofund me for the cremation money cos I can't use my money

I have a BBQ machine in the Garden............ grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Bukiegbegi: 10:20am On Dec 30, 2021
Good morning everyone,
I wanted to find out if anyone has been refused the PSW visa and also can I start a full time permanent job on my T4 visa and then switch to the PSW after three months?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mamatukwas: 10:28am On Dec 30, 2021
Lexusgs430:

Ahhhh! You want to Barbecue Papa & Mama?? Fear God oh smiley

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kode12: 10:36am On Dec 30, 2021
they can give you a fixed term contract pending your PSW or skilled worker visa.
Bukiegbegi:
Good morning everyone,
I wanted to find out if anyone has been refused the PSW visa and also can I start a full time permanent job on my T4 visa and then switch to the PSW after three months?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ticha: 10:37am On Dec 30, 2021
TheGuyFromHR:

I find all those funeral insurance adverts such as the Coop Funeral Care one most interesting.
I always wonder how such providers make money given that this is an insurance policy that every subscriber is definitely going to claim on.

Theirs is part of their life insurance. With the others, they do charge annual admin fees plus invest the money don't they? So the funeral insurance companies make money on the premiums paid. I have specific instructions to be cremated wherever I kpai. Ajala traveller is my middle name and once we retire, I plan to just travel and travel. Our life insurance is sorted as well as wills and guardians for the children especially as we have young children. Last thing I want is for my children to end up in state care whilst our estate is being sorted which can take forever.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kode12: 10:37am On Dec 30, 2021
Lexusgs430:

I no doubt you at all. Na you be Sapa chief whip

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by fatima04: 11:44am On Dec 30, 2021
Ticha:

They need to bury mama there o and then pay the hospital bills by agreeing a payment plan for the rest of their lives. The cost of repatriating a corpse home no get part 2. ,My friend did it for her dad and when the mum followed suit 7 months later, they just buried mama in London.

No time to be repatriating corpse to Nigeria in this climate grin grin. Burial alone in this country sef is expensive, learnt cremation can be the cheapest at almost £3k.

This go fund me was setup to cover the hospital bills and funeral (which is even more expensive in canada). Paying hospital bills for ones whole life thats scary. Do this things happen with NHS in the UK because it doesn't seem common.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jesmond3945: 11:44am On Dec 30, 2021
fatima04:

On the other hand, I believe its better moving as a family than single unit especially because of Financial stability and being with your family also helps reduce the mental struggle and challenges of this country.

It's all about proper planning, the scenario I will/have advise is, wife comes to study (she may work 20hrs or not) husband works full time. Provided husband is not lazy and his focused, he can make between 2k to 2k5 working with Amazon or doing care jobs for example. (Posotion can be reversed as long as they are both cooperative with each other).

If they don't acquire avoidable expense like car, car insurance, eating out etc they start to find their feet within a couple of months.

Regarding childcare, there are ways to structure your working pattern to fit each others task, either one works night for certainly days and day for the partner. It's a tough process but doable and the fact you see your kids adapting abd growing well compensate for all the hustle.

Last strategy which I will implore people to explore is community or Thrift funding for post study savings. Its just like saving for a mortgage, people come together to combine resources.

E.g a family of 4 or 5 needs 8k -10k, find *reliable* group of people including your partner come together and do a contribution of £500 per month and try to structure or ensure the month you are both due payment is close to your PSW application. You would soon have the savings completed with less financial burden.

Like I stated, this is about meeting and setting it up with the right people at the right time (especially the last few 4 to 5 months when the partner can work full time).

All in all, both student or Tier 2 or any other category of migrant should pace themselves and focus on their goal and eventually it all works out.

Approach of thrift would also be useful for Skilled worker application as the cost is in similar range for a family PSW application.

if you do such contribution, you discover you have nothing left at the end of the month. Is it not better that you contribute and buy properties in Naija than staking 10k pounds when there is no guarantee you would recover the money. When you consider cost of living and the tax system. If is ILR I would support such contribution. Psw is good for single and not for families
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by fatima04: 11:45am On Dec 30, 2021
AirBay:

Do you mean health insurance? The kids should be entitled to free healthcare once resident in the UK. I wouldn't really get health insurance for kids as they are mostly exempted from paying anyways
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by fatima04: 11:46am On Dec 30, 2021
Raalsalghul:

At a point, most have to accept it's a money making scheme. Those guys are making a killing.

Not at a point, from inception. The UKVI or home office system is set up on making money from both applicant to school sponsor and work sponsor.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jesmond3945: 11:47am On Dec 30, 2021
canadaishome:

That money for psw is just annoying.
Apart from the ten year route, the PSW visa doesn't do much to get pr
i see it as a trap. However, if you have skills you can get a job easily.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DFmum: 11:47am On Dec 30, 2021
No offence my sister, I really appreciateall your responses on this, am already in UK working. Just that I really missed my family, my kids �, Its as if am incomplete, I think God knows the best in this matter. I have gotten a solicitor to help me because I can't bring one kid and leave the other, let all stay back till its resolved. Since I will only need to renew my sons vignette if he doesn't come in within 90days of the visa issuance. author=Mamatukwas post=108911794]

No offense intended re: different dads.

I know they refused to give a friends daughter visa initially although she applied as a single parent on the tier 4 route (but with shared parental responsibility) The reason given was that she would not be able to take care of her child and go to school. And according to her she had savings for child care. Fortunately she was able to get the dad to apply and they gave her child visa.

Saying this to say it seems that they are unwilling to grant visas to small children when it’s obvious you can’t care for them solo. Maybe get an immigration lawyer las las or go first and wait for your younger child to be a bit older. It can’t be easy to be in your shoes. Pele. I hope you find help. [/quote]

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DFmum: 11:53am On Dec 30, 2021
Am not schooling , working here in NHS Trust as a nurse. Just wondering why they gave one child and refused the other.
justwise:

All the ECO wants to know is who will be looking after those kids while you study since the daddy will not be traveling.

Single mums do get a visa but you have to convince the ECO that your kids wellbeing in the UK is taken care of.

Even as your mum may likely come but she is not part of the solution visa-wise.

1. Arrange school/day care for your kids that covers time and days you will be at the university

2. Contact the day care/school and make inquiry then get respondent evidence for visa purposes.

3. Provide financial document to show that you are financially capable of taking care of those kids for the next one year

4. Explain this in a letter to the ECO that you have made arrangement for your kid with evidences and attach them to AR package.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by fatima04: 11:54am On Dec 30, 2021
jesmond3945:
if you do such contribution, you discover you have nothing left at the end of the month. Is it not better that you contribute and buy properties in Naija than staking 10k pounds when there is no guarantee you would recover the money. When you consider cost of living and the tax system. If is ILR I would support such contribution. Psw is good for single and not for families

So you would rather wait until they turn to illegal citizens? They moved to the UK with a purpose not to buy properties in Nigeria or relocate back. What happens to the single applicant after PSW without a job sponsorship as well.

Immigration to the UK is generally expensive, best to accept that on time and strategise properly.

Also, do you know how much it takes even the medical professionals to the point of ILR (excluding nurses because employer pays for all) to migrate and stay in the UK?

The positive thing about Covid is the IHS scrapped for the healthcare professionals if not it will be the same expensive cost for everybody. And looking forward to when they scrap it for Tier 2 applicant as well

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by fatima04: 11:57am On Dec 30, 2021
I see people are more open to cremation than I thought, that's interesting for Nigerians. Advise to people migrating sort out life insurance, critical illness, trust and wills asap. You don't want your family to be distressed if anything happens.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by fatima04: 11:58am On Dec 30, 2021
DFmum:
Am not schooling , working here in NHS Trust as a nurse. Just wondering why they gave one child and refused the other.

It's quite tough, could be because of the whole consent issues and both parents being in the UK. I believe you can appeal the decision if their is consent from their father included in the application.

Hope you find a way out soon
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 12:09pm On Dec 30, 2021
fatima04:

So you would rather wait until they turn to illegal citizens? They moved to the UK with a purpose not to buy properties in Nigeria or relocate back. What happens to the single applicant after PSW without a job sponsorship as well.

Immigration to the UK is generally expensive, best to accept that on time and strategise properly.

Well said at the bolded.
Lamenting and ranting about the costs of all the numerous visas helps in no way whatsoever to change that fact.

Like every other significant action in life, prospective immigrants should research properly, assess their options and chances realistically and not Nigerian-style (hoping for the best), then make their decisions.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by humblemoi: 12:44pm On Dec 30, 2021
Snowhitey:
Hello, anyone in Hatfield Hertfordshire?
What’s rent like over there? I see on Rightmove £1,250 to £1,300 for a 2 bedroom ��‍♀️
Is rent negotiable there?
Thanks
As one who used to live in Hatfield, I'd say the cost you have quoted sounds about right. More so if you are looking at 2 bedroom houses as against flats.
You may wish to consider Brookmans Park, Welham Green or Colney Heath for accommodation which should be cheaper to Hatfield and accessible via Uno bus to the University.
Best of luck.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Uzonma: 12:53pm On Dec 30, 2021
Hello house
Can I spend dollars or exchange it to pounds in the UK?
Looks like banks hardly give pounds for PTA
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Icesnow(f): 12:56pm On Dec 30, 2021
SirWellington:

I don't think so. Unless you are on your PSW visa.
Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jesmond3945: 1:08pm On Dec 30, 2021
fatima04:

Also, do you know how much it takes even the medical professionals to the point of ILR (excluding nurses because employer pays for all) to migrate and stay in the UK?

The positive thing about Covid is the IHS scrapped for the healthcare professionals if not it will be the same expensive cost for everybody. And looking forward to when they scrap it for Tier 2 applicant as well
what is the essence of relocating to uk without anything to show back home. People will deride and curse you. For tier 2, I would not mind but not for tier 4. Imagine taking your last card to do psw for you and your family while hoping for the best. I see it as unwise.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 1:18pm On Dec 30, 2021
I think sharing experiences helps give the reality of things. Make I share my story.

I have always believed in carrying my load (family) to everywhere I go to. My reasons are:

1. I get this inspiration when I see them.

2. I want them to enjoy everything I enjoy.

3. Financially I believe it will be too much having to keep my family in Naija or anywhere else and me being away. The maintenance cost will be high, as I will be doing everything in two’s …

4. Naija is not a safe place. What that means is you will always have your BP going up and down with the constant security issues in Nigeria (kidnapping and killing)

Even before our child came to the picture we traveled together and when one was going for training, the other will look for a short course to do (this is expensive, part of the reason our child came 2yrs after our marriage). This helped us grow together, as well as have similar-same goals.

Fast forward to coming to the UK. My wife was watching our son while I attend classes and do my part time crypto trading. We were good. Could afford all we needed. But I noticed my wife wasn’t happy as she felt like she should be working to help out financially. I tried to explain to her that the most important thing was helping the family which she was doing already. After my first semester I had no other option as having an unhappy partner is the last thing any man wants so I gave in and she got a Job.

Now the battle was taking care of a 2years old active male child, attending classes, and trading crypto daily (cos new variance of covid regularly means business could shut down again). The first weeks wasn’t funny as it was a lot for me. My wife tries to bath him and give him breakfast before she leaves. But some days it was too early and I don’t like to wake someone up from sleep to do anything. (In fact I still carry one of my mum sister for mind cos she use to wake me up then for irrelevant things).

It was challenging, in fact for the first time in my life, I thought maybe it wasn’t a good idea to come with them to the UK together. That was the first time I ever had that thought and was unhappy to even think that way. Luckily the next day was my wife’s off and early in the morning 7am, I took a 20mins walk just to get my mind and head together. While I was walking I noticed how beautiful the city is and I immediately got a reminder of why I like to carry my family with me everywhere I go. Na there e con click say things can’t be the same with a child involved and that the best thing for me was to enjoy the challenges. And that was it.

When I went back home, I became my normal self. Already my wife was doing all the shopping in the house with her card and she wasnt using my card. So I started enjoying not selling my coins to have pounds. I just changed my mindset towards everything and decided to accept and have fun with everything that comes my way. I normally don’t take this sweet drinks as I prefer fruit, but we buy them cos my wife and son likes to take them. I told my self I was gonna finish the juice she buys in less than 2days. To my surprise she was replacing them after I finish am. For lectures, I attended only the classes that was perfect for me and my son’s timing and watched records for the ones that didnt suit us. For group meetings (teams and zoom) I was constantly muted and only unmute to contribute (of course before the start of any meeting I declare to them that I will be muted because my child is here and i didn’t want them to add “ one little finger to our project”). I played with everything that concerned him and school. There was a day I was having a project meeting with one of my team and a guy asked if I had any final note to add to our work I just type “ twinkle twinkle little star” . They all started laughing and i told them thanks for accepting most of my contributions via chat rather than the usual call.

Now for result, first semester with my wife watching our son, I got only B’s and 1 D (no A’s). For the second semester I had combined duties , I got equal number of A and B with only 1C (the C was in a 10unint course, I believe it won’t matter much) . Third and final semester was project (result is not out) but I hope to get something better as I had a better understanding of time management and Timaya’s song - “this life I can’t kill my self o”.

Having kids and studying can not be an easy thing for any one weather man or woman. My advice is don’t try it, it stresses you mentally and if you are unable to manage the situation properly you will become aggressive towards your child (for doing children things).

To the lady that talked about her children and husband’s situation. You have gotten lots of good advise here from different people, I even had to share my story because of you. But don’t take any of the advise you have been offered, take only the one you and your husband agree to. Be careful not to force any of the suggested ideas on here to your partner, as this may not yield a good result. Just take your time and trust me the right idea will come to you. Remember you only got advise for the part of your situation you shared, they may not be the best idea considering your situation (which as human we can’t share completely with anyone except God).

For anyone (weather man or woman) considering coming to the UK with kids and partner. Just know that it won’t be easy, even money can’t do it (if you care a lot about who is actually watching your child) and the man must be ready to take care of the child(ren) after-all na you born them.

One thing I have told myself in this life is that I will have the best and perfect relationship with my child(ren). I want them to be able to share any and everything with me knowing that I won’t judge them but love them.

Last last na God de help us. So always seek for him in everything.

48 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by umarwy(m): 1:19pm On Dec 30, 2021
jesmond3945:
what is the essence of relocating to uk without anything to show back home. People will deride and curse you. For tier 2, I would not mind but not for tier 4. Imagine taking your last card to do psw for you and your family while hoping for the best. I see it as unwise.

What will people say syndrome.

Are you relocating for the opportunity of a better life for yourself and your family?

Or you are relocating to impress/oppress people back home in Nigeria??

Your goal will determine your priorities.

Good luck

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 1:23pm On Dec 30, 2021
@dfmum I just read where you said you are not schooling but working. I don’t think it would be different, in fact it might even be worse as your crazy colleagues or boss may provoke you at work and you go de vex go house. It happened with my wife some times. I told her to always quench the fire for our door before she open am enter house cos no be we cause her problem (lol).

@ dr Lexus. I get one story wey I go gist you about one of my neighbor wey I go blow her eyes this new year if she no careful with me. Hehehehehehe. I go gist una for night, I think my village people or my wife village people de try reach us thru her.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 1:34pm On Dec 30, 2021
Lexusgs430:

Hello bro

Do you know how much the cremation costs?

That's exactly what I'd like
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 1:46pm On Dec 30, 2021
jesmond3945:

There so many that bought lands in naija and after payment story enter the matter.... this your advice needs advice

jesmond3945:
what is the essence of relocating to uk without anything to show back home. [b]People will deride and curse you. [/b]For tier 2, I would not mind but not for tier 4. Imagine taking your last card to do psw for you and your family while hoping for the best. I see it as unwise.

Deride and curse you....are you living your life for others comment. You better set your set free and live your life for yourself

10 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (146) (147) (148) (149) (150) (151) (152) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.