Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,886 members, 7,810,407 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:29 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (151) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1169277 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (148) (149) (150) (151) (152) (153) (154) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 7:54pm On Dec 30, 2021
Lexusgs430:

This is for premium cremation........ If you just want easy BBQ roasting...... It's under £900.00....... grin

grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 7:56pm On Dec 30, 2021
Chreze:

Lol.

@lexusgs430 what of donating of organs? Sey if person donate NHs go handle the other parts of the body? Hahahahahahahhaha. You can’t donate and still get cost to attend to na Abi?

Una no go kill person with this dead body matter wey una bring come table.

You can donate your body for science and research....... Within 4 hours of passing, they would take the corpse away ..........

But, nah so pesin family hate am reach...... Wey den go wan claim your body ............ wink

Change your ways ......... tongue
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 8:08pm On Dec 30, 2021
Chreze:

Lol.

@lexusgs430 what of donating of organs? Sey if person donate NHs go handle the other parts of the body? Hahahahahahahhaha. You can’t donate and still get cost to attend to na Abi?

Una no go kill person with this dead body matter wey una bring come table.

The bottomline is, if you love your family and don't want them to be financially impacted, upon your demise.........

GET A LIFE INSURANCE POLICY, IT'S NOT TOO EXPENSIVE ........... IT'S NEVER TOO LATE, TILL YOU ARE LATE .......... cheesy

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by fatima04: 9:15pm On Dec 30, 2021
hustla:

He's in Uni on a 1 year course and has to pay his school fees

Thats what happens when they search for schools with cheap deposit and think they can work their way through the rest of the fees. A lot of students are stranded now and even school withdrawing sponsorship. You won't see them on NL sharing their stories.

Whether single or married, research and plan your journey properly

10 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by fatima04: 9:21pm On Dec 30, 2021
Mamatukwas:

I asked this a few days back and didn’t get an answer. I’ve gotten information that seems to suggest that being on the HCPC register gives you an edge with getting jobs on this Visa. Still investigating but it might be worth looking into for those considering the route.

Please share your journey if you make progress. Doing all my research for family members who I love but are genuinely anti internet. Ko easy

The healthcare route is a bit tricky. Doesn't require being registered as far as I have seen. The salary requirements is the major thing and a willing sponsor. For the only person I have seen get it, she is already in the UK and driving.

The driving helps your application as the shortages are more common with Domiciliary care jobs.
Check "healthcare jobs with Tier 2 sponsorship" on indeed. You will see loads of advert.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by fatima04: 9:25pm On Dec 30, 2021
Ladyzain:

I equally know they can apply as dependents but my main concern is as I have a 3 year old and since the father is not applying for Visa now won't they raise a flag in granting the little boy's Visa looking at ability to care for him since he can't start school immediately. Please has anyone applied this way with a toddler and 2 children for skilled worker HAC visa without the spouse and the children including the toddler was granted? I hope they will not raise child care issue as spouse will not apply for Visa now? Need clarification please

Just apply together to save the stress. He doesn't have to stay back once he gets his BRP. It's a cheaper and less stressful option for you. Unless there is another reason he can't apply with you.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by SirWellington(m): 9:28pm On Dec 30, 2021
Mamatukwas:

I asked this a few days back and didn’t get an answer. I’ve gotten information that seems to suggest that being on the HCPC register gives you an edge with getting jobs on this Visa. Still investigating but it might be worth looking into for those considering the route.

Please share your journey if you make progress. Doing all my research for family members who I love but are genuinely anti internet. Ko easy

I doubt if any registration is needed or gives an edge of any sort. The two people I know who have gotten the visas attested to this.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mamatukwas: 9:46pm On Dec 30, 2021
SirWellington:

I doubt if any registration is needed or gives an edge of any sort. The two people I know who have gotten the visas attested to this.

Okay. So they simply applied straight for a sponsored job and got it? If that is so, thank you. That is good to know.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ukay2: 9:47pm On Dec 30, 2021
fatima04:

Thats what happens when they search for schools with cheap deposit and think they can work their way through the rest of the fees. A lot of students are stranded now and even school withdrawing sponsorship. You won't see them on NL sharing their stories.

I have told friends with capacity for tier 2 sponsorship visa to work towards it than students visa.....most won't understand.

While should l pay to study when l can work to get paid...just to write medics exams and you get licence to practice with tier 2 sponsorship for you and your family.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 10:06pm On Dec 30, 2021
fatima04:

Right

They'll say "What God cannot do does not exist"

cheesy

9 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 10:32pm On Dec 30, 2021
hustla:

Bro, I Wan take crypt0 serious for 2022 o

You fit teach me small? cry

Great stuff. Check YouTube

https://youtube.com/c/SheldonEvansx

And

https://youtube.com/c/JRNYCrypto

Go to the pages of these two guys. Watch their intro to crypto videos. Then in order not to spoil this tread, you can create one crypto tread that we will all contribute, then I can tell you how I do my daily trading and the exchanges I use for trading as well.

NB: those YouTube links are just to learn the basics and have proper idea, you don’t have to buy the coins they talk about as some are paid sponsorship by some token owners. But they both have very good knowledge and I have found both of them to be good at teaching what they know.

My trading pattern is what I tried myself and it worked for me, I will tell you how I do it and you can try it too, I believe it will work too and if doesn’t work for you, you will tweak it a little to fit you like we all do.

28 Likes 22 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 10:37pm On Dec 30, 2021
Chreze:

Great stuff. Check YouTube

https://youtube.com/c/SheldonEvansx

And

https://youtube.com/c/JRNYCrypto

Go to the pages of these two guys. Watch their intro to crypto videos. Then in order not to spoil this tread, you can create one crypto tread that we will all contribute, then I can tell you how I do my daily trading and the exchanges I use for trading as well.

Bookmarked as first assignment for 2022

Many thanks

grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Raalsalghul: 11:34pm On Dec 30, 2021
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jesmond3945: 11:50pm On Dec 30, 2021
IcecoldDon:

I think you are right about the increased number of matured people trying to emigrate from Nigeria case in point myself. So I will attempt to address your very candid observations from my own situation. Due to the Covid situation of 2020, as well as the sheer number and strict requirements concerning approval, Canadian PR was always a tall order for me and I am sure a lot of people, so when I made up my mind to move I needed a situation where I could have 90% plus assurance of visa application success i.e. UK student visa.

All the points you made about the financial requirements are extremely spot on, in fact I will go on to add another point which I am not sure many people are aware off, and i only came to know a couple of weeks ago, which is that if you intend to apply for post study, and you came alone like me, your spouse and kids must be in UK 6 months to the time of application for them to benefit as you won't be able to bring them over later unlike the student visa scenario. However, I must remind you that you failed to put into context the current situation in Nigeria. Not only are things not how they were in the 90s/00s, they are not even how they were 2012 -2014. What I mean by this is that if you are looking at the overall picture like me with 3 kids aged 5,3 and 7 months living in Abuja, most of the success indicators of the middle class in terms of land acquisition, building, good schools, holidays etc are gradually moving out of reach year by year. Primary education is the foundation of the child and yet you have to pay anything between 50 -250k per term per child for an standard and acceptable school exclusive of those upper class brands. What now happens at secondary school level which is just 6 years away despite the fact they are not even on the same planet with what the western world can offer? Buying of lands and building of houses are no longer the sensible investments they once was, Nigerian insane inflation has ensured that. I am in that industry and I can guarantee you that, except you can afford going into the proper real estate sector which we all know what that means financially.

I think the main issue is the fact that most people coming out do not plan meticulously, have a complete picture of how both spouses will complement each other through out the first year in terms of monthly expenses and inflow, try and get extra funds to bring to UK to act as buffer/safety net even while studying/working, understand and accept how tough the first few months will be even before stepping foot in UK, target and plan for a white collar job/profession even if for the first year they are doing warehouse or whatever, try to always budget for every target properly using excel or simply writing each line item down in a specific book - don't leave anything to chance or memory.

I got here in October, and I get the fear of not getting a sponsored job in my field here especially as i left a good job back home, but I just try to compare the next 5 years here or in Nigeria with the spread benefits on my family and not just me, and i have to say that the only reason Nigeria is even in the conversation is because I do not have a job here yet. I feel that folks with families that want to emigrate should treat it like how they approached marriage i.e. there is a level of maturity required that would ensure that just making more money here than Nigeria or just for vanity purposes is not the sole main reason why you would take such a huge step. This would ensure a level of wisdom and patience to approach all the endless trials you would face as I having been facing myself as well. Lol. Let me stop for now.

good write up especially targeting white collar jobs. Thats the only you would stay afloat and give your family the best.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jesmond3945: 11:55pm On Dec 30, 2021
hustla:
From discussions on this thread, it seems entering the UK via the student route as a single person without kids is the best

Spoke to a friend who is currently with his family in London, baba just dey lament about bills and school fees - I doubt he knows that he will have to pay for psw for wife and kids also

Most people entering the UK don't have info about stuff I've seen on here and it's quite shocking. In all thy wanting to Japa, Japaing with sense and a solid plan - nothing beats that

A friend who studied Cybersecurity doesn't even know about the visa routes available and how to go about ILR, I jus dey wonder

When you ask them to read nairaland and source for free info, the default answer is always "I no sabi use am"
lol.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jesmond3945: 11:58pm On Dec 30, 2021
Chreze:

Thank you for this.

I have said this in the student room and will say it here again. You are relocating to any country out of Naija, learn two things:
1. Trading (crypto or stock)
2. Hand work as we call it in Naija. One I have found to be very profiting is baking (cake and pies)

Both require less amount of money to learn and practice. Baking flour and sugar are very cheap here in the UK and the house you rented has an oven with tray inside.

Trading, depending on which and your level of knowledge can give you atleast 20% of your investment 3 times a week (if you do daily trading and eliminate human greed). The good thing is times have changed, this things you can Learn on YouTube. There are lots of videos and people teaching this things online for free. Why for free, because they already made millions so your $100 learning fee won’t increase them, plus focus is on making more millions and the only way to do this is having more people investing.

If you think trading is risky and you don’t want that level of risk. Then learn how to bake. There are breakfast restaurants everywhere in the UK. In fact everywhere in the world (except Nigeria). Bakers or pastry chef make good pay and restaurant job is always available. why is the job always available becauese these are part time job done by students, so when they finish their study, they move job or relocate. Automatically a spot is available for the next man. Also restaurant owners tends to open more branches/outlets when they see their business growing. One thing people hardly tell you is that whites like to employ Africans (Nigerians) not just because of our strength. But because of our problem solving skills. Nigerians and Indians are one of the most loved, forget the scam stories and all, a wise man knows that there are negative people in every part of the world.

Eliminate that spirit of saying everything you don’t know is a lie. No b lie, on this same chat room I met one guy who is also into trading and we spoke over the phone once for about an hour. Within that 1hour we shared how we trade, I learnt a lot from just that one hour call. The guy disappeared or I disappeared and we never spoke again. We should learn to use the internet. Life’s are changing everyday by just simply learning things on YouTube and zoom by people.

Early this year, when the covid tied the world, I don’t know if people were scared of end time or it was just God touching peoples heart. Free training con full everywhere online. Even in a areas that ought to be rare like cybersecurity. Zoom had free open rooms you could join and learn things for free.

Knowledge is everything. Make we de learn.
coinbase pro or binance?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 12:15am On Dec 31, 2021
jesmond3945:
coinbase pro or binance?

Binance for long term coins and Gate for daily trading.

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by canadaishome: 12:48am On Dec 31, 2021
jesmond3945:
what is the essence of relocating to uk without anything to show back home. People will deride and curse you. For tier 2, I would not mind but not for tier 4. Imagine taking your last card to do psw for you and your family while hoping for the best. I see it as unwise.

Who cares what people think?
This mindset is self destructive

11 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by canadaishome: 12:56am On Dec 31, 2021
jesmond3945:
lol. Staying in Uk comes at a huge price. Is only when you invest back home that you would have something to fall back on.

Not everyone wants to go back to Nigeria or have any assets there. At the end of the day, each to their own

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by canadaishome: 2:13am On Dec 31, 2021
Mamatukwas:

I've been looking for information on this as well. Thank you
Can anyone regardless of academic background register on the HCPC?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by canadaishome: 2:14am On Dec 31, 2021
tushqueen:

I don't know about anyone else but I don't send money home because of what they will think, I send because I have a sense of duty to some folks at home. I don't do it for anyone, I do it for my self and God.

If you lie flat and ask people to walk on you, they will still complain you ain't flat enough. So do your bit for your self and God if you believe in Him

This is me as well
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by canadaishome: 2:15am On Dec 31, 2021
SirWellington:

Ah ok
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by canadaishome: 2:16am On Dec 31, 2021
ukay2:

I have told friends with capacity for tier 2 sponsorship visa to work towards it than students visa.....most won't understand.

While should l pay to study when l can work to get paid...just to write medics exams and you get licence to practice with tier 2 sponsorship for you and your family.

But not everyone is in the medical field
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by canadaishome: 4:57am On Dec 31, 2021
Chreze:
I think sharing experiences helps give the reality of things. Make I share my story.

Last last na God de help us. So always seek for him in everything.

I like that you have something else going as opposed to relying on the 20 hours weekly job
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Raalsalghul: 5:35am On Dec 31, 2021
gratefulme40:

These ones still have a lot of learning and unlearning to do in this UK otherwise they will be adding to the numbers soon

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Which numbers, care to expatiate?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by SirWellington(m): 5:49am On Dec 31, 2021
Mamatukwas:

Okay. So they simply applied straight for a sponsored job and got it? If that is so, thank you. That is good to know.

Yes. Or better still if you are in that line, you can be sponsored by your agency if they see your enthusiasm.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by canadaishome: 5:53am On Dec 31, 2021
Has anyone here done support worker job previously?
Can you please share your experience
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ticha: 7:24am On Dec 31, 2021
canadaishome:
Has anyone here done support worker job previously?
Can you please share your experience

It's hard work especially if in the hospital or nursing home. Physically demanding and can be monotonous. Quite a bit of personal care - washing, changing incontinent pads, showering where required, feeding including actually spoon feeding like you would a baby. For clients with mobility issues, there's hoisting in and out of bed, chairs etc. Some are bed bound, so there's turning the client to avoid bedsores as well. Emptying catheters, cleaning colostomy bags if any. Shifts can be long - breaks are very welcome and sometimes, that's all the break you get unless you smoke haha

On the other hand, some can be relatively easy where the client is mainly mobile and capable and needs supervision and guidance - ie reminding them to wash, brush, cut food into smaller pieces, cook for them, take them out for walks, appointments etc. This is also same for learning disability care as well. Although with learning disability, some of the clients can also exhibit violent and aggressive tendencies to include hitting, biting, spiting etc.

There's palliative care - end of life stage - where clients have a syringe driver in and are basically waiting to die so likely also nil by mouth, tube fed and maybe intubated and the support worker's role is to keep them comfortable. So there isn't much to do apart from sitting around and ensuring their comfort.

Nights vary in different places but day support is almost always harder - although you're also not allowed to sleep on shift at night but there can be differences and nuances in different providers. Some will have a sleep in person.

There's also support work for supporting children in care - neurotypical children and or those with LD as well. It's very very similar to a teacher/ parent/ guardian role. You do get lots of being sworn at, rooms thrashed, some fixating behaviour etc.

Support work will also have you despairing about humanity and oyinbo life in general. You get the see the best and worst of humanity and realise that wahala and family drama full everywhere

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by obitryce(m): 8:03am On Dec 31, 2021
Support work from my experience depends on the organisation and support services they provide. The one I Work with is more like a private service provider. We go to people's homes, homes or hostel managed by the company. Basically shifts done are also different, some you are just sent to sleep there just to ensure staff presence and take records of your observations. You don't need to give medication if not med trained. Also there are waking nights were you are meant to be awake incase the service user/users might require assistance later at night but from my experience it's not being a difficult job. I end up most times just watching Netflix or sleeping through the night after I've made sure the service user/users have been settled in.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by canadaishome: 8:17am On Dec 31, 2021
Ticha:

It's hard work especially if in the hospital or nursing home. Physically demanding and can be monotonous. Quite a bit of personal care - washing, changing incontinent pads, showering where required, feeding including actually spoon feeding like you would a baby. For clients with mobility issues, there's hoisting in and out of bed, chairs etc. Some are bed bound, so there's turning the client to avoid bedsores as well. Emptying catheters, cleaning colostomy bags if any. Shifts can be long - breaks are very welcome and sometimes, that's all the break you get unless you smoke haha

On the other hand, some can be relatively easy where the client is mainly mobile and capable and needs supervision and guidance - ie reminding them to wash, brush, cut food into smaller pieces, cook for them, take them out for walks, appointments etc. This is also same for learning disability care as well. Although with learning disability, some of the clients can also exhibit violent and aggressive tendencies to include hitting, biting, spiting etc.

There's palliative care - end of life stage - where clients have a syringe driver in and are basically waiting to die so likely also nil by mouth, tube fed and maybe intubated and the support worker's role is to keep them comfortable. So there isn't much to do apart from sitting around and ensuring their comfort.

Nights vary in different places but day support is almost always harder - although you're also not allowed to sleep on shift at night but there can be differences and nuances in different providers. Some will have a sleep in person.

There's also support work for supporting children in care - neurotypical children and or those with LD as well. It's very very similar to a teacher/ parent/ guardian role. You do get lots of being sworn at, rooms thrashed, some fixating behaviour etc.

Support work will also have you despairing about humanity and oyinbo life in general. You get the see the best and worst of humanity and realise that wahala and family drama full everywhere

Thank you for sharing

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by clemils1: 8:20am On Dec 31, 2021
are you sure. try UBA
Uzonma:
Hello house
Can I spend dollars or exchange it to pounds in the UK?
Looks like banks hardly give pounds for PTA

(1) (2) (3) ... (148) (149) (150) (151) (152) (153) (154) ... (1007)

USA Visit Visa Part 3 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration.

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.