Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,809 members, 7,827,977 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 08:32 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (214) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1190706 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (211) (212) (213) (214) (215) (216) (217) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 3:39pm On Jan 22, 2022
Pearlyfaze:
Good morning Dear Ancestors, Please I need advice. I placed an order for items through Facebook, They seller is requesting that I give him the following
1. My email address for him to send a payment link.
2. I will pay him 95% cash on Delivery and 5% through payoneer which he will send to my email.

Please advise if I should run or keep insisting on paying via transfer.

Bank transfer is the worst form of transaction...... You have zero protection........
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 3:41pm On Jan 22, 2022
ukay2:

How you take do am...make we de learn more and more

The summary is have a phone that records all your calls + appropriate use of legal terms .......... wink
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jesmond3945: 3:44pm On Jan 22, 2022
jumpshot:

Somebody help me please
full stack
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kode12: 3:53pm On Jan 22, 2022
Lexusgs430:
[/b]

Bank transfer is the worst form of transaction...... You have zero protection........

Make the seller swear by ogun grin grin grin Protection is guaranteed

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by olizzz(f): 3:53pm On Jan 22, 2022
Any idea please

olizzz:
Hello everyone,
How much does it cost to renew passport in the UK?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Super1759: 3:53pm On Jan 22, 2022
Hi guys, I need a quick response or your opinion.

Migrating to UK or Canada, which is best for an average Nigerian moving with family in terms or way of life, making money.

Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 3:56pm On Jan 22, 2022
kode12:

Make the seller swear by ogun grin grin grin Protection is guaranteed

If only Ogun dey, we for give Boris to use am swear .........

Boris was a party ever held at Downing street, during the lockdown or not + did you attend ........ Oya swear, before you answer.......... cheesy

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kode12: 4:19pm On Jan 22, 2022
Lexusgs430:

If only Ogun dey, we for give Boris to use am swear .........

Boris was a party ever held at Downing street, during the lockdown or not + did you attend ........ Oya swear, before you answer.......... cheesy
grin grin grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 4:30pm On Jan 22, 2022
Super1759:
Hi guys, I need a quick response or your opinion.

Migrating to UK or Canada, which is best for[b] an average Nigerian[/b] moving with family in terms or way of life, making money.

Thanks

No such thing as an average Nigerian.
Nigerians are as varied as the wahala they can generate.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dubaiprince: 4:41pm On Jan 22, 2022
Igbamatigbi:
Hello everyone, I came into UK October last year for a two year course, I intend to brin my kids and spouse in April God's grace.
Will they still pay the two years IHS fees? Please anyone that has gone through should please tell me

Someone said they will still pay the two years, so I decided to ask here for confirmation.
Thank you

From my understanding, they will pay for 2 years if the number of months from the month you apply for them till when your visa expire is above 18 months.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ukay2: 4:49pm On Jan 22, 2022
Lexusgs430:
I had wanted to talk about SIPP (self invested pension plan)...... But been busy of late ........

In summary, it's your ability to buy shares, etf's etc etc...... Monies invested cannot be withdrawn, until you reach retirement......

The beauty about SIPP is, for every money you invest, your SIPP provider would put in a claim to HMRC, for a 20% cash credit into your SIPP account, which you would invest back into your SIPP account.........

To invest in SIPP, you would be charged £9.99 per month, when you open your SIPP account, the provider I use would give you a free share worth between £50 - £200.........

On the long run, it's a win - win for you ...... I think ...... grin

I use freetrade for SIPP & GIA, if considering a SIPP plan, my referral link is still available....... grin

https://magic.freetrade.io/join/oyedeji/fda60720

What happens to NHS pension scheme and Stock and Shares ISA account and funds? Any advantage of adding SIPP to the already 2 accounts?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by tshoboy(m): 5:00pm On Jan 22, 2022
mizGene:

Actually you are wrong. Based on that summary, she deserves to be struck off. Look at the last paragraph..
They claim she lacks insight, that means she has refused to take responsibility or even accept that she did anything wrong. If that is the case then, no way can they keep her on.
On the other hand, if she had admitted to making a mistake, that shows insight: that she understands she messed up. The next logical step would be that she accepts she is not up to par and she could be asked to take further training before continuing practice.

Well said

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 5:14pm On Jan 22, 2022
Igbamatigbi:
Hello everyone, I came into UK October last year for a two year course, I intend to brin my kids and spouse in April God's grace.
Will they still pay the two years IHS fees? Please anyone that has gone through should please tell me

Someone said they will still pay the two years, so I decided to ask here for confirmation.
Thank you

They will not pay for 2yrs, it will be for the duration of your own visa, so if you have one year left then that is what they will pay for.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mamatukwas: 5:39pm On Jan 22, 2022
Yalekid:
I am looking to send a suitcase of shoes and electronics from London to Lagos. Does anyone know a reputable company that I can use?

I know of US. Kindly send a dm.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 6:10pm On Jan 22, 2022
ukay2:

What happens to NHS pension scheme and Stock and Shares ISA account and funds? Any advantage of adding SIPP to the already 2 accounts?

You save more for the future, basically. Assuming your investments pay off, of course.
And you get your tax relief/top-up on the SIPP contributions, in addition to the relief at source on your workplace pension contributions.
If one has the NHS defined benefit scheme, that's as gold plated as it gets; [hopefully] the UK government will not go the way of the Nigerian government in relation to pensions.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ukay2: 6:34pm On Jan 22, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

You save more for the future, basically. Assuming your investments pay off, of course.
And you get your tax relief/top-up on the SIPP contributions, in addition to the relief at source on your workplace pension contributions.
If one has the NHS defined benefit scheme, that's as gold plated as it gets; [hopefully] the UK government will not go the way of the Nigerian government in relation to pensions.

Please I need more explanations with figures in this SIPP contributions in relation to NHS pension scheme. I lready have LISA, Sock and Shares ISA accounts.

I saw the SIPP pension with freetrade app and I assumed l don't need it as I am already in NHS pension scheme.

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Afmaag123: 6:57pm On Jan 22, 2022
Dear good People,
Please how can one get an accomodation in Huddersfield since online viewing isn't really good.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Hila12(m): 6:57pm On Jan 22, 2022
kaylov12:

No, they did not but I asked them for a letter that says they would.

Does it mean that once they agree to sponsor the maintenance £1270 (self) and £600 (wife and child) that we could literally access that fund upon request from the company once granted visa.

For example if I need all the money would they grant me after the Visa is secured?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by CheesyTee(f): 7:16pm On Jan 22, 2022
Good evening, I'm trying to apply for NARIC, can I upload just my MSc credentials and proof of English or I must upload BSc as well.

I don't have proof of English for my BSc, hence my question.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Igbamatigbi: 7:44pm On Jan 22, 2022
Thank you for your comment, hmmmm it's just look for the two years for each person .quote author=dubaiprince post=109597502]

From my understanding, they will pay for 2 years if the number of months from the month you apply for them till when your visa expire is above 18 months. [/quote]
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Igbamatigbi: 7:46pm On Jan 22, 2022
Hi, thanks, my course started in September, they will be coming in about 6-7 months into my course, just want d to know if anyone on this forum has had experience in this. Let me see how it goes. Thank you

dubaiprince:

From my understanding, they will pay for 2 years if the number of months from the month you apply for them till when your visa expire is above 18 months.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by omopapa: 8:02pm On Jan 22, 2022
Anyone is good
Lexusgs430:

Which one you want, my matalan specials or primark brogues............... grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 8:05pm On Jan 22, 2022
ukay2:

I don't know the type of life you want to live after retirement, but I never want to rely on my children ........... grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dubaiprince: 8:20pm On Jan 22, 2022
Igbamatigbi:
Hi, thanks, my course started in September, they will be coming in about 6-7 months into my course, just want d to know if anyone on this forum has had experience in this. Let me see how it goes. Thank you

The best way to calculate it is when your current visa expires. Your IHS calculation should be based on this. I applied for my people just after 6 months into my 3 year tier 2 visa and I paid 2.5years IHS.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kaylov12: 8:32pm On Jan 22, 2022
Hila12:

Does it mean that once they agree to sponsor the maintenance £1270 (self) and £600 (wife and child) that we could literally access that fund upon request from the company once granted visa.

For example if I need all the money would they grant me after the Visa is secured?

Sounds funny, you only get your salary. The letter is to help you not present a POF.
I hope you understand now.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Pearlyfaze: 8:35pm On Jan 22, 2022
Lexusgs430:
[/b]

Thank you all for your advice, mission aborted.
Transaction canceled.

Thank you family
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 8:44pm On Jan 22, 2022
ukay2:

Please I need more explanations with figures in this SIPP contributions in relation to NHS pension scheme. I lready have LISA, Sock and Shares ISA accounts.

I saw the SIPP pension with freetrade app and I assumed l don't need it as I am already in NHS pension scheme.

Thanks.

Basically, when you receive your salary in your bank account, your employer has already deducted the pension contribution (along with tax, NI, etc.) before you get it. So you can decide to invest money from your salary into another pension if you like. You can have any number of pensions, the government encourages saving for old age, which is the rationale behind the favourable tax treatment.

The NHS pension scheme, as I earlier pointed out, is a defined benefit scheme, meaning that you know how much you will get out of it when you start drawing it, and the government might adjust for inflation as well.

Private pensions (SIPP means self-invested personal pension), on the other hand, are called defined contribution pensions, which are basically savings accounts with investment aspects and tax-friendly treatment. You put in money, and it is invested in stocks and shares, and when you decide to retire (or are allowed to start drawing from it, at age 55 now in the UK, changing to age 57 in a few years time), you can only get out what you have put in plus any income accrued from the investments.

So you have to be careful with an SIPP and note that it is possible that one might eventually get out less than what you put in. On the other hand, your NHS pension is government-backed - the UK government guarantees you'll get your [specific amount of] money based on your final salary when the time comes.

Conversely, stocks and shares are the best hedge against inflation, which eats up any money you just leave in a bank account.

Generally, if you aren't up to following the stock market and investing, you could use one of the robo-investing schemes, such as Nutmeg where they do the selection of investments for you, take a fee and pay you the income on your investment.

Lastly, remember that you will also get the state pension once you've paid NI for 10 years or more, so at least the 170 quid a week after the age of 67, 70, (whatever they will increase it to) is something.

8 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Estroller: 8:57pm On Jan 22, 2022
Look at the SIPP same way as your stocks and share ISA but with the added benefit of a 20% tax rebate (an extra 20% when you do your tax return if you are a higher rate taxpayer) anytime you make a contribution into it. Unlike your stocks and share ISA though, you cannot withdraw from it until you reach the pension age and the income you draw from it after you've taken out the 25% lump sum will also be subject to income tax.

ukay2:

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 8:59pm On Jan 22, 2022
Pearlyfaze:

Thank you all for your advice, mission aborted.
Transaction canceled.

Thank you family

That money the scammer did not claim, use it to order uber eats, for all of us .......... grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Estroller: 9:07pm On Jan 22, 2022
No need, the only criteria to fulfill is to be out of job for a minimum of 4 months I think.

ritzzybaron:
Hello. So before you withdraw from your Pension account, what will you tell them? That you’ve moved? Please give me the scope.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Estroller: 9:14pm On Jan 22, 2022
Isn't the rebate per contribution? You won't get the rebate by just opening the SIPP you will only get it when you contribute into it. So I think having multiple accounts is possible considering different platforms have different offerings, e. g no individual stocks on vanguard and there is on say freetrade, so if I want individual stocks in my SIPP I will open one where I can get that, fund it and get the rebate for that contribution.

NB: I've never tried this just thinking it through.

Lexusgs430:

You can only have one SIPP account.......... You wan dey collect 20% from HMRC, at multiple points.......

Richy Dishi go come for ur neck ........... cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by MichaelUde: 9:17pm On Jan 22, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

Basically, when you receive your salary in your bank account, your employer has already deducted the pension contribution (along with tax, NI, etc.) before you get it. So you can decide to invest money from your salary into another pension if you like. You can have any number of pensions, the government encourages saving for old age, which is the rationale behind the favourable tax treatment.

The NHS pension scheme, as I earlier pointed out, is a defined benefit scheme, meaning that you know how much you will get out of it when you start drawing it, and the government might adjust for inflation as well.

Private pensions (SIPP means self-invested personal pension), on the other hand, are called defined contribution pensions, which are basically savings accounts with investment aspects and tax-friendly treatment. You put in money, and it is invested in stocks and shares, and when you decide to retire (or are allowed to start drawing from it, at age 55 now in the UK, changing to age 57 in a few years time), you can only get out what you have put in plus any income accrued from the investments.

So you have to be careful with an SIPP and note that it is possible that one might eventually get out less than what you put in. On the other hand, your NHS pension is government-backed - the UK government guarantees you'll get your [specific amount of] money based on your final salary when the time comes.

Conversely, stocks and shares are the best hedge against inflation, which eats up any money you just leave in a bank account.

Generally, if you aren't up to following the stock market and investing, you could use one of the robo-investing schemes, such as Nutmeg where they do the selection of investments for you, take a fee and pay you the income on your investment.

Thank you for this, OgaHR.
As a matter of fact, I don dey look all this investment and pension stuff with a sharper eye recently, I changed jobs and my new employer just re-enrolled me into the pension thing and I was wondering about the one I bin get with my former company and that was when the HR guy told me it would still be there, or I could transfer it, that person fit get plenty pensions if you move around jobs. That was when I started looking at the whole personal pension waka.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (211) (212) (213) (214) (215) (216) (217) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.