Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,304 members, 7,836,318 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:47 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (243) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1200117 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (240) (241) (242) (243) (244) (245) (246) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 3:17pm On Feb 05, 2022
leef2022:

you know for instance the ECO for UK would say the ONUS is on the applicant, in eastern europe the ONUS is on the agents, and if you fall into the wrong one, you would never recover your destiny... from first day of school until graduation you pay every dime bill through the agent's account not the school..

If you want your pain level to increase, just try to establish who was the late student's agent? If ain't a Nigerian then the diplomatic missions there need to leave. The Nigerian agent who may have been involved may have even promised that poor soul a palace on arrival

I know a little of what you are saying. You seem to be speaking from experience or close one. Ukraine and Russia are good in medicine and IT, but the sad news from there makes one wonder if it is worth it. Money just de scatter this planet every day by day.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by toyclicks: 3:51pm On Feb 05, 2022
But then, I keep seeing these Paki guys driving like it's Need for Speed abi Grand Theft Auto.
I keep wondering wetin be there back up

umarwy:

����
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by leef2022: 4:00pm On Feb 05, 2022
Chreze:

I know a little of what you are saying. You seem to be speaking from experience or close one. Ukraine and Russia are good in medicine and IT, but the sad news from there makes one wonder if it is worth it. Money just de scatter this planet every day by day.

my botherrrrrrrr. when you think how to cut bills before retirement you begin to think those places as option, but they aren't. Once i couldn't deal directly with the school for my child, i backed out....
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 4:03pm On Feb 05, 2022
Wish Plymouth scored the penalty. A penalty shootout would have been a good way to settle the effort from both teams. They really tried.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mizGene(f): 4:08pm On Feb 05, 2022
lightest:

U are right, I once have such experience a d I was like wao.

My bicycle tyre got flat amd ripped out from.the rim while trying to manage it inside the Bbush while going to work early Sunday morning around 6.15am. I was so confused and ran to the nearest houses knocking dia doors so that I can atleast keep the bike safe.

Behold this woman came out to not only keep my bike but to drop me at work .

I was at amazed and couldn't keep my mind off the help through out the day.

Stories like this warm my heart.. And this is why I always advocate for people to be kind always..In recent times there is a tendency to shy away from offering help especially if we have been paid back in bad coin, but I believe bad people will be bad and good people will be good..Helping just one good/grateful person is worth all the bad we come across.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jesmond3945: 4:17pm On Feb 05, 2022
Chreze:

We talk about fees and financial stuff a lot on these threads (here n student), I think we need to talk more about how to manage some situation too (situations like this). A lot of people are traveling for the first time and there is this old mindset that whites are not nice or racist and all that. This old tales make people hold things inside instead of asking for help.

If I were to be in this situation, I would have knocked on the next room to explain my situation and pass the night with the person. I don’t mind knocking on 5 doors till I get someone to say “ok you can come in”.

It’s a very painful story. Anytime I think about the parents I just get sad. If you ever find yourself in any uncomfortable situation, just ask for help from anyone around you, forget about authorities at that time. You will be surprised that the oyibo you think are racist secretly wants to have a black friend. A lot of them want one now. Ask for help from your next door neighbors, your neighborhood. It’s better to ask for help than suffer. People are nicer now. Fewer racist this days, thanks to TikTok and others that have connected the world with fun and jokes.

The guy story pain me well well. Can’t imagine the parents, from having high hopes to no hopes. Very painful.
it happened in ukraine. I don't Ukrainians are willing to help anybody. Is not like Uk.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jesmond3945: 4:19pm On Feb 05, 2022
ibk5891:
*ADVICE NEEDED*

I just moved into an apartment (a 2bedroom).

Then i recieve a form for council tax registration.

What should i do?

I thought student dont pay council tax?

Do i need to tell them i live with my spouse and kids?
get exemption letter from your university and then upload same on their website. Then call them and tell them your wife is your dependant. One naira will not drop from you.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 4:20pm On Feb 05, 2022
leef2022:

my botherrrrrrrr. when you think how to cut bills before retirement you begin to think those places as option, but they aren't. Once i couldn't deal directly with the school for my child, i backed out....

I wonder why these schools can’t have a dedicated department for international students rather than these agents.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 4:22pm On Feb 05, 2022
jesmond3945:
it happened in ukraine. I don't Ukrainians are willing to help anybody. Is not like Uk.

Is not same UK that Nigerians claim they are not friendly. They don't talk?

White people if you don't speak up they won't respond. That's why they keep asking "are you alright" "do you need some help love"

(Nigerians don't like to be addressed as MY DEAR but can answer MY LOVE, LOVE when they come here)

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jesmond3945: 4:23pm On Feb 05, 2022
ganiruogene:
To see house for this Glasgow don dey give me sleepless night.I have been in airbnb for a while now. Please my people in Scotland what advice can you give me to help me get an apartment. I am already on all the house renting sites-zoopla, rightmove, openrent etc.
negotiate with your a air bnb host
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 4:23pm On Feb 05, 2022
jesmond3945:

Yeah. I know it happened in Ukraine. You will be surprised that they will offer help. Also international students (India and China our traveling siblings) will help.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 4:30pm On Feb 05, 2022
Aprokodaughter:

Is not same UK that Nigerians claim they are not friendly. They don't talk?

White people if you don't speak up they won't respond. That's why they keep asking "are you alright" "do you need some help love"

(Nigerians don't like to be addressed as MY DEAR but can answer MY LOVE, LOVE when they come here)

grin

One thing I have observed is that good comes to those that are good or positive. If you have a clean heart towards people, you will be surprised the kind of love they will show to you. If you already built a negative mindset, it’s a bit difficult to relate, talkless of asking for help or even accepting when you are offered a helping hand. People are a lot nicer now.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 4:32pm On Feb 05, 2022
Chreze:

grin

One thing I have observed is that good comes to those that are good or positive. If you have a clean heart towards people, you will be surprised the kind of love they will show to you. If you already built a negative mindset, it’s a bit difficult to relate, talkless of asking for help or even accepting when you are offered a helping hand. People are a lot nicer now.

True sha
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ganiruogene(m): 4:49pm On Feb 05, 2022
jesmond3945:
negotiate with your a air bnb host

Please explain what you mean by negotiate?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ganiruogene(m): 4:51pm On Feb 05, 2022
CheesyTee:

Expand your search to Paisley.

I’m even extending to far places like tollcross. Thanks for the advice though.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DisGuy: 4:53pm On Feb 05, 2022
missjekyll:

Jesus Christ! May he rest in Power. That stupid school is in for it. The local council, their version of Health and safety, Everybody will pay. Why rent an unsafe room? I know you are at the brink of war but have you lost your mind? angry

Nada! absolute nada, no be Ukraine?

That place is a cold village, well the majority of places Nigeria/African students go to. Schools don't relate to the applicants directly and most of the so called schools are questionable!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by KOVIC19COVID20: 5:46pm On Feb 05, 2022
Chreze:
Wish Plymouth scored the penalty. A penalty shootout would have been a good way to settle the effort from both teams. They really tried.

BadBelle
Ntooooorrrrrrrrrrr
I almost got heart attack. The 6000 Plymouth fans who occupied the Entire shed end no gree us hear word.

As I dey type dis, I dey inside same train with 1,000 (exaggeration is allowed) Plymouth fans. As na only me be Chelsea supporter, na so I siddon shushhhhh
Shift bro…
#ChelseaNoBeMan-DisUnited.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by inphoenix: 5:58pm On Feb 05, 2022
Please what is the Nigerian government COVID protocol for entering naija and what is the UK protocol for returning? Where can I find the most recent regulations for both countries please?

Edit: I'm triple jabbed with an unvaxxed minor
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Peerielass: 6:22pm On Feb 05, 2022
ganiruogene:
To see house for this Glasgow don dey give me sleepless night.I have been in airbnb for a while now. Please my people in Scotland what advice can you give me to help me get an apartment. I am already on all the house renting sites-zoopla, rightmove, openrent etc.

What’s the problem here? I have had a look on rightmove and S1homes and there are quite a few reasonably priced accommodation available. Is it the lack of properties or stringent letting conditions that is the main issue?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 6:29pm On Feb 05, 2022
Peerielass:

What’s the problem here? I have had a look on rightmove and S1homes and there are quite a few reasonably priced accommodation available. Is it the lack of properties or stringent letting conditions that is the main issue?

Did you call them? Some of those houses on rightmove and Zoopola might have been rented out but Agent or landlord won't delete it. They will leave it there.

Thats my problem with all these online house hunting.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by CheesyTee(f): 6:37pm On Feb 05, 2022
Chreze:

You can imagine. Things are happening now, times have changed, people are a lot nicer. I use to think covid added to the change, but I think it’s just understanding that there is no difference other than complexion. Just ask for help. Glasgow here, you will ask one person for direction, six people from no where will come out and explain one after the other the same or similar to what the first person explained just to make sure you are okay and safe.

You're right. So many times I've met nice people here. They are surprisingly chatty and happy to help any way they can. From helping you navigate your way to giving you names of store to get items for kids or your home as a newcomer.

Work colleagues nko? Nice to a fault.

My Nigerian mind will be feeling compelled to reciprocate the kindness with something tangible. Like Abi they want money ni? lol.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Poanan: 6:49pm On Feb 05, 2022
Good evening all. I arrived Uk this week and kindly advise on the telephone line one can purchase.

As a guide the place I stay has a free wifi and very fast and i can call everyone at home using whatsapp.

Elders pkease kindly advise.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ganiruogene(m): 6:50pm On Feb 05, 2022
Aprokodaughter:

Did you call them? Some of those houses on rightmove and Zoopola might have been rented out but Agent or landlord won't delete it. They will leave it there.

Thats my problem with all these online house hunting.

Exactly, the problem isn’t seeing houses online. I’ve had more than 5 viewing appointments canceled before the due date because the house was taken before the date to view. Then there’s also the problem of them not giving their houses out to students.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 6:51pm On Feb 05, 2022
KOVIC19COVID20:

BadBelle
Ntooooorrrrrrrrrrr
I almost got heart attack. The 6000 Plymouth fans who occupied the Entire shed end no gree us hear word.

As I dey type dis, I dey inside same train with 1,000 (exaggeration is allowed) Plymouth fans. As na only me be Chelsea supporter, na so I siddon shushhhhh
Shift bro…
#ChelseaNoBeMan-DisUnited.

grin

You no go lie say them no try cos then try well well. I don’t support any team, I just enjoy football when I can, but this guys them try well well. Maybe na why you almost get heart attack grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 6:52pm On Feb 05, 2022
ganiruogene:

Exactly, the problem isn’t seeing houses online. I’ve had more than 5 viewing appointments canceled before the due date because the house was taken before the date to view. Then there’s also the problem of them not giving their houses out to students.

I understand but what I don't get is why don't like remove these occupied houses from the site? It could be annoying and frustrating. It is well
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 7:08pm On Feb 05, 2022
CheesyTee:

You're right. So many times I've met nice people here. They are surprisingly chatty and happy to help any way they can. From helping you navigate your way to giving you names of store to get items for kids or your home as a newcomer.

Work colleagues nko? Nice to a fault.

My Nigerian mind will be feeling compelled to reciprocate the kindness with something tangible. Like Abi they want money ni? lol.

grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kode12: 7:08pm On Feb 05, 2022
Anyone here with experience on life around Nottingham? Development, amenities, crime, the people etc?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Bluetherapy: 7:08pm On Feb 05, 2022
Has anyone here watched the tinder swindler on Netflix?

Naija scammers dey learn work for this guy hand shocked

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Igbamatigbi: 7:09pm On Feb 05, 2022
Good evening, please I need advice.

I want to buy a new phone cos mine does not have space for more apps. Am in UK. I approached EE and was given an offer of credit and spread payment in 24 months with a increase in interest rate at a point.

Or do I save up and just buy or phone or go for it to build credit score?

Are they places I can buy phone and spread payment without subscribing to a mobile network because I have Vodafone and Giffgaff already.

Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mellady(f): 7:12pm On Feb 05, 2022
Hi everyone, please Its someone on student visa allowed to buy a house on mortgage?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by umarwy(m): 7:17pm On Feb 05, 2022
toyclicks:
But then, I keep seeing these Paki guys driving like it's Need for Speed abi Grand Theft Auto.
I keep wondering wetin be there back up

you can basically drive anyhow, nothing is illegal unless youre caught. I have a black box (nevar again) thats why they can monitor my driving habits.

I try to stay 75 and below, but as for someone who likes speed (190kmh was ny max on naija roads ). the demon slips out now and again
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mex551(m): 7:18pm On Feb 05, 2022
Igbamatigbi:
Good evening, please I need advice.

I want to buy a new phone cos mine does not have space for more apps. Am in UK. I approached EE and was given an offer of credit and spread payment in 24 months with a increase in interest rate at a point.

Or do I save up and just buy or phone or go for it to build credit score?

Are they places I can buy phone and spread payment without subscribing to a mobile network because I have Vodafone and Giffgaff already.

Thanks
if you decide to go for it. You can buy it and still retain your old number. That's what I did few days ago. I bought lebara when I came but this week, I ported to sky mobile and still retained same number

(1) (2) (3) ... (240) (241) (242) (243) (244) (245) (246) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.