Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,859 members, 7,821,003 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:36 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (259) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1182982 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (256) (257) (258) (259) (260) (261) (262) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Akorkor(f): 1:10pm On Feb 15, 2022
obalala:
I use giffgaff so far no more

Okay. Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Rubyventures: 1:52pm On Feb 15, 2022
marylandcakes:
I have tried going on the Nigerian high commission website to renew my Nigerian passport and nothing is showing. I thought everything was sorted, are they still having problems?

They have been down for a while now.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mamatukwas: 2:51pm On Feb 15, 2022
Naira Available. Rate is currently a wee bit better than lemonade so support local.

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mizGene(f): 2:57pm On Feb 15, 2022
Mamatukwas:

Naira Available. Rate is currently a wee bit better than lemonade so support local.

Thank you.
Pls dm me. Not sure why I can't send you one.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mamatukwas: 4:11pm On Feb 15, 2022
mizGene:

Pls dm me. Not sure why I can't send you one.

Okay ��
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mex551(m): 4:15pm On Feb 15, 2022
Abisola2021:
Good morning people,
I applied for my NI immediately I got my brp 2 days after I got into London. I used my hotel address hoping it'll be ready just like the brp (I never knew that was not a good one.) I applied on Feb 5 and I have left the hotel since Feb 8. I was told it'll be ready in 16 weeks so I was chilling. Not until a friend who entered last week got his own yesterday.
I called the hotel immediately to confirm if they received any package on my behalf and they said no. Please, how do I track to know it has been delivered, or if not, how can I change the delivery address to my new address. People I asked said it should have been delivered by now.
Please I need help. I got a job through a referral but I couldn't push through because NI was requested.

Pls help...
relax. You will get it. I got mine one month after applying but my spouse got hers in less than 10 days.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Preshyi: 6:18pm On Feb 15, 2022
Will do. Thanks
mimilyrics:
What tax code is being used for him? Does he have 2 jobs?
He will need to call HMRC to fix issues with tax codes.
If you don't get round to it before the tax year ends, he'll be automatically refunded for any tax excess that he's paid.
He can also sign up here to check what tax/wage/salary info that HMRC holds: https://www.gov.uk/log-in-register-hmrc-online-services

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Preshyi: 6:19pm On Feb 15, 2022
Thanks
tshoboy:

Best to call HMRC. He can also use this to calculate his expected salary and the compare with what he earns https://www.thesalarycalculator.co.uk/.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Preshyi: 6:19pm On Feb 15, 2022
Thanks
Lexusgs430:

Call HMRC........
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Preshyi: 6:23pm On Feb 15, 2022
It's for everything but his pension contribution is insignificant, about £60. Not sure what's basic rate tax code.
Peerielass:

As already advised, you need to check his tax code. Is the £600 just PAYE or does that include NI and Pension contributions? He’s probably on a Basic Rate tax code.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Preshyi: 6:25pm On Feb 15, 2022
Okay, he plans to do that cos it seems it keeps increasing each month and this is his second month with the new employer.
Hwy9:

He should raise it with his employer. He is definitely in the wrong taxcode. His employer should have an HMRC form to be filled. I think he should resolve internally before calling HMRC. I experienced same recently and it was resolved. (A mail to payroll/Finance team should do).
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by specialenvoy: 6:31pm On Feb 15, 2022
Please for those currently working with NHS before getting COS. How do you fill this section on the skilled work visa application?

Have you ever worked for any of the following types of organisation?

Government (including Public or Civil Administration and non-military compulsory national service)

Can you term NHS Health workers as Government staff?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kode12: 6:46pm On Feb 15, 2022
specialenvoy:
Please for those currently working with NHS before getting COS. How do you fill this section on the skilled work visa application?

Have you ever worked for any of the following types of organisation?

Government (including Public or Civil Administration and non-military compulsory national service)

Can you term NHS Health workers as Government staff?

The NHS is part of civil service.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Samopex05: 7:19pm On Feb 15, 2022
With this new carer visa, is it possible for an employer to give 5years COS straight up. Or does it have to broken down in bits…
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mamatukwas: 7:30pm On Feb 15, 2022
Samopex05:
With this new carer visa, is it possible for an employer to give 5years COS straight up. Or does it have to broken down in bits…

E go hard. When ukgov announced it, they made it clear it was for 12 months renewable. That’s most likely what most coys will give.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mex551(m): 7:44pm On Feb 15, 2022
Mamatukwas:

E go hard. When ukgov announced it, they made it clear it was for 12 months renewable. That’s most likely what most coys will give.
not sure that is correct. What they said was that it will run for 12 months in the first instance. Not the duration of the Visa but the program

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by canadaishome: 8:02pm On Feb 15, 2022
mex551:
not sure that is correct. What they said was that it will run for 12 months in the first instance. Not the duration of the Visa but the program

That's what I thought too

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mamatukwas: 8:06pm On Feb 15, 2022
mex551:

Okay. Hopefully I’m wrong and it can be issued for longer. That will be lovely.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dupyshoo: 8:38pm On Feb 15, 2022
That's about the amount you will be charged if you are taking home 2.2k per month.

However, if he just started working recently and has not earned up to the personal tax allowance, he should not be paying up to that amount. If that's the case, he will refunded the extra tax by April/May.

Preshyi:
Hello guys,
Please how do I know if someone is being overtaxed if there is anything like that? My husband earns a little over 2k in a month and get deduction of almost 600pounds. It's just outrageous and we dont know if he is being taxed correctly. Please help.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Peerielass: 8:45pm On Feb 15, 2022
Preshyi:
It's for everything but his pension contribution is insignificant, about £60. Not sure what's basic rate tax code.

Ok, we are all entitled to personal allowance of £12,500 for 2021/22 tax year. This means the first £12,500 you earn is tax free. However for ease of administration, HMRC pro-rates this money over 12 months so every month a portion of your income will be tax free depending on how much you earn.

A basic rate tax code means all your income is taxed at 20% which means no personal allowance deduction. HMRC uses this as an emergency tax code when the employer has not completed the correct paperwork for the employee or if they suspect the employee has a second job which is using up their personal allowance.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Akorkor(f): 9:55pm On Feb 15, 2022
What is with all these negative google reviews I am seeing about HSBC Glasgow Branch? Glasgow mama & Papa, Do you advise angry I deep dive into this HSBC matter?

Thank you all for all your feedback on my sim matter. Jah Bless!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kaylov12: 10:52pm On Feb 15, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Is Nigeria included......... cheesy
LOL.... of course not.
China
USA
Atleast those were the 2 Countries I had reason to call when I was on it. I changed when I moved cities as Lebara is terrible here. Now on Giffgaff.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 10:56pm On Feb 15, 2022
Akorkor:
What is with all these negative google reviews I am seeing about HSBC Glasgow Branch? Glasgow mama & Papa, Do you advise angry I deep dive into this HSBC matter?

All UK banks apart from the challenger banks have lots of negative reviews.
Same with most of the telcos and the energy companies.
It comes with the territory, you simply can't satisfy everyone even when you're trying your best.
If you're looking to open a bank account, choose any one and proceed.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Pearlyfaze: 11:20pm On Feb 15, 2022
Good evening Ancestors.
Please do unvaccinated Nigerian still need to do pre daparture Covid test before traveling to England and are they still required to do Day2 and Day8. Or only Day 2.
Please help the Gov site they confuse person.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 12:00am On Feb 16, 2022
kaylov12:

LOL.... of course not.
China
USA
Atleast those were the 2 Countries I had reason to call when I was on it. I changed when I moved cities as Lebara is terrible here. Now on Giffgaff.

So we come back full circle....... All my children are on GiffGaff, only £10 pcm + 15GB worth of data and unlimited WiFi (when indoors)......... grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 12:05am On Feb 16, 2022
Akorkor:
What is with all these negative google reviews I am seeing about HSBC Glasgow Branch? Glasgow mama & Papa, Do you advise angry I deep dive into this HSBC matter? In

Just open chase bank account.......... If you love to receive 1% cashback, each time you spend using your card ........... wink

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 12:28am On Feb 16, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Just open chase bank account.......... If you love to receive 1% cashback, each time you spend using your card ........... wink

Anything money na you lol never heard of chase bank.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 12:34am On Feb 16, 2022
Aprokodaughter:

Anything money na you lol never heard of chase bank.

We jebusites, love money too much .........

Just download chase uk app and away you go ........ grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 12:59am On Feb 16, 2022
Lexusgs430:

We jebusites, love money too much .........

Just download chase uk app and away you go ........ grin

Starling is treating me fine them and dem dey add money towards the end of the month like this chase.

I will look into Chase bank.

(1) (2) (3) ... (256) (257) (258) (259) (260) (261) (262) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.