Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,397 members, 7,812,166 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:21 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (256) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1170803 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (253) (254) (255) (256) (257) (258) (259) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by omopapa: 6:17pm On Feb 12, 2022
Check page 202 of this thread
tushqueen:
Hi,

I know this has been mentioned before but I can't seem to trace the chat.

I need recommendations for a mattress that feels like our naija foam. This spring bed no good for my back

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by gistbite(f): 6:29pm On Feb 12, 2022
IamE:
Sorry I have been off.

Visa came out 2wks ago.(spousal dependent)

I have been applying for jobs.

Gotten so many rejection

Done 2 interviews.

Will leave by march 30th

Considering using wakanow for my flight.

Thanks guys..

If you don’t mind care jobs, visit the care homes in your area and ask if they have a vacancy (they almost always need people)

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by emmyvet(m): 6:31pm On Feb 12, 2022
teeebest:
Elders, please how does bus transportation work up north. I stay in Peterlee. Do I need to buy tickets ahead before boarding or I can just pay in the bus like normal danfo in Naija lol? .

Secondly, Is there a ticket that works for all service providers like arriva, stagecoach etc?

You can always pay in the bus with cash or your ATM card. If you have a steady route getting a weekly or monthly bus pass may help you save in the long run.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jesmond3945: 7:32pm On Feb 12, 2022
deept:
How come UK people don't protest with all these tax hikes, increase in the price of goods and services etc but when it comes to blm, lgbtq, climate change them dey full streets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5Uj7FftWpA
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by IamE: 7:36pm On Feb 12, 2022
Thanks.
gistbite:

If you don’t mind care jobs, visit the care homes in your area and ask if they have a vacancy (they almost always need people)
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Uk2022: 7:51pm On Feb 12, 2022
Pacypatty:
Good morning everyone, something is bothering me, my husband presently lives in middlesbrough he's getting frustrated,the job he is seeing wants full time not part time, pls Can anyone assist us with job links that accept part time around that area? Or advice that would lead to a positive outcome.

Thanks everyone

Your husband should extend his search to durham, I shuttle durham from teesside to work and also there's a leisure company recruiting at the moment, flamingo ...
My friend got job, d second day she landed uk

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Pacypatty(f): 9:28pm On Feb 12, 2022
Uk2022:

Your husband should extend his search to durham, I shuttle durham from teesside to work and also there's a leisure company recruiting at the moment, flamingo ...
My friend got job, d second day she landed uk

Thanks so much
Applying right away.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by SamReinvented: 9:32pm On Feb 12, 2022
teeebest:
Elders, please how does bus transportation work up north. I stay in Peterlee. Do I need to buy tickets ahead before boarding or I can just pay in the bus like normal danfo in Naija lol? .

Secondly, Is there a ticket that works for all service providers like arriva, stagecoach etc?
For trains, you always have to buy tickets upfront (either on the app or at the station). For local buses, you can buy tickets upfront on the app, or you can buy directly from the driver when you board.

Yes, there are usually tickets that serve all buses and trains. It’s usually around £7+ for a day ticket, depending on your city or town. Just search online and you’d see all the options available to you.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by phyl123: 9:38pm On Feb 12, 2022
justwise:

You know during the pandemic the govt was busy dishing out money to businesses without checking if some of these businesses actually exist.
Paying people to stay at home even as many are actually working. People claimed £££££££ fraudulently because the govt was willing to give out taxpayers money like candy

Now is the time to payback and its going to be painful.

Some of those Claimers have liquidated their businesses thinking that the government will not come after them personally. They’re going to get the shock of their lives when HMRC comes knocking.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by tushqueen(f): 11:06pm On Feb 12, 2022
omopapa:
Check page 202 of this thread

Thank you!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kode12: 2:05am On Feb 13, 2022
@justwise, @ticha, @lexusgs430 et al.
House, does anyone have recommendations on good mortgage brokers?
I’m looking for a lender but these people are a pain if you don’t have five years history in the UK. A professional might be able to work some magic.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by HollyMadison(f): 3:10am On Feb 13, 2022
Ticha:

Only applies to a periodic tenancy. If it's fixed, you're liable till the end of the fixed period. Any non paying tenants, I'd do a MCOL and ensure a CCJ also follows. At least the CCJ drops off after 5 years but will show up in any extended credit search. A MCOL remains till it's paid off or written off by the person owed.

Hi Ticha and other gurus,

Please I need info on property investment.

Can i use HTB or 95% mortgage & LISA to get a HMO if I plan to stay in one of the flats?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by HollyMadison(f): 3:14am On Feb 13, 2022
kode12:
I’m looking for a lender but these people are a pain if you don’t have five years history in the UK. A professional might be able to work some magic.

I don’t have personal experience but from what I’ve learnt from Ticha.

1. walk into your salary bank
2. contact building societies eg Coventry, Swinton, Dudley - they'll talk to you and refer you to brokers they will deal with.

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ticha: 3:40am On Feb 13, 2022
HollyMadison:

Hi Ticha and other gurus,

Please I need info on property investment.

Can i use HTB or 95% mortgage & LISA to get a HMO if I plan to stay in one of the flats?

No. That will be BTL and you need between 25% to 35% deposit amongst other fees.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ticha: 3:47am On Feb 13, 2022
kode12:

Ed Wales ed@mcbfinancialservices.co.uk
T: 01603 864760 | M: 07709 316927 | DD: 01603 964924 | W: www.mcbfinancialservices.co.uk

Ezra Le Mon​
Ezra.LeMon@JohnCharcol.co.uk
020 3334 9967

Those are the 2 I use. Ed is free but Ezra charges a fee. Ezra deals with my more complicated mortgages and being a 2nd generation immigrant, he's is more on the ball dealing with visas, multiple streams of income from different countries etc.

27 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by tolajay: 4:59am On Feb 13, 2022
Greetings, house.

Please, I need IT industry-insight on the following career moves to function effectively in the UK.

1. Is Scrum (CSM) a good market-entry certification/skill to have in the UK?

2. Which of the Business Analysis certification is more recognised in the UK: BCS or CBAP (IIBA)?

3. Is it worth it to take the British Computer Society (BCS) HEQ IT Certification exam? Switching from an art/humanity background to IT.

Thanks.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rosygirl88(f): 8:23am On Feb 13, 2022
Good day
Please I will like to know more about PGCE. Do they grant Tier 4 visa and is there post 2 years working permit after studying?

Yampotatocarrot:

It's basically what we call PGDE here. Over there, it's called PGCE and it is the primary qualification to be certified as a teacher there. On completion of the course, one can now work towards getting Qualified Teachers Status (QTS) which is a legal requirement to teach over there.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kode12: 8:32am On Feb 13, 2022
Ticha:

Ed Wales ed@mcbfinancialservices.co.uk
T: 01603 864760 | M: 07709 316927 | DD: 01603 964924 | W: www.mcbfinancialservices.co.uk

Ezra Le Mon​
Ezra.LeMon@JohnCharcol.co.uk
020 3334 9967

Those are the 2 I use. Ed is free but Ezra charges a fee. Ezra deals with my more complicated mortgages and being a 2nd generation immigrant, he's is more on the ball dealing with visas, multiple streams of income from different countries etc.

Thank you, I’ll check them out.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kode12: 8:35am On Feb 13, 2022
HollyMadison:

I don’t have personal experience but from what I’ve learnt from Ticha.

1. walk into your salary bank
2. contact building societies eg Coventry, Swinton, Dudley - they'll talk to you and refer you to brokers they will deal with.

Thanks, I’d have done this but I’m looking for brokers that deal with whole market not tied to one.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kennykale: 8:50am On Feb 13, 2022
kode12:

Find all the job agencies in your neighborhood and pay them a courtesy visit.
They're often the quickest way to get something.

Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Yampotatocarrot(m): 10:42am On Feb 13, 2022
rosygirl88:
Good day
Please I will like to know more about PGCE. Do they grant Tier 4 visa and is there post 2 years working permit after studying?

Please, note that I'm also applying. Yes to both questions; it's a student visa and there is post study working permit

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by 20nat: 11:59am On Feb 13, 2022
Hi

Seeking advise for a friend.  Upon arrival in uk he decided he does not want to study  a Msc in  Biochemistry anymore but would like to switch over to Nursing or social work.Is he allowed to change schools? How will this affect his Visa? Does he need approval from the university and does he need to notify the home office?

His wife and child were supoose to join him once he settles but he is thinking of putting that on hold till he knows were he stands.

He wants to start applying for September intake.

Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by toshibazaram: 12:26pm On Feb 13, 2022
Hello everyone. I need help,just entered the UK. I'm currently in Gravesend Kent London. I need job,i am a student dependant. Just collected my BRP and i applied for NI. It was stated that i can start working as the NI will take up to 16weeks. I tried opening a Monzo account but it didn't work. I also need to open account. Please any help will go a long way.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dubaiprince: 12:38pm On Feb 13, 2022
Have you tried indeed.co.uk? Try to search for recruitment agencies in your area as well and walk in to discuss with them. Also try to visit the website of these companies and apply for as many roles as you can. Applications are never too much. For the account opening, since you already have your BRP, try open with starling. If you have any of your bills yet like council tax, water or electricity Bill, you can open with Natwest or Barclays online

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by toshibazaram: 12:58pm On Feb 13, 2022
Thank you so very much. I'll try the starling now. And keep applying. This is very much appreciated
dubaiprince:
Have you tried indeed.co.uk? Try to search for recruitment agencies in your area as well and walk in to discuss with them. Also try to visit the website of these companies and apply for as many roles as you can. Applications are never too much. For the account opening, since you already have your BRP, try open with starling. If you have any of your bills yet like council tax, water or electricity Bill, you can open with Natwest or Barclays online
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Glolite(f): 1:04pm On Feb 13, 2022
Advise needed please. Asking for my brother who is about to travel. Should he convert ALL the money in his account to pounds and travel along with the money , or open a dorm account and leave them there. How can one go about that money part please? Lastly, can I pay the remaining part of his school fees using form A when he has gone?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by gistbite(f): 2:32pm On Feb 13, 2022
toshibazaram:
Hello everyone. I need help,just entered the UK. I'm currently in Gravesend Kent London. I need job,i am a student dependant. Just collected my BRP and i applied for NI. It was stated that i can start working as the NI will take up to 16weeks. I tried opening a Monzo account but it didn't work. I also need to open account. Please any help will go a long way.

You can also download IndeedFlex and register to work temporary jobs while searching for permanent positions.

2 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Xanderlex: 3:05pm On Feb 13, 2022
Glolite:
Advise needed please. Asking for my brother who is about to travel. Should he convert ALL the money in his account to pounds and travel along with the money , or open a dorm account and leave them there. How can one go about that money part please? Lastly, can I pay the remaining part of his school fees using form A when he has gone?
Whatever he is doing, let him not make the mistake of traveling with dollars from nigeria. The exchange rate for usd to pounds is terrible. Yes you can pay his remaining school fees with form A. It's cheaper for you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Xanderlex: 3:06pm On Feb 13, 2022
toshibazaram:
I tried open monzo too, it didn't work. You could try Revolut. It worked for me

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Tobexin(m): 3:58pm On Feb 13, 2022
20nat:
Hi

Seeking advise for a friend.  Upon arrival in uk he decided he does not want to study  a Msc in  Biochemistry anymore but would like to switch over to Nursing or social work.Is he allowed to change schools? How will this affect his Visa? Does he need approval from the university and does he need to notify the home office?

His wife and child were supoose to join him once he settles but he is thinking of putting that on hold till he knows were he stands.

He wants to start applying for September intake.

Thanks
No University would touch your friend. He has to meet the progression criteria. He needs to finish atleast his present course and graduated successfully before applying to study another course. In other to not be subjected to the progression rule he must leave the UK and reapply afresh from his home country.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by sweetoma: 4:22pm On Feb 13, 2022
tolajay:
Welcome.

But I'm almost certain you won't get a family space for your budget.

Update, I found a comfy studio apartment for £850 pounds bills included, walkable distance from lansdowne campus where I school. I’ve also done the school application for my son. So fingers crossed for a good beginning. Good luck and Godspeed to all other new arrivals, especially families. It’s not easy but it’s doable

14 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Glolite(f): 4:39pm On Feb 13, 2022
Xanderlex:

Whatever he is doing, let him not make the mistake of traveling with dollars from nigeria. The exchange rate for usd to dollars is terrible. Yes you can pay his remaining school fees with form A. It's cheaper for you.
Ok thank you very much

(1) (2) (3) ... (253) (254) (255) (256) (257) (258) (259) ... (1007)

USA Visit Visa Part 3 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.