Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,781 members, 7,831,516 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 08:05 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (278) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1194082 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (275) (276) (277) (278) (279) (280) (281) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ukay2: 5:26pm On Feb 23, 2022
LagosismyHome:

The domiciliary care work industry don't pay for travel so you can be driving up and down for work for 15hours but paid 8hours. Its very draining so its also important you are sure of what the work entails before you commit yourself

Now with tier 2, employers are putting payback clause amount if you leave early . ... that i blame home office. They collect as hugh as 2k in fees per employee

hussle of an immigrants no easy. Citizens have more ability to vex and not work

Very unfortunate situation for immigrants from Nigeria....its well
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by CheesyTee(f): 5:27pm On Feb 23, 2022
I didn't. I wasn't aware until after I got the offer sef
omopapa:
Did you discuss and agree on relocation allowance at interview stage?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mex551(m): 6:17pm On Feb 23, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

Correct regarding the above.
Relocation expenses of course have to be both documented and reasonable (some organisations have exhaustive lists) and its also fairly standard for those expenses to be repayable if the employee takes off again before the employer has gotten plenty work out of them.
sorry to digress a little bit. Do you review CV for a fee ? I noticed that you are a HR personnel. Can I send you a DM?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Akorkor(f): 7:35pm On Feb 23, 2022
UK elders in the house I greet, ohh.

Please do you have a specific place to buy a TV? We went to Curry as the closest place to us, but the price we got was much more than what we saw online. Can we also Order online? Also they don’t have the brand we wanted.

Do we also need to check for energy consumption rating for the TV? I saw on the cartons of the last tenant , he uses Rating A. Does this matter.

Also, how long does the broadband people come around to fix internet for us. I am using Virgin media as is the strongest In my area.

Also, do you think it's advisable to go into insurance for the house? I feel like since it's not my home no need, but they are saying because of my valuables.

Thank you

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Temi231(f): 7:50pm On Feb 23, 2022
bimbola4real:

You can get palm oil and other African stuff from Kashmir store on Eglinton Road G5 9RU (you can get directions their from Google map) walking distance from some parts of city centre. They have 10kg bags of rice as well, they have long grain one( Tollyboy Rice is closest to Naija one).
For bigger bag rice and wholesale products generally there's Alfa Wholesale on Lancefield street G3 8HZ
Also another African shop called Larrytino on maryhill road G20 9AX ( they stock all Naija food stuff, owned by a Nigerian), the others are Asian owned.
Hope this helps.

I went to this store and got a shock of my life. Red pepper(Rodo) £16, something that can not fill custard paint. Haa mogbe.... Is that how we used to do �� cheesy cheesy. Maybe the guy made mistake in our bill sha. Hubby is planning to go there and buy the same quantity to see the price again.

Just to give update. Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 8:01pm On Feb 23, 2022
mex551:
sorry to digress a little bit. Do you review CV for a fee ? I noticed that you are a HR personnel. Can I send you a DM?

No, I dont.
While I would happily take your money off you (I paid almost 1.50/l for diesel today, Putin is mad), I'm working this weekend and will instead encourage you to do some research on the internet and tailor your CV accordingly (which was frankly what I did when I first came to the UK as a student), and if you feel you still need a look-through, DM me next weekend.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 8:04pm On Feb 23, 2022
Akorkor:

Please do you have a specific place to buy a TV? We went to Curry as the closest place to us, but the price we got was much more than what we saw online. Can we also Order online? Also they don’t have the brand we wanted.

Do we also need to check for energy consumption rating for the TV? I saw on the cartons of the last tenant , he uses Rating A. Does this matter.

Also, how long does the broadband people come around to fix internet for us. I am using Virgin media as is the strongest In my area.

Also, do you think it's advisable to go into insurance for the house? I feel like since it's not my home no need, but they are saying because of my valuables.

Thank you

Argos, John Lewis, even Amazon.
Amazon annoy me, but to be honest, they have about the best returns policy, they have so much money that they don't argue.

Energy consumption rating is a difficult thing to pin down, generally the bigger the screen the more energy it consumes, and of course the longer you watch it the more you use up, but in the grand scheme of things different energy ratings don't save anything really worthwhile over time.

Contents insurance is different from building insurance. It covers your own property while its the landlord that takes out building insurance to cover the building itself. I have contents insurance; you decide if you want it.

Broadband can take up to 3 weeks to set up depending.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Peerielass: 8:14pm On Feb 23, 2022
Akorkor:

Also, do you think it's advisable to go into insurance for the house? I feel like since it's not my home no need, but they are saying because of my valuables. Thank you

Hello, I can answer some of your questions. You can buy your electronics from AO, Curry’s, John Lewis, and even Costco.I favour John Lewis because most of their electronics come with extended warranty. Best to buy it online as they will all offer free delivery to your home. If you buy it in store, you will have the added stress of transporting it home.

It is advisable to have a content insurance for the house whether this is absolutely necessary is open to debate.

Is there a phone line already present in your property? if yes the engineers may not need to visit your home in person to turn on the broadband. They will send you a router and the ADSL micro filter which you will use to set up the broadband and on the day of the switch, they will turn on the broadband remotely. If there’s no phone line, they will need to visit to install one. I think it’s BT openreach that does this bit but I might be wrong.

3 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 8:15pm On Feb 23, 2022
LagosismyHome:

The domiciliary care work industry don't pay for travel so you can be driving up and down for work for 15hours but paid 8hours. Its very draining so its also important you are sure of what the work entails before you commit yourself

Now with tier 2, employers are putting payback clause amount if you leave early . ... that i blame home office. They collect as hugh as 2k in fees per employee

hussle of an immigrants no easy. Citizens have more ability to vex and not work

The domiciliary care people have won a court case to get paid for the hours they spend driving to their appointments, read it somewhere.
I hear domiciliary care does pay more per hour, but working in people's homes can be a pitfall in itself, any mad person can accuse you of anything when na only you and them and cause nuisance to you.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AlakeOfEngland: 8:33pm On Feb 23, 2022
Evening peeps!

A friend needs information on how to go about Project management/PRINCE2 training and exam in the UK. How can one go about it and is it worth doing?

Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bimbola4real(m): 8:46pm On Feb 23, 2022
Generally, Rodo is quite expensive here, we tend to buy a box of it(rather than just picking up some for weighing which can work out quite expensive). The box( we normally ask for at Kashmir), if I remember well cost about 20quid and defo more than custard paint. You can call Kashmir and ask how much the box of rodo is before buying more at Alfa? See if that works out cheaper.

Temi231:

I went to this store and got a shock of my life. Red pepper(Rodo) £16, something that can not fill custard paint. Haa mogbe.... Is that how we used to do �� cheesy cheesy. Maybe the guy made mistake in our bill sha. Hubby is planning to go there and buy the same quantity to see the price again.

2 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dustydee: 8:56pm On Feb 23, 2022
Temi231:

bimbola4real:
Generally, Rodo is quite expensive here, we tend to buy a box of it(rather than just picking up some for weighing which can work out quite expensive). The box( we normally ask for at Kashmir), if I remember well cost about 20quid and defo more than custard paint. You can call Kashmir and ask how much the box of rodo is before buying more at Alfa? See if that works out cheaper.

What is custard paint? I know it's sold by weight.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by fatima04: 9:46pm On Feb 23, 2022
Akorkor:

Thank you

Ao.com usually have good prices and very as well. I generally prefer AO cos of fast delivery and service.

For Internet, they should book you in for an appointment immediately you sign up.

Didn't get home insurance as a Tenant, think it's a way for the insurance to make money, because the LL should have the basic h9me cover. However if you got valuables like all those cinematic TV, expensive laptops and phones etc, you may consider it

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Akorkor(f): 9:47pm On Feb 23, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

Argos, John Lewis, even Amazon.
Amazon annoy me, but to be honest, they have about the best returns policy, they have so much money that they don't argue.

Energy consumption rating is a difficult thing to pin down, generally the bigger the screen the more energy it consumes, and of course the longer you watch it the more you use up, but in the grand scheme of things different energy ratings don't save anything really worthwhile over time.

Contents insurance is different from building insurance. It covers your own property while its the landlord that takes out building insurance to cover the building itself. I have contents insurance; you decide if you want it.

Broadband can take up to 3 weeks to set up depending.

Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Akorkor(f): 9:48pm On Feb 23, 2022
Peerielass:

Hello, I can answer some of your questions. You can buy your electronics from AO, Curry’s, John Lewis, and even Costco.I favour John Lewis because most of their electronics come with extended warranty. Best to buy it online as they will all offer free delivery to your home. If you buy it in store, you will have the added stress of transporting it home.

It is advisable to have a content insurance for the house whether this is absolutely necessary is open to debate.

Is there a phone line already present in your property? if yes the engineers may not need to visit your home in person to turn on the broadband. They will send you a router and the ADSL micro filter which you will use to set up the broadband and on the day of the switch, they will turn on the broadband remotely. If there’s no phone line, they will need to visit to install one. I think it’s BT openreach that does this bit but I might be wrong.

Really appreciate!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Akorkor(f): 9:49pm On Feb 23, 2022
fatima04:

Ao.com usually have good prices and very as well. I generally prefer AO cos of fast delivery and service.

For Internet, they should book you in for an appointment immediately you sign up.

Didn't get home insurance as a Tenant, think it's a way for the insurance to make money, because the LL should have the basic h9me cover. However if you got valuables like all those cinematic TV, expensive laptops and phones etc, you may consider it

Okay. Thank you for your advice. Gradually settling down. Difficult though without Bank account.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by fatima04: 9:54pm On Feb 23, 2022
Temi231:

Lolz sorry ehn, red pepper is usually expensive during spring/winter months. You may want to ask for carton price and then take half.

On the other hand it's value for money cos you don't need to use lots of it as they come quite spicy

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Temi231(f): 9:56pm On Feb 23, 2022
fatima04:

Lolz sorry ehn, red pepper is usually expensive during spring/winter months. You may want to ask for carton price and then take half.

On the other hand it's value for money cos you don't need to use lots of it as they come quite spicy

Thank you mama. New environment and culture shock come with a lot of changes and surprises. I guess it's part of the new change. grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Peerielass: 10:05pm On Feb 23, 2022
[
Temi231:

What is Rodo? Is it Scotch Bonnet? I buy from my local Tesco, they sell about 6 for 90p.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mex551(m): 10:06pm On Feb 23, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

No, I dont.
While I would happily take your money off you (I paid almost 1.50/l for diesel today, Putin is mad), I'm working this weekend and will instead encourage you to do some research on the internet and tailor your CV accordingly (which was frankly what I did when I first came to the UK as a student), and if you feel you still need a look-through, DM me next weekend.
thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by canadaishome: 10:19pm On Feb 23, 2022
Peerielass:
[

What is Rodo? Is it Scotch Bonnet? I buy from my local Tesco, they sell about 6 for 90p.

Same for Asda and it is VERY spicy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by fatima04: 10:41pm On Feb 23, 2022
Akorkor:

Okay. Thank you for your advice. Gradually settling down. Difficult though without Bank account.

Have you tried the online banks such monzo, starling, revolut etc

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by gratefulme40: 10:44pm On Feb 23, 2022
fatima04:

grin grin this developed countries will make you dey overplan baby and dislike ember months.

My son was born 1st September and first thing the midwife said was he would be the oldest in his class… I nearly slap am

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by HollyMadison(f): 10:59pm On Feb 23, 2022
Hi,

Please can anyone recommend any cab/van driver that can drive from Luton to Newcastle? A van is preferred, but I’m open to suggestions.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by umarwy(m): 11:01pm On Feb 23, 2022
canadaishome:

Same for Asda and it is VERY spicy

For all our pepper lovers,

Have anyone of you guys tried Carolina reaper Chilli

One can spoil jelof cooked in 30 pot.

Try getting it on Ebay

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mamatukwas: 11:18pm On Feb 23, 2022
gratefulme40:

My son was born 1st September and first thing the midwife said was he would be the oldest in his class… I nearly slap am

Lol. Funny how Scotland favors Autumn/Winter Babies. My October child would be a class behind in England.

Lol.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 11:27pm On Feb 23, 2022
gratefulme40:

In England structure

One day earlier would have saved a whole year of nursery fees smiley..... chei chei said in my naija voice

But in my British voice that a cool date. He going to be the oldest and wisest in the class
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by gratefulme40: 11:34pm On Feb 23, 2022
LagosismyHome:

In England structure

One day earlier would have saved a whole year of nursery fees smiley..... chei chei said in my naija voice

But in my British voice that a cool date. He going to be the oldest and wisest in the class

Funny thing I was booked for induction 31st but induction didn’t start till midnight so he was born 12noon 1st September. Had the induction started on the morning of 31st, he would have been born same day and wouldn’t have to wait a whole year! Anyways, we share same birth month so we good

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kode12: 11:42pm On Feb 23, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

No, I dont.

Where you buy diesel £1.5 abeg. We go come buy with kegs lasgidi style

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dupyshoo: 11:58pm On Feb 23, 2022
So true!! Caucasians like having babies from September to January as they prefer their kids to be matured before starting school. While we Nigerians think otherwise. They both have disadvantages and advantages though.
LagosismyHome:

In England structure

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by claremont(m): 12:02am On Feb 24, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

No, I dont.

I normally buy from my local Asda/Tesco for 149p/l. I decided to try Shell premium diesel recently because, apparently, it has additives that helps 'flush' diesel engines. I paid 166p/l for it, but the car engine still sounds the same to me after using it. No difference from Supermarket diesel whatsoever.

If we are not careful, diesel will soon hit 200p/l. This is the same diesel we were paying 119p/l just a few months ago.

(1) (2) (3) ... (275) (276) (277) (278) (279) (280) (281) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.