Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,503 members, 7,830,516 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 12:48 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (277) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1193078 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (274) (275) (276) (277) (278) (279) (280) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 9:43pm On Feb 22, 2022
Peerielass:

The maximum amount allowable (tax free) by HMRC is £8,000 however this does not mean that you will receive the entire amount from your employer. The amount you receive will depend on the qualifying expenses you claim for with the relevant supporting documents. For instance if the cost of hiring a moving van is £3,000, your employer will only reimburse £3,000 when you present the receipt. They are not going to dash you £8,000 for jolly cheesy

Also check the policy of your employer as some employers may require you to repay the money if you leave the company or trust within a certain time.

Correct regarding the above.
Relocation expenses of course have to be both documented and reasonable (some organisations have exhaustive lists) and its also fairly standard for those expenses to be repayable if the employee takes off again before the employer has gotten plenty work out of them.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mamatukwas: 10:07pm On Feb 22, 2022
Ralphlauren:

Preach it sis.

There are cases like this in the UK, just that they are not widely reported in the media.

Regarding the news article you've shared, I can't believe the guy is still insisting he's innocent after all these years. I think he is just trying to save face with his family.

He was arrested at the airport while planning to purchase a ticket to Dominican Republic (a country that does not have extradition treaty with the US). He was also indicted for arranged marriage. The dude seems to think a person in receipt of proceeds of fraud/crime is not liable for investigation/prosecution. I had a read through some of the documents on his website. Its obvious he sent up the money exchange business to "clean up" the dirty money from his criminal associates. He was fully aware those funds were proceeds of BEC and romance fraud.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vanguardngr.com/2018/12/abike-dabiri-family-of-detained-nigerian-bicker-over-correspondence/amp/

Wawu. The danger of a single story. I read the first article and already started feeling sorry for him. Felt he was just misunderstood. Alas the guy was trying to flee. Hmm. Na wa.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ralphlauren(m): 10:26pm On Feb 22, 2022
Mamatukwas:

Wawu. The danger of a single story. I read the first article and already started feeling sorry for him. Felt he was just misunderstood. Alas the guy was trying to flee. Hmm. Na wa.

When he started his "campaign of innocence" years ago, I also assumed he was a victim of curcumstance until I started digging and reading further.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by CheesyTee(f): 10:31pm On Feb 22, 2022
Peerielass:

The maximum amount allowable (tax free) by HMRC is £8,000 however this does not mean that you will receive the entire amount from your employer. The amount you receive will depend on the qualifying expenses you claim for with the relevant supporting documents. For instance if the cost of hiring a moving van is £3,000, your employer will only reimburse £3,000 when you present the receipt. They are not going to dash you £8,000 for jolly cheesy

Also check the policy of your employer as some employers may require you to repay the money if you leave the company or trust within a certain time.

Yeah. I understand.

This would have been helpful to be reimbursed. Flight and accommodation especially. Considering I’m taking the kids.

I’ve spent about £2000 already.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by 1stdami(m): 11:08pm On Feb 22, 2022
Hello guys has anyone traveled to Nigeria recently with Qatar Airways with a layover in Doha. I will like to know if I need a PCR test back to Nigeria from the UK because my flight is literally tomorrow morning and I haven't taken any PCR test. I could take the PCR early tomorrow morning but no guarantee I will receive results before my flight leaves the UK for Doha. Kindly help with any advice it's urgent. Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dupyshoo: 11:13pm On Feb 22, 2022
You people should be planning for summer born. grin. My 3 year old is late August. I had to pray him out sharply cos giving birth in September is extra year childcare. He started full time school (nursery in his sibling primary school) last September.

It is worth noting that it has disadvantage though as a lot of the kids in his class are way older than him. They are much more matured than him as even 4 months difference mean a lot at this stage. He is like the baby of the class. He is gradually adjusting though.

deept:

My boy turned 3 in January so I was like yes 30hr free nursery until somebody burst my bubble and said it doesn't apply until April.

Holiday plans out the window

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by umarwy(m): 11:15pm On Feb 22, 2022
Peerielass:

Did this involve the police? He might get away with it if the police are not involved and he agrees to repair the other car out of pocket without involving his insurance (or lack of) company.
However if the police are involved, he should expect a fine and some points on his non-existent license. This is in addition to footing the repair costs.

No police

E be like say I don give wrong advice. Because I asked him to tell his insurance to avoid stories that touch.

The other car involved is a company car so it's not up to a person to decide. They might have to follow company policy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by canadaishome: 11:39pm On Feb 22, 2022
This is awful
From Facebook

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 11:50pm On Feb 22, 2022
fatima04:

He should try and negotiate then without involving his insurance provider (unless na expensive car), if not just accept whatever the insurance say and set up a convenient direct debit plan with them.
How does insurance work in the UK. If it’s comprehensive insurance for instance, is the insurance company not supposed to bear the cost of repairs? Why will he still pay for repairs after paying for insurance?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mamatukwas: 12:00am On Feb 23, 2022
Viruses:

How does insurance work in the UK. If it’s comprehensive insurance for instance, is the insurance company not supposed to bear the cost of repairs? Why will he still pay for repairs after paying for insurance?

Them paying can be the least of his problems. You might have to grapple with
1. Legality: Right license, right boundaries etc
2. Higher premiums: which may stick for a while having an accident soon after passing
3: Loosing your NCB: Doesn’t apply to him but is a valid reason for out of pocket settlement
4. Possibly loosing his license and starting over if the issue is blown up.

So yeah. Settle off the books if you can especially when you’re at fault.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Peerielass: 12:16am On Feb 23, 2022
Mamatukwas:

Them paying can be the least of his problems. You might have to grapple with
1. Legality: Right license, right boundaries etc
2. Higher premiums: which may stick for a while having an accident soon after passing
3: Loosing your NCB: Doesn’t apply to him but is a valid reason for out of pocket settlement
4. Possibly loosing his license and starting over if the issue is blown up.

So yeah. Settle off the books if you can especially when you’re at fault.

True talk!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 12:27am On Feb 23, 2022
canadaishome:
This is awful
From Facebook

Unfortunately, this sort of thing is not new, and not only in the care sector.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by umarwy(m): 1:47am On Feb 23, 2022
canadaishome:
This is awful
From Facebook

There is a group called https://www.equality4blacknurses.com/.

She should join they will advise her properly

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by umarwy(m): 1:49am On Feb 23, 2022
canadaishome:
This is awful
From Facebook

This sponsorship for care workers eh. People will see shege from employers. They just need proper OT and guidance on what there rights are and how to safely navigate the system.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Peerielass: 8:16am On Feb 23, 2022
CheesyTee:

Yeah. I understand.

This would have been helpful to be reimbursed. Flight and accommodation especially. Considering I’m taking the kids.

When you eventually settle down and have a permanent address in Lewis, you should sign up for Loganair’s islander discount. This is available to all islanders and offers them subsidised flights to the mainland. I think the ferry companies also have a similar discount scheme available to islanders.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by CheesyTee(f): 9:33am On Feb 23, 2022
Peerielass:

When you eventually settle down and have a permanent address in Lewis, you should sign up for Loganair’s islander discount. This is available to all islanders and offers them subsidised flights to the mainland. I think the ferry companies also have a similar discount scheme available to islanders.

Thank you. I signed up for Loganair discount while booking our flight.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ralphlauren(m): 9:36am On Feb 23, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

Unfortunately, this sort of thing is not new, and not only in the care sector.

Wow. Which other sector can such behaviour be found from employers?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ralphlauren(m): 9:48am On Feb 23, 2022
umarwy:

There is a group called https://www.equality4blacknurses.com/.

She should join they will advise her properly

She's a carer though and not a registered nurse. Can they still help her?

The only option I can think of is taking them to an employment tribunal but that involves a fair amount of legal costs and there's no guarantee she will win.

Her best option is find another job and negotiate exit terms with her current employer. They might be willing to reduce the bond amount or agree flexible repayment terms.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by fatima04: 10:42am On Feb 23, 2022
Mamatukwas:

Same with me, I actually felt it was already prejudiced and his main problem was speaking to the FBI without a lawyer present.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by fatima04: 10:44am On Feb 23, 2022
dupyshoo:
You people should be planning for summer born. grin. My 3 year old is late August. I had to pray him out sharply cos giving birth in September is extra year childcare. He started full time school (nursery in his sibling primary school) last September.

It is worth noting that it has disadvantage though as a lot of the kids in his class are way older than him. They are much more matured than him as even 4 months difference mean a lot at this stage. He is like the baby of the class. He is gradually adjusting though.

grin grin this developed countries will make you dey overplan baby and dislike ember months.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by umarwy(m): 11:00am On Feb 23, 2022
Ralphlauren:

She's a carer though and not a registered nurse. Can they still help her?

The only option I can think of is taking them to an employment tribunal but that involves a fair amount of legal costs and there's no guarantee she will win.

Her best option is find another job and negotiate exit terms with her current employer. They might be willing to reduce the bond amount or agree flexible repayment terms.

Yes they are a support system for black health workers.

The organisation is just happened to be called nurses
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by BorisJohnson(f): 11:12am On Feb 23, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Have both of them conducted a DNA test + having it interpretated with a letter of confirmation?....

Have you previously filled an application?.....

DNA test not done.
Is this a UK requirement please?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Olinga(f): 11:20am On Feb 23, 2022
Yes it is, usually the post office are used to this request they know where to address it to once you tell them what it's for. Sorry for the late response

daholiest:
Please the postal order is it addressed to the Nigerian high commission.
Thank you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by omopapa: 11:20am On Feb 23, 2022
Did you discuss and agree on relocation allowance at interview stage?
CheesyTee:

Yeah. I understand.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mimilyrics: 11:34am On Feb 23, 2022
Permanent Band 4 covid-19 vaccinator position in Central London. £27,157 - £29,859 inc HCA
https://www.guysandstthomas.nhs.uk/careers/our-vacancies.aspx#!/job/UK/London/London/Guys_St_Thomas_NHS_Foundation_Trust/Immuniser/Immuniser-v3947405?_ts=2188

Bank Secretary / Administrator Band 4, Hertfordshire. £22,549 - £24,882 pa pro rata.
https://www.healthjobsuk.com/job/UK/Hertfordshire/Hertfordshire/Hertfordshire_Partnership_NHS_Foundation_Trust/Bank_Secretary_Administrator/Bank_Secretary_Administrator-v3917118?_ts=508494

Bank Administrator Band 2, 3 or 4, Dorset. https://www.healthjobsuk.com/job/UK/Dorset/Dorset/Dorset_HealthCare_University_NHS_Foundation_Trust/Trust_Temps/Trust_Temps-v3928763?

Program Support Officer, Band 5, London. £30,786 - £37,841 inc HCA
https://www.guysandstthomas.nhs.uk/careers/our-vacancies.aspx#!/job/UK/London/Loddon/Guys_St_Thomas_NHS_Foundation_Trust/HIN/HIN-v3925205?_ts=26688

Administration Team Leader Band 5, London, Permanent, £30,786 - £37,841 per annum inclusive.
https://www.healthjobsuk.com/job/UK/London/London/University_College_London_Hospitals_NHS_Foundation_Trust/Gynaecology/Gynaecology-v3930792?_ts=365162

Assistant Finance Analyst NHS AfC: Band 5, Harlow, 37.5 hours. £26,938 - £33,111 per annum inclusive of HCAS
https://www.healthjobsuk.com/job/UK/Essex/Harlow/The_Princess_Alexandra_Hospital_NHS_Trust/FINANCE/FINANCE-v3926420?_ts=373921

Administration Coordinator Band 4, London, 37.5 hours. £27,157 - £29,859 per annum inclusive.
https://www.healthjobsuk.com/job/UK/London/London/University_College_London_Hospitals_NHS_Foundation_Trust/Paediatric_Management/Paediatric_Management-v3924977?_ts=413066

Healthcare Assistant-Kangaroo Ward Band 3, Permanent. 37.5 hours. £24,938 - £26,385 per annum inclusive
https://www.healthjobsuk.com/job/UK/London/London/Great_Ormond_Street_Hospital_Children_NHS_Foundation_Trust/Cardiology/Cardiology-v3945164?_ts=433681

Healthcare Assistant Band 3, London. 37.5 hours. £24,938 - £26,385 per annum inclusive
https://www.healthjobsuk.com/job/UK/London/London/Great_Ormond_Street_Hospital_Children_NHS_Foundation_Trust/Outpatients/Outpatients-v3933323?_ts=478736

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 12:19pm On Feb 23, 2022
Ralphlauren:

Wow. Which other sector can such behaviour be found from employers?

Agriculture.
Basically anywhere lower-skilled work and immigrant labour intersect.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ralphlauren(m): 12:20pm On Feb 23, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

Agriculture.
Basically anywhere lower-skilled work and immigrant labour intersect.

But such behaviour from ANY employer regardless of the sector is classed as "modern slavery" and it should be reported as its a serious criminal offence.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 12:33pm On Feb 23, 2022
Ralphlauren:

But such behaviour from ANY employer regardless of the sector is classed as "modern slavery" and it should be reported as its a serious criminal offence.

The people who sign up for this stuff just want themselves out of their countries and in the UK (or other developed country) and are usually willing to put up with any form of treatment to achieve this aim. Going near the police is usually not on their list of career choices. The new so-called care visa will open up further opportunities for this sort of thing, unfortunately.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by OkanlawonB(m): 1:26pm On Feb 23, 2022
Ralphlauren:

Modern day slavery is well embedded in the UK system in various scales.
A widely reported large scale modern slavery is that of the garment industry of Leicester where some workers were being as little
as 2.50 pounds/hr. The proposal of the tory government inviting interested HGV drivers to come and drive in the UK for a ridiculously short time was viewed in the EU as a modern day slavery.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 3:52pm On Feb 23, 2022
canadaishome:
This is awful
From Facebook

But do you have permission to share people names. Maybe blur the name and re post the photo
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 3:57pm On Feb 23, 2022
Ralphlauren:

The domiciliary care work industry don't pay for travel so you can be driving up and down for work for 15hours but paid 8hours. Its very draining so its also important you are sure of what the work entails before you commit yourself

Now with tier 2, employers are putting payback clause amount if you leave early . ... that i blame home office. They collect as high as 2k in fees per employee

hussle of an immigrants no easy. Citizens have more ability to vex and not work

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Sijuademi: 4:35pm On Feb 23, 2022
Good afternoon everyone,

A Single, Male Non-Smoker Room/Flat mate needed in Selly Oak Birmingham Kindly call +4407425272923 or send a mail to igbengaakintayo@gmail.com for more details

(1) (2) (3) ... (274) (275) (276) (277) (278) (279) (280) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.