Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,164 members, 7,829,165 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 08:51 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (33) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1191857 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by wallg123: 5:45pm On Sep 30, 2021
AirBay:

Inflation undecided 300k is cheap now..lol
With 300k I go go marry another wife for Ijebu grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mizGene(f): 9:01pm On Sep 30, 2021
Hello everyone,

Pls I need some clarity around maternity pay..
How long does one have to have worked for before being eligibile to receive it?
I saw on the gov website that employees are entitled to 90% of their pay but it is only for 6 weeks, after that about 152 pounds is paid per week for 39 weeks. Is this applicable to all?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by wallg123: 9:53pm On Sep 30, 2021
Am after some advice please concerning COVID-19 PCR test for travelling to Nigeria.
Can I do the test at Heathrow or do I have to do it 2 days before in a private test centre around my area before heading to the airport?.

Secondly I can’t pay for the COVID-19 repeat test in Nigeria as I no get Nigerian bank card. Hope I no go enter lion mouth for Nigeria ?. I saw somewhere were they said you can pay for the repeat test when you get to Naija ….?

Help please
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dupyshoo: 10:47pm On Sep 30, 2021
To qualify for SMP you must:

1. earn on average at least £120 a week
2. give the correct notice and proof you’re pregnant
3. have worked for your employer continuously for at least 26 weeks continuing into the ‘qualifying week’ - the 15th week before the expected week of childbirth

So you must have been working for your employer for about 10 months before you get pregnant.

Please note that it also depends on the employer. Some employers will pay for up to 6 months of full salary. So check your company policy to be sure.

mizGene:
Hello everyone,

I saw on the gov website that employees are entitled to 90% of their pay but it is only for 6 weeks, after that about 152 pounds is paid per week for 39 weeks. Is this applicable to all?

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by oluwahsegun(m): 11:19pm On Sep 30, 2021
Good day everyone, please does anyone know about life in Middlesbrough and Hertfordshire. I got admission to teesside University and University of Hertfordshire also. Don't know which to go for.
I need to decide based on chances of getting a job, accommodation life, proximity to cities and town life in general. please anyone with first hand knowledge. I have googled these things but keep seeing various answers and views. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by omolara123(f): 12:13am On Oct 01, 2021
Please anyone In Bristol? It’s very difficult for me getting an apartment....please help am in Uk already
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by WuraolaD: 1:20am On Oct 01, 2021
Hello,
Please how can I contact you? I’m currently going through similarly issue you had with university of bedfordshire. My 1st conditional offer letter gave me 1year MSc program with 13275pounds as tuition fee which I have paid the 65% deposit of 8650 as required. I later discovered that the course in their website is 2years and fee is 15600 pounds and no resumption date for Jan . So I sent a mail to them and they responded that the resumption date is January and the program is running for two years with a fee of 15600 pounds . The issue now is that they asked me to pay the an additional fee of about 1500 pounds before credibility interview. Please I need your contact so that I can discuss more with you.
I’m no longer interested in the school but I don’t know how to go about refund

[quote author=NomzyJust post=10604057
I am also looking for paid internship opportunity (1year). Msc in Computing, University of Northampton. I am willing to relocate anywhere in the UK.[/quote]

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 3:49am On Oct 01, 2021
justwise:

When i applied for my ILR it took exactly 12wks which is the standard.

Good evening sir

Can I ask you some questions about serbia??
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 3:49am On Oct 01, 2021
justwise:

When i applied for my ILR it took exactly 12wks which is the standard.

Or is there a section for those looking for serbian Visa?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ticha: 5:48am On Oct 01, 2021
mizGene:
Hello everyone,

If I'm not mistaken, the qualifying period is 26 weeks. https://www.gov.uk/employers-maternity-pay-leave/eligibility-and-proof-of-pregnancy

So you should have been with your employer that long - the time for statutory maternity pay is transferable so if you change jobs, the 26 weeks still applies but not from scratch.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ticha: 5:51am On Oct 01, 2021
dupyshoo:

3. have worked for your employer continuously for at least 26 weeks continuing into the ‘qualifying week’ - the 15th week before the expected week of childbirth

So you must have been working for your employer for about 10 months before you get pregnant.

Please note that it also depends on the employer. Some employers will pay for up to 6 months of full salary. So check your company policy to be sure.

6 months rather than 10. It's 26 weeks = half of 52 weeks. Employers have to be notified by 24 weeks. Same as HMRC is you're self employed

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by marylandcakes: 7:07am On Oct 01, 2021
justwise:

Now this is painful to read..was hoping to get a new passport rather than applying for visa or TC to travel for my mum's burial, i have been monitoring this passport issue since last year as i planned to see her early this year sadly she passed away few days ago. oh well...

My condolences to you and your family. May your mum’s soul rest in peace.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mizGene(f): 7:49am On Oct 01, 2021
Ticha:

If I'm not mistaken, the qualifying period is 26 weeks. https://www.gov.uk/employers-maternity-pay-leave/eligibility-and-proof-of-pregnancy

So you should have been with your employer that long - the time for statutory maternity pay is transferable so if you change jobs, the 26 weeks still applies but not from scratch.
Thank you Ticha.

Is the statutory pay same as or different from the pay you receive from your employer?
I'm just wondering about the drastic drop in income from 90% of salary to 153 pounds after only 6 weeks...
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mizGene(f): 7:52am On Oct 01, 2021
dupyshoo:

Thanks for the info Dupyshoo. So basically the SMP is like a minimum and some companies pay better..
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 8:08am On Oct 01, 2021
mizGene:

Thank you Ticha.

Is the statutory pay same as or different from the pay you receive from your employer?
I'm just wondering about the drastic drop in income from 90% of salary to 153 pounds after only 6 weeks...

You either get money from employer or statutory pay.....so never both, instead one or the other and when the employer one stops then you roll into the statutory one .

The statutory pay is sadly very small so u have to plan accordingly. ... different companies have different policies. I seen some companies pay you 90%of your salary for 6 months, some can even pay up to 9 months self... however some pay only 6 weeks for maternity then you start statutory

So check with the company. Hopefully yours pay for 6 months but you have a lot of only 6 weeks (especially small companies) . So when they stop your SMP starts which is that small amount per week

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Preshyi: 10:52am On Oct 01, 2021
Hello,
I know this council tax exemption has been discussed before now but I just called the city council to ask if my husband is exempted from paying council tax and they said No. Is this correct and what's the best way to go about it please?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Bourne007(m): 12:02pm On Oct 01, 2021
Dependants usually wouldn't get an exemption

Preshyi:
Hello,
I know this council tax exemption has been discussed before now but I just called the city council to ask if my husband is exempted from paying council tax and they said No. Is this correct and what's the best way to go about it please?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jtech17: 12:07pm On Oct 01, 2021
wallg123:

With 300k I go go marry another wife for Ijebu grin
grin grin grin cheesy grin grin change go come out sef...capital wey purson go take start new relationship/marriage na eem purzin won use divorce... life no balance oo

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jtech17: 12:09pm On Oct 01, 2021

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by KOVIC19COVID20: 12:20pm On Oct 01, 2021
Preshyi:
Hello,

Between you and your husband, who is the dependant?
And what visa category is the main applicant? Is the main visa applicant/holder exempt?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Preshyi: 1:17pm On Oct 01, 2021
I am the main applicant and it's a student Visa. I am exempt and thought my husband was too.
KOVIC19COVID20:

Between you and your husband, who is the dependant?
And what visa category is the main applicant? Is the main visa applicant/holder exempt?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 1:27pm On Oct 01, 2021
Preshyi:
I am the main applicant and it's a student Visa. I am exempt and thought my husband was too.

Your husband is not a student, hence cannot get an exemption certificate........ cheesy

The way we used to get around this.........
Single occupancy....... cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Bourne007(m): 1:29pm On Oct 01, 2021
Some students think it's exempted for all but it's not the case.

Preshyi:

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Bourne007(m): 1:30pm On Oct 01, 2021
You self know .. . You are doing well wink

Lexusgs430:

Your husband is not a student, hence cannot get an exemption certificate........ cheesy

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Preshyi: 1:53pm On Oct 01, 2021
Una no tell me on time o. But what's usually the average cost per month?
Lexusgs430:

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by KOVIC19COVID20: 2:09pm On Oct 01, 2021
Preshyi:

I know a couple who got letter. The husband (tier 4 student) wrote back to the council, insisting that he was a student, he rented the apartment. The wife is HIS dependant.
He got an exempt, and both names were on the council bill tax certificate.
This was between 2018 to 2021.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by KOVIC19COVID20: 2:10pm On Oct 01, 2021
Preshyi:

There are different council tax bands.
Which largely depend on your postcode.
£100 pm - £220 pm. Depending on different factors.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 2:10pm On Oct 01, 2021
Bourne007:
You self know .. . You are doing well wink

We must wise nah ......... grin

Just wise up ........ grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 2:13pm On Oct 01, 2021
Preshyi:

From £100 pcm .......... cheesy

Depends on the banding of the property, not post code ........... smiley

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Preshyi: 2:14pm On Oct 01, 2021
It may seem as though he doesn't have to pay. Just saw this on their website.
KOVIC19COVID20:

I know a couple who got letter. The husband (tier 4 student) wrote back to the council, insisting that he was a student, he rented the apartment. The wife is HIS dependant.
He got an exempt, and both names were on the council bill tax certificate.
This was between 2018 to 2021.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by icon8: 2:20pm On Oct 01, 2021
Preshyi:
It may seem as though he doesn't have to pay. Just saw this on their website.

Is he allowed to work though? The devil is always in the detail.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Preshyi: 2:27pm On Oct 01, 2021
This is more complicated than I thought o. Council tax no dey our budget
icon8:

Is he allowed to work though? The devil is always in the detail.

(1) (2) (3) ... (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.