Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,022 members, 7,818,024 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:02 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (340) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1179706 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (337) (338) (339) (340) (341) (342) (343) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mimilyrics: 7:07pm On Mar 24, 2022
Yes, you will.
Anniegood:
Hello, pls I need a clarification on some IHS I had last year

So I applied for UK student visa and got it but I was unable to travel. Will I still pay for the IHS again if I have to apply again this year ?

Pls help me out . Thank you.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Tamp2017: 7:09pm On Mar 24, 2022
BorisJohnson:
Hello Nairalanders,
My dependant's visa application was submitted the first week of February. Didn't hear any more thing from UKVI.
I called last week and was told the decision was made on ~February 14th. I asked them to escalate.

Out of curiosity, I went to the post office today, and speculatively presented page 1 of the application form. The woman came back with a BRP in a brown envelope. She asked for the Passport and vignette, I could not present it. She said the BRP was received by them since February 20th.

I called UKVI again. The lady rudely told me that my issue was escalated, and I should wait for another 15 working days.

Does anyone have an idea where my dependant's passport maybe? UKVI? Home Office? TelePerformace? IS there any number or contact that folks have used previously, please? Help me biko.

Have u gotten ur passport? I am in the same situation

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 7:11pm On Mar 24, 2022
Hkana:
Good evening fam.

I'm new in Aberdeen (roughly 2 weeks). Came to join Wifey who's a student. I have a bachelor's in Engineering and 3 years work experience in the Bank.

Biko, I need any and every pointers toward getting a job here.

Anyone with any ideas is welcome.

Pa. Lexusgs340 Ray7878 and other ancestors please come through for a brother.

*pours libation on the thread* cheesy cheesy

You might have to start at the bottom, and build yourself up ........

No dey carry shoulder o .......... grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mamatukwas: 7:23pm On Mar 24, 2022
BorisJohnson:

Most (legit) Tier-2 jobs do not come ‘at-a-cost’ (as per Nigeria parlance).

The way to get a tier-2 job is through applying for the job. You should also be able to prove that you have the brains, the ability & capacity to perform.

I would advice that you totally delete that ‘at a cost’ mindset from your brain.

Unfortunately a lot of scam artists will see the post now and start to whine her in the dm. Smh

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ladimeji01: 7:25pm On Mar 24, 2022
mimilyrics:
What course are you going in for? Type mimilyrics Canterbury in the search bar. I think i did 2 or 3 posts on this at different points.

Okay boss
MSc Reproductive medicine: Science and Ethics

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mamatukwas: 7:25pm On Mar 24, 2022
Goke7:

Try Tesco Bank credit card, if you get 90% approval go ahead and apply but anything less than 90% don't even try. One major issue is you having a full time job, if you don't have, hardly can you get a credit card

Whistling In Amex grin I got my first CC from Amex on my first try with £1,500. I’ve never had a full time job in this UK. I repeat, don’t sleep on Amex.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by akaprince(m): 7:26pm On Mar 24, 2022
mex551:
why not look for cheap car and manage first. A whole lot on Facebook market place

Thanks for the info. Please, aside from facebook marketplace, what other sites can one buy very cheap used ulev car?

Please, all the seniors in the house, your advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Oggg: 7:34pm On Mar 24, 2022
Mamatukwas:
[/b]
Whistling In Amex grin I got my first CC from Amex on my first try with £1,500. I’ve never had a full time job in this UK. I repeat, don’t sleep on Amex.
which of the Amex cards pls? just seeing a lot of cards options. Do advise. thank you

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mamatukwas: 7:36pm On Mar 24, 2022
Oggg:
which of the Amex cards pls? just seeing a lot of cards options. Do advise. thank you

Standard gold card.

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by tushqueen(f): 7:36pm On Mar 24, 2022
Mamatukwas:
[/b]

Did u get it under 2years of residing in the uk?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by homole(m): 7:52pm On Mar 24, 2022
Sorry o boss, person weh enter UK in Decemeber what credit facility can you suggest?

tushqueen:

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by homole(m): 7:54pm On Mar 24, 2022
Kindly advice boss, I entered the Uk in december, Any credit facilitiesyou fit suggest to start building my crdit score?
Mamatukwas:

Standard gold card.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by homole(m): 7:55pm On Mar 24, 2022
Hello boss, please how did you hey on the electoral register? Kindly advise
Emmyk:

I'm also at this stage cheesy . Got in in January. Registered and make reports of my house rent on Credditladder, did a sim contract with 3 via direct debit, I am also on the electoral register, but no luck getting a credit card yet to build my credit history.

I got 60% approval rate for Lloyds credit card on moneysavingexpert.com, but at the end, I was told I didn't qualify for the card.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ray7878: 8:17pm On Mar 24, 2022
deept:

Nobody pays zero tax. You buy anything you pay vat, you pay for services vat, local council tax, everything is taxed. The only thing not taxed is the air you breathe in and the grace of God.

https://youtube.com/shorts/GZvk9PXdF44?feature=share

Yep, I actually was referring to when I use to work and got my payslips.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mimilyrics: 8:23pm On Mar 24, 2022
https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote
homole:
Hello boss, please how did you hey on the electoral register? Kindly advise

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mimilyrics: 8:24pm On Mar 24, 2022
Cool. If i remember correctly, your dept is around the sports centre. The drill is brutal but you'll get through.
Ladimeji01:

Okay boss
MSc Reproductive medicine: Science and Ethics
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ray7878: 8:28pm On Mar 24, 2022
akaprince:

Thanks for the info. Please, aside from facebook marketplace, what other sites can one buy very cheap used ulev car?

Please, all the seniors in the house, your advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Try shpock for cars. As others already said it’s cheaper for you to get the car, run it for a few years and sell it later. The biggest thing would be maintenance of the car, so paying for the MOT/repairs and the insurance cost, so it’s best to target a car with low fuel usage (1.2 engine size etc).

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mamatukwas: 8:39pm On Mar 24, 2022
tushqueen:

Yes I did.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mamatukwas: 8:44pm On Mar 24, 2022
homole:
Sorry o boss, person weh enter UK in Decemeber what credit facility can you suggest?

I can’t advise on this unfortunately. I have only applied for an Amex card and Next credit both of which I got. Ask the actual Egbons on the page or check part 1. It was discussed extensively.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by BorisJohnson(f): 9:17pm On Mar 24, 2022
On Building Credit in the UK

A fundamental mistake I have seen a lot of folks here make is the assumption that a Credit Card is 'a must' to improve credit score.
I dare say this is not necessarily true. Whereas having a credit card is a 'plus' it is not the 'koko' thing.

People should note that there is something called: CREDIT FILE. This is more important than a credit card.
You can have a fantastic (impeccable) credit score - Excellent without a single credit CARD.

Things to do:
1. Get your name/records into the 'system'. Apply for a provisional driving license (even if you don't intend to drive). It is a fantastic means of identification.

2. Discard that Lebara or Lycamobile PAYG SIM which you have heard so much about. Get the cheapest SIM-Only contract (O2, Three, EE, Virgin, Vodafone etc...). These can be as cheap as £5 per month (with unlimited calls and SMS, and up to 3GB data).

3. If you are a Nigerian, you are qualified to vote in UK Elections. Register to vote.

4. It is a great idea to have at least 1 utility bill in your name (water or electricity or gas).

5. If you are so hard-pressed on getting a 'DEBT card' (aka ~Credit Card), do not despise the days of little beginnings. See if you can get a Store card. For example, my first 'credit' card was Argos store card. I went to buy £12 worth of hair clipper. They lady at the till suggested that I can buy now and pay later. with zero fees. That was how Argos gave me my first credit card - loaded with £200. As of today, I have a combined credit limit of £32,000 (across 4 cards).

Bottom line: Get your details into the system. So that when "credit checks" are performed during your credit card application, they will find your name, linked to an address.

37 Likes 19 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by isialo(f): 9:48pm On Mar 24, 2022
Lol, Abi oh!
mizGene:

Until one person smokes weed...

Best set up a direct debit to your own account that you cat easily access.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Goke7: 10:14pm On Mar 24, 2022
BorisJohnson:
On Building Credit in the UK

A fundamental mistake I have seen a lot of folks here make is the assumption that a Credit Card is 'a must' to improve credit score.
I dare say this is not necessarily true. Whereas having a credit card is a 'plus' it is not the 'koko' thing.

People should note that there is something called: CREDIT FILE. This is more important than a credit card.
You can have a fantastic (impeccable) credit score - Excellent without a single credit CARD.

Things to do:
1. Get your name/records into the 'system'. Apply for a provisional driving license (even if you don't intend to drive). It is a fantastic means of identification.

2. Discard that Lebara or Lycamobile PAYG SIM which you have heard so much about. Get the cheapest SIM-Only contract (O2, Three, EE, Virgin, Vodafone etc...). These can be as cheap as £5 per month (with unlimited calls and SMS, and up to 3GB data).

3. If you are a Nigerian, you are qualified to vote in UK Elections. Register to vote.

4. It is a great idea to have at least 1 utility bill in your name (water or electricity or gas).

5. If you are so hard-pressed on getting a 'DEBT card' (aka ~Credit Card), do not despise the days of little beginnings. See if you can get a Store card. For example, my first 'credit' card was Argos store card. I went to buy £12 worth of hair clipper. They lady at the till suggested that I can buy now and pay later. with zero fees. That was how Argos gave me my first credit card - loaded with £200. As of today, I have a combined credit limit of £32,000 (across 4 cards).

Bottom line: Get your details into the system. So that when "credit checks" are performed during your credit card application, they will find your name, linked to an address.

Great advice

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by isialo(f): 10:16pm On Mar 24, 2022
Lemme pin this here

Ralphlauren:

The key strategy for securing US visit visa as a first time applicant resident in the UK is to demonstrate recent travel history within Europe.

Unlike Nigeria, the consular officers don't really care about or ask for bank statements. What they look at is recent travel history (flipping the pages of your passport), the information provided on your online application (your job title, your gross income and detailed explanation of your job description/roles/responsibilities) and your attitude, confidence and answers provided during the interview.

People have been in the UK for 1 to 4 years and they've never bothered to visit anywhere in Europe as tourists yet they want to fly all the way to America to visit Times Square ??

In summary, apply for schengen visa and visit any European country of your choice at least once or twice. Then apply for US visa as a TOURIST with an intention to vist a city known as a tourist location. e.g. New York for 7 to 10 days.

Current students - speak to your international office and they will provide you the letter you need to apply for schengen visa. Those with part time or full time jobs - you need your payslips.

Fat account balance is not required for schengen visas. As long as your account balance equals the multiplication of the daily subsistence (i believe its around 30euros a day) and the number of days you plan to stay in Europe. E.g. you plan to visit for 5 days, all you are required to evidence in your account is minimum 150 euros. Cheap tickets are available from budget airlines especially for journeys during the week. Cheap accommodation can be sourced from the likes of booking.com and lastminute.com. Affordable travel insurance can be purchased from price comparison sites.

Its standard 2 years for Nigerians even for renewal. Ghanaians get 5 to 10 years when they renew. To the best of my knowledge, Dropbox doesn't apply in the UK.

Cc aopecy hustla SamReinvented

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Adapapaokoye: 10:41pm On Mar 24, 2022
Very important
quote author=isialo post=111339525]Lemme pin this here

[/quote]
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Adapapaokoye: 10:42pm On Mar 24, 2022
Very important

Ralphlauren:

The key strategy for securing US visit visa as a first time applicant resident in the UK is to demonstrate recent travel history within Europe.

Unlike Nigeria, the consular officers don't really care about or ask for bank statements. What they look at is recent travel history (flipping the pages of your passport), the information provided on your online application (your job title, your gross income and detailed explanation of your job description/roles/responsibilities) and your attitude, confidence and answers provided during the interview.

People have been in the UK for 1 to 4 years and they've never bothered to visit anywhere in Europe as tourists yet they want to fly all the way to America to visit Times Square ??

In summary, apply for schengen visa and visit any European country of your choice at least once or twice. Then apply for US visa as a TOURIST with an intention to vist a city known as a tourist location. e.g. New York for 7 to 10 days.

Current students - speak to your international office and they will provide you the letter you need to apply for schengen visa. Those with part time or full time jobs - you need your payslips.

Fat account balance is not required for schengen visas. As long as your account balance equals the multiplication of the daily subsistence (i believe its around 30euros a day) and the number of days you plan to stay in Europe. E.g. you plan to visit for 5 days, all you are required to evidence in your account is minimum 150 euros. Cheap tickets are available from budget airlines especially for journeys during the week. Cheap accommodation can be sourced from the likes of booking.com and lastminute.com. Affordable travel insurance can be purchased from price comparison sites.

Its standard 2 years for Nigerians even for renewal. Ghanaians get 5 to 10 years when they renew. To the best of my knowledge, Dropbox doesn't apply in the UK.

Cc aopecy hustla SamReinvented
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Emmyk(m): 10:42pm On Mar 24, 2022
Goke7:

Try Tesco Bank credit card, if you get 90% approval go ahead and apply but anything less than 90% don't even try. One major issue is you having a full time job, if you don't have, hardly can you get a credit card
Thanks. I'll try.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 10:48pm On Mar 24, 2022
akaprince:
Hello fam.

Please, how can one get a very cheap car rental service in the UK that includes insurance, MOT and service? I just want to pay monthly rental while the car company takes care of the rest. Got NHS job that requires driving to the homes of patients.

Can't afford to buy a car as the trust requires I have a car to drive for the job on resumption day. And I don't qualify for car salary sacrifice scheme according to the trust.

Please, kindly help.

Thanks

Buying a car isn't as expensive as you think. In fact, some cars might be cheaper than this lease you're considering

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 10:50pm On Mar 24, 2022
Anniegood:
Hello, pls I need a clarification on some IHS I had last year

So I applied for UK student visa and got it but I was unable to travel. Will I still pay for the IHS again if I have to apply again this year ?

Pls help me out . Thank you.

I would have thought you'd push for a refund of the unused IHS. Sounds like something that should be possible, but not sure
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Famocious(m): 11:09pm On Mar 24, 2022
Hello house, I recently relocated to the UK and in dire need of pounds.

What are the best ways to get legit pounds in exchange for naira?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 11:11pm On Mar 24, 2022
Mamatukwas:
[/b]

Just checked this

It says:

Representative APR60.1% APR variable
Annual Fee£140 (£0 in your first year)

Credit LimitAssumed credit limit of £1,200

What happens if I don't spend out of the 1200 and just hold on to the card?

Can I just use the card to pay rent and then return almost immediately?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 11:13pm On Mar 24, 2022
Famocious:
Hello house, I recently relocated to the UK and in dire need of pounds.

What are the best ways to get legit pounds in exchange for naira?

-Mamatukwas
-Lexusgs430
-Telegram and align with someone in your school
-Form A if you're not in a hurry

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (337) (338) (339) (340) (341) (342) (343) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.