Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,665 members, 7,816,706 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:45 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (341) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1177700 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (338) (339) (340) (341) (342) (343) (344) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by BorisJohnson(f): 11:14pm On Mar 24, 2022
Anniegood:
Hello, pls I need a clarification on some IHS I had last year

So I applied for UK student visa and got it but I was unable to travel. Will I still pay for the IHS again if I have to apply again this year ?

Pls help me out . Thank you.

YES.

You will pay every single shishi. That one you paid last year....is gone. Forever.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by BorisJohnson(f): 11:15pm On Mar 24, 2022
Solumtoya:

I would have thought you'd push for a refund of the unused IHS. Sounds like something that should be possible, but not sure

Naaah. Visa was granted. OP was the one who didn't travel. The IHS paid do enter voicemail

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Famocious(m): 11:17pm On Mar 24, 2022
hustla:

-Mamatukwas
-Lexusgs430
-Telegram and align with someone in your school
-Form A if you're not in a hurry

Thanks for the assistance..

I applied for form A on the 28th of February using First Bank, sadly, I didn't get approval until after I left the country a week ago.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by BorisJohnson(f): 11:20pm On Mar 24, 2022
hustla:

Just checked this

It says:

Representative APR60.1% APR variable
Annual Fee£140 (£0 in your first year)

Credit LimitAssumed credit limit of £1,200

What happens if I don't spend out of the 1200 and just hold on to the card?

Can I just use the card to pay rent and then return almost immediately?

MOST rents are paid via Direct Debit. Or with sort code and account number. Except if your landlord is so techie that they accept credit card payment.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Hkana: 11:29pm On Mar 24, 2022
Lexusgs430:

You might have to start at the bottom, and build yourself up ........

No dey carry shoulder o .......... grin

I'm looking for anything to start with. If I see the bottom sef, I'm diving it with both hands.

@bolded. Lol grin grin grin I no kuku get shoulder
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 11:32pm On Mar 24, 2022
BorisJohnson:

MOST rents are paid via Direct Debit. Or with sort code and account number. Except if your landlord is so techie that they accept credit card payment.

Its a shared apartment

I think they do
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 11:33pm On Mar 24, 2022
Famocious:

Thanks for the assistance..

I applied for form A on the 28th of February using First Bank, sadly, I didn't get approval until after I left the country a week ago.

Didnt you do it online?

You should be able to buy from the people I mentioned

Just wait for a reply
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by BorisJohnson(f): 11:36pm On Mar 24, 2022
Tamp2017:

Have u gotten ur passport? I am in the same situation

After LONG, LONG TIME. Yes. Passport was returned.
All those pay to call and pay to email "we will escalate" wait for 15 working days.Na rubbish abeg.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by BorisJohnson(f): 11:38pm On Mar 24, 2022
hustla:

Its a shared apartment

I think they do

better to be sure. very very sure.

By the way, before applying for credit card. Do you have a credit file? A credit history?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Famocious(m): 11:46pm On Mar 24, 2022
hustla:

Didnt you do it online?

You should be able to buy from the people I mentioned

Just wait for a reply

Thanks.

The application was on Trade system website.. I realized very late that first bank is a wrong bank to access PTA from..
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 11:53pm On Mar 24, 2022
BorisJohnson:

better to be sure. very very sure.

By the way, before applying for credit card. Do you have a credit file? A credit history?

None that I know of o

Thinking of getting 02 or EE sim first but i would like to migrate my present number there

Ill ask about the payment for the rent

Is there any implication if i dont use the cc i collect?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 11:54pm On Mar 24, 2022
Famocious:

Thanks.

The application was on Trade system website.. I realized very late that first bank is a wrong bank to access PTA from..

Mine is now 3 weeks and counting

Nigeria is broke and short on forex

grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Famocious(m): 12:12am On Mar 25, 2022
hustla:

Mine is now 3 weeks and counting

Nigeria is broke and short on forex

grin

So I heard at First Bank Garki branch while a friend got his within 6 days of application from Fidelity bank in Lagos.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mrnairaland1(m): 12:39am On Mar 25, 2022
Go to bull ring market at the city centre or visit samis store
blessuk16:
abeg where i fi buy turkey(proper turkey not cuts or whatnots) or goatmeat around Birmingham

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 3:53am On Mar 25, 2022
Welsh Government has announced that a £150 cost of living payment is to be paid to the account of all occupiers of properties that are in council tax bands A, B, C and D.

The £150 is not a rebate on the council tax bill, it is a payment to help with the rising cost of all utility bills.

A working Government.

My question is "For those on Tier 4 visa not eligible to Public Funds, Is this Public Funds?"

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mex551(m): 5:26am On Mar 25, 2022
Solumtoya:
Welsh Government has announced that a £150 cost of living payment is to be paid to the account of all occupiers of properties that are in council tax bands A, B, C and D.

The £150 is not a rebate on the council tax bill, it is a payment to help with the rising cost of all utility bills.

A working Government.

My question is "For those on Tier 4 visa not eligible to Public Funds, Is this Public Funds?"

I should think so.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ray7878: 6:48am On Mar 25, 2022
hustla:

None that I know of o

Thinking of getting 02 or EE sim first but i would like to migrate my present number there

Ill ask about the payment for the rent

Is there any implication if i dont use the cc i collect?

There is no implication if you don’t use your CC, but to build your name/credit it’s better to use it and pay it back in full. So for example if you already have the money in cash and you wanted to buy something for £79 at a shop, rather than pay cash or use your DC don’t. Use the CC to pay for it. And then pay back your CC with the cash that you already have sitting in the bank.

Do that for like 6 months and your credit limit would have gone up, you can apply for a higher credit limit, or get a better CC from a different bank. And within 12 - 18 months you would/should hopefully have options for overdraft on your DC/bank account.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ray7878: 6:50am On Mar 25, 2022
Solumtoya:

A working Government.

Yep am pretty sure that’s is public funds. Because that money is coming out of the taxpayers coffers.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 7:04am On Mar 25, 2022
Ray7878:

Yep am pretty sure that’s is public funds. Because that money is coming out of the taxpayers coffers.

Hmmm... So, I'm to write back to the Council pleading that I shouldn't be sent? It's just £150 so not like I'm missing out on so much.

Another thing I might do is look for email addresses of UKVI and inform them of the mail I got from the Welsh Government.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mex551(m): 7:08am On Mar 25, 2022
Solumtoya:

Hmmm... So, I'm to write back to the Council pleading that I shouldn't be sent? It's just £150 so not like I'm missing out on so much.

Another thing I might do is look for email addresses of UKVI and inform them of the mail I got from the Welsh Government.
u get time shaa

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ray7878: 7:52am On Mar 25, 2022
Solumtoya:

I don’t think you need to write to them, if you don’t qualify for it then am sure they wouldn’t have you on their list. If they did then it’s not your fault in a way, some aren’t aware what they are entitled to or not.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by wallg123: 8:02am On Mar 25, 2022
Ray7878:

Are you the home owner or the person paying the council tax?. If yes then no problem… I thought student on tier4 visa dey exempt from paying council tax?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mamatukwas: 8:02am On Mar 25, 2022
hustla:

Just checked this

It says:

Representative APR60.1% APR variable
Annual Fee£140 (£0 in your first year)

Credit LimitAssumed credit limit of £1,200

What happens if I don't spend out of the 1200 and just hold on to the card?

Can I just use the card to pay rent and then return almost immediately?

Maybe not rent but yes you can spend and repay immediately. That’s what I do.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mamatukwas: 8:04am On Mar 25, 2022
hustla:

-Mamatukwas
-Lexusgs430
-Telegram and align with someone in your school
-Form A if you're not in a hurry

I don’t do £. Only Naira smiley
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Famocious(m): 8:39am On Mar 25, 2022
Mamatukwas:

I don’t do £. Only Naira smiley

I have naira but need pounds.. Noted
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 8:40am On Mar 25, 2022
Mamatukwas:

Maybe not rent but yes you can spend and repay immediately. That’s what I do.

Thanks boss!

Can i switch my number to another provider?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 8:41am On Mar 25, 2022
Ray7878:

There is no implication if you don’t use your CC, but to build your name/credit it’s better to use it and pay it back in full. So for example if you already have the money in cash and you wanted to buy something for £79 at a shop, rather than pay cash or use your DC don’t. Use the CC to pay for it. And then pay back your CC with the cash that you already have sitting in the bank.

Do that for like 6 months and your credit limit would have gone up, you can apply for a higher credit limit, or get a better CC from a different bank. And within 12 - 18 months you would/should hopefully have options for overdraft on your DC/bank account.

Thanks for the explanation, I appreciate

Ill start looking into that Amex from June .. should be on a good standing by 2023 June
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mimilyrics: 9:17am On Mar 25, 2022
Yes, you can. You’ll need to request for a PAC (Porting Authorisation Code) from your old network and give it to your new provider when you order your sim from your new provider.
Text 'PAC' to 65075, using the number that you want to keep to receive your PAC.
hustla:

Thanks boss!

Can i switch my number to another provider?

5 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 9:26am On Mar 25, 2022
mimilyrics:
Yes, you can. You’ll need to request for a PAC (Porting Authorisation Code) from your old network and give it to your new provider when you order your sim from your new provider.
Text 'PAC' to 65075, using the number that you want to keep to receive your PAC.

Imagine not loving Nairaland

grin

Many thanks Mimi!

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by emeraldoe(f): 9:46am On Mar 25, 2022
I have pounds. How much do u need?
Famocious:

I have naira but need pounds.. Noted
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ray7878: 10:26am On Mar 25, 2022
hustla:

Thanks for the explanation, I appreciate

Ill start looking into that Amex from June .. should be on a good standing by 2023 June

Yep Amex are very good like that, I have 2 with them £8k each. A lot of people around you can recommend you once you have built up your credit profile. This is a great way to get on the property ladder too once you feel ready.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ray7878: 10:28am On Mar 25, 2022
wallg123:

Are you the home owner or the person paying the council tax?. If yes then no problem… I thought student on tier4 visa dey exempt from paying council tax?

I think you have got the wrong person here. Your question was probably meant for someone else. But as far as am aware students don’t pay for council tax.

(1) (2) (3) ... (338) (339) (340) (341) (342) (343) (344) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.