Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,716 members, 7,816,949 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:54 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (425) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1177904 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (422) (423) (424) (425) (426) (427) (428) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 7:46pm On May 10, 2022
CheesyTee:

I tried. It was rejected
Call them, don’t apply online.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mizGene(f): 7:54pm On May 10, 2022
Hanzzyyy:

So if the child is 6 years, or less than 16 they will pay remaining 15hrs on State funded school?
But it is written in the GOV.UK site that dependants of Tier 2/Tier 4 are entitled to study in State Funded Schools.
So can you share more light on this 15Hrs??
The GOV. UK site didn't put any limits to the entitlement? I've always known only 15hrs entitlement for all under 5s.
I'm sure persons with more knowledge of this will chip in.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mizGene(f): 7:56pm On May 10, 2022
tushqueen:

I couldn't find where to read the rules and all. I only found questions....

See where it says "Highway Code"?

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mizGene(f): 7:56pm On May 10, 2022
yolkman20:

the one for 4.99pounds?
I sent my provisional drivers license application form with BRP on the first working day after easter and my BRP was returned yesterday. Expecting the license to be delivered this week. I wanna start practising for the theory test as well.
Yep.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Hanzzyyy(m): 8:10pm On May 10, 2022
Thank you smiley
mizGene:

The GOV. UK site didn't put any limits to the entitlement? I've always known only 15hrs entitlement for all under 5s.
I'm sure persons with more knowledge of this will chop I'm.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mex551(m): 8:44pm On May 10, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Simply cancel prime subscription, within your Amazon account..... He would get a refund.........
you just reminded me now...I have to quickly go and cancel mine and Gramarily which I subscribed earlier. Na so dem for deduct money from me this month
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by CheesyTee(f): 10:44pm On May 10, 2022
Oh. Thank you.

I'll do that tomorrow.
Amarathripple0:

Call them, don’t apply online.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Walepro7: 11:19pm On May 10, 2022
Hello house
I got a mail from ULaw to complete Assessment of competencies with two examples each
Can anyone Guide me on how to write it
employability skills which include
Self management
Team work
Business and consumer awareness
Problem solving and critical thinking
Application of numeracy
Application of IT:
Entrepreneurship/enterprise:
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by specialenvoy: 12:27am On May 11, 2022
If I cancel one leg of a ticket on BA, like how much will they refund as vouchers?

Or is there any way I can leave the ticket open and pick a new date later without any penalty charges for missing the flight?

Anyone with such experience should please assist. Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 1:49am On May 11, 2022
specialenvoy:
If I cancel one leg of a ticket on BA, like how much will they refund as vouchers?

Or is there any way I can leave the ticket open and pick a new date later without any penalty charges for missing the flight?

Near to £0.00.....

Check terms and conditions, of your ticket..... Is it refundable or non refundable.........

If you have not bought the ticket yet, just buy single..... If you have bought the ticket, call BA for advice......
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 1:52am On May 11, 2022
mex551:
you just reminded me now...I have to quickly go and cancel mine and Gramarily which I subscribed earlier. Na so dem for deduct money from me this month

Why you dey fear nah ........ You have a brand spanking new AMEX virgin card ......... Completely untouched.... grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Osoderi(m): 2:54am On May 11, 2022
How can I study in the UK on a spouse visa? Studying in the UK for non-UK nationals is so expensive, and they also cannot get any sponsorship. Any advice pls. Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 3:00am On May 11, 2022
Osoderi:
How can I study in the UK on a spouse visa? Studying in the UK for non-UK nationals is so expensive, and they also cannot get any sponsorship. Any advice pls. Thank you

You cannot immediately..... Wait till you qualify for home students status........ Still expensive, but better than foreign students..........

£9000 is better than £15000. (I think)........ wink

Or whatever foreign crazy fees, they charge now .......

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by humbleprof19(m): 3:20am On May 11, 2022
yolkman20:

the one for 4.99pounds?
I sent my provisional drivers license application form with BRP on the first working day after easter and my BRP was returned yesterday. Expecting the license to be delivered this week. I wanna start practising for the theory test as well.

Please I need clarification about sending my BRP and application.
After disregarding the initial DVLA envelope, on the new envelope do I need to get a stamp from the post office, please which stamp?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bakol: 3:47am On May 11, 2022
Dear Colleagues,

Please, does anyone here has any other idea on how to secure a 3 bedroom apartment in EXETER aside going through the zoopla, etc?

Your kind help is urgently needed.

Thank you in advance
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 4:05am On May 11, 2022
bakol:
Dear Colleagues,

Please, does anyone here has any other idea on how to secure a 3 bedroom apartment in EXETER aside going through the zoopla, etc?

Thank you in advance

If you attend a church, mosque or traditional shrine..... Ask fellow worshippers.........

Shop windows, local papers, colleagues at work, word of mouth, social gatherings............ smiley

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 6:40am On May 11, 2022
specialenvoy:

If you've already bought the ticket, and you want to change the date of one leg of the trip, you can do that from the website, it should give you options as to how much the change will cost.

If you want to omit that leg altogether, your only option is to cancel the whole trip, collect a voucher and buy another ticket omitting the part you don't want.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by specialenvoy: 6:47am On May 11, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

If you've already bought the ticket, and you want to change the date of one leg of the trip, you can do that from the website, it should give you options as to how much the change will cost.

If you want to omit that leg altogether, your only option is to cancel the whole trip, collect a voucher and buy another ticket omitting the part you don't want.

Thanks, I have requested the voucher, but they didn't attach any value. How can I know the value?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 7:22am On May 11, 2022
specialenvoy:

Thanks, I have requested the voucher, but they didn't attach any value. How can I know the value?

The voucher should indicate the amount of the money you have available on it.
I have a BA evoucher for a cancelled flight and it clearly states the amount paid which I can use for a fresh booking.
Check the email they sent you again.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by aminlove(m): 7:25am On May 11, 2022
Is anybody using the Lebara network here? How can I use it to call Nigerian numbers? Or which network is good for that?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 7:37am On May 11, 2022
aminlove:
Is anybody using the Lebara network here? How can I use it to call Nigerian numbers? Or which network is good for that?

Top up first, then dial 0023480..............

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by lightest(m): 9:07am On May 11, 2022
humbleprof19:

Please I need clarification about sending my BRP and application.
After disregarding the initial DVLA envelope, on the new envelope do I need to get a stamp from the post office, please which stamp?

Yes u need stamp on the envelope and u can register it if u want. But make sure u put registered return self address envelope for the return of ur BRP
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 10:33am On May 11, 2022
lightnlife:
Hello ladies and gentlemen,

I just got into the UK. grin

Thanks to everyone for all the insight being shared on this platform.

I'm trying to open a Revolut account via my partner's referral code but they stated that I'll have to add another banking details before I can proceed and reward my partner with the £60 bonus. I don't have any UK account yet. Revolut is suppose to be my first.

Is this the right process? What do you advise?

Just have your partner transfer into the Account. Sometimes, it takes a while to tick on the referral page but once you do 3 transactions, it should

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 10:44am On May 11, 2022
Missposh:
Please help me reason this my question o, I just got an apartment barely settled in and TV license people sent a letter to say they've opened investigation to come visit the house and confirm we don't watch live TV.

As a background to the above, it appears there has been series of correspondence between the former tenant and TV license people which went unanswered before we moved in.
Thinking of calling them on phone to say we've only just moved into UK and not aware of the previous correspondence, and we opened this letter because it read legal occupier, and we are now the legal occupier and also to say we don't have TV, no plan of getting TV any time soon and we've not been watching live TV since arriving here. Is this OK to say

Please your opinions are highly welcome. Thanks

Yup, it's normal. TV License is not transferable so you can get yours by paying about £165 per Annum and it can be broken down to monthly. I usually advise people to just pay it instead of arguing that they don't have a TV because even if you watch Live programmes on any device (phone, tablet, etc) within the Apartment, you are still eligible so instead of keep proving periodically that yoh don't watch BBC or any other programme in the list, just close eye and pay for the license.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by canadaishome: 11:07am On May 11, 2022
canadaishome:
SOS!!!
Canada have asked me for passport after 3 years, they don wake up!!
We are already booked for biometrics for April 27 and deadline to submit to Canada is May 8.
I've tried contacting Nigerian high Commission in London about expedited processing but their phone line never gets answered.
Please guys I need your help

Does anyone know if fast/expedited processing is still an option? No information on their website about this

How can I contact UK high Commission and get a fast response?

Update
As advised by the GuyfromHr

Spoke to the guys at the high commission, showed them the letter from Canada IRCC stipulating deadline. Got passports in hand the next day after biometrics
Thank you!

9 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Endlessgrace: 11:36am On May 11, 2022
ProfJYK:
Please who can help with a link or plug for NIN enrollement in the Manchester Area as a prerequisite for Nigerian Passport renewal. We are also willing to travel far if that solves our problem.

The steps listed online insists on a "pre-enrollment" to be done online and all the portal has been unresponsive for two weeks now. Can we skip the pre-enrollment phase and just book an appointment/turn up for capturing

The person to be enrolled is a minor whose passport will expire in August.

https://iq-online.net/book-uk/
You can book your appointment here.

3 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ProfJYK(m): 11:44am On May 11, 2022
Endlessgrace:

https://iq-online.net/book-uk/
You can book your appointment here.

Thank You.

On it now.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DeeOneBangin: 1:22pm On May 11, 2022
bakol:
Dear Colleagues,

Thank you in advance

Just got an apartment in Exeter. Houses here are expensive ooo compared to Manchester where I came from. The competition too is crazy, for every house newly posted on zoopla, rightmove, open rent and all, whenever I go for viewing I will see like 4-5 other applicants like me, after like 2days they will say landlord has chosen someone else.

Eventually I was able to secure one through Smart Estate Agent. Search them and check their website and probably give them a call.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Juwon3601: 1:31pm On May 11, 2022
Pls is it easy to get a job in birmingham uk as a foreigner
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by specialenvoy: 2:07pm On May 11, 2022
I'm surprised though, could it be because it's a return leg that was cancelled. No amount was specified in the email
See the message sent in the email

How to use your voucher
Once you are ready to redeem your voucher, simply call us to book a new flight or holiday, at which time we will also confirm the remaining value on your voucher

TheGuyFromHR:

The voucher should indicate the amount of the money you have available on it.
I have a BA evoucher for a cancelled flight and it clearly states the amount paid which I can use for a fresh booking.
Check the email they sent you again.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by humbleprof19(m): 3:17pm On May 11, 2022
lightest:

Yes u need stamp on the envelope and u can register it if u want. But make sure u put registered return self address envelope for the return of ur BRP

how do I put a registered return address on the envelope ? Do I just write the return address on it ?
Is it s normal stamp or priority stamp ?

Can someone please explain in plain English, I be JJC and don't understand
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by NNTR: 4:00pm On May 11, 2022
Aphrodite007:
The only accepted po certificate is from scrum (because scrum made the term PO) other agile framework adopted it. But if you want to do other courses to get the certification- sure do you.

There’s no acceptable PM body (at least in the Uk), but if you believe the course you’re doing on Udemy will be used by recruiters, sure do you.

Also, PMs are previously very experienced BAs, POs, DMs, Agile Coaches, Prject Mgrs. there is no direct path to PM unless you start as a junior (not many companies employ junior roles).

P.S; in the UK (unlike America) certificates don’t get you a job, experience does. Certificates only give you the knowledge you need to answer interview questions well.
With all due respect, the emboldened is completely and utterly wrong, certificates will open doors, then its left to you to pitch and convince you're capable of doing the job applied for.

lightnlife:
Thanks for the insight.

I've taken a couple of courses on Scrum and aced the scrum assessment - 100% consistently...Now I feel ready and confident to take the main exam.

As you noted, junior scrum roles are not quite easy to come by and the major scrum roles require years of experience.

Question: How can one make an entry to the role; are there scrum volunteering opportunities? I've watched a lot of videos on getting started as a new scrum master but they're not detailed.

Please share more insights on making entry to the world of scrum.
1. Appropriate and suitably drafted CV (i.e. curriculum vitae) or Resume e.g. make sure its applicant tracking systems (ATS) friendly
2. Recruitment Agencies, allows you to get a foot in the door, also serve as opportunities to get interviews, from which you can learn from
3. Certification(s) even foundational entry certification(s) are game changers
4. Networking, meaning, mingle and interact with others with similar professional interest, to exchange information and for developing your professional or social contacts

Personal text: Jesus is not a theologian. He is God who told stories.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (422) (423) (424) (425) (426) (427) (428) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.