Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,214 members, 7,836,046 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:46 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (426) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1199431 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (423) (424) (425) (426) (427) (428) (429) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by canadaishome: 4:24pm On May 11, 2022
Guys, please has anyone ever gotten a jury citation?

My wife was selected for jury service

Does anyone have experience with this?

The letter says if she doesn't turn up, a fine of £1000 awaits
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Osoderi(m): 4:26pm On May 11, 2022
Lexusgs430:

You cannot immediately..... Wait till you qualify for home students status........ Still expensive, but better than foreign students..........

£9000 is better than £15000. (I think)........ wink

Or whatever foreign crazy fees, they charge now .......

ok. Thank you. can one qualify after three years or till when i get indefinite leave?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 4:56pm On May 11, 2022
NNTR:
With all due respect, the emboldened is completely and utterly wrong, certificates will open doors, then its left to you to pitch and convince you're capable of doing the job applied
What's the difference between what I bolded and the quote you bolded?

I thought you even wanted to say once you present certificate, the job is yours.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by davide470(m): 4:57pm On May 11, 2022
canadaishome:

cheesy cheesy Quite funny but a fine actually awaits her.

Well, see attached wink

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 4:59pm On May 11, 2022
Osoderi:

ok. Thank you. can one qualify after three years or till when i get indefinite leave?

I think 3 years is for British citizens, that previously resided abroad........

In your case, I think it's after 5 years...........
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 5:00pm On May 11, 2022
canadaishome:

Lol, dont panic.

What I do know is this - If your wife is working, she will get her pay reimbursed by the government for the days she has to go to court, and her employer cannot sack her for that. There is a form the employer has to fill (more work for HR) if they wont pay her (at least here in England, check to see if its the same where you are), and she will claim back from the government.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mex551(m): 5:05pm On May 11, 2022
canadaishome:

pardon my ignorance, abeg which one again is Jury Service for this uk?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Goke7: 5:07pm On May 11, 2022
NNTR:
With all due respect, the emboldened is completely and utterly wrong, certificates will open doors, then its left to you to pitch and convince you're capable of doing the job applied for.

Not true, this is why many folks will get caught lacking enough experience for the job they got after blabbing their way through the interview. Except the interviewer is not intelligent or knowledgable, it's easy to spot someone without experience during an interview. The guy you quoted is every right. The Uk job market is experienced-based and not certificate-based. You can have a certification but a lack of experience will expose you very quickly

1. Appropriate and suitably drafted CV (i.e. curriculum vitae) or Resume e.g. make sure its applicant tracking systems (ATS) friendly
2. Recruitment Agencies, allows you to get a foot in the door, also serve as opportunities to get interviews, from which you can learn from
3. Certification(s) even foundational entry certification(s) are game changers
4. Networking, meaning, mingle and interact with others with similar professional interest, to exchange information and for developing your professional or social contacts

Personal text: Jesus is not a theologian. He is God who told stories.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 5:07pm On May 11, 2022
mex551:
pardon my ignorance, abeg which one again is Jury Service for this uk?

The same thing that happens on TV, they select names randomly from the voters register and summon you to come and hear tori in court about a matter then decide who gets to go to jail/pay damages or not.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by inphoenix: 5:12pm On May 11, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

The same thing that happens on TV, they select names randomly from the voters register and summon you to come and hear tori in court about a matter then decide who gets to go to jail/pay damages or not.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 5:57pm On May 11, 2022
NNTR:
With all due respect, the emboldened is completely and utterly wrong, certificates will open doors, then its left to you to pitch and convince you're capable of doing the job applied for.

1. Appropriate and suitably drafted CV (i.e. curriculum vitae) or Resume e.g. make sure its applicant tracking systems (ATS) friendly
2. Recruitment Agencies, allows you to get a foot in the door, also serve as opportunities to get interviews, from which you can learn from
3. Certification(s) even foundational entry certification(s) are game changers
4. Networking, meaning, mingle and interact with others with similar professional interest, to exchange information and for developing your professional or social contacts

Well, I think you have a high chance of getting a job with your previous experience in the uk.
No one cares if you studied in a private university or not.
So, I think the OP is not wrong. If you like come with your first class degree, if you don't have experience.
You will struggle. No cap
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 6:20pm On May 11, 2022
Travelled to this schegen country some weeks ago.
On arrival at the border, the woman kept on staring and scratching my passport like there is eba on the sticker. grin
I later showed her my brp before she later calm down.
It's so annoying
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 6:23pm On May 11, 2022
onecoder:
Travelled to this schegen country some weeks ago.
On arrival at the border, the woman kept on staring and scratching my passport like there is eba on the sticker. grin
I later showed her my brp before she later calm down.
It's so annoying

Ahahahhah… which country did u go too? Planning on going estonia next month.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by NNTR: 6:25pm On May 11, 2022
Viruses:
What's the difference between what I bolded and the quote you bolded?
'in the UK (unlike America) certificates don’t get you a job, experience does' is the difference

Viruses:
I thought you even wanted to say once you present certificate, the job is yours.
Having certification is and/or can be a major game changer

I am sure that I am not the only one thats living proof of getting positions with presenting certifications and not experience obtained from prior gainful employment.

With certification(s) you get a sniff of the door chance, as your CV wouldnt have been sifted by the ATS. The first hurdle to jump, is to make it past the sifting 'bot' standing in the middle of you and a human.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by NNTR: 6:25pm On May 11, 2022
Goke7:
Not true, this is why many folks will get caught lacking enough experience for the job they got after blabbing their way through the interview. Except the interviewer is not intelligent or knowledgable, it's easy to spot someone without experience during an interview. The guy you quoted is every right.
The guy I quoted made a flippant remark in saying '... certificates don’t get you a job, experience does'

Goke7:
The Uk job market is experienced-based and not certificate-based.

You can have a certification but a lack of experience will expose you very quickly
UK professional market is certification cum experience driven. Certifications are hardly passed with lack of experience

I can have professional body certification(s) with loadsa experience in it, obtained from other sources, aside gainful employment.

Entry level positions doesnt necessarily require having gainful employment experience, as there's what's called learn on the job

onecoder:
Well, I think you have a high chance of getting a job with your previous experience in the uk.
No one cares if you studied in a private university or not.
So, I think the OP is not wrong. If you like come with your first class degree, if you don't have experience.
You will struggle. No cap
OP was wrong in saying 'certificates don’t get you a job, experience does', when its common knowledge that entry level positions, doesnt necessarily require having upfront gainful employment experience, as there's what's called 'learn on the job' with aim to equip with the range of skills and the experience to foster a successful career.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 6:25pm On May 11, 2022
Irenenwaka:

Ahahahhah… which country did u go too? Planning on going estonia next month.
Germany and Denmark
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 6:46pm On May 11, 2022
mizGene:

Traditional wedding is a legal union I believe, it is recognised by law. And the man has not yet committed bigamy until he marries the other lady in court or church, I stand to be corrected.

Traditional wedding, is not a legal union..... Even in Nigeria, that believes in traditional nonsense........ It's still not legal and not recognised by any laws .........
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 6:47pm On May 11, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

But the customary marriage is a strange concept unlike the statutory marriage when it comes to ending it - most people usually don't bother to go through a customary court process (which is what Nigerian law states if I remember clearly) when it comes to dissolving it, they just end it by their own tradition (returning bride price or gifts, etc), and move on from there.

Basically the principle roughly boils down to if you got married by carrying wine to collect your wife, you divorce by collecting back your wine and returning the lady (apologies to feminists).

So is traditional wedding, a legal union........
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by lavida001: 6:59pm On May 11, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Hi couples in the abroad. I would like to know if you presented just any marriage certificate e.g Islamic certificate when applying for visa or is it a must the certificate must come from the famous ikoyi registry ? Would approciate answers from couples that migrated pls
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 7:02pm On May 11, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Yes, it is.
The law recognises it, and it is supposed to be dealt with in customary courts, which are more of a mess than the ordinary courts are, because the judges there are supposed to find out and agree on the customary rules to apply, which can be iffy.

I said its a messy grey area because a) you can lawfully marry more than one wife for instance, as long as you don't take her near any marriage registry or licensed place of worship to formalise that; b) all children born of those marriages are legitimate and all have an equal right to declare war and come and fight when their baba dies, and c) divorce is still largely unregistered, when you wan go, you return the madam, settle matters among the families, remove her from your NOK, change gear and enter another lane, which is generally accepted, even though I think in theory paperwork is supposed to be provided.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 7:31pm On May 11, 2022
canadaishome:

My lecturer spoke about this in our IT law class
Not a big deal according to her
grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 7:32pm On May 11, 2022
lavida001:

Hi couples in the abroad. I would like to know if you presented just any marriage certificate e.g Islamic certificate when applying for visa or is it a must the certificate must come from the famous ikoyi registry ? Would approciate answers from couples that migrated pls

As far as I know, even the ones gotten from Abeokuta LG registry are accepted, doesnt have to be Ikoyi

I doubt Islamic certs are accepted smiley
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 7:32pm On May 11, 2022
Who's watching Google IO?

You can now ask that information about you be removed from Google search results smiley

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by lightest(m): 7:34pm On May 11, 2022
humbleprof19:

how do I put a registered return address on the envelope ? Do I just write the return address on it ?
Is it s normal stamp or priority stamp ?

Can someone please explain in plain E
nglish, I be JJC and don't understand

Go to Post Office, after u must have address the DVLA envelope, there is a form sent to u with the earlier pre addressed enveloped. Add the filled form to the new addressed envelope. At post office, tell the attendant that u want to buy a registered envelope (it is polythene in nature) write ur address on it for the return of ur BRP. And remember to add ur BRP to the envelope before sending. U can buy priority stamp, normal stamp or u decide to register the whole. It is better u register both the going and the returning envelope. Hope this help

7 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by CheesyTee(f): 7:39pm On May 11, 2022
Amarathripple0:

Call them, don’t apply online.

Thank you. Application approved. Phone on its way!!!

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by giselle237: 8:01pm On May 11, 2022
lavida001:

Hi couples in the abroad. I would like to know if you presented just any marriage certificate e.g Islamic certificate when applying for visa or is it a must the certificate must come from the famous ikoyi registry? Would approciate answers from couples that migrated pls

It is accepted. Avoid wrong information. Ikoyi kor, Iyana Ipaja ni

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by giselle237: 8:06pm On May 11, 2022
Lexusgs430:
Traditional wedding, is not a legal union..... Even in Nigeria, that believes in traditional nonsense........ It's still not legal and not recognised by any laws .........

it is recognized. The drama the United States embassies in Lagos and Abuja do with k1 visas once they find out you have done traditional wedding/ceremony/engagement in Nigeria is a prime example.
If they get knowledge that a traditional wedding or payment of bride price has occurred, the applicant will be denied immediately under k1(fiance) visa and asked to go and reapply under the CORRECT route.
The correct route been spousal visa as they recognise that been traditionally married in Nigeria means you are lawfully married and can no longer come under K1 visa which is fiance visa.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 8:18pm On May 11, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

Yes, it is.
The law recognises it, and it is supposed to be dealt with in customary courts, which are more of a mess than the ordinary courts are, because the judges there are supposed to find out and agree on the customary rules to apply, which can be iffy.

I said its a messy grey area because a) you can lawfully marry more than one wife for instance, as long as you don't take her near any marriage registry or licensed place of worship to formalise that; b) all children born of those marriages are legitimate and all have an equal right to declare war and come and fight when their baba dies, and c) divorce is still largely unregistered, when you wan go, you return the madam, settle matters among the families, remove her from your NOK, change gear and enter another lane, which is generally accepted, even though I think in theory paperwork is supposed to be provided.

Which reasonable thinking woman, would rather go traditional, and ignore legal protection.......... cheesy

Traditional wedding, is simply a sexist arrangement........ wink
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 8:30pm On May 11, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Which reasonable thinking woman, would rather go traditional, and ignore legal protection.......... cheesy

Traditional wedding, is simply a sexist arrangement........ wink

I agree, but the same women who talk about being independent would rather die than not have a "trado wedding", disregarding the sexist implications of the ceremony in most cultures - one man comes and basically pays a [sometimes tokenistic, sometimes not] sum of money/hands over valuable consideration to another group of men [who impliedly "own" her], and carries off the woman. I think feminists should turn their attention to those aspects of the ceremony and advocate for abandoning it and going through with only one form - which apparently recognises the equality of the parties.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by canadaishome: 8:40pm On May 11, 2022
davide470:
cheesy cheesy Quite funny but a fine actually awaits her.

Well, see attached wink

Interesting

She no qualify for exemption be that
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by canadaishome: 8:41pm On May 11, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

Lol, dont panic.

What I do know is this - If your wife is working, she will get her pay reimbursed by the government for the days she has to go to court, and her employer cannot sack her for that. There is a form the employer has to fill (more work for HR) if they wont pay her (at least here in England, check to see if its the same where you are), and she will claim back from the government.

Yes it's stated that if her employer don't pay, they will pay for loss of income
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 8:47pm On May 11, 2022
CheesyTee:

Thank you. Application approved. Phone on its way!!!
Congratulations!! You’re welcome �

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (423) (424) (425) (426) (427) (428) (429) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.