Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,814 members, 7,813,683 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:15 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (444) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1171921 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (441) (442) (443) (444) (445) (446) (447) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mamatukwas: 5:16pm On May 19, 2022
Khalifa99:
Hello everybody
I just arrived in the uk 2 days ago
Can someone please suggest a bank I can set up online
Monzo won’t give me one
And netwest is asking for proof of living

I only have my student id
And my brp card.

Have you tried Starling?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dubaiprince: 5:19pm On May 19, 2022
Khalifa99:
Hello everybody
Monzo won’t give me one

And my brp card.

Try starling
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dubaiprince: 5:30pm On May 19, 2022
Viruses:
I got a letter to redeem 150 as part of the energy rebate scheme. Is this public funds?

No it is not.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by samint1: 5:31pm On May 19, 2022
Khalifa99:
Hello everybody
Monzo won’t give me one

And my brp card.
Try Monese. It's quite easy to setup and use as well.
Join Monese and get up to £30 once you start spending! Just enter my invite code when you sign up: SAMU5946.

Download the app here: https://www.mone.se/7vQs/48dygzzy

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by wonlasewonimi: 5:44pm On May 19, 2022
Khalifa99:
Hello everybody
Monzo won’t give me one

And my brp card.

Everyone is saying try starling; my question is if you're using a UK phone number and what address are you using? Cos Starling is one of the toughest of the challenger banks cool Chase has to be the easiest

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Healhtyliving: 5:50pm On May 19, 2022
Consider high cost of living
spacyzuma:

Thanks. Guernsey's lower tax , smaller population and warmer weather is very attractive.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by erico2k2(m): 5:51pm On May 19, 2022
nellaluv:

What advice do you have for me. I learnt how to drive in Nigeria before I came over. I'm not an expert. The only time I was behind the wheel was with an instructor grin .
Since you already know how to drive then I will say book a friendly instructor to teach you how to pass, it might take up to 6 lessons, you should be orite
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by erico2k2(m): 5:53pm On May 19, 2022
MadeMen4Life:
Lol…. Take am easy bros, no be all newbies dem gada money send come UK… Some of them were really doing well in Nigeria before coming here… Your tone too harsh…
If na like this other Ogas for here dey reply, the decorum for this forum for no be like this… grin
Now I made a joke now it did not sound funny and you are being funny about it,U see the thing with you lot is you like to give stick and cant take back, just one joke you threw ur dummy outta the pusher

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by erico2k2(m): 5:56pm On May 19, 2022
justwise:

Loan is not better, if managed your cc properly don’t pay interest or charges which is not the same with loan.
you recon bro, check this loans has fixed repayment CC dont, they charge you on interest of the balance unless you clear your balance. However on my previous post I did state that o ne should stay away from CC until such time they are financially matured. Its an advice though as we all fell into this false sense of enrichment when we started, myself inclusive.
Don't you agree that a store card will do o ne much good than a CC?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by HaneefahRN(f): 5:58pm On May 19, 2022
icon8:

But you didn’t tell us that part before, did you?

That’s the exact point we were making. Yours is an exception (if it indeed happened), not the norm. A lot of mistakes happen due to laziness, high workload, and an array of other reasons. That it happened to you and a few others does not make it the norm, it often comes at a great cost when you have to refund the taxman from the money you have already spent the previous year. The fact is that tax is applied cumulatively from the first pay cycle (week or month - 1/52 or 1/12 as the case may be), not until after you have earned your full allowance for that tax year.

So, to answer the OP’s question again, tax is due for payment from the first wage/salary and their employer was right to have deducted and remitted their tax to HMRC from the first salary. This has nothing to do with tax code or gross earnings.

Waiting for the next person to quote me with the dictionary definition of tax code as if we are children that needed to be schooled cheesy

It is not so rare so don't doubt the other guy. Happened to me and many colleagues. They even deducted at first then refunded the deducted tax later and did not deduct income tax till I earned 12,500 or thereabouts.

Funny thing is some colleagues who had their tax deducted right from the start eventually got refunds.
This tax thing is confusing.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by erico2k2(m): 5:58pm On May 19, 2022
Viruses:

I thought the longer you stay in a place like UK, the more civilised you become
Yes this is true but for some riffraffs like you one got to go down n dirty and remind them that as a Warri boy, you cant come on here and chat shyte and get away with it, E dey we body las las nah you go drink the panadol!SO if you cant stand the heat stuff ursef outta the kitchen or better still foxtrot OScar!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by erico2k2(m): 6:00pm On May 19, 2022
ProfJYK:

One also is more likely to be approved for a low limit beginers credit card with poor credit than a loan.

Also, there are other reasons for taking a credit card apart from Credit Score.

Like it's also been repeatedly advised,
watch your spending,
only spend what you can pay back in full.
Watch your statement closing dates keenly.

Start with free cards without monthly or annual fees.

Follow these above, you will be fine.
The bolded can be achieved o nce one is financialy aged!U k now CC is like a spirit singing spend me, spend me grin grin grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 6:15pm On May 19, 2022
erico2k2:

Yes this is true but for some riffraffs like you one got to go down n dirty and remind them that as a Warri boy, you cant come on here and chat shyte and get away with it, E dey we body las las nah you go drink the panadol!SO if you cant stand the heat stuff ursef outta the kitchen or better still foxtrot OScar!
Since you have decided to go down dirty, I will just leave you alone in the mud, no need to fight dirty with a pig. Perhaps you stay at Peckham, Hackney or just about anywhere in Birmingstan.

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by erico2k2(m): 6:19pm On May 19, 2022
Viruses:

Since you have decided to go down dirty, I will just leave you alone in the mud, no need to fight dirty with a pig. Perhaps you stay at Peckham, Hackney or just about anywhere in Birmingstan.
where I stay should be the least of your worries, however where you come from I recon is one slum in lagos and you think you are better than those who live in Peckham where average house prices is above £500K
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by erico2k2(m): 6:27pm On May 19, 2022
HaneefahRN:

It is not so rare so don't doubt the other guy. Happened to me and many colleagues. They even deducted at first then refunded the deducted tax later and did not deduct income tax till I earned 12,500 or thereabouts.

[b]Funny thing is some colleagues who had their tax deducted right from the start eventually got refunds.
This tax thing is confusin[/b]g.
At the bolded its the correct way it is done!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by gistbite(f): 8:16pm On May 19, 2022
Lexusgs430:

When you on your TV now, you go think say you still dey 9ja ............. grin
When I'm ready ó, you will tell me the exact TV to get and how to get this package wink

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by obioraval(m): 8:48pm On May 19, 2022
specialenvoy:
It's called - Driving Theory Test 4 in 1 Kit by Driving Test Success Limited. You will pay 4.99 to buy it fully
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ticha: 9:46pm On May 19, 2022
erico2k2:

you recon bro, check this loans has fixed repayment CC dont, they charge you on interest of the balance unless you clear your balance. However on my previous post I did state that o ne should stay away from CC until such time they are financially matured. Its an advice though as we all fell into this false sense of enrichment when we started, myself inclusive.
Don't you agree that a store card will do o ne much good than a CC?

I have not paid interest on a credit card for more than 10 years and use CCs all the time. In fact, our summer trip has been paid for using a money transfer CC card which is interest free for 24 months. Of course I've paid the associated fee but that was about £140 only. I'd always take a CC over a loan as long as I need under £10k.

You are right though - CC is not free money and it is necessary to be very prudent in how one uses it. CC also gives purchase protections that loans do not give. There is a place for both.

For clarity - if you have to take credit where you pay interest then go for a loan as interest rates are almost always much lower for loans. However it is easier, way, way easier to get a CC than a loan.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by nellaluv(f): 10:03pm On May 19, 2022
erico2k2:

Since you already know how to drive then I will say book a friendly instructor to teach you how to pass, it might take up to 6 lessons, you should be orite

Alright thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by babranancy: 10:46pm On May 19, 2022
Can a nurse on tier 2 visa sponsorship in Uk take up extra online job that is not related to healthcare. Is it against the immigration rule? .
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rayralph(m): 10:58pm On May 19, 2022
babranancy:
Can a nurse on tier 2 visa sponsorship in Uk take up extra online job that is not related to healthcare. Is it against the immigration rule? .

Provided you don’t receive payments(salary) into your UK account.

HMRC will come for you.

If the online job is from a uk company, Home office will come for you too

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Blazeens: 11:02pm On May 19, 2022
Viruses:

na wa see as my Birmingham take stray bullet. kilode na

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by IAMSYLVIA: 11:12pm On May 19, 2022
£780 for sale at N740
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by MadeMen4Life: 11:28pm On May 19, 2022
Wahala grin grin grin

Wetin happen
rayralph:

Provided you don’t receive payments(salary) into your UK account.

HMRC will come for you.

If the online job is from a uk company, Home office will come for you too
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by umarwy(m): 12:31am On May 20, 2022
DeeOneBangin:

No way I can drive unaccompanied with provisional license. Driving with international. I still have few months before I hit the one year mark.

Did you do your insurance with a provisional license or with the international license.

Guy from my story before has insurance cancelled.

If your insurance is with provisional license then you would be driving without insurance when you are unaccompanied
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DeeOneBangin: 6:17am On May 20, 2022
umarwy:

Did you do your insurance with a provisional license or with the international license.

Guy from my story before has insurance cancelled.

If your insurance is with provisional license then you would be driving without insurance when you are unaccompanied

Did my insurance with international license.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 7:29am On May 20, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

This might be done innocently, but the bank could determine it fits the money mule pattern, so anyone considering this should bear that in mind.

I get your point but it's something he can do for a little amount only a few times. Once he gets proof of address, he can open his own traditional account.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 7:38am On May 20, 2022
Viruses:
I cannot download the amex app from playstore because the location on my phone is Nigeria. How can I change the location please? I have tried to no avail.

Have you sorted this? To change your Google Play country, navigate to your Google Pay Settings. Under Payments profile, click Edit next to Country/Regions. You can only do this once a year or so.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 7:41am On May 20, 2022
Khalifa99:
Hello everybody
Monzo won’t give me one

And my brp card.

You can get Revolut. I can give you £20 if you use my my link below: https://revolut.com/referral/jedidi9xv3!MAY1-22-AR
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ahappygirl: 12:16pm On May 20, 2022
Thanks alotttttt to @Lexusgs430 I have DSTV on my screen now and watching my most annoying advert of minimie chinchin...lol. Truly grateful I get to watch my flatmates show again..You're underrated sir.Thanks again

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by twizzie: 12:21pm On May 20, 2022
This here is the right phrase! You don't get the 10,000 avios until you spend £1k in 3 months.

jadepinkett:
http://amex.co.uk/refer/cHINWN7Jmu?XL=MNANS

Plugging in my Amex referral. You get 10,000 avios on sign up when you spend up to £1k in 3 months

(1) (2) (3) ... (441) (442) (443) (444) (445) (446) (447) ... (1007)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.