Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,771 members, 7,820,686 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:34 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (471) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1182781 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (468) (469) (470) (471) (472) (473) (474) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 7:46pm On Jun 12, 2022
Lexusgs430:

You start from scratch..........

Your Nigerian experience, is not a positive, but a negative......

1 - Obtain a provisional licence
2 - Get a driving instructor
3 - Start revising for your driving theory test
4 - Book your theory driving test (expires in 2 years, if you don't pass your practical driving test)
5 - When you understand the rudimentals of proper driving, awareness, perception etc etc
6 - Book your Driving practical test
7 - Ensure you avoid points within 2 years, or your licence would get revoked

NB : Remember, your vehicle horn is not a musical instrument.......... grin

Not in any particular order, but a guide ........ cool

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 7:52pm On Jun 12, 2022
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kaylov12: 8:52pm On Jun 12, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

I certainly shouldn't think so.
A quick look on Gov.uk shows that this is an incentive meant to attract/retain staff in a sector, just like a sign-on bonuses.

Thanks on this.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by MJ01: 8:56pm On Jun 12, 2022

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Odedenshi1(m): 8:57pm On Jun 12, 2022
Estroller:

Yea, I can see it now. Once you complete the 3 transactions let me know how you want me to send you your share of the bonus.

It’s alright then.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by fatima04: 9:02pm On Jun 12, 2022
Hi everyone, any good app suggestions for preparing for life in the UK test and any pointers will be appreciated.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by MJ01: 9:08pm On Jun 12, 2022
N
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Bourne007(m): 9:51pm On Jun 12, 2022
https://lifeintheuktests.co.uk/life-in-the-uk-test/

fatima04:
Hi everyone, any good app suggestions for preparing for life in the UK test and any pointers will be appreciated.

11 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kode12: 10:28pm On Jun 12, 2022
Missposh:
On using amex credit card

I used my amex credit card at the beginning of the month, my statement date is in a few days but each time I log in, it says payment not due at this time. When I tried to pay, it say you can only make on this date everyone...something along that line.

Thanks

Just set up direct debit and make sure there's always funds in your account around the time of collection. Saves you the hassle of trying to make timed payments. But if you really want to make payments at your will, wait for the expense to clear and reflect in your balance (not statement) when that appears, you'll be able to pay off any %age of the balance you please.
Make Payments > Pay by Debit Card

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by fatima04: 10:43pm On Jun 12, 2022
Bourne007:
https://lifeintheuktests.co.uk/life-in-the-uk-test/

Thank you

Thank you for your recommendation @bourne007. You saved money from buying the book and CD grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rayralph(m): 12:19am On Jun 13, 2022
MJ01:
Please can anyone suggest link to good deal on a blender/processor that can blend pepper, blend beans and pound yam. Great value, with moderate budget. Thank you in advance

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7912995

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rayralph(m): 12:22am On Jun 13, 2022
rowon:
Good day my people, what is the best for family of five to settle down in Glasgow precisely GCU.2 girls 10 and 12 years and a boy of 16 years , father and mother. Note we don't have anybody there and our resumption his this September. Please kindly advise on how best to go about it Thanks
With your family size, your best bet is to book an Airbnb before coming. Give yourself 1-2 weeks to house hunt & familiarize with the environment.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by JanegirlN: 12:36am On Jun 13, 2022
Is it really a negative?

I just started taking driving lessons and before this I had never driven or learnt how to in naija and I wish I had.

I've had 3 two hour lessons and I've had an earful from my instructor. I don't even know if I'm making progress at all and it's even automatic. I don watch YouTube videos tire.

Omo I don tell hubby say it's not a do or die. If I don't know how to drive nothing spoil, he will continue running errands. Lol

Lexusgs430:

You start from scratch..........

Your Nigerian experience, is not a positive, but a negative......

1 - Obtain a provisional licence
2 - Get a driving instructor
3 - Start revising for your driving theory test
4 - Book your theory driving test (expires in 2 years, if you don't pass your practical driving test)
5 - When you understand the rudimentals of proper driving, awareness, perception etc etc
6 - Book your Driving practical test
7 - Ensure you avoid points within 2 years, or your licence would get revoked

NB : Remember, your vehicle horn is not a musical instrument.......... grin

Not in any particular order, but a guide ........ cool

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 12:43am On Jun 13, 2022
JanegirlN:
Is it really a negative?

I just started taking driving lessons and before this I had never driven or learnt how to in naija and I wish I had.

I've had 3 two hour lessons and I've had an earful from my instructor. I don't even know if I'm making progress at all and it's even automatic. I don watch YouTube videos tire.

Omo I don tell hubby say it's not a do or die. If I don't know how to drive nothing spoil, he will continue running errands. Lol

I never drove in Nigeria, passed my manual driving lessons, after 5 brush up lessons (I had been driving with producer, for over 6 years prior)......... cheesy

Nigerian driving experience, normalises all the negative habits (old habits die hard).......

Your hubby does not to be the family uber driver (if your husband's DL is over 3 years), get a small Toyota Aygo or similar, for home lessons ...........

Do more home lessons and less paid instructor lead lessons ..........
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 12:44am On Jun 13, 2022
Are the rates for mutual funds any good in the UK? If yes, please any recommendations? Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kode12: 12:50am On Jun 13, 2022
rayralph:

With your family size, your best bet is to book an Airbnb before coming. Give yourself 1-2 weeks to house hunt & familiarize with the environment.

More like a month based on current reports

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 4:11am On Jun 13, 2022
lavida001:

What’s the monthly ATM withdrawal to £

Should be £750 daily, not monthly. You can instruct them to increase it.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 6:11am On Jun 13, 2022
JanegirlN:
Is it really a negative?

It's actually not a negative jor. The skill of driving, once learnt doesn't need to be "re-learnt". A Nigerian driver will have to learn the right "rules", etc but the fact the person can drive a car will definitely be an advantage.

I understand Lexus' point but don't agree with it. Since he never drove in Nigeria, he's not a Subject Matter Expert grin

As for your experience, most new drivers (especially ladies) pass through it. You just need to be patient with yourself, you will get it with enough practice. Same applies with most such skills like swimming, riding a bicycle, playing a musical instrument: Patience and Practice.

10 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by babajeje123(m): 8:22am On Jun 13, 2022
To the teachers in the house, wify is a TCRN Mathematics teacher in Nigeria. She wants to continue here and I will so appreciate it if we can get some guide on how to go about it. We live in the North-east of England.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 8:37am On Jun 13, 2022
Solumtoya:

It's actually not a negative jor. The skill of driving, once learnt doesn't need to be "re-learnt". A Nigerian driver will have to learn the right "rules", etc but the fact the person can drive a car will definitely be an advantage.

I understand Lexus' point but don't agree with it. Since he never drove in Nigeria, he's not a Subject Matter Expert grin

As for your experience, most new drivers (especially ladies) pass through it. You just need to be patient with yourself, you will get it with enough practice. Same applies with most such skills like swimming, riding a bicycle, playing a musical instrument: Patience and Practice.

Let's not fight....... The only part that is a positive, is the aspect of coordination........

If using a manual vehicle for your test, when driving down a hill, drop your gearbox from gear to neutral .......... cheesy wink
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by congressman101: 9:49am On Jun 13, 2022
I use LemonadeFinance to send money to Africa. You get GBP 10.0 when you verify your account and send over GBP 100.0 with my referral link - https://referral.lemonade.finance/invite/MrWy2jCogDG2AQYD8
Use my link we split 50/50
ADEK3ENX
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Bourne007(m): 11:15am On Jun 13, 2022
LOL funny guy .. . It's kind of a naija thing to save petrol I heard grin but a fail during practical test

Lexusgs430:

Let's not fight....... The only part that is a positive, is the aspect of coordination........

If using a manual vehicle for your test, when driving down a hill, drop your gearbox from gear to neutral .......... cheesy wink
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Iruosonobrugwhe: 11:36am On Jun 13, 2022
AgentXxx:
If you are on the island, you can visit Legico Air Force base Shop 74 Ahmadu bello way Victoria island or The Art and Craft center of Eko Hotel and Suites Shop 5...

alhaji usman of federal palace!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mimilyrics: 11:48am On Jun 13, 2022
User review: I use this for my pounded yam and it usually tastes amazing. I also use it to chop okra, and make smoothies amongst other things. Got it from Argos and no issues ever since.
rayralph:

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7912995

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mamatukwas: 12:02pm On Jun 13, 2022
JanegirlN:
Is it really a negative?

I've had 3 two hour lessons and I've had an earful from my instructor. I don't even know if I'm making progress at all and it's even automatic. I don watch YouTube grin videos tire.

Consider if your Instructor is really the right fit for you. He/she should be getting you to relax not filling you with anxiety.

I had one trial lesson with an old man that rubbed off me wrong so I decided not to go ahead. I knew I made the right decision when he text me to say I wasted his time because I decided not to go ahead smiley My next instructor was very chill and made it easier to pass.

So if this person is always shouting at you, change them. You’re not paying money to be verbally harassed.

8 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kode12: 1:40pm On Jun 13, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Isn't that what they call coasting?? You want to make some people perennial DVLA customers grin grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mamatukwas: 1:45pm On Jun 13, 2022

(1) (2) (3) ... (468) (469) (470) (471) (472) (473) (474) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.