Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,144 members, 7,821,898 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:14 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (474) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1183322 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (471) (472) (473) (474) (475) (476) (477) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Adazeal: 4:44pm On Jun 14, 2022
giselle237:
https://appointments.immigration.gov.ng/

Thanks. Got it already. Guess the site was malfunctioning yesterday.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 5:19pm On Jun 14, 2022
Sassy256:

And that's the core of driving grin

You can coordinate in two ways ........ grin

- Right coordination
- Wrong coordination
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by gistbite(f): 5:41pm On Jun 14, 2022
kode12:

If you have Tier 2 sponsorship, you can only do 20hrs for another employer in the same occupation code or in another shortage occupation. You're not allowed to just take up a second random job, unfortunately. If you're going to do more than 20hrs you're going to need sponsorship from the second employer
Does indeedflex count as working for another employer?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by BouharryArtikou: 7:01pm On Jun 14, 2022
Advision:

Its medical research in the surrey area bro

Hey bro. Can we connect please?
I’ve Sent you a Nairaland mail.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Sassy256(f): 7:29pm On Jun 14, 2022
Lexusgs430:

- Right coordination
- Wrong coordination
Lol...are you just trying to make urself feel better that you didn't drive in Nigeria? grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Estroller: 7:37pm On Jun 14, 2022
santos247:
Baba, anything for the boys?
BY the way, How do I physical cash to my revolut account?
Revolut doesnt accept direct cash lodgment. What other options can I use? I have some cash but want to do online transactions as I live far from city centre.
Thanks.

Have you completed the 3 transactions? If you have, it is yet to reflect on my end. I'll quote you once it drops.

On your second question, if you have an account with any of the traditional banks, fund it with the cash at your local branch or any post office near you and transfer to your Revolut from the account.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 8:04pm On Jun 14, 2022
Sassy256:

Lol...are you just trying to make urself feel better that you didn't drive in Nigeria? grin

No, just been a mouse ......... cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Sassy256(f): 8:29pm On Jun 14, 2022
Lexusgs430:

No, just been a mouse ......... cheesy
Ok. U succeeded. grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kode12: 8:31pm On Jun 14, 2022
gistbite:

Does indeedflex count as working for another employer?

I've never heard of Indeed flex sorry. But if it's some kind of gig work i.e self-employed, I'm inclined to say the same rules apply. You're just seelf-employed, so you are the second employer. I might be wrong though, someone else might point you to a better guidance as I haven't seen anything specifically covering that area.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kode12: 8:41pm On Jun 14, 2022
Lexusgs430:

- Right coordination
- Wrong coordination

Personally, I don't think the Nigerian driving experience is a disadvantage. The learner just needs to be conscious of those acquired bad habits. Watching a lot of videos on youtube would easily highlight those issues. If you keep your bad traits in mind, while learning and consciously try to correct them, you'd be able to pass quite easily.
Coordination, anticipation, remaining centred, stopping distances on the road etc, those sort of things only come with time spent on the road. The longer you've spent driving, the better you'd normally be at those skills, which would translate to an easier pass here in the UK.....
Unless you were an Ikeja - Sango Ota molue driver in the past grin grin grin, those drivers are irredeemable.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 8:51pm On Jun 14, 2022
erico2k2:

If I was you, I will buy Dollars instead of pound just to be safe.
As someone who foolishly brought dollars into the UK instead of pounds, I would advise anyone to refrain from doing this as the exchange rate from dollars to pounds here in the UK isn’t friendly. You are better off buying pounds in Nigeria. She just has to use a legitimate person to help change the funds and not road side sellers and she’ll be fine.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Yemite1845: 9:41pm On Jun 14, 2022
Anyone in Surrey ??

My wife got a tier 2 sponsorship job ,they requested for two months probation period before they issue COS ,please anyone with information on where to get accommodation within Surrey or any cheaper town to target for easy access to Surrey ??
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 9:50pm On Jun 14, 2022
santos247:
Revolut doesnt accept direct cash lodgment. What other options can I use? I have some cash but want to do online transactions as I live far from city centre.
Thanks.

Think I saw one Indian guy who came to do this at the post office in Jan (I asked)
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bunsuq: 10:42pm On Jun 14, 2022
kode12:

Personally, I don't think the Nigerian driving experience is a disadvantage. The learner just needs to be conscious of those acquired bad habits. Watching a lot of videos on youtube would easily highlight those issues. If you keep your bad traits in mind, while learning and consciously try to correct them, you'd be able to pass quite easily.
Coordination, anticipation, remaining centred, stopping distances on the road etc, those sort of things only come with time spent on the road. The longer you've spent driving, the better you'd normally be at those skills, which would translate to an easier pass here in the UK.....
Unless you were an Ikeja - Sango Ota molue driver in the past grin grin grin, those drivers are irredeemable.
I drive only automatic here in Lagos. Do I have to go learn manual for me to be able to drive well in the UK. Was told most of the cars available for sale and also for driving test are manual.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 10:51pm On Jun 14, 2022
bunsuq:

I drive only automatic here in Lagos. Do I have to go learn manual for me to be able to drive well in the UK. Was told most of the cars available for sale and also for driving test are manual.

False .......

Using an automatic gearbox, would make it easier to pass your test.......

Your instructor, would use an automatic vehicle to conduct your lessons.....

Automatic cars are available for sale ....... cheesy

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bunsuq: 11:12pm On Jun 14, 2022
Lexusgs430:

False .......

Using an automatic gearbox, would make it easier to pass your test.......

Your instructor, would use an automatic vehicle to conduct your lessons.....

Automatic cars are available for sale ....... cheesy
Good to know. Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kaylov12: 11:38pm On Jun 14, 2022
babajeje123:
To the teachers in the house, wify is a TCRN Mathematics teacher in Nigeria. She wants to continue here and I will so appreciate it if we can get some guide on how to go about it. We live in the North-east of England.

She could register with agencies to be a substitute teacher. This is not an easy job as she would go into any school to fill in for an absent teacher. She will cover class for different subjects and year groups.

On the other hand, she could train to teach. There are several training institutes the offer this. Check teachfirst or go on UCAS for a detailed list and register. Training will help acheive knowledge of how the school system works, learn the teaching standards and class control(this is the most important bit).

Better still, check UCAS for SCITT for school direct training.

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kode12: 11:43pm On Jun 14, 2022
bunsuq:

If you pass on a manual you can drive both. If you pass on an auto you can only drive auto. Many people claim auto cars are scarce, more expensive bla bla. I don't think it's much of a big deal but circumstances vary.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by claremont(m): 11:59pm On Jun 14, 2022
erico2k2:

Cos they are not genuine Migrants, they come here to take the Piz [/b]and make life harder for everyone else. Who so ever thought of this Rwanda holding place is a genus I swear down, [b]it just solved one of the biggest problem of the UK. This wont stop the boats from coming thought but it will stop people getting freebees. Millions of ££££££ saved

We are all here as ''economic migrants'', it's only sheer luck that make us different from refugees.

Be that as it may, I'm happy today that the ECHR has intervened at the expense of the UK courts who supported this abhorrent policy. No one is going to be deported to Rwanda. grin

I'm an Atheist, but I specifically welcome the intervention of the Church of England in this matter. If the Queen who is the Head of the Church of England and Prince Charles finds that this policy is ''appalling'' and abhorrent, who are you?

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by babajeje123(m): 12:36am On Jun 15, 2022
kaylov12:

She could register with agencies to be a substitute teacher. This is not an easy job as she would go into any school to fill in for an absent teacher. She will cover class for different subjects and year groups.

On the other hand, she could train to teach. There are several training institutes the offer this. Check teachfirst or go on UCAS for a detailed list and register. Training will help acheive knowledge of how the school system works, learn the teaching standards and class control(this is the most important bit).

Better still, check UCAS for SCITT for school direct training.

Thank you!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by stephoye: 5:07am On Jun 15, 2022
Good morning my people. I worked for an employer who doesn't want to pay my wages. They should have paid since 27th of May. My calls and messages were not responded to. What can I do please?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Osoderi(m): 5:18am On Jun 15, 2022
domin8:

4) You can apply for a British Airways AMEX Credit card, It's pretty straight forward and their approval rate is very high at the moment.

You can use my link http://amex.co.uk/refer/nnAnnW9hPF?XL=MNMNS when applying and we both get bonus avios points.

5) You use https://www.experian.co.uk/ or https://www.equifax.co.uk/ to check for free for a period, but you may have to pay if you want to have continued access.

ok. thank you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 5:23am On Jun 15, 2022
claremont:

We are all here as ''economic migrants'', it's only sheer luck that make us different from refugees.

Be that as it may, I'm happy today that the ECHR has intervened at the expense of the UK courts who supported this abhorrent policy. No one is going to be deported to Rwanda. grin

I'm an Atheist, but I specifically welcome the intervention of the Church of England in this matter. If the Queen who is the Head of the Church of England and Prince Charles finds that this policy is ''appalling'' and abhorrent, who are you?

Who am I? We're all human beings who shit, piss, fart, emit the usual bodily fluids and occasionally [or frequently, as the case may be] shag and whose bodies/ashes will all rot in the ground. Nobody, but nobody's opinion is sacrosanct, everyone's entitled to one.

Firstly, Prince Charles stated his opinion not in any religious capacity, but in relation to his trip to Rwanda representing the Queen as the Head of the Commonwealth. It was some COE bishops who condemned the policy from that angle. But with regard to your statement that you're an atheist, I have to state that I do believe in God, but do not practice religion, as it is all manmade and generally targeted at mind control and not worship, so whatever COE bishops or the Pope or any given pastorpreneur back home in Naija say naturally carries little weight with me, from a religious standpoint.

That said, I don't think Boris actually properly planned this Rwanda thing (of which I would have been in support if carried out), he must have known that the ECJ would step in on the basis of the ECHR to stop it, as the UK and the EU are not friends at the moment, to say the least. It's worth pointing out that the EU itself has previously sent migrants to Rwanda, so there's arrant hypocrisy and sheer politics at work here.

We are all economic migrants, true, but we came lawfully, with the consent of the UK government. Followed the rules, paid the huge monies, etc. We didnt pay tens of thousands of pounds to people smugglers, we paid it to UK universities and/or the Home Office as the rules required.

I have every sympathy for genuine refugees, for one my mother is Igbo, and some of my family here in the UK arrived here during the civil war as refugees, and for another, with the way Naija is going under Buhari's TLC, many people back home, including my friends and family members, might one day find themselves as refugees when it ultimately collapses, but these people coming are not genuine refugees, they have the money to pay for one way smuggler tickets to the UK, passing through parts of Europe in the process, and thus circumventing the "first safe country" principle. They are economic migrants, and should come through a different process, the ones we followed. In response to the argument that some of their countries are not safe places to be in the first place so they cant apply for UK visas from there, they should claim asylum in the first safe country they get to, or last last, France, then apply from there.

The harsh truth is that these people coming unrestrictedly are polarising the immigration debate unnecessarily, and that ultimately affects us who came lawfully as well if things go nasty. Again, in response to the assertion that the UK is not the US and people are more "civilised" here, with the way things are going in this country, extremism, which tends to flare up when economic issues arise and people become or feel poorer, may not be too far off.

In response to the other argument that the UK came to Africa and Asia, robbed, exploited, raped and stole, so is now reaping the fruit of what it sowed in terms of the "We are here because you were there" assertion, again 99% of the time there is no morality in politics, it is all about achieving ends, so come lawfully or try making that argument to some extremist like those in the US who set out deliberately to kill minorities and see how far you get.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 5:31am On Jun 15, 2022
stephoye:
Good morning my people. I worked for an employer who doesn't want to pay my wages. They should have paid since 27th of May. My calls and messages were not responded to. What can I do please?

Find out from your colleagues if they have been paid, then write your employer a formal letter demanding your own pay. In the absence of any response, gather all your evidence and contact a body called ACAS. Beyond that I'm not too sure of the process, as that's the farthest I've seen it taken, but I think if they cant help resolve the matter, you can now get a lawyer and head to an employment tribunal.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jadepinkett(f): 6:30am On Jun 15, 2022
Yemite1845:
Anyone in Surrey ??

My wife got a tier 2 sponsorship job ,they requested for two months probation period before they issue COS ,please anyone with information on where to get accommodation within Surrey or any cheaper town to target for easy access to Surrey ??

Surrey big now. Where in Surrey? You might want to look into proximity to work, to reduce transport cost, unless you are driving.
P.S: Surrey is generally pricey rentwise, unless you are coming from London, then it's the same range

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Alexia20: 6:57am On Jun 15, 2022
Hello family, for those that are have filled a dependant visa application for their spouse and children ,what is the correct answer to this question assuming I have a brother living in uk and I am filling this for myself to join my wife in uk .
Question : Is my brother part of my family in that context, yes or no? ( as brother is not listed among the inclusion marked red in image below)
what about if I am filling the same application for my daughter ,my brother who automatically happen to be her uncle ,is he part of her family in same context ,Yes or no .
Thanks

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by giselle237: 7:05am On Jun 15, 2022
Your brother is your family. fill that in. Same for child
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Alexia20: 7:08am On Jun 15, 2022
giselle237:
Your brother is your family. fill that in. Same for child
Kindly check the list marked red ,
"This includes:
immediate family - such as spouse, civil partner, parents or childrengrandparents or grandchildrenyour spouse or civil partner's familyyour child's spouse, civil partner or partneryour partner, if you have lived with them for 2 out of the last 3 years"

There is nothing like brother here as applicable for me or uncle as applicable for my daughter ,or what do you think?

1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by MichaelUde: 7:15am On Jun 15, 2022
Alexia20:

Kindly check the list marked red ,there is nothing like brother as applicable for me or uncle as applicable for my daughter ,or what do you think?

I think if you select the first option "immediate family", you might get the option to further select "sibling", because siblings are part of the immediate family.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Alexia20: 7:21am On Jun 15, 2022
MichaelUde:

I think if you select the first option "immediate family", you might get the option to further select "sibling", because siblings are part of the immediate family.
That is even the problem, no option to choose siblings or something else after you must have chosen "Yes " to the question ,only option is to state the required relationship as " brother" .
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rayralph(m): 7:21am On Jun 15, 2022
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rayralph(m): 7:24am On Jun 15, 2022
santos247:
Thanks.

Visit your local post office and/or paypoint corner shops

(1) (2) (3) ... (471) (472) (473) (474) (475) (476) (477) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.