Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,401 members, 7,815,875 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:02 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (572) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1177047 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (569) (570) (571) (572) (573) (574) (575) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 9:39am On Aug 18, 2022
teeebest:
Hello Elders, please is there any advantage working for NHS as a band 3 Nursing Assistant?

My Wife works with a care home. She work as many shifts as possible depending on what are strength permits. We are also looking at healthcare sponsorship as she's comfortable with the job and I'm the one studying on tier 4 visa. Now, she got a Job with NHS as a Nursing assistant. She can only work for a 37.5 hrs per week.

When it comes to settlement in this country or career growth, please is it worth it for her to move from the private care home to NHS despite earning less?

NHS Band 3 pay is certainly not peanuts, unless care homes have suddenly started paying what City firms pay?

It's about £22k or so (and set to go up somewhat by a few percentage points after the latest round of strikes/threats of strikes) and single people and people with joint family incomes live comfortably on such pay. Remember that whichever job you get you're most likely going to start climbing the ladder from the lower rungs and these are the pay bands you will be offered.

But you're way more likely to get sponsorship with a care home than with the NHS Band 3 role. On the other hand, virtually no such thing as "career growth" with a care home, they generally sign you up for five years to do the core work of personal care. Thereafter you can do other things, maybe, but in the NHS you'd have jumped by 2 bands in that period.

If she's comfortable with the care home, then nothing wrong with her staying and asking them for sponsorship.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Phayie(m): 10:35am On Aug 18, 2022
Hello, please how can I prove right to work to an agency if I just applied to renew my visa
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 10:41am On Aug 18, 2022
Phayie:
Hello, please how can I prove right to work to an agency if I just applied to renew my visa

Your application reference number.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Phayie(m): 11:04am On Aug 18, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

Your application reference number.

Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by OmichaelO: 12:22pm On Aug 18, 2022
Kindly guys,

When my partner and I got our visas, my wife the main applicant only got supporting document attached to her passport to show to immigration at the point of entry. , while mine didn't come with any. Everyone I've been asking said both came with supporting letters.

Is there anyone here with same issue and is this a major problem? Who can I contact, if it's an issue?

It's urgent please we're leaving in few days
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by teeebest(m): 12:40pm On Aug 18, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

NHS Band 3 pay is certainly not peanuts, unless care homes have suddenly started paying what City firms pay?

It's about £22k or so (and set to go up somewhat by a few percentage points after the latest round of strikes/threats of strikes) and single people and people with joint family incomes live comfortably on such pay. Remember that whichever job you get you're most likely going to start climbing the ladder from the lower rungs and these are the pay bands you will be offered.

But you're way more likely to get sponsorship with a care home than with the NHS Band 3 role. On the other hand, virtually no such thing as "career growth" with a care home, they generally sign you up for five years to do the core work of personal care. Thereafter you can do other things, maybe, but in the NHS you'd have jumped by 2 bands in that period.

If she's comfortable with the care home, then nothing wrong with her staying and asking them for sponsorship.

Straight and clear as always. Thanks Boss.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mintyx(m): 12:52pm On Aug 18, 2022
Jaymarius:
Yes. Airfrance requires transit visa. If you call their call lines, they will tell you a different thing. You can book Nigeria to London and take a coach to wherever. I hope this helps.

Thanks so much. I already booked the Airfrance round trip ticket to Nigeria before I realized I'd need the transit visa.

The worst aspect is that I contacted the embassy and tried getting a transit visa from them but the available appointment dates are from October 20th but my journey is in first week of October.

If I cancel the flight, I will get tax refunds and not the full fare.

I'm trying to see if I can get a Schengen visa from one of the easiest countries to get one but my fear is that the visa may still not be ready till first week of October.

Na real one chance I enter so embarassed
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Newbie123: 1:06pm On Aug 18, 2022
OmichaelO:
Kindly guys,

When my partner and I got our visas, my wife the main applicant only got supporting document attached to her passport to show to immigration at the point of entry. , while mine didn't come with any. Everyone I've been asking said both came with supporting letters.

Is there anyone here with same issue and is this a major problem? Who can I contact, if it's an issue?

Happened to my friend.

Do a paid call. They'll send it to your mail with apologies

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by japro: 1:59pm On Aug 18, 2022
Hello House,

Please this is urgent. I hope to get response from experienced person.

I'd like to know if it's okay to list my employer's office address as the place I'll be staying in the UK on my visa application form because I haven't yet secured an accommodation.

Type of Visa: Skill Worker.

Please advise. Thank you.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by OmichaelO: 2:24pm On Aug 18, 2022
Newbie123:

Happened to my friend.

Do a paid call. They'll send it to your mail with apologies
Thank you do you bro.

Their paid call never goes through.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Owoado(m): 2:34pm On Aug 18, 2022
japro:
Hello House,

I'd like to know if it's okay to list my employer's office address as the place I'll be staying in the UK on my visa application form because I haven't yet secured an accommodation.

From my personal experience, it's totally fine.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Owoado(m): 2:37pm On Aug 18, 2022
OmichaelO:
Thank you do you bro.

Their paid call never goes through.
Why doesn't it go through? What is the challenge when you try to call?

My friend used to call them almost every 2 days with no issues until he got his visa (this was in June 2022).
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by OmichaelO: 2:42pm On Aug 18, 2022
Owoado:
Why doesn't it go through? What is the challenge when you try to call?

My friend used to call them almost every 2 days with no issues until he got his visa (this was in June 2022).
it never connects or am I doing something wrong ?

+ .4 4 3 0 07 90 62 68
And +. 4 4 20 38 754 66 9

Are the numbers I've been calling

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 2:55pm On Aug 18, 2022
japro:
Hello House,

Yes...that's what I used.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Thegamingorca(m): 3:07pm On Aug 18, 2022
OmichaelO:
Kindly guys,

What do you mean by supporting documents tho
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by IcecoldDon: 3:46pm On Aug 18, 2022
Hi, please is there a difference between full time work and permanent job in terms of student visa restrictions? I see both in different places and it is a bit confusing. I ask this because i saw on a website that you can work full time during holidays but not a permanent role.

Also, after submission of dissertation, can one commence a permanent job role immediately since official school is over? or the correct thing as some websites i have seen, say you must wait till course end date shown on the CAS, while others just state after term time which is still not clear or that you can't do a permanent job on the student visa.

Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 4:05pm On Aug 18, 2022
OmichaelO:
Kindly guys,

I think you're fine. I didn't my own letter for anything.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 4:07pm On Aug 18, 2022
Someone said £22k isn't peanuts compared to care? Hmmm... Don't let care guys tell you what they make o!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by OmichaelO: 4:11pm On Aug 18, 2022
Solumtoya:

I think you're fine. I didn't my own letter for anything.
Thank you boss
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by icon8: 5:15pm On Aug 18, 2022
IcecoldDon:
Hi, please is there a difference between full time work and permanent job in terms of student visa restrictions? I see both in different places and it is a bit confusing. I ask this because i saw on a website that you can work full time during holidays but not a permanent role.

Also, after submission of dissertation, can one commence a permanent job role immediately since official school is over? or the correct thing as some websites i have seen, say you must wait till course end date shown on the CAS, while others just state after term time which is still not clear or that you can't do a permanent job on the student visa.

Thanks

Generally, full time employment means you are contracted for full working hours (e.g. 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday). The opposite of this is part time (e.g. 3hours per day, 3 days per week, etc.). This could be either as a temporary worker (temp) or as a permanent employee (perm).

Permanent means that you are employed by the organisation until you sack them (resignation) or they sack you (dismissal). This usually comes with other perks and benefits apart from salary / wages (see below).

Temporary on the other hand means you are hired for a defined period (usually short term, but could be long in some cases), for a specific purpose, but you do not have the full rights and benefits of a permanent employee (e.g. pension, paid annual/sick/maternity/paternity leave, private health insurance, standard notice period, death in service benefit, life assurance, etc.).

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by IcecoldDon: 5:19pm On Aug 18, 2022
Thanks for this. So based on your explanation, can a full time and permanent role be started before end of the course date if all academic requirements are completed ie classes, course works, dissertation etc

quote author=icon8 post=115827603]

Full time means you are contracted for full working hours (e.g. 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday). The opposite of this is part time (e.g. 3hours per day, 3 days per week, etc.). This could be either as a temporary worker (temp) or as a permanent employee (perm).

Permanent means that you are employed by the organisation until you sack them (resign) or they sack you (fire). This usually comes with other perks and benefits (see below). Temporary on the other hand means you are hired for a defined period (usually short term, but could be long in some cases), for a specific purpose, but you do not have the full rights and benefits of a permanent employee (e.g. pension, annual/sick leave, private health insurance, standard notice period, death in service benefit, etc.).[/quote]
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 5:34pm On Aug 18, 2022
Solumtoya:
Someone said £22k isn't peanuts compared to care? Hmmm... Don't let care guys tell you what they make o!
I did not want to talk. 22k is shyte pay (excuse my french), earning 22k and after taxes and pension take out, what is the person left with. Please let’s not settle for peanuts all in the name of Japa. I take God beg una.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by MichaelUde: 6:12pm On Aug 18, 2022
Nigerians and expectations. Nothing wey person no go see for here.
About the NHS pay as opposed to care, first, are those saying its worse comparing like for like? Basically, how much per hour does the average care assistant earn as compared to the hourly pay rate for an NHS Band 3? In other words, make una no dey compare person wey dey work 80 hours a week in care to someone working 37.5 hours a week in the NHS on band 3. Of course, someone working 37.5 hours a week fit still work more hours, after all many nurses also work for agencies on weekends, etc.

Secondly, I no understand how people go feel say person wey dey start in an unskilled role (which na wetin carers and nursing auxiliaries be o despite all the fancy fancy titles) go suppose collect CEO pay overnight. Like most people, I definitely think that pay should go up given current inflation and the cost of living crisis, etc. but the reality is that applying foam and pads is generally not a wonderfully-paid job except where person dey work plenty hours. So wetin una wan make fresh comers do? Go and quickly take all the 50k and above jobs wey just dey wait for those who apply, abi?

Lastly, all those saying 22k na small money should tell us how much they expect to earn in that kind job in Naija. And yes, people here dey live on those pay levels. Make una understand that if you dey civil service on level 2, the pay is tailored for a school leaver aged maybe 18, early 20s and not a married man with 3 children in his 40s. The UK is certainly no paradise, but una come here because Naija no dey work for una (make we leave aside all the high sounding stuff people were yakking some weeks back about how Naija take dey better, and them just come UK to look around).

Bottom line, if person wan make better money for here, go and skill yourself in the fields in demand, then come collect the money. Aspiration is good, aspiring to be something better is a noble goal, na why people like me come here - to give my children opportunities wey I know dem no go see in Nigeria where playing field no level at all. Otherwise, make una try manage una expectations wella.

Make I leave una first go attend to one small matter. My oga just dey do one kind today, and me fit vex, leave the work and go back to Naija to see if I fit do special adviser for Soludo small, after all better work no dey UK.

11 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by June232022: 6:20pm On Aug 18, 2022
hi guys is there a way to send money from nigeria to the uk
Some of us still have funds in our account and still earn from nigeria
how do we send this funds here
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by icon8: 6:22pm On Aug 18, 2022
MichaelUde:
About the NHS pay as opposed to care, first, are those saying its worse comparing like for like? Basically, how much per hour does the average care assistant earn as compared to the hourly pay rate for an NHS Band 3? In other words, make una no dey compare person wey dey work 80 hours a week in care to someone working 37.5 hours a week in the NHS on band 3. Of course, someone working 37.5 hours a week fit still work more hours, after all many nurses also work for agencies on weekends, etc.

Secondly, I no understand how people go feel say person wey dey start in an unskilled role (which na wetin carers and nursing auxiliaries be o despite all the fancy fancy titles) go suppose collect CEO pay overnight. Like most people, I definitely think that pay should go up given current inflation and the cost of living crisis, etc. but the reality is that applying foam and pads is generally not a wonderfully-paid job except where person dey work plenty hours. So wetin una wan make fresh comers do? Go take the 50k and above jobs wey just dey wait for those who apply, abi?

Lastly, all those saying 22k na small money should tell us how much they expect to earn in that kind job in Naija. And yes, people here dey live on those pay levels. Make una understand that if you dey civil service on level 2, the pay is tailored for a school leaver aged maybe 18, early 20s and not a married man with 3 children in his 40s. The UK is certainly no paradise, but una come here because Naija no dey work for una (make we leave aside all the high sounding stuff people were yakking some weeks back about how Naija take dey better, and them just come UK to look around).

Bottom line, if person wan make better money for here, go and skill yourself in the fields in demand, then come collect the money. Aspiration is good, aspiring to be something better is a noble goal, na why people like me come here - to give my children opportunities wey I know dem no go see in Nigeria where playing field no level at all. Otherwise, make una try manage una expectations wella.

They will soon come for you. Awon “twenty two thousand pounds sterling na shyte money”.
Everyone na big man or madam on the internet nah. I dey laugh o

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 7:01pm On Aug 18, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

No offence, £22k is peanuts compared to a Carer's income or any casual job really. Care homes may not pay "what City firms pay" but certainly way more than 22k. £22k is roughly £360 per week or less when they deduc pension. Many of these casual jobs pay a lot more now o. Like he said, they work many hours and rake in close to £1k weekly, sometimes even more.

I totally agree with all your other points, just wanted to correct your first line. I am definitely not looking down on NHS, but neither am I on Care homes.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 7:19pm On Aug 18, 2022
Solumtoya:

No offence, £22k is peanuts compared to a Carer's income or any casual job really. Care homes may not pay "what City firms pay" but certainly way more than 22k. £22k is roughly £360 per week or less when they deduc pension. Many of these casual jobs pay a lot more now o. Like he said, they work many hours and rake in close to £1k weekly, sometimes even more.

I totally agree with all your other points, just wanted to correct your first line. I am definitely not looking down on NHS, but neither am I on Care homes.

No offence taken at all. You obviously did not understand what I wrote.

I did assume it was a given that anyone would compare pay in terms of base pay/hour, and I am most surprised that you (or indeed anyone) would assume that:

a) 37.5 hours at maybe 12.50 per hour was the same thing as my oga's Mike's comparator up there of maybe 80 hours a week at 11- 13 pounds per hour, and

b) a person whose full-time hours are 37.5 weekly is stuck and cannot work anymore hours than that (for instance my not-too-long-arrived cousin is an NHS nurse and I am aware that she earns a full-time salary and also works on their Staff Bank and I think with an agency too).

I am surprised.

But to be honest, I shouldn't be.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 7:20pm On Aug 18, 2022
MichaelUde:

Secondly, I no understand how people go feel say person wey dey start in an unskilled role (which na wetin carers and nursing auxiliaries be o despite all the fancy fancy titles) go suppose collect CEO pay overnight. Like most people, I definitely think that pay should go up given current inflation and the cost of living crisis, etc. but the reality is that applying foam and pads is generally not a wonderfully-paid job except where person dey work plenty hours. So wetin una wan make fresh comers do? Go and quickly take all the 50k and above jobs wey just dey wait for those who apply, abi?

Make I leave una first go attend to one small matter. My oga just dey do one kind today, and me fit vex, leave the work and go back to Naija to see if I fit do special adviser for Soludo small, after all better work no dey UK.

Nwoke m,
I nwekwa efe.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 7:53pm On Aug 18, 2022
Amarathripple0:

I did not want to talk. 22k is shyte pay (excuse my french), earning 22k and after taxes and pension take out, what is the person left with. Please let’s not settle for peanuts all in the name of Japa. I take God beg una.
It's not called settling for peanuts, it's called starting from somewhere.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 8:20pm On Aug 18, 2022
You guys have totally deviated from the premise the OP was talking about and how we got to "Band 3 pay of £22k is certainly not peanuts, unless care homes have suddenly started paying what City firms pay?" but it's fine.

I'm sure I've made my point sha. I will just add that If you're a student and have a spouse working to keep the family afloat, the spouse sha has to be calculative and smart about decisions.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Odenigbo25(m): 8:49pm On Aug 18, 2022
Viruses:

It's not called settling for peanuts, it's called starting from somewhere.

Peanut peanut everywhere � make una no make hunger Catch me ooo �

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (569) (570) (571) (572) (573) (574) (575) ... (1007)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.