Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,703 members, 7,831,194 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 03:21 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (575) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1193732 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (572) (573) (574) (575) (576) (577) (578) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by iboboyswag(m): 3:43pm On Aug 19, 2022
Viruses:
The news making the rounds on social media now is about the mummified bodies found in a ritualist den in Benin city early this week, you need to see that video...human beings were dried and stacked whole like kpanla fish, some never even dry finish.

Those are the outcome of get rich quick syndrome, yet we condemn the earnings of legitimate hussle.

Oga stop shifting the discuss and making insinuations that do not exist. No one has condemned people making legitimate effort, nor ask them to employ dubious means to achieve a better bargain.

What is being said is that they can do better. If they choose to take that information and apply it wrongly, it is on them.

What Amara has tried to say is that they can get better offers. Yes even with just their Nigerian experiences. With a Nigerian experience people are getting jobs above that rate. You just have to work you CV well and be ready for some trade offs.

That you are 40 with a banking experience that many may consider useless here, doesn't mean you can't be innovative with you job search.

Remind yourself daily that 22k is shyte money and let that be a motivation to think up ways of getting out of that dimunitive cycle.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by MadeMen4Life: 3:53pm On Aug 19, 2022
smileyI can’t even fathom the correlation between Amara post and Benin Bodies… If they feel like 22K is big enough for them to be happy, so be it.

I don’t even know where savings or investment can be realized from that money, when other bills are there to be paid…

Person talk say make una aim high, u dey talk about Benin bodies…
iboboyswag:

Oga stop shifting the discuss and making insinuations that do not exist. No one has condemned people making legitimate effort, nor ask them to employ dubious means to achieve a better bargain.

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by congressman101: 4:19pm On Aug 19, 2022
Please any info on the firestick to watch AfricaMagic & EPL?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by iboboyswag(m): 4:19pm On Aug 19, 2022
Lexusgs430:

If the person is living rent & expenses free nko ......... wink

grin grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by iboboyswag(m): 4:21pm On Aug 19, 2022
MadeMen4Life:
smileyI can’t even fathom the correlation between Amara post and Benin Bodies… If they feel like 22K is big enough for them to be happy, so be it.

I don’t even know where savings or investment can be realized from that money, when other bills are there to be paid…

I fear sef. I no just come understand wetin consign agbero with overload.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bazoodo: 4:34pm On Aug 19, 2022
Yemsot:
@kaylov12

I will advise anyone coming for PGCE to have enough money for rent throughout the session and ensure that you pay the full amount of the school fees as the course is mentally and physically tasking. You won't have the opportunity for part time job until summer, unless that person is a superman.
hope you got the job now
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dupyshoo: 4:41pm On Aug 19, 2022
Please what amount can we now classify as "not shyte" money?

While some people will be fortunate to get a high paying job immediately some people will struggle and it is not because they are not trying. So, let's be careful with our words so not to get some people depressed!!

I was stuck in a low paying job for years because the company was sponsoring my visa. I applied to hundreds of jobs but none wanted to sponsor me. I was really miserable but there was nothing I could do about it. After I got my ILR, the story changed. All the people that had gone ahead of me I overtook. So slow and steady sometimes win the race.

iboboyswag:

But seriously 22k pounds is shyte money. Just about 1500 a month.

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 4:48pm On Aug 19, 2022
dupyshoo:

While some people will be fortunate to get a high paying job immediately some people will struggle and it is not because they are not trying. So, let's be careful with our words so not to get some people depressed!!

I was stuck in a low paying job for years because the company was sponsoring my visa. I applied to hundreds of jobs but none wanted to sponsor me. I was really miserable but there was nothing I could do about it. After I got my ILR, the story changed. All the people that had gone ahead of me I overtook. So slow and steady sometimes win the race.

Tortoise and hare tale, I earlier expressed......... cheesy

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 4:51pm On Aug 19, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Tortoise and hare tale, I earlier expressed......... cheesy
Oga Lexus but you know say life no be Nollywood sha smiley
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 4:54pm On Aug 19, 2022
Amarathripple0:

Oga Lexus but you know say life no be Nollywood sha smiley

Everyone's life is a drama....... You decide the actors, twists and turns....... wink

At the end, To God be the glory......... Dust to Dust..... cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Regex: 5:09pm On Aug 19, 2022
Who used the new ukvi ID app to change their visa status, from student to the skilled worker visa, did you receive your BRP upon successful application, if you did, how long did it take? If not, how can one travel put of UK and back without a physical proof?

Justwise, and anyone with experience.

Lexusgs430
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by iboboyswag(m): 5:50pm On Aug 19, 2022
dupyshoo:

Thank you for this. Like I have said before, the decision is the persons to make and there are trade offs.

Like in your case, shyte money for stability and long term goals. Others can be good money for vibes and insha Allah, or both.

Whatever happens, the shyte money statement IMHO is to motivate and not to bring down.

My own is, remind yourself daily that you can do better and work at it. You are not there yet don't mean you can't get there nor should it encourage complacency.

You turned out right in the end because you knew what your bargains were. It is the same thing in this case. Let them know what is good and if they are settling for less, it should be for significant value.

Sponsorship or job security for low wage or the flip.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by iboboyswag(m): 5:56pm On Aug 19, 2022
The big ish here is that human nature is very funny.

It starts with one bad job to keep body and soul. Then one year rolls by, then two. But because body and soul is being taken care of, you tend to not make the most effort.

There is serious motivation in lack. And subtle satisfaction is a killer of dreams.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Sellany: 6:23pm On Aug 19, 2022
Hello all,
So I just got my statement of comparability from UK NARIC and it states that my Bsc from Unilag does not have honours comparable with the UK honours. The school has declined my offer to study at MSC levels and advice I go for BSc.
Has anyone been in this situation.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Davidonkonsults: 6:23pm On Aug 19, 2022
Amarathripple0:

You are so right but permit me to drop this last one. No vex grin

Tech bro go dey work remotely with laptop, them go say na Yahoo plus.
Smh.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Davidonkonsults: 6:27pm On Aug 19, 2022
MadeMen4Life:

He didn't tell them to aim high. He told them they earn shyte and started forming motivational speaker later.

Whatever the intentions, tone and word choice matter.

12 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Goke7: 6:47pm On Aug 19, 2022
dupyshoo:

I love stories like this and I hope people learn from this. Sometimes the way we compare ourselves to others is just unecessary. Individuals are unique and experiences will differ. Thanks for sharing

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Goke7: 6:58pm On Aug 19, 2022
Amarathripple0:

Honestly, your somewhere can be from 40k, it doesn’t have to be lower than that. However, this is industry dependent as some industries don’t pay a lot. Also, this has nothing to do with classism because I never mentioned this. it’s just setting a standard for yourself and it’s also a personal preference so to each their own really. If my standards appear to be unrealistic or offends anyone then that’s their problem not mine.

Let's be a bit realistic, except you get a high skilled job directly from outside the UK, it's almost impossible to even get a 40k job in few months after arriving as most high paying jobs may require security clearance that requires at least six months residence in the uk. I agree we shouldn't put too much pressure on folks who are just coming in as it may be counter productive. Rather we should encourage people to work their way up to that high paying level.

Am a stickler for the slow and steady rise in the uk system. I've seen those who even rigged their cvs to get these high paying jobs and they fail to deliver on the job and some got sacked to go back to square 1.

The good thing about the UK system is that it rewards your experience and consistency in the long run. Let's take it easy guys.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by seunoj: 7:05pm On Aug 19, 2022
dupyshoo:

Papers first.
Everyman get him own journey.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 7:16pm On Aug 19, 2022
Goke7:

Let's be a bit realistic, except you get a high skilled job directly from outside the UK, it's almost impossible to even get a 40k job in few months after arriving as most high paying jobs may require security clearance that requires at least six months residence in the uk. I agree we shouldn't put too much pressure on folks who are just coming in as it may be counter productive. Rather we should encourage people to work their way up to that high paying level.

Am a stickler for the slow and steady rise in the uk system. I've seen those who even rigged their cvs to get these high paying jobs and they fail to deliver on the job and some got sacked to go back to square 1.

The good thing about the UK system is that it rewards your experience and consistency in the long run. Let's take it easy guys.
Let everyone do what works for them. Our realities, goals and aspirations are all different. You see near impossible, I see possibilities. 22k oh, 40k oh, 120k oh. May we all achieve what we came here to achieve, be it peace of mind, security or levelling up.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mizGene(f): 8:36pm On Aug 19, 2022
mintyx:

I just checked again at the London center and available dates are from 31 October or is it my network that is causing this?

How did you see the September abeg?

I called them to enquire about Saturdays but they said it's for certain types of visa of which my visa category is not among

Hmm ok, I applied for "longterm visitor". yesterday I tried changing my date, there were many available slots from around 7th Sept. If I were you, if you are travelling solo, it is worth applying for a visit visa which you can then use later.
It won't cost much to do this, you can make a new application tonight. get on booking.com and get a free cancellation accommodation, buy your travel insurance online, gather other supporting docs which they will list for you and you are good to go.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Phelixblaq(m): 8:50pm On Aug 19, 2022
Sellany:
Hello all,
So I just got my statement of comparability from UK NARIC and it states that my Bsc from Unilag does not have honours comparable with the UK honours. The school has declined my offer to study at MSC levels and advice I go for BSc.
Has anyone been in this situation.

How is this possible
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by wonlasewonimi: 9:52pm On Aug 19, 2022
dupyshoo:

Seriously I wouldn't say 22k is shyte money. People's circumstances are different. When I was a kitchen porter years back, if I was being paid 22k, I would have my shoulders up like a rugby player.

Nowadays, all these things don't mean much to me. I quoted dupyshoo cos I believe we are in the same line and she can bear me witness. The typical day rate is about 600 and then you realise its just money. If you are even lucky and you work remotely you could add another making £1200 a day.
What I am trying to say is that I will never say to someone earning even minimum wage that they are on shyte pay cos our paths are not the same and not everyone will be in tech.

Just my 2 cents.

13 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dupyshoo: 10:08pm On Aug 19, 2022
Na so o. I even know someone that is combining 2 contract jobs of about £600 per day with a permanent role.

The truth is that we that we were earning "shyte money" 5 years ago can now earn 1k per day. So do not despise the days of shyte money.

wonlasewonimi:

Seriously I wouldn't say 22k is shyte money. People's circumstances are different. When I was a kitchen porter years back, if I was being paid 22k, I would have my shoulders up like a rugby player.

Nowadays, all these things don't mean much to me. I quoted dupyshoo cos I believe we are in the same line and she can bear me witness. The typical day rate is about 600 and then you realise its just money. If you are even lucky and you work remotely you could add another making £1200 a day.
What I am trying to say is that I will never say to someone earning even minimum wage that they are on shyte pay cos our paths are not the same and not everyone will be in tech.

Just my 2 cents.

11 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by wonlasewonimi: 10:19pm On Aug 19, 2022
dupyshoo:
Na so o. I even know someone that is combining 2 contract jobs of about £600 per day with a permanent role.

The truth is that we that we were earning "shyte money" 5 years ago can now earn 1k per day. So do not despise the days of shyte money.

Exactly, I even left a contract that was paying me a lot after 3 months cos I needed my mental health intact. The client wanted to add more I said it's not about money. So, these days I have been touring europe after every few weeks of work. This life is for living! One must always be content with whatever one earn.

11 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dupyshoo: 10:25pm On Aug 19, 2022
The bolded is the key!!! While one should be ambitious, there is also the place of contentment.
wonlasewonimi:

Exactly, I even left a contract that was paying me a lot after 3 months cos I needed my mental health intact. The client wanted to add more I said it's not about money. So, these days I have been touring europe after every few weeks of work. This life is for living! One must always be content with whatever one earn.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ticha: 10:28pm On Aug 19, 2022
Goke7:

I have almost 20 years teaching experience from 3 countries. The maximum I would ever earn in the UK unless I become a school head, is about £37k. If I moved to a private school, I'd earn max 10k more for a much more greater responsibility. And a school head/ principal salary often caps out at around 60/70k as well. My starting salary was £18,300 so in 20 years even with increasing wages, this is where I top out.
There are certain sectors that pay extremely well. Majority do not. It's just what it is. It's also why the average UK wage is under £40k.

I do understand what Amara means. The fact that I'd never earn more than £37k doesn't mean that's all I have to earn or rely on.

14 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 7:36am On Aug 20, 2022
Regex:

Did you read you should take or tamper with the money after visa application? Oga follow instructions.

When the real owner of the money, wants it nko ........ grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Regex: 7:53am On Aug 20, 2022
Lexusgs430:

When the real owner of the money, wants it nko ........ grin

grin grin

Pele....

grin grin

Try answer me where I quote you abeg.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 7:56am On Aug 20, 2022
Regex:

grin grin

Pele....

grin grin

Try answer me where I quote you abeg.

Biko, kindly requote.......

(1) (2) (3) ... (572) (573) (574) (575) (576) (577) (578) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.