Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,469 members, 7,816,110 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:08 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (625) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1177328 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (622) (623) (624) (625) (626) (627) (628) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Akorkor(f): 2:19pm On Sep 23, 2022
@munamoqel, I don’t know the issue you have with people abroad but if I want to brag I should. I am 102% certain that I am more comfortable than you while living in Nigeria and I can also say I am of the average comfortable Nigeria living in Nigeria so to just be downplaying people achievements is a No no. That some people have mortgage here in the Uk doesn’t mean that they don’t have houses in Nigeria . So rest with your bad belle.

10 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 2:25pm On Sep 23, 2022
Thegamingorca:
Please I will be arriving Heathrow on Wednesday. Can anyone please advice how to convert dollars to a prepaid card at the airport, with which one can atleast pay for public transportation and feeding before getting to my final destination in Manchester.

Or what do you guys advise?

I know I will need a place of residence before I can open bank account and get a bank card. But how do I survive the first few days without a bank card

Best to hold £££ cash instead. Yes, you can use any decent USD Card also like Zenith, UBA, Access for almost all transactions here. Just don't bring $$$ cash. Once you get your BRP within days of arrival, you can open a Revolut or Monzo or Starling account easily and you can deposit up to £1,000 or so in Monzo.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Akorkor(f): 2:28pm On Sep 23, 2022
Munamoqel:
dem.drag me.name enter the thread to info me that they borrow house after 6 months of been in the uk ! So I respond that we paid for our own houses in Najia worth over 100,000 pounds .

If you know how much total of deposit I paid for that house in cash, I bet your lineage has never seen or touch that type of money before. Oga rest before I change it for you. You started by quoting me on your stupid thread when you have been rejected by all the countries and you are dragging people down with you.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Akorkor(f): 2:30pm On Sep 23, 2022
Ayowolebami:

Comparing how a corrupt third world country functions to a first world does already say it all but still, downplaying others achievement just to make yourself feel good is a sign of envy unless you're extremely ignorant and unwilling to learn.

Btw, I hope you steady have that 60-70m to build and sell steady as an average Nigerian.

Can he even buy house in lekki, I bet he’s leaving in mowe.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ednut1(m): 2:37pm On Sep 23, 2022
Akorkor:
@munamoqel, I don’t know the issue you have with people abroad but if I want to brag I should. I am 102% certain that I am more comfortable than you while living in Nigeria and I can also say I am of the average comfortable Nigeria living in Nigeria so to just be downplaying people achievements is a No no. That some people have mortgage here in the Uk doesn’t mean that they don’t have houses in Nigeria . So rest with your bad belle.
ignore him, he is a frustrated troll

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Thegamingorca(m): 3:05pm On Sep 23, 2022
Solumtoya:

Best to hold £££ cash instead. Yes, you can use any decent USD Card also like Zenith, UBA, Access for almost all transactions here. Just don't bring $$$ cash. Once you get your BRP within days of arrival, you can open a Revolut or Monzo or Starling account easily and you can deposit up to £1,000 or so in Monzo.

Hmmmm how person wan take get hold of legit pounds sterling for this town boss.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Thegamingorca(m): 3:10pm On Sep 23, 2022
Solumtoya:

Why is it not a good idea to bring dollars tho? Do exchangers over there have issue with dollars ?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mimilyrics: 3:16pm On Sep 23, 2022
Unfavorable rates compared to Naija.
Thegamingorca:

Why is it not a good idea to bring dollars tho? Do exchangers over there have issue with dollars ?

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mimilyrics: 3:56pm On Sep 23, 2022
Bank Admin Roles Band 3 & 4 - Royal Brompton & Harefield Hospital Band 3 and Band 4. Site: Royal Brompton Hospital, London. Salary: £11.31 - £11.77 per hour
https://www.healthjobsuk.com/job/v4607927?ref=JobsByEmail&locale=en-gb
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 4:57pm On Sep 23, 2022
Thegamingorca:

Ask any reputable BDC person. If you can get hold of $, why not £?
Just dont collect paper notes.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by wallg123: 4:58pm On Sep 23, 2022
I’ve got a friend starting at Westminster university 8th of October. He is in need of accommodation. Anybody renting a spare room around London axis.
Na today the guy dey tell me hence the urgency. Any suggestions is welcomed biko
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Thegamingorca(m): 5:16pm On Sep 23, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

Ask any reputable BDC person. If you can get hold of $, why not £?
Just dont collect paper notes.

But I don't have a UK bank account nor a dollar card that can be topped up by the BDC. My bank wanted to exchange 1100 bucks for 970 pound sterling cash an hour ago(30 sterlings short). Please how do you advice I go about it now
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Munamoqel: 5:21pm On Sep 23, 2022
I beg mu una no vex na play I dey play !
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Madeu(m): 5:22pm On Sep 23, 2022
Thegamingorca:
Please I will be arriving Heathrow on Wednesday. Can anyone please advice how to convert dollars to a prepaid card at the airport, with which one can atleast pay for public transportation and feeding before getting to my final destination in Manchester.

Or what do you guys advise?

I know I will need a place of residence before I can open bank account and get a bank card. But how do I survive the first few days without a bank card
Since you already have a visa, u can open a revolut bank account. Just use your school or place of work as the address.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by tolajay: 5:23pm On Sep 23, 2022
Sounds good. Thanks for the insight. Seems new license carriers/immigrants/singles would have to pay more for insurance as nobody trust them. Na wah oooooo.

Amarathripple0:

£99.04 for a Monthly comprehensive cover. I used my provisional license though to get this rate, not my Nigerian license. I Also ensured that I got a good insurance rate by using the plate number to compare various rates before paying for the car.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Thegamingorca(m): 5:40pm On Sep 23, 2022
Madeu:

Since you already have a visa, u can open a revolut bank account. Just use your school or place of work as the address.

It's asking for a UK number to sign up tho
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by cmecproblem(m): 6:06pm On Sep 23, 2022
Amarathripple0:

I used this site below. Just type in the plate number and it’ll bring up the vehicle, select it, fill in your details and it’ll show several quotes to choose from - https://www.moneysupermarket.com/car-insurance/
Thank you

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 6:35pm On Sep 23, 2022
Came across this this evening. Just in case if handy to anyone.
For the OP: This is outside London axis.
wallg123:
I’ve got a friend starting at Westminster university 8th of October. He is in need of accommodation. Anybody renting a spare room around London axis.
Na today the guy dey tell me hence the urgency. Any suggestions is welcomed biko

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 6:50pm On Sep 23, 2022
Madeu:

He/she can't, without BRP. I'm not sure what the person wants to hear. Everyone has advised to come in with GBP Cash, simple.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Alkidam(m): 7:15pm On Sep 23, 2022
I actually don't the category you are talking about but I submitted my application online a week before my biometric and I got a successfulapplication mail the following day of my biometric. N.b I did the normal priority.
enibeb2001:
Hello Everyone,

Did anyone recently switch from Tier 4 to Tier 2 (not HCW) using the standard application timeline within the UK, please how long did it take to get the decision mail from when application was made online?

Gov.uk site says 8weeks but ours is now almost 11weeks and nothing yet from Home Office.

Is there a way to track it or what can be done?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 7:15pm On Sep 23, 2022
ednut1:
ignore him, he is a frustrated troll

Yea i saw those posts then decided not to waste my time with him anymore.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Manwarrior55: 7:33pm On Sep 23, 2022

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AKALAMAGBO: 7:53pm On Sep 23, 2022
You be mum*u… You dey use sensitive matter play like dis? A f00l @ forty is a f00l forever… Person do great thing you dey show your bitter mind here. If life is very difficult for you, seek help or visit a therapist…
Munamoqel:
I beg mu una no vex na play I dey play !
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by lightnlife: 8:25pm On Sep 23, 2022
Interesting insight.

Got the list of cars below under group 3, but I don't fancy manual tranny.

What do you advise?

Cc Lexusgs430

[quote author=HondaLover post=116891794][/quote]

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by igbsam(m): 8:34pm On Sep 23, 2022
Munamoqel:
heard the UK just entered recession ! holding jobs for pay mortgage and tax go.hard Pooh I wish una well

Omo, this your bad belle is on another level o. I fear who no fear you o. Why can't you just be happy for someone's success? Why are u trying to pull down the little effort people are making to get a better life for themselves and their kids. Nobody hold you make you no enjoy your own life the way you deem it fit. You own a house in naija, you drive venza car, you do this, you do that. I don't see anyone here dragging you or pulling you down for these you claimed have done for yourself. Alaye, match brake make you maintain your side and make another person hold their side.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by igbsam(m): 8:36pm On Sep 23, 2022
Thegamingorca:

It's asking for a UK number to sign up tho

You do have a UK phone number. Use that na
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Thegamingorca(m): 8:58pm On Sep 23, 2022
igbsam:

You do have a UK phone number. Use that na

Chief I don't have one oh. I've never been to the kingdom of great Britain and Northern Ireland before
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by lightnlife: 9:13pm On Sep 23, 2022
You can buy from registered bureau de change or regular aboki shop. Ensure it's a shop. No collect paper notes oo.

You can also change it inside the airport in Nigeria. Just walk around and you'll see exchange kiosks within the airport.

Thegamingorca:

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Thegamingorca(m): 9:21pm On Sep 23, 2022
lightnlife:
You can buy from registered bureau de change or regular aboki shop. Ensure it's a shop. No collect paper notes oo.

You can also change it inside the airport in Nigeria. Just walk around and you'll see exchange kiosks within the airport.

Nah to collect polymer notes then. Nah to enter MMIA dey find rates. Did you source for the pounds in Lagos?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 10:11pm On Sep 23, 2022
lightnlife:
Interesting insight.

Got the list of cars below under group 3, but I don't fancy manual tranny.

What do you advise?

Cc Lexusgs430

Citroen C1 & Aygo, are the same car, just a different badge.......

Either in Automatic, would serve you nicely...... Building up your no claims bonus.....

(1) (2) (3) ... (622) (623) (624) (625) (626) (627) (628) ... (1007)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.