Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,641 members, 7,823,820 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:01 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (637) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1185222 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (634) (635) (636) (637) (638) (639) (640) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 3:28pm On Oct 02, 2022
bigtt76:
Not straightforward and requires you to be exceptionally talented with strong recommendations from top people in the industry for you to make a headway. I'd advise you go for skilled worker or scale up visa or better still a startup visa

Lol sis, anyone with a good application can get an endorsement for a global talent visa. There’s a whole list of categories, exceptional talent doesn’t mean I have to have created something unimaginable. It’s just being skilled at what you do be it in Architecture, Technology, Grafix Design/Animation, Media etc. Also "top people" can be anyone in the field of interest; For example, someone that owns a start-up that has scaled, someone that owns a company that is profitable, a Professor or someone that heads a department in a company. It doesn’t have to be from someone like Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala. It’s not rocket science so no dey discourage people abeg oh.

Disclaimer: This is a light response, I’m not angry or fighting anyone oh smiley

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 3:43pm On Oct 02, 2022
semmyk:
Global Talent, in a way, is a spin off Tier 1, the part that was covered by the defunct HSMP (which I had b4 collapse). Global Talent now covers more ground. In a way, it bridges the gap between the (difficult to scale) Tier 1 and the old HSMP.
Yes, Global Talent isn't 'straightforward' on face value: however, it's explicit. Yes, Global Talent is geared towards exceptional talents, or niched and high impactful skills. The key is getting #endorsement!
Global Talent is spread across different areas. Two are of interest.
The digital technology route: www.gov.uk/global-talent-digital-technology/eligibility
and the researcher/academic route: www.gov.uk/global-talent-researcher-academic

The digital technology route might appeal to most, especially to those asking on this forum.
Two broad sub-route are getting endorsement based on one's skills set (exceptional or promising) and/or based on enterprising idea through a UK accelerator programme?

The researcher route would appeal to those that are research 'active'. Although a PhD is expected, it is not an absolute bar. IMHO, even if with a Master, one might scale through: your publications and research outputs count. The researcher route has about four sub-routes. The two I consider straightforward are
- Receiving a research fund (NB: this is from a UK listed research agency and not just the ones you get for doctorate research)
- get a (qualifying) research job

[Start-up] www.gov.uk/start-up-visa
This is for 2 years and does not qualify for settlement. However, upon setting up a biz, one can switch to innovator route and start countdown to ILR.

You are absolutely correct. However, it cuts beyond the tech and researcher route. There’s the media route, the architecture route, the graphics design route, the entertainment route as well. With the Global Talent Visa, getting an endorsement and notifying UKVI pre application of an endorsement guarantees that one actually gets the visa. It’s a very detailed process and an application for endorsement is highly scrutinised but it’s not a hard thing to get and one can always appeal by reapplying if you fail the first time. The list of requirement gives one many options to pull from. I usually apply for things myself as I can be very detailed with applications. However with this one, o boy, I’ve had to speak to a consultant because I don’t want stories.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 3:48pm On Oct 02, 2022
To a large extent, Amarathripple0 is on point regarding the Global Talent, just the 'anyone'.
Moreover, Global Talent is not as restrictive as it appears, especially as it's portrayed to be.
There is a thread looking at the US EB permit for talented persons (also on the Travel section)

Thanks, Amarathripple0. Indeed, as is customary on this forum, ain't no 'fighting'. You need not stress. We pass knowledge and move on. How people receive it, it's left. We all must just ensure we do our utmost best with correct, factual, relevant, practical knowledgeable posts.

I tried summarising on last page (and expatiating earlier post some weeks past)
semmyk:
The digital technology route: www.gov.uk/global-talent-digital-technology/eligibility
and the researcher/academic route: www.gov.uk/global-talent-researcher-academic
All the best everyone
Amarathripple0:
Lol sis, anyone with a good application can get an endorsement for a global talent visa. There’s a whole list of categories, exceptional talent doesn’t mean I have to have created something unimaginable. It’s just being skilled at what you do be it in Architecture, Technology, Grafix Design/Animation, Media etc. Also "top people" can be anyone in the field of interest; For example, someone that owns a start-up that has scaled, someone’s that owns a company that is profitable, a Professor or someone that heads a department in a company. It doesn’t have to be from someone like Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala. It’s not rocket science so no dey discourage people abeg oh.

Disclaimer: This is a light response, I’m not angry or fighting anyone oh smiley

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 3:55pm On Oct 02, 2022
Yep. Global Talent goes beyonds researcher and narrowed view of digital tech.
Interestingly for us researchers, we are interrogating the term 'digital technology'!
semmyk:
... ...
... ...
Amarathripple0:
You are absolutely correct. However, it cuts beyond the tech and researcher route. There’s the media route, the architecture route, the graphics design route, the entertainment route as well. With the Global Talent Visa, getting an endorsement and notifying UKVI pre application of an endorsement guarantees that one actually gets the visa. It’s a very detailed process and an application for endorsement is highly scrutinised but it’s not a hard thing to get and one can always appeal by reapplying if you fail the first time. The list of requirement gives one many options to pull from. I usually apply for things myself as I can be very detailed with applications. However with this one, o boy, I’ve had to speak to a consultant because I don’t want stories.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 3:57pm On Oct 02, 2022
All the best. You'll sure pull through. We standing by for your success.
Amarathripple0:

... I usually apply for things myself as I can be very detailed with applications. However with this one, o boy, I’ve had to speak to a consultant because I don’t want stories.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mizGene(f): 4:09pm On Oct 02, 2022
Amarathripple0:

So they require you have the practical knowledge of it, not necessarily the certification. However, the Scrum Master certification would go a long way. Just learn about all the Artifacts and buzz words of Agile and what they entail. You can also get the free Jira plan to practice with as a lot of tech companies use Jira and Azure DevOps. Also, to streamline your knowledge of Agile and to reduce too many questions during the interview, just tell them that the organisation you worked with tailored the Agile methodology to suit their process and then list a few of the Agile buzz words and how it was tailored. Also if you haven’t worked in Software development, it’s a bit unrealistic for them to expect you to know about core Agile. Finally, at the end of the day, whichever company you join, it’ll take some time to adjust into their process regardless of the methodologies they use on their projects.

Regarding the Global talent Visa, that’s also my target. Because that PSW no be am. Also curious to know if anyone applied and successfully got an endorsement.

Got it, thanks

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 4:23pm On Oct 02, 2022
Travel visa free to UK, work unlimited hours per week, set up company in the UK etc and at the end, he and family can apply to be UK citizens

sokeril:

thank you very much!
please what are these benefits?
he is being reluctant because of his career,considering his legal career is doing good here.
the question he has been asking Is about what is he going to be doing in UK in term of job or profession if he moves there permanently.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 4:25pm On Oct 02, 2022
Yes just anyone WITH a good case of being recognized in his or her field nationally or internationally. Not just your everyday IT professional

semmyk:
To a large extent, Amarathripple0 is on point regarding the Global Talent, just the 'anyone'.
Moreover, Global Talent is not as restrictive as it appears, especially as it's portrayed to be.
There is a thread looking at the US EB permit for talented persons (also on the Travel section)

Thanks, Amarathripple0. Indeed, as is customary on this forum, ain't no 'fighting'. You need not stress. We pass knowledge and move on. How people receive it, it's left. We all must just ensure we do our utmost best with correct, factual, relevant, practical knowledgeable posts.

I tried summarising on last page (and expatiating earlier post some weeks past)

All the best everyone
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 4:28pm On Oct 02, 2022
semmyk:
All the best. You'll sure pull through. We standing by for your success.

Amen! Thank you oh grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mizGene(f): 4:37pm On Oct 02, 2022
bigtt76:
Yes just anyone WITH a good case of being recognized in his or her field nationally or internationally. Not just your everyday IT professional

Do you know her? smiley
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by sokeril: 4:41pm On Oct 02, 2022
bigtt76:
Travel visa free to UK, work unlimited hours per week, set up company in the UK etc and at the end, he and family can apply to be UK citizens

Alright,thank you. Maybe its not that bad then.
Cos he does not want to leave his lawyer work where he is quite comfortable to be doing menial work in UK. Thats his biggest fear.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Resilient97: 4:45pm On Oct 02, 2022
Hello, I'm new in the UK and still trying to find my way around. Is there a way to make payment when you have cash, just like using POS in Nigeria.

Also, where can I get affordable foodstuffs and winter jacket in Aberdeen?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 4:51pm On Oct 02, 2022
bigtt76:

Lol K.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 4:51pm On Oct 02, 2022
mizGene:

Do you know her? smiley
Lol I’m weak grin grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Greathand01: 5:14pm On Oct 02, 2022
Please I need house in Liverpool o..shared apartment
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by briliantsak(m): 5:38pm On Oct 02, 2022
Please, anyone in Leeds? I've been searching for accommodation for a couple of weeks now but to no avail. Perhaps because I'm not in the UK yet, I've not been lucky with agents and landlords on Zoopla, Rightmove, Gumtree, OpenRent, Onthemarket, Rentola et al.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 6:07pm On Oct 02, 2022
Who says you can only do menial jobs in the UK? We have to unlearn all of these things. He's a lawyer and he can get good jobs here.

sokeril:

Cos he does not want to leave his lawyer work where he is quite comfortable to be doing menial work in UK. Thats his biggest fear.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 6:44pm On Oct 02, 2022
Perhaps the 'fear' is being able to practice as Solicitor (guess not Barrister). I guess there's a fast track for already called-to-bar lawyer (that is those already called-to-bar in Nigeria). I'll have to check this up.
Depending on experience or area of practice, he might function in the corporate (without immediate need of 'qualified' Solicitor)
[Updated]
Apparently, from Sept last year, qualifying gets 'easier' for England and Wales: one can even sits for SQE from 9ja!
See www.lawsociety.org.uk/career-advice/becoming-a-solicitor/qualifying-from-abroad-to-work-in-england-and-wales
Might also be worthwhile checking out and associating with the British Nigeria Law Forum https://bnlf.org.uk/
bigtt76:
Who says you can only do menial jobs in the UK? We have to unlearn all of these things. He's a lawyer and he can get good jobs here.
sokeril:

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by leef2022: 8:08pm On Oct 02, 2022
Resilient97:
Hello, I'm new in the UK and still trying to find my way around. Is there a way to make payment when you have cash, just like using POS[b][/b] in Nigeria.

Also, where can I get affordable foodstuffs and winter jacket in Aberdeen?

Pay-points at some convenience stores offer such services.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by phyl123: 8:22pm On Oct 02, 2022
eniola1010:

Sorry for diving deep.
Look at this analysis.
A student has 4 banks. Namely. Revolut, monzo, nawest and wise.

He linked his monzo to his employer with NI, and that is where his employer pays his 20hour work salary into.

Now this student still does fiverr job and takes his earning into the revolut and natwest.

Would the hrmc find out. Or they can only know about what comes into the monzo since that is the one the employer pays into and that is the one tied to the NI
Yes they will find out even if you have 20 bank accounts, all they need to do is type in your name, date of birth and NI numbers and every bank account based in the uk with your name will come up.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by phyl123: 8:27pm On Oct 02, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Which part of the ashes, would you desire.......... grin

The head or tail........ wink

Can you tell from the ashes?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by phyl123: 8:28pm On Oct 02, 2022
Munamoqel:
the wind is already blowing in japa hq the original people the uk was built for are prostesting high inflation and cost of living . Japarains from Nijia are selling their properties and resigning from their plum jobs and japing straight into this economic crisis . Most Japarains are just following bandwagon effect of been sold a dummy by the UK and educational agent .

You sound pained…
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by iboboyswag(m): 8:39pm On Oct 02, 2022
ConnectMee:
Carried meat (fried, smoked and dried), same for fish too. No one stopped or collected it from me.

Please help, mamatukwas and co. How can I bring in goat meat and fish I bought from Lagos.

They are fried and I got them from these portion butchers.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by phyl123: 8:42pm On Oct 02, 2022
hustla:

If its sent to my UK account from say Germany without being linked to my NI, there is no way anyone can nab me

It has to be linked to the NI for anything to be deduced or to be large enough to be flagged as money laundering

My thoughts though smiley

When money comes into your account from an unknown source especially from abroad, it’s flagged by the bank and sometimes unknown to you the HMRC will do a credit check on you, It will be a soft search. It will show on your report. What this means?, is that the bank will alert HMRC. If this continues, you run the risk of getting your account closed down. ( only if the source of the money cannot be traced) These days the source of income can be traced as banks all over the world work hand in hand. Only certain countries like Iran, Russia etc and a few others. This is the reason why certain banks don’t accept funds from Iran etc.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by domin8(f): 9:05pm On Oct 02, 2022
If you are student or a student family, you can try here https://www.unipolhousing.org.uk/leeds/

briliantsak:
Please, anyone in Leeds? I've been searching for accommodation for a couple of weeks now but to no avail. Perhaps because I'm not in the UK yet, I've not been lucky with agents and landlords on Zoopla, Rightmove, Gumtree, OpenRent, Onthemarket, Rentola et al.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 9:13pm On Oct 02, 2022
phyl123:

Can you tell from the ashes?

The true definition of emotional attachment............. grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by phyl123: 9:16pm On Oct 02, 2022
Lexusgs430:

The true definition of emotional attachment............. grin

They have got too much money to spend… Life is very simple but humans complicate it cheesy cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 9:26pm On Oct 02, 2022
phyl123:

They have got too much money to spend… Life is very simple but humans complicate it cheesy cheesy

Hence I stated, den no get wàhálà at all .......... cheesy

Fighting over a dead dog......... Like some Nigerian's are fighting over a quarter to die buhari........... wink
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by seunoj: 9:36pm On Oct 02, 2022
AlphaUno:

He doesn’t know ‘warrisgoinon’ , even after being advised, e still dey doubt am.
I’m yet to see any Arab accept non cash for their transactions - not saying there are none, but e hard.
Those guys are beating the system on a steady
Those Arab na don. They accep cash and non cash. Lawyer dey, accountant dey, dem go finish the work. No story.

(1) (2) (3) ... (634) (635) (636) (637) (638) (639) (640) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.