Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,202 members, 7,829,298 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:54 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (638) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1192069 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (635) (636) (637) (638) (639) (640) (641) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ukay2: 10:01pm On Oct 02, 2022
sokeril:

Alright,thank you. Maybe its not that bad then.
Cos he does not want to leave his lawyer work where he is quite comfortable to be doing menial work in UK. Thats his biggest fear.

He can Google how to practice as a lawyer in the UK from Nigeria and if there are exams to write, he can write them and qualify to practice as a lawyer in the UK too. It's about making good research and asking colleagues who might have successfully moved to the UK and practice as lawyers. Nothing is impossible if you work for it.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ukay2: 10:03pm On Oct 02, 2022
bigtt76:
Who says you can only do menial jobs in the UK? We have to unlearn all of these things. He's a lawyer and he can get good jobs here.

Exactly what he should unlearn.....hope he finds it useful.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 10:14pm On Oct 02, 2022
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Resilient97: 10:37pm On Oct 02, 2022
Okay, thanks.
leef2022:

Pay-points at some convenience stores offer such services.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AlphaUno: 10:44pm On Oct 02, 2022
seunoj:

Those Arab na don. They accep cash and non cash. Lawyer dey, accountant dey, dem go finish the work. No story.

They are crooks when it comes to biz
Wives are usually full time housewives - only one source of income but backed up by a closely knit Arab community.

They the ones living the ‘life’ with flashy cars.
They don’t think twice when breaking the law, knowing they got a solid community behind ‘em

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dustydee: 11:06pm On Oct 02, 2022
sokeril:

Alright,thank you. Maybe its not that bad then.
Cos he does not want to leave his lawyer work where he is quite comfortable to be doing menial work in UK. Thats his biggest fear.
Personally, since the guy is doing well and established in Nigeria, I see no point in him relocating. The stress of having to start all over again with no guarantee of success is not worth it in my opinion. He has the money and can travel to most parts of the world he wants to.
I see no tangible advantage in this case.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AlphaUno: 11:28pm On Oct 02, 2022
Resilient97:
Hello, I'm new in the UK and still trying to find my way around. Is there a way to make payment when you have cash, just like using POS in Nigeria.

Also, where can I get affordable foodstuffs and winter jacket in Aberdeen?

If you ve got a UK bank account, load your account with cash and use your debit card for your everyday transactions.

There are neighbourhood markets that are open to the public on selected days (Sunday market, boot market, so and so market etc) in some towns n villages check them out near you.
-Charity stores are also good for household/clothes but people are of the view that their items are a bit pricey these days.
-Check Lidl for rock-bottom foodstuffs prices (but make sure your spendings per time isn’t too high (less than £25) to avoid VAT - the idea is to encourage frequent shopping.

Ire o

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AlphaUno: 11:43pm On Oct 02, 2022
Greathand01:
Please I need house in Liverpool o..shared apartment

Try L1, L2, L3, L6 (Kensington) and L7 (close to city centre). I understand those are students areas
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 1:03am On Oct 03, 2022
semmyk:
Perhaps the 'fear' is able to practice as Solicitor (guess not Barrister). I guess there's a fast track for already called-to-bar lawyer. I'll have to check this up.
Depending on experience or area of practice, he might function in the corporate (without immediate need of 'qualified' Solicitor)
[Updated]
Apparently, from Sept this here, qualifying gets 'easier' for England and Wales: can even sits for SQE from 9ja!
See www.lawsociety.org.uk/career-advice/becoming-a-solicitor/qualifying-from-abroad-to-work-in-england-and-wales
Might also be worthwhile checking out the British Nigeria Law Forum https://bnlf.org.uk/

SQE cannot be sat for in Nigeria.

Plus, it's not 'easy' by any means. It can be done in about a year plus but it's intense and the person has to be ready to study as if he was back in law School (lawyers will understand). @Sokeril, there are three options:

1. Come to the UK, prepare and write the SQE to qualify as a solicitor and then apply to work as a lawyer.

2. Apply directly to firms as a foreign-qualified lawyer. Many firms recruit Nigerian practitioners since we share the same system of law and they often have cross-border transactions that involve Nigeria. This will only work if he has solid transactional experience in a highly in-demand area of practise - finance/power/construction/tech etc., not stuff like criminal defense, divorce or petty practice generally.

3. Plan to work in roles that are legal but not directly practising as a lawyer as in going to court - so that's things like compliance, data protection, Intellectual property etc. This is the most straightforward and what I would recommend. While doing this he can then decide if he wants to shoot for a law firm using one of the other routes.

As to whether he should or should not, it depends on what his expertise is. If he's doing petty stuff like police station work and CAC registrations, then he'll find it more difficult. If he has solid, internationally-marketable experience though, he should definitely move. His skills will be valued and rewarded much much more financially and otherwise. There's a reason why partner-level lawyers from tier 1 firms are leaving to posts abroad.

Overall though, he would probably be much better off abroad. I don't know his exact status in Naija but unless he's working for a tier 1, it's unlikely that he's earning anything close to what he would be earning in the UK (full-time as a dependent) even if he has to take a junior role to start with, even when adjusted for living expenses. I would say he should just bite the bullet and travel - worst case scenario is he doesn't like it and he goes back.

Updating the bolded - Got feedback from a colleague and confirmed that semmyk was right - the SQE1 CAN be sat for in Nigeria. The second part must be taken in the UK but for a lawyer looking to qualify, it eases things significantly. You can finish the first part before needing to travel, and can potentially also go to do the second part on a visit visa and qualify fully, and then secure employment before migrating to work.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by briliantsak(m): 1:36am On Oct 03, 2022
domin8:
If you are student or a student family, you can try here https://www.unipolhousing.org.uk/leeds/

Thanks for your prompt reply. However, I am not in that category. I'm a professional and unipolhousing doesn't have anything in Leeds for professionals yet.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by sokeril: 1:48am On Oct 03, 2022
koonbey:

Plus, it's not 'easy' by any means. It can be done in about a year plus but it's intense and the person has to be ready to study as if he was back in law School (lawyers will understand). @Sokeril, there are three options:

1. Come to the UK, prepare and write the SQE to qualify as a solicitor and then apply to work as a lawyer.

2. Apply directly to firms as a foreign-qualified lawyer. Many firms recruit Nigerian practitioners since we share the same system of law and they often have cross-border transactions that involve Nigeria. This will only work if he has solid transactional experience in a highly in-demand area of practise - finance/power/construction/tech etc., not stuff like criminal defense, divorce or petty practice generally.

3. Plan to work in roles that are legal but not directly practising as a lawyer as in going to court - so that's things like compliance, data protection, Intellectual property etc. This is the most straightforward and what I would recommend. While doing this he can then decide if he wants to shoot for a law firm using one of the other routes.

As to whether he should or should not, it depends on what his expertise is. If he's doing petty stuff like police station work and CAC registrations, then he'll find it more difficult. If he has solid, internationally-marketable experience though, he should definitely move. His skills will be valued and rewarded much much more financially and otherwise. There's a reason why partner-level lawyers from tier 1 firms are leaving to posts abroad.

Overall though, he would probably be much better off abroad. I don't know his exact status in Naija but unless he's working for a tier 1, it's unlikely that he's earning anything close to what he would be earning in the UK (full-time as a dependent) even if he has to take a junior role to start with, even when adjusted for living expenses. I would say he should just bite the bullet and travel - worst case scenario is he doesn't like it and he goes back.
Thank you very much. I’m so grateful sir.
The issue is really causing a lot of problems for the family.
On a side note sir,he owns his law own law firm
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 4:22am On Oct 03, 2022
To avoid more problems for the family, let the family be guided by evidence-based decisions
From Sept 2021, there's been some changes to the pathway to getting qualified. That doesn't mean there are no challenges.
SQE 1 and SQE 2 (written) can now be taken at test center 'abroad' (outside of the UK). See the link on the Lawsociety webpage where it says ... Find your nearest test centre on the Pearson website
If the test centers in Nigeria (or Ghana or Cameroon) are no longer working, let them raise it with the UK Lawsociety.
NB: the costs are not pocket friendly!
Let the family read the provisions of the legal body and inquire from legal associations.
In my view, if SQE 1 and SQE 2 (written) are done before hitting the UK, it
1. Reduces the barrier
2. Should reduce the stress
3. Should make it even easier to take on non-Solicitors roles (such as those in the corporate)
4. Reduce the time to getting fully qualified. NB: SQE 2 (oral) must be done when he gets to the UK.
All the best.
PS: there's hidden gem in koonbey statement: ... "There's a reason why partner-level lawyers from tier 1 firms are leaving to posts abroad." Let 'em ponder on it. In any case, let 'em move for a reason and not any reason.
NB: koonbey is right that ... it's not 'easy' by any means.
NB: alongside the three (well articulated) options, there's a latch-on 4th option: starting from 9ja
sokeril:

Thank you very much. I’m so grateful sir.
The issue is really causing a lot of problems for the family.
On a side note sir,he owns his law own law firm
koonbey:

semmyk:
Perhaps the 'fear' is being able to practice as Solicitor (guess not Barrister). I guess there's a fast track for already called-to-bar lawyer. I'll have to check this up.
Depending on experience or area of practice, he might function in the corporate (without immediate need of 'qualified' Solicitor)
[Updated]
Apparently, from Sept last year, qualifying gets 'easier' for England and Wales: can even sits for SQE from 9ja!
See www.lawsociety.org.uk/career-advice/becoming-a-solicitor/qualifying-from-abroad-to-work-in-england-and-wales
Might also be worthwhile checking out the British Nigeria Law Forum https://bnlf.org.uk/

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 4:53am On Oct 03, 2022
Spots on ukay2. Indeed, possible if they work for it diligently. @sokeril
ukay2:
He can Google how to practice as a lawyer in the UK from Nigeria and if there are exams to write, he can write them and qualify to practice as a lawyer in the UK too. It's about making good research and asking colleagues who might have successfully moved to the UK and practice as lawyers. Nothing is impossible if you work for it.
[Part research]
semmyk:
... ...
From Sept 2021, ... ...
SQE 1 and SQE 2 (written) can now be taken at test center 'abroad' (outside of the UK). See the link on the Lawsociety webpage where it says ... Find your nearest test centre on the Pearson website
... ...

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lordfiido(m): 8:07am On Oct 03, 2022
AlphaUno:

Try L1, L2, L3, L6 (Kensington) and L7 (close to city centre). I understand those are students areas
L4 is also good. I stay there
You can send a pm. I will connect you to an agent or just check nowrooms Liverpool. The paperwork isn’t that tedious
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 8:28am On Oct 03, 2022
perigosa:
Hello house is there any one currently in the UK at the moment ??

Not yet, we are all still awaiting our visa decisions ....... wink

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 8:39am On Oct 03, 2022
perigosa:
Hello house is there any one currently in the UK at the moment ??

No. Russia has taken everybody.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by phyl123: 8:44am On Oct 03, 2022
Lexusgs430:

grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Pogracious: 9:02am On Oct 03, 2022
Hello Ancestors,

Please I went to drop my child in school and I said let me do a drive through and drop the boy but everywhere seems occupied only a safe place where a parked to drop my boy ,as I dropped him one staff was driving behind and started asking him questions .I looked back that was when she shouted from her car that am not supposed to park inside the school.I said Okay and quickly left the bay but am just wondering what the woman was asking my son?Should I be worried? Pls help with advise ooo
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by sokeril: 9:15am On Oct 03, 2022
semmyk:
To avoid more problems for the family, let the family be guided by evidence-based decisions
From Sept 2021, there's been some changes to the pathway to getting qualified. That doesn't mean there are no challenges.
If the test centers in Nigeria (or Ghana or Cameroon) are no longer working, let them raise it with the UK Lawsociety.
NB: the costs are not pocket friendly!
Let the family read the provisions of the legal body and inquire from legal associations.
In my view, if SQE 1 and SQE 2 (written) are done before hitting the UK, it
1. Reduces the barrier
2. Should reduce the stress
3. Should make it even easier to take on non-Solicitors roles (such as those in the corporate)
4. Reduce the time to getting fully qualified. NB: SQE 2 (oral) must be done when he gets to the UK.
All the best.
PS: there's hidden gem in koonbey statement: ... "There's a reason why partner-level lawyers from tier 1 firms are leaving to posts abroad." Let 'em ponder on it. In any case, let 'em move for a reason and not any reason.
NB: koonbey is right that ... it's not 'easy' by any means.
NB: alongside the three (well articulated) options, there's a latch-on 4th option: starting from 9ja

Sir,I’m so appreciative and grateful.
Thanks so much.
I’ve screenshot and sent every of your posts to him. It’s been really helpful.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by speedworthcargo(m): 9:27am On Oct 03, 2022
Lexusgs430:

With KLM, you transit at schipol (Amsterdam) ...... With Airfrance, you transit at CDG or ORLY (if you transit THROUGH ORLY , (YOU MUST CLAIM YOUR CHECKED IN LUGGAGE). Before you make your way to CDG.... You still end up at LHR..

With all this transits, ensure you check your last mile return flight, before you book. Not checking could mean your return flight is either within an hour or 8 hours......

You could also book either KLM/AF, and checkout via LCY (London city airport)....... If you reside in the east/SE...... LCY, would be your best last mile stop......

NB : Also ensure you have a transit visit, if your flight stops at ORLY.....

I don try........ cheesy
BELOW ITEMS ARE NOT ACCEPTED IN UK BY CARGO
✓ Fish
✓ meat
✓ Pomo
✓honey
✓ cray fish
✓ Any maggi chicken or maggi cray fish.
✓ Snail
✓ cigarette
✓ beans
✓ Any alcohol drink
✓Air fresher
✓ insecticite or flirt
✓Perfume
Above are items not accept by airline.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by level10: 10:59am On Oct 03, 2022
Pogracious:
Hello Ancestors,

Please I went to drop my child in school and I said let me do a drive through and drop the boy but everywhere seems occupied only a safe place where a parked to drop my boy ,as I dropped him one staff was driving behind and started asking him questions .I looked back that was when she shouted from her car that am supposed to park.I said Okay and quickly left the bay but am just wondering what the woman was asking my son?Should I be worried? Pls help with advise ooo

You have to be extremely careful bro/sis.
The west is designed not to favour black people.
Worst case ,she will keep an eye out and wait for you to make another mistake before she invites safe guarding(worst case )
Be very very loving to your kids.
To be honest they are the only ones that can say,I love my daddy and the wicked staff would back off

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 12:15pm On Oct 03, 2022
level10:

You have to be extremely careful bro/sis.
The west is designed not to favour black people.

Worst case ,she will keep an eye out and wait for you to make another mistake before she invites safe guarding(worst case )
Be very very loving to your kids.
To be honest they are the only ones that can say,I love my daddy and the wicked staff would back off

You people are too quick to make everything about race. You no dey tire?

Better change this persecution mindset before you begin to suffer from medical-grade paranoia.

15 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Tymally: 12:27pm On Oct 03, 2022
Please what is the best way to get to Nottingham from Birmingham? Train or bus? Please bear in mind that that I would have up to 3 bags (coming from Nigeria.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kode12: 12:29pm On Oct 03, 2022
Does anyone know where an few people can just buy a full cow and have it butchered and split?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Santa2: 12:38pm On Oct 03, 2022
semmyk:
Yep. Global Talent goes beyonds researcher and narrowed view of digital tech.
Interestingly for us researchers, we are interrogating the term 'digital technology'!

@semmyk..Thanks for always taking out time to research people's questions and reply. You might not hear this all the time but you are appreciated.

10 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by penurypredator(m): 1:12pm On Oct 03, 2022
Passed my driving test today and was a first timer. Took so long because I was on and off with learning.
Helpful tip for anyone would be just get started with lessons and plan to get your license soon, that’s definitely saving you loads of money.
And it’s really hard to get a date now and an advice on this would just be to login to the site on Monday by 6am as that’s when new dates gets released and afterwards, you can just use this app I use to get an early date. Just select the dates you want and turn on autobooking. This app took me from Jan 2023 to early October 2022.
Thanks lexusgs430 I remember you replied on hours to get started with a few years back.

16 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 1:23pm On Oct 03, 2022
penurypredator:
Passed my driving test today and was a first timer. Took so long because I was on and off with learning.
Helpful tip for anyone would be just get started with lessons and plan to get your license soon, that’s definitely saving you loads of money.
And it’s really hard to get a date now and an advice on this would just be to login to the site on Monday by 6am as that’s when new dates gets released and afterwards, you can just use this app I use to get an early date. Just select the dates you want and turn on autobooking. This app took me from Jan 2023 to early October 2022.
Thanks lexusgs430 I remember you replied on hours to get started with a few years back.

Congrats on your success..

Let me tag Amarathripple0 so she can see this post

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Regex: 1:52pm On Oct 03, 2022
Lexusgs430:

People craze oh...walahi

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 1:56pm On Oct 03, 2022
LagosismyHome:

Congrats on your success..

Let me tag Amarathripple0 so she can see this post

Thank you sooo much! Appreciate. I got an instructor and I’m starting my lessons tomorrow grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (635) (636) (637) (638) (639) (640) (641) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.