Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,921 members, 7,828,205 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 06:12 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (648) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1191175 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (645) (646) (647) (648) (649) (650) (651) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Stenvee: 2:12pm On Oct 06, 2022
ugoonuoha:

So sorry, I know the feeling! Accomodation is now kryptonite. I feel there should be a law to limit number of applicants per advert. Should be illegal for landlords to be using would be tenants to catch cruise. It should be basic info...where you work, income level, background check etc. For like maximum 5 ppl. Then you proceed with your candidate. If person falls through, go with backup option. Not dozens of application per house. Just compare with the ease of paying for house you like on the spot in Naija. First come first serve!
No mind them. There was this house that we were the first to view. We were so positive about it because we met all the criteria but the agency said they have to wait for more applications before sending it over to the landlord to decide. It took them about one week to gather applications and we were not picked in the end. E pain me angry
They called afterwards to say that the person chosen by the landlord is no longer interested and asked if we still want the place. We said yes! Our hopes came alive again but guess what? They had to go gather other applications again to submit to the landlord for the second time and we were disappointed again.
The one we finally got, we were the first to view the house and the agency did not waste time in pushing our application to the landlord. That same day, he approved it and that's it.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Santa2: 2:16pm On Oct 06, 2022
LagosismyHome:

Yeap for me it too long for me , I rather use the married route but recently I saw someone post of how they got their visa using unmarried and even listed what the documents they used.

https://www.nairaland.com/7267459/uk-student-visa-tier-4/67#115761692

@LagosismyHome sent you a dm..could you please respond?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 2:32pm On Oct 06, 2022
ugoonuoha:

So sorry, I know the feeling! Accomodation is now kryptonite. I feel there should be a law to limit number of applicants per advert. Should be illegal for landlords to be using would be tenants to catch cruise. It should be basic info...where you work, income level, background check etc. For like maximum 5 ppl. Then you proceed with your candidate. If person falls through, go with backup option. Not dozens of application per house. Just compare with the ease of paying for house you like on the spot in Naija. First come first serve!

Remember the law of demand & supply......... cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by leef2022: 2:41pm On Oct 06, 2022
[quote author=perigosa post=117323545]Pls is there any one that know a person or immigration officer working at any international airport that can detect fake visas[b][/b]

Fly with it, @ poe many immigration officers, you don't need to know anyone..

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by giselle237: 2:46pm On Oct 06, 2022
hustla:

I doubt
Gotta do that registry stuff as far as I know
You can check the home office website if there's a way around it
smiley
it’s possible. U must not be married. Have to submit evidence of the relationship of upto 2 years
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by giselle237: 2:53pm On Oct 06, 2022
perigosa:
Pls is there any one that know a person or immigration officer working at any international airport that can detect fake visas
your desperation will land you in the hands of those who will dupe you clean. Stop jumping here and there. If it is not fake visa you are looking for then it is where you will not submit biometrics at POE. .. or who will show you asylum.
Today’s own is for immigration officer who can detect fake visa. Pls be careful..
you are 2 seconds away from getting into serious trouble… just be careful

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 2:53pm On Oct 06, 2022
giselle237:
it’s possible. U must not be married. Have to submit evidence of the relationship of upto 2 years

Yeah Seen
The evidence needed is quite "wahalaful"
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 2:54pm On Oct 06, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Remember the law of demand & supply......... cheesy

Is it like that of the agbado man where cassava, garri and yam is involved?

Btwn P7P launch is now on wink
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 3:15pm On Oct 06, 2022
perigosa

99% of people here are in the UK

Ask your Qs
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by leef2022: 3:25pm On Oct 06, 2022
giselle237:
your desperation will land you in the hands of those who will dupe you clean. Stop jumping here and there. If it is not fake visa you are looking for then it is where you will not submit biometrics at POE. .. or who will show you asylum.
Today’s own is for immigration officer who can detect fake visa. Pls be careful[b][/b]..
you are 2 seconds away from getting into serious trouble… just be careful

What are you saying, person asked if you know any international immigration officer and you think the person isn't careful...?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 3:45pm On Oct 06, 2022
leef2022:

What are you saying, person asked if you know any international immigration officer and you think the person isn't careful...?
She said the right thing. OP wants to fly out with a fake visa and he/she is wondering if they’ll get caught.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by level10: 3:48pm On Oct 06, 2022
justwise:

I mean if you were born here and your mum&dadd lived and worked here for 27yrs surely they are citizens or have ILR, that also means that you are eligible for citizenship, so how did you skip all that and come here on spouse visa?

My folks were “very very” illegal migrants at the time.
Justwise ,You would have gone farther in life if you took time out to learn more than you crumbs you know!

The word SURELY show high level of dopiness, especially on subject you don’t know about.

You have showed your prowess in researching yet you fail in understanding.
Feel free to Ask questions and study the variables more.

Ps…Since you are so busy putting the pieces of my history together,I May as well link you up with my pops.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 3:54pm On Oct 06, 2022
perigosa:
Pls is there any one that know a person or immigration officer working at any international airport that can detect fake visas

You want them to show you on Arise television and AIT

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lordfiido(m): 4:04pm On Oct 06, 2022
level10:

Justwise ,You would have gone farther in life if you took time out to learn more than you crumbs you know!

The word SURELY show high level of dopiness, especially on subject you don’t know about.

Ps…Since you are so busy putting the pieces of my history together,I May as well link you up with my pops.
Bros Abeg stop typing. Rest ehn
You are not making sense.

15 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 4:12pm On Oct 06, 2022
hustla:

Is it like that of the agbado man where cassava, garri and yam is involved?

Btwn P7P launch is now on wink

Not forgetting beans & dodo........... wink

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kode12: 4:43pm On Oct 06, 2022
Lordfiido:

Bros Abeg stop typing. Rest ehn
You are not making sense.

grin grin grin
That comrade is something else

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Davidonkonsults: 4:47pm On Oct 06, 2022
level10:

Abeg keep quiet. Your parents were illegal immigrants that lived and worked in UK for 27 years. But UK is the problem and not you and your family? You that takes out time to learn, where have you gone in life?

19 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AlphaUno: 5:19pm On Oct 06, 2022
koonbey:

Those families who stayed months before renting their own place probably paid twice as much for airbnb/hotel per month as they would have in rent. So the cost of staying three months for instance could feasibly have been the cost of rent for six months. So paying for a long time upfront can actually be very prudent financially. Afterall they would still pay the rent anyway.

Some universities are advising students not to resume at all this session because their cities have literally run out of accommodation, so it's not a case of 'perseverance', and it's not desperation that is worsening the housing crisis - there's literally not enough housing for the people in the country and those coming in - it's an infrastructure crisis.

Ultimately, the strategy that will work for everyone differs - let's not be too quick to insult people for taking different routes than we had to.

If I posited that a certain upfront payment is extravagant, so, you expect such extravagant amount to be paid via Airbnb for 3 months?
Think again, who stays in Airbnb for 3 months?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AlphaUno: 5:33pm On Oct 06, 2022
Santa2:

@AlphaUno..You just might be Speaking FROM A position of privileged without know it. Renting a house now is a different ball game than it was same time last year. The current realities on ground is alarming and you honestly dont want to be in any of their shoes right now.

No, I am not speaking from a privileged position. Na who I be kwa?
Anyways, enough said. If you have all the money in this world to pay for your 1 or 2 years’ rent upfront, please do you.
Seems a lot of folks are in this shoe and are mortified to hear someone speak of their concerns in such ways and not pat them on the back
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 7:01pm On Oct 06, 2022
level10:

The gods has spoken! I mean you can only say that if you knew my immigration journey here or know me by any chance.

That apart... so your mum&daddy lived and worked here illegally as a nurse and an engineer for 27yrs in the system that hates blacks?

You are really something else.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 7:01pm On Oct 06, 2022
Are the correct. IMHO, I don't think so. Unfortunately, the accommodation situation is not assisting. Ticha and others advice comes in handy. Ensure, you rent is paid monthly unfailingly. You keep looking frantically (as if you've got none!). The earlier you got off such #agent, the better! All the best.
Kikspie:
... . Are they correct? They are now asking for a uk guarantor which we don't have. ... i am really confused as we don't have 6 months upfront to pay again and we have no guarantor.
AlphaUno:
Yes, they do rent guarantor and it’s totally legal. Google will be a good guide should you decide to rent one

Perhaps this might assist with info on guarantor
semmyk:
This is #gold. You've done a noble cause that might assist many coming onboard. Not aware of 'em b4 now.
@Justwise anyway to #pin! [Santa2 post]

I did a bit of digging. Apparently, it's a well known, accepted service offering!
** https://housinghand.co.uk/
www.rentguarantor.com/
PS: these seemly have 'good' ratings. Pls, anyone using rent guarantors service, kindly do robust DYOR, to avoid stories that might touch sore: cos some might spring up to tap into this service!

Other approaches to note:
https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/private_renting/guarantors_for_private_renters

Gets more interesting. Apparently, some universities offer assist. A {hidden} gem to tap into!!
PS: some uni services might come with bureaucracy, while most piggyback on the rent guarantors above.
- www.gold.ac.uk/students/financial-support/rent-guarantor-service/
- www.ucl.ac.uk/accommodation/returning-residents/ucl-rent-guarantor-scheme
- www.lse.ac.uk/student-life/accommodation/private-housing/rent-guarantor-scheme
- www.ed.ac.uk/student-funding/current-students/guarantor

Well, apart from the demand-supply, there're other #factors. See one from landlords viewpoint: www.landlordzone.co.uk/news/fraudulent-tenancy-applications-surge-as-criminals-switch-to-illegal-sub-letting/
Santa2:
housinghand (dot) co (dot) uk offer guarantor services , for a fee I believe

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 7:08pm On Oct 06, 2022
level10:

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ukay2: 7:30pm On Oct 06, 2022
justwise:

In 2018 i travelled to Nigeria and a friend visited me, while we were chatting he asked if i have investments in Nigeria i said no and explained t issues i have with investing in Nigeria.

This brother started telling me why its important to invest in Nigeria and not the UK and one of the many reasons he gave was that...one day the white man can decide to strip all foreigners of their citizenship and ask us to leave, no place like home, you are a king and lion bla bla bla

Last year he contacted me asking for info about relocating to the UK as Nigeria situation is unbearable...i remembered to ask him about his comment few years ago but i held my peace.

My point is..no place is heaven but where ever you found yourself make an effort to enjoy it else move...

.....words on marble.....
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by damglam(f): 7:37pm On Oct 06, 2022
Hello nairalanders, lol…. If you live in leeds say hi, let’s us connect and network ooo
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mizGene(f): 8:13pm On Oct 06, 2022
AlphaUno:

No, I am not speaking from a privileged position. Na who I be kwa?
Anyways, enough said. If you have all the money in this world to pay for your 1 or 2 years’ rent upfront, please do you.
Seems a lot of folks are in this shoe and are mortified to hear someone speak of their concerns in such ways and not pat them on the back

You are not talking from priviledge but rather from ignorance

11 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by BorisJohnson(f): 9:08pm On Oct 06, 2022
Amarathripple0:

I remember when I first got in here, I attempted to play the race card at a situation which I even shared here. I had to unlearn that nonsense fast else it would have affected my outlook at everything. The OP parked on the road and left a child standing by themself, that should have been enough to understand why the person was speaking to their child. As for that person defending his stance on racism, he should just go back to Nigeria because he’s disturbing this thread.

The guy who checked you out on LinkedIn after a credit application fell through.
I remember too. And you and I ‘fought’. And we reconciled. And I asked if we could stop making war but instead make love. And you accepted my apology. And we became friends. End of story.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by EmeeNaka: 10:01pm On Oct 06, 2022
Hello Guys!

Please, for those that have insured their cars in the UK, please how did you get cheap insurance?
I have tried Marshmallow, Admiralty, elephants, RACs but I do get a high fee. I have reduced my annual mileage, uses international Drivers license. Please, if you know what I need to do, please let me know.
Thanks very much

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 10:50pm On Oct 06, 2022
EmeeNaka:
Hello Guys!

Please, for those that have insured their cars in the UK, please how did you get cheap insurance?
I have tried Marshmallow, Admiralty, elephants, RACs but I do get a high fee. I have reduced my annual mileage, uses international Drivers license. Please, if you know what I need to do, please let me know.
Thanks very much

Cheap insurance for a new UK driver does not exist

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 11:00pm On Oct 06, 2022
BorisJohnson:

The guy who checked you out on LinkedIn after a credit application fell through.
I remember too. And you and I ‘fought’. And we reconciled. And I asked if we could stop making war but instead make love. And you accepted my apology. And we became friends. End of story.
Lol yes oh!

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dustydee: 11:24pm On Oct 06, 2022
BorisJohnson:

Ah, I remember. Did you guys eventually make love? shocked

(1) (2) (3) ... (645) (646) (647) (648) (649) (650) (651) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.