Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,902 members, 7,828,183 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 04:44 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (646) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1191103 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (643) (644) (645) (646) (647) (648) (649) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mohtunrahyor(f): 9:18pm On Oct 05, 2022
Omoluv5:
Thanks so much for your response.
They're yet to apply though, we'll just go ahead then with the POF account we used initially, and back it up with a consent letter...
Please include your school fees balance in the POF (if you have outstanding), someone shared her story on IG about how her children were denied because UKVI expected them to have included the balance.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Chy1fwMDTeA/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 9:23pm On Oct 05, 2022
justwise:

Uk has far more than that, there are really good mid-range phones out there that can challenge house-hold names like iPhone and Samsung

Check Oneplus phones, Oppo, poco, xiaomi and the latest one called Nothing phone 1, these phones are all android and pretty good

Cool...noted. never heard any of these names before, but now I see xiaomi in Carnmoney warehouse
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 9:30pm On Oct 05, 2022
mohtunrahyor:

Please include your school fees balance in the POF (if you have outstanding), someone shared her story on IG about how her children were denied because UKVI expected them to have included the balance.

Wow Nigeria has really failed so many .. people are going through a lot. Imagine not eating and having to go to bed hungry. ...
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 9:53pm On Oct 05, 2022
phyl123:

Mouse and Rat are different … grin grin

That cat is a wimp…. grin angry grin grin my cat challenges dogs..

You tell them for Nigeria, say you get cat for house ....... grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AlphaUno: 9:56pm On Oct 05, 2022
hustla:

Out of curiousity, what's the large space for?

Whatever memory space is used for in this day and age of apps and constant updates

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 9:58pm On Oct 05, 2022
hustla:

I will have to.. Cos it seems it'll be better to just sell off if that's ever the case with my Waka

Thank you!
smiley

And if property is in negative equity.......... grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AlphaUno: 9:59pm On Oct 05, 2022
Omoluv5:
Thanks so much for your response.
They're yet to apply though, we'll just go ahead then with the POF account we used initially, and back it up with a consent letter...

Oh! Thought they already had it when you talking about bringing them over
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 10:01pm On Oct 05, 2022
Lexusgs430:

And if property is in negative equity.......... grin

cry
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 10:02pm On Oct 05, 2022
AlphaUno:

Whatever memory space is used for in this day and age of apps and constant updates

Must be Team Apple grin
64Gb space people
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 10:03pm On Oct 05, 2022
AlphaUno:

Get your new phone from 9ja while ensuring it’s the latest in terms of specifications.
Ensure a very laaaaarge memory space, you ll need it later.
Familiarise yourself to your map b4 you land UK

Large memory not required, truly....... With the plethora of cloud storage provider's and cheap internet access. ...... shocked

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AlphaUno: 10:13pm On Oct 05, 2022
mizGene:

You are talking from your secure housing...wait until you are in that position where you are homeless in foreign, cold (literally) and unfriendly land and have no other hope of getting approved to rent any place including one room..

Been there done that

I will gladly place a bet on this, that if the individual in question, had no recourse to such fund, he would have found a more cost less alternative(s)

Planning is a continuous mental exercise and also in phases. The beauty of it all is that it’s never to late to plan - just recalibrate and go thru the planning process b4 taking further decisions again.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Omoluv5: 10:26pm On Oct 05, 2022
Lols... we're trying to know what will work best, besides it'll be in 2months from now...

giselle237:
yet to apply ke and you are running helter skelter about flight or no flight. Hmm
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AlphaUno: 10:26pm On Oct 05, 2022
mizGene:

Why? Na only students de live for Staffordshire? tongue

You already know the answer to your question

For a detailed and informed response, you and I know that’s the best place for answers to his concerns
You wey dey go work for at least 4 days in the week and still battling with work related issues and other immigrant palava, na you go answer im question better or person wey don walk the same rope b4 and knows where n how to avoid pitfalls?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AlphaUno: 10:43pm On Oct 05, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Large memory not required, truly....... With the plethora of cloud storage provider's and cheap internet access. ...... shocked

I disagree on this, as I have personally experienced this. You don’t want an upgrade to your phone’s operating system (each upgrade requires more space) and when you try to, you told ‘low on space’

Apart from documents and images, are you saying one can store one’s apps in cloud storage and access them on the phone remotely?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AlphaUno: 10:46pm On Oct 05, 2022
hustla:

Must be Team Apple grin
64Gb space people

Nice try but not there
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Regex: 10:51pm On Oct 05, 2022
Lexusgs430:

You tell them for Nigeria, say you get cat for house ....... grin

You want vawulence?

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 11:06pm On Oct 05, 2022
AlphaUno:

The bolded is what will happen. And I’m sure they will still knock his referencing off with one excuse or the other.
All in all, 6 months upfront is what they are after

Imagine presenting a UK guarantor who’s a
Citizen
Home owner
And a professional employed by a government agency
And they still fault the referencing.

If dem no wan give you dem go gather impediments put for your front by all means
You're right...if they plan you they have planned you be that.

But I'm curious as to what the possible outcomes are if after contract expiration the tenant does not have 6 months to pay upfront and landlord does not want to renew except 6 months is paid upfront.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 11:25pm On Oct 05, 2022
Lindakam:
I thought I should share my experience on "no recourse to public funds". I happen to be in the tech field with no much years of experience and decided to opt in for a bootcamp to brush up my skills as it offers internship after graduation. I went through the process and passed. However on offer, I was told that the bootcamp was sponsored by the "department of xxxxxx UK"... And since I was on student visa, I have no recourse to public funds which included this sponsorship by one of the govt. departments... Hence, would affect any other applications in the future. It made me to go back and had a good read about this public funds

It thought me a lesson, in as much as I am looking to fit myself into the society, their rules are their rules and sometimes you unintentionally go against it like this one. We also want to ask as such questions as possible and be open as well. I still remain grateful to the lady that pointed it out to me because I would enrolled without knowing that I had gone against my visa rules.

We all know recourse to public fund is against some visa conditions. It is boldly written on BRPs.

The help you can offer here is to mention the govt dept sponsoring the program so that people will avoid it as not everyone may be lucky to encounter the lady you encountered.

You didn't get it so no need to fear competition.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 11:35pm On Oct 05, 2022
AlphaUno:

I disagree on this, as I have personally experienced this. You don’t want an upgrade to your phone’s operating system (each upgrade requires more space) and when you try to, you told ‘low on space’

Apart from documents and images, are you saying one can store one’s apps in cloud storage and access them on the phone remotely?

When the real owners of your phone collect am, nko ...... What happens to all the contents on your 512GB ..... grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ticha: 12:43am On Oct 06, 2022
Kikspie:
hello people. i am really confused as we don't have 6 months upfront to pay again and we have no guarantor.

You have 2 options

1. Find a new place. You've been there 6 months and been a good tenant plus now have a job so you should be fine. However, there seems to be a huge rental shortage across the country so obviously it depends on if you can find a place!

2. Stay and ignore them and keep paying rent. Only you and the courts can end a tenancy. The agent will have to serve you a s21 which is a notice to leave. That is valid for 2 months. If after the 2 months you don't leave, they will apply to the court. It's not a criminal offence to stay etc and it will leave no mark on your records as long as you keep paying rent. However, if the agency is a big one in that area, it most likely will blacklist you which then means you would struggle to find a place. It currently takes approx 14 months to get a court date so in that time, you could find somewhere else.

Other things you could do:
You should have the landlords details on the initial tenancy agreement. You can reach out to the landlord and plead your case directly. The agents have to do his bidding.
or
Negotiate with the agents. Say you will find a place and leave and end the tenancy. But will give notice when you find a place and you will be open to viewings in the notice period. You only need to give a months notice anyway.

PS - Because you paid 6 months upfront, I've read that it actually changes your notice period from the landlord. Let me go find some information. https://www.propertyhawk.co.uk/magazines/advanced-rent-legal-update/

Good luck!

10 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ticha: 12:59am On Oct 06, 2022
hustla:

Income tax? Why??!

I mentioned it o! Where I wrote you will pay Oga Charlie his cut. All income generated in the UK is subject to income tax. Luckily for you because you won't be in the UK and it's just one house, the tax free allowance plus any expenditure will likely leave you with no tax to pay. However once you start scaling up then s24 (make sure you read up on it!) will start to bite.

Because landlords will often not pay as they're not in the country especially where they self manage, HMRC brought in rules that all overseas landlords have to be registered and that tenants must hold back money from rent paid to remit to HMRC.

There are options to mitigate the effects of s24. Again, read up on it!

Basically landlording is like any other job in the UK, there are rules and regulations you need to know about. Ignorance is not an excuse in law. The fines are very very steep.

8 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 2:27am On Oct 06, 2022
AlphaUno:

Such individuals are only feeding their greedy appetite when they pay such money.
The individual was not properly advised or just acting like a ‘money-miss-Road’. No insult intended please.
In some areas, that’s mortgage deposit faa!!

Don't say that ooo.... until you walked in that shoe. I am currently looking for housing for some people coming in and its truly not easy.

Even with properly planning, me I am on ground yet one month I never see. Before I can view it taken. The ones I even hurried and put deposit I was later turned down that since they are not here yet, then they won't pass referencing. We even offered to pay 6 months and the agency said no. .... you probably don't know the extent of housing shortage and the influx from student and workers visa

Truly until you walk in a shoe, it very easy to call names like money miss road

11 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ugoonuoha: 3:26am On Oct 06, 2022
LagosismyHome:

Don't say that ooo.... until you walked in that shoe. I am currently looking for housing for some people coming in and its truly not easy.

Even with properly planning, me I am on ground yet one month I never see. Before I can view it taken. The ones I even hurried and put deposit I was later turned down that since they are not here yet, then they won't pass referencing. We even offered to pay 6 months and the agency said no. .... you probably don't know the extent of housing shortage and the influx from student and workers visa

Spot on!
I just laughed when I saw his comment and "aspire to perspire" reply. This country is going through a serious housing crisis ATM! I went through everything you did...but for 2 months. Used all the sites possible plus word-of-mouth. It was so depressing. Ontop the expensive rent that you're willing to pay...no one was willing to accept. Some landlords/agents even rejected upfront rent payment and opt for others applying.

Imagine the pain of going for viewing, doing paperwork etc. And then being told someone else has been given the place. Same outcome....over and over and over again. Accomodation is more rare than gold in the UK today! Thank God the word-of-mouth search finally paid off and it came at the nick of time. Bypassed all the rubbish process and got my keys same day. Such a huge relief!

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AlphaUno: 4:04am On Oct 06, 2022
Lexusgs430:

When the real owners of your phone collect am, nko ...... What happens to all the contents on your 512GB ..... grin

Of course, not saying you don’t need cloud storage but enhanced storage on the phone can’t also be waved away
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AlphaUno: 4:10am On Oct 06, 2022
Viruses:

You're right...if they plan you they have planned you be that.

But I'm curious as to what the possible outcomes are if after contract expiration the tenant does not have 6 months to pay upfront and landlord does not want to renew except 6 months is paid upfront.

The family has a solid case as the law appears to be in their favour but I wouldn’t want the landlord and the agent stain their rent history
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AlphaUno: 4:49am On Oct 06, 2022
LagosismyHome:

Been there done that

The UK housing shortage is a cause for concern no doubt as more and more property owners prefer the Airbnb route rather than let out to tenants
I believe the acute shortage is location specific - more pronounced in some locations than others.
My point still stands that if that fund wasn’t available, the individual would still get a property to rent eventually
People should desist from acting desperate as this will only feed the greediness of some landlords and agents.
It will continue to get worse and these property people will continue to devise ‘crazy means’ to extort and exploit intending tenants.
Imagine the case above where the landlord/agent is asking for another 6 months upfront
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AlphaUno: 5:22am On Oct 06, 2022
Call it perspire to maguire but people need to lower their expectations when coming in into the UK. You can’t get in, even with your bags of money, and think everything will fall into place as soon as you arrive.

The desperation, if unchecked, will only worsen the housing crisis.

Stories abound of families who got in and couldn’t get accommodation even after several months. Are they homeless today? No!
They ve been able to get a place eventually without breaking banks or encouraging exploitation in the housing system when trying to outbid others.

Offering a year’s rent upfront as an economic migrant ? No be juju be that!
Anyways, I won’t be surprised when I start hearing 2 years rent upfront angry
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by cigie(m): 6:47am On Oct 06, 2022
Is church marriage certificate enough proof that I'm married to my spouse?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by level10: 7:29am On Oct 06, 2022
justwise:

There is nothing in this story that justifies your claim that white hates blacks.

If you hang around people with this mindset then you will struggle to survive in this country . No race is perfect, look for something positive in people and not always focus on negative and conspiracy theories.

Are we blacks love and care for each other?

Good luck

I was born here in the late 80’s and lived here for 3years before being sent back to Nigeria,God bless my parents ,a railway engineer and nurse .They would Later move home in 2007 after 27years .

Justwise You show a lot of ignorance when you dismiss people’s experiences and give advice based on margins of your beliefs.
I said what I said.Even with a Brit pass,we are lowest rated.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Shanid(m): 7:58am On Oct 06, 2022
LagosismyHome:

Doesn't have to be federal.... any court marriage in asaba is enough. ...when applying the marriage certificate and some pictures should be sufficient

Good morning ma , is it possible for my unmarried partner to join me ? We have no marriage certificate and I applied as single during my application.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Omoluv5: 8:32am On Oct 06, 2022
God bless you for this, I really appreciate it.

mohtunrahyor:

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Omoluv5: 8:34am On Oct 06, 2022
No, about to commence POF... Thanks

AlphaUno:

Oh! Thought they already had it when you talking about bringing them over

(1) (2) (3) ... (643) (644) (645) (646) (647) (648) (649) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.