Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,993 members, 7,817,929 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:11 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (652) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1179617 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (649) (650) (651) (652) (653) (654) (655) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by claremont(m): 11:20pm On Oct 07, 2022
Amarathripple0:

Lol with the way the UK educational system is set up, people will fail woefully. With 20 hours people are still failing. That said, 40 hours go soft sha. They should also stop being wicked and make our student visa count to 5 years ILR sad

Agreed. In my past experience in the NE, my main 20 hour a week job as a student 10 years ago was a night job in a bread factory. A job that involved standing all night, except on breaks, packing bread. When you get to the postgraduate student hostel the next day, you will feel like you have been run over by a truck. You have to get some sleep, have breakfast and get ready for classes/presentations/assignments etc. It was a struggle even on 20 hours/week work and it will be an even bigger struggle on 40 hours/week. If you pay a lot of money from Nigeria for a postgraduate degree in the UK, the least you can aim for is a distinction grade at the end.

11 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Skolex5: 11:21pm On Oct 07, 2022
jadepinkett:
Anybody need pounds here?

RATE , I need 2k
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by leef2022: 11:22pm On Oct 07, 2022
AlphaUno:

U-turn might be unlikely if the British public supports it. One can only hope they won’t tamper with the policy as it is.

The economic situation, bad showing of £ against the $ and the public pressure ensure the swift U-turn in the tax cut of the mini budget.

There would still be economical effects if PSW is removed, moreso in your words landlords/ladies[b][/b] won't see monies for "mortgage deposits"...

The bolded get mouths too..

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 11:25pm On Oct 07, 2022
claremont:

Agreed. In my past experience in the NE, my main 20 hour a week job as a student 10 years ago was a night job in a bread factory. A job that involved standing all night, except on breaks, packing bread. When you get to the postgraduate student hostel the next day, you will feel like you have been run over by a truck. You have to get some sleep, have breakfast and get ready for classes/presentations/assignments etc. It was a struggle even on 20 hours/week work and it will be an even bigger struggle on 40 hours/week. If you pay a lot of money from Nigeria for a postgraduate degree in the UK, the least you can aim for is a distinction grade at the end.

No excuses........... grin

Which can only be achieved, if one's financial burden is NIL .........

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Skolex5: 11:36pm On Oct 07, 2022
How true pls
Am on the verge of paying deposit .
And I am going with my wife as dependent.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by nellaluv(f): 11:44pm On Oct 07, 2022
wallg123:
If there are cameras at the red lights in question it’s 3 points and fine. No waiver whatsoever.
Thanks a lot for your response

Lexusgs430:

None .......

Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by penurypredator(m): 11:44pm On Oct 07, 2022
EmeeNaka:
Hello Guys!

Please, for those that have insured their cars in the UK, please how did you get cheap insurance?
I have tried Marshmallow, Admiralty, elephants, RACs but I do get a high fee. I have reduced my annual mileage, uses international Drivers license. Please, if you know what I need to do, please let me know.
Thanks very much
Paid £1606 2days back when I did mine and the cover includes driving in EU. It’s a 2020 SUV and I was very suprised to see the price as well. Was getting £1150 or so for black box but I wasn’t open to being monitored for 1yr and I didn’t take it.
If it helps, register on compare the market, then on the same browser you should have AutoTrader open, that way when you’re browsing for cars, you get to see the insurance cost straight away (I’ll gladly explain more on this if it’s confusing with the way I explained).
However, people say adding another driver brings down the cost but I think that’s illegal if the other person won’t be driving at all.
Furthermore, the same insurance would cost £4791 if I was staying in SE London but I don’t live in London anymore but I edited address to see how that influences the price. And my insurance also covers me when I’m driving other people’s car.
Finally, don’t include breakdown cover when you take out the insurance. I got a breakdown cover for under £17 with pinginsure. And my insurance provider is Esure.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 1:20am On Oct 08, 2022
Skolex5:
How true pls

Lmao, this looks like a fake WhatsApp broadcast to stop more people from trooping in. It’s definitely false. Whilst there are concerns from some immigrants in power, there are also plans to further ease the immigration rules. So please ignore it and continue with your plans.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by giselle237: 3:39am On Oct 08, 2022
Omoluv5:
Okay, but is it true that your passport must have a minimum of 6months validity before you can gain entry into the UK? This is where my confusion lies, if it doesn't matter, then we're better off renewing in the UK...
someone already responded to you with accurate information. There is no 6 months anything. As long as they get the visas before passport expiry and they successfully travel, then nothing to fear. Remember with renewing here they’ll need NIN and for each child costs 30 pounds but this can be done in Nigeria for free.. so best to get that before coming here.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 5:28am On Oct 08, 2022
penurypredator:

Paid £1606 2days back when I did mine and the cover includes driving in EU. It’s a 2020 SUV and I was very suprised to see the price as well. Was getting £1150 or so for black box but I wasn’t open to being monitored for 1yr and I didn’t take it.
If it helps, register on compare the market, then on the same browser you should have AutoTrader open, that way when you’re browsing for cars, you get to see the insurance cost straight away (I’ll gladly explain more on this if it’s confusing with the way I explained).
However, people say adding another driver brings down the cost but I think that’s illegal if the other person won’t be driving at all.
Furthermore, the same insurance would cost £4791 if I was staying in SE London but I don’t live in London anymore but I edited address to see how that influences the price. And my insurance also covers me when I’m driving other people’s car.
Finally, don’t include breakdown cover when you take out the insurance. I got a breakdown cover for under £17 with pinginsure. And my insurance provider is Esure.
Interesting
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 7:18am On Oct 08, 2022
Skolex5:
How true pls

Its a not true LOL
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AlphaUno: 8:44am On Oct 08, 2022
leef2022:

There would still be economical effects if PSW is removed, moreso in your words landlords/ladies[b][/b] won't see monies for "mortgage deposits"...

The bolded get mouths too..

Sure, there would be adverse effects on the ordinary citizens (small businesses, landlords etc),the government (reduced revenue) and schools (International students will look elsewhere).
Already, the schools are complaining of low patronage from home students; reason for increased foreign student enrolment.

UK hasn’t really been fair to students. After spending so much, they just yank you off their system. Don’t they know education is a form of investment?

Mind you, there is a silent competition among these developed countries on enticing talents to their economies. That’s why they keep coming up with different immigration friendly policies

The UK is in a dilemma presently - failing economy, labour shortages in key sectors, the need to compete globally, ageing population etc and yet they have to source for the manpower elsewhere w/o high immigrant influx.
And they still want to milk these incoming immigrants of funds

I think, they should first secure their borders to discourage illegal immigrants while providing enabling environment for legal immigrants.

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by cliffjohnson: 8:58am On Oct 08, 2022
Good morning, family. Please assist me, I am currently in the UK on a tier 4 visa, I met a lady who is a British citizen, and we are thinking of getting married in the UK, but my concern is how long the notice of marriage will take before I get approval from the home office, or will travelling back to Nigeria for the wedding be much better... Please assist anyone who has gone through this process. Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 9:39am On Oct 08, 2022
Suella Baverman, a migrant herself from Africa (more of the India side of Kenya & Mauritius), as I know tilts more on the Theresa May beliefs/approach. However, she also understand the dynamics and hence I don't see her acting harshly or eroding the voting block! Lemme leave it there and sway from 'politics'.

[PS: a bit of edit due to Viruses comment]
Most of these (images, posted, group chats, tweets ...) flying around (some of which are shared here), are recycling of previous groups and blogs from earlier this year (mostly from May). Hence, one will see/notice that they (flying around now) are not dated. They feeds on humans' hedonic psychology: ditto in 9ja politics!!!
www.quora.com/Is-the-UK-canceling-a-2-year-PSW-post-study-work-visa-for-international-students
PS: Cancelling PSW by the way, 'was as it was' around a decade ago!
www.studyinternational.com/news/uk-post-study-work-visa/

As in one of our language, o nrubọ ... There're inkling. There're hush, hush. Can it or will it happen. You all are already discussing that here with valid points and historical facts. I need not dwell on 'em.

The view from 'across' the bridge on 05 Oct (this week), provides a bit of glimpse into the undertones from the Conservative conf of the day earlier.
www.viewfromabridge.org/tag/poststudywork/
With a bit of hint on how Border UK will shape in coming months, it sure provides fertile ground for sensations and speculating. More so, Suella herself did not help matters; she kind of spoke with tongue in the cheek, kind of implicit rather than explicit (as she did regarding asylum and illegal migration).
A copy of her speech at her party's conf is here: www.ukpol.co.uk/suella-braverman-2022-speech-to-conservative-party-conference/
[Extract]
My other mission is to control our borders.
Firstly, legal migration.
... ...
But the truth is parts of our system aren’t delivering. We need to end the abuse of the rules and cut down on those numbers that aren’t meeting the needs of our economy.
And we mustn’t forget how to do things for ourselves. There is absolutely no reason why we can’t train up enough of our own HGV drivers, butchers, or fruit-pickers.
The way we will build a high-skilled and high-wage economy is by encouraging business to invest in capital and domestic labour. Not relying wholly on low-skilled foreign workers.
This isn’t just about policy or economics for me. It’s intensely personal. My parents came here in the 1960s from Kenya and Mauritius.
... ...
It’s not xenophobic to say that mass and rapid migration places pressure on housing, public services and community relations.
I reject the Left’s argument that it is hypocritical for someone from an ethnic minority to tell these truths.
My parents came here through legal and controlled migration. They spoke the language, threw themselves into the community, they embraced British values. When they arrived, they signed up to be part of our shared project because the United Kingdom meant something distinct. Integration was part of the quid pro quo.
That didn’t mean abandoning their heritage, but it did mean adopting British identity. ... ...
I saw this when I went to Leicester recently. A melting pot of cultures and a beacon of religious harmony. But even there, riots and civil disorder have taken place because of failures to integrate large numbers of newcomers. Such conflict has no place in the UK.
We cannot as a people be cowed into fear by vocal minorities who attempt to undermine our common sense instincts. And as Home Secretary, I will make sure that Prevent is fit for purpose.
The law-abiding majority deserve nothing less.

[End Extract]

Be it as it may, in my own view, should the rug be pulled off PSW, I don't see it happening before 2025! PS: don't take me word for it. It's just my hunch, my feel.

Skolex5:
How true pls
hustla:
Its a not true LOL
LagosismyHome:
Lawsuit will fly left and right...the UK never behave like that . If they remove it , it would be for incoming student not those already here
justwise:
[/b] They did that in 2012 but i did not hear of any lawsuit
justwise:
[/b] That can only be fair..i hope they give prospective students a enough warning before implementing it .

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jadepinkett(f): 9:43am On Oct 08, 2022
AgentXxx:
How many and rate? I may be interested

The one I have right now has finished.
May be doing another batch next week?
Are you interested?
Rate will be determined then.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Omoluv5: 9:51am On Oct 08, 2022
Crystal clear! Thanks abunch!

giselle237:
someone already responded to you with accurate information. There is no 6 months anything. As long as they get the visas before passport expiry and they successfully travel, then nothing to fear. Remember with renewing here they’ll need NIN and for each child costs 30 pounds but this can be done in Nigeria for free.. so best to get that before coming here.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 11:00am On Oct 08, 2022
LagosismyHome:

No they didn't.... that was my brother set. They stopped it for incoming but allowed the current set have PSW

Yes it did affect some students especially those Jan starters
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 11:19am On Oct 08, 2022
semmyk:
Suella Baverman, a migrant herself from Africa (more of the India side of Kenya & Mauritius), as I know tilts more on the Theresa May beliefs/approach. However, she also understand the dynamics and hence I don't see her acting harshly or eroding the voting block! Lemme leave it there and sway from 'politics'.

Most of these flying around are recycling of previous groups and blogs from May. Hence, one will not they are not dated. They feeds on hedonic psychology of human.
When you type finish, read your writeup before you click submit.

After clicking submit, read your post and edit where necessary.

You're not communicating.

8 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 12:14pm On Oct 08, 2022
Thanks. Appreciated.
Just so that Viruses will not implant Trojans into the post or introduced self-propagating words or trigger-happy malware, I've done the needful cheesy wink cheesy
[PS: I wrote from a 'third-eye' angle]
Viruses:

When you type finish, read your writeup before you click submit.
After clicking submit, read your post and edit where necessary.
You're not communicating.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 12:37pm On Oct 08, 2022
claremont:

Exactly! Can’t spend that much only to fail.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ybahrbz91: 2:01pm On Oct 08, 2022
Good Afternoon Everyone

Reviews on Vodafone Broadband or Sky Broadband??

Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by adedapodvirus001(m): 2:23pm On Oct 08, 2022
Hello everyone, please I need your input on this.

My employer issued me a COS but on the tier and category section it says " Skilled worker ( change of employment - ISC liable) " but I'm only switching from tier 4 dependant to skilled work. Though I raised a point with the HR person that the tier and category seems wrong but the told me that they only saw three options which are Leave, change of employment and extension and the change of employment is the only option they thought is relevant to me. Should I proceed to apply with that COS or I should press further for a correction on the COS?

I look forward to your prompt response
Thank you very much.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mohtunrahyor(f): 3:16pm On Oct 08, 2022
adedapodvirus001:

My employer issued me a COS but on the tier and category section it says " Skilled worker ( change of employment - ISC liable) " but I'm only switching from tier 4 dependant to skilled work. Though I raised a point with the HR person that the tier and category seems wrong but the told me that they only saw three options which are Leave, change of employment and extension and the change of employment is the only option they thought is relevant to me. Should I proceed to apply with that COS or I should press further for a correction on the COS?

Thank you very much.

As a student (Tier 4) dependent switching to skilled worker visa, your employer need to pay Immigration skill charge (ISC). You should have Tier and Category as : Skilled Worker (Switching immigration category - ISC Liable)

N.B Employers do not pay ISC if a student is switching to skilled worker visa.

7 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DeeOneBangin: 5:03pm On Oct 08, 2022
adedapodvirus001:

Thank you very much.

this is what it should look like

3 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kode12: 5:09pm On Oct 08, 2022
ybahrbz91:
Good Afternoon Everyone

Thank you

Go with virgin if it’s available in your area. Far better offering and great speed. If you got a big house or apartment you’ll get up to 3 Wi-Fi boosters for free which is a good deal IMO.
PM if you want to get a £50 in your opening.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 5:26pm On Oct 08, 2022
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 5:39pm On Oct 08, 2022
ybahrbz91:
Good Afternoon Everyone

Thank you

Depends largely on your location. I use Vodafone, absolutely no complaints! But don't know of your location.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mamatukwas: 6:49pm On Oct 08, 2022
Good people,

In the midst of this housing shortage is there any one that can help with family housing in the Birmingham/Worcester/ Hereford area.

Family is very open. Students but able to do the needful as required. Solid references available.

If you can help or know who can please just let me know and I’ll be in your dm with the quickness! Thank you.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (649) (650) (651) (652) (653) (654) (655) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.