Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,653 members, 7,820,271 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:24 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (700) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1182522 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (697) (698) (699) (700) (701) (702) (703) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 4:23am On Oct 31, 2022
Work experience bawo? You've never worked before or you are not currently employed?

Do the following

1. Register to be listed on the electoral roll for the UK
2. Get your provisional driver's license
3. Get your National insurance number
4. Rework your CV
5. Get a job
6. Apply for credit card - Amex/BA... Search here for the links

All the best

Folabifreeman:
How do you apply for credit card as an international student with no work experience

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 4:24am On Oct 31, 2022
Yes I see that but I wan pay small small to further boost my credit score cheesy

justwise:

Ok, you can get brand new for less than £300
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Estroller: 5:24am On Oct 31, 2022
Folabifreeman:
How do you apply for credit card as an international student with no work experience

Try amex with the link below, approval rate is generally high, don't know about the no work experience bit though. If you are successful with the application, please use your card with utmost care. Good luck.

https://americanexpress.com/en-gb/referral/oLUWAoIaVU?XL=MNMNS

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Estroller: 5:31am On Oct 31, 2022
bigtt76:
@Lexusgs430 @justwise Please aside device contract with the mobile operators, where else can one get a phone buy on contract? For context, I got a good sim-only contract with my operator but they don't offer the phone type I'm looking for - Xiaomi? Klarna say dem nor fit find me cheesy

Also what advantage if any buying from the operator over an independent source?

I was going to suggest carphone warehouse (got a generous deal with them recently via topcashback) but it seems they do credit check before offering contract. You might explore the option of outright purchase with the generous discount on offer through topcashback. I got like £200+ back in cashbacks from topcashback and carphone warehouse themselves for a device I bought at £450 on a 0% purchase credit card. Not a bad deal at all I presume. wink

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 5:39am On Oct 31, 2022
Folabifreeman:

Apply for a student bank account, from traditional banks ............

Then apply for a student credit card....... The requirements are usually lenient, but you must be on the voters register........

It also generally starts with a low credit limit (possibly £500)...... Then gradually increases, after your bank thinks you understand money management......... cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Estroller: 6:17am On Oct 31, 2022
Lexusgs430:

https://custodianplc.com.ng/custodian-life-assurance-limited

Thanks again for this, the maximum they offer is still 92 consecutive days. Any hack to get cover beyond this?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by yolkman20: 7:29am On Oct 31, 2022
Thanks so much. I'll definitely get a job before moving. I've got a few gigs for a 2months contract already in Birmingham starting in November but I don't know which to go for because I wanted to be sure of where to move to.

Amarathripple0:

I don’t know a lot about Birmingham and how safe it is. However, I think you should explore the option of getting a job first before moving as your job is site dependent unlike your wife’s job which she can do remotely. Most of the open BA roles that I have seen are either fully remote or hybrid. So do not limit your search to a particular city based on her role. As for yours, be open to a wide range of location because with a lot of construction companies, their head office might be in London or Reading but you would have to travel all over the UK to client sites to execute.

These companies below are always hiring, so checkout their LinkedIn and Website for job updates.

https://www.gensler.com/
https://www.balfourbeatty.com/
https://www.kier.co.uk/
https://www.gallifordtry.co.uk/
https://www.macegroup.com/

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by yolkman20: 7:31am On Oct 31, 2022
AirBay:

Crime no dy London...Birmingham is good, constructions throughout the year.

Move to Birmingham and enjoy a quality life.

Manchester, Leeds, Sheffield are great as well.

Thanks so much. I've been considering that Leeds as well.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by yolkman20: 7:35am On Oct 31, 2022
I actually don't want to be too far from London. Some weekend side gigs shows up occasionally. Half day and £250minimum is sure. I'm not sure that kind level fit dey those up north. So if I'm in Birmingham, I can easily drive down to do them.

hustla:

Following with interest so I can learn a bit more about Birmingham

Why not choose Manchester then? Leeds always appears before Manchester as a top place when i search though smiley
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Adrenaline123(m): 9:57am On Oct 31, 2022
Hello bosses, please is there anyway to link my BVN to my email without going to any Nigerian branch, I am in the UK now, and I want to generate Form A for the first time.

Cc: justwise
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Phayie(m): 10:25am On Oct 31, 2022
£1=N892 with this pace pounds is ready to hit 1k

I use Lemonade Finance to send money to Africa. You get 10.00 GBP when you verify your account and send over 100.00 GBP with my referral link - https://referral.lemonade.finance/invite/cZuH
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Santa2: 11:14am On Oct 31, 2022
Amarathripple0:

Oh wow, that must have been annoying. Thanks a lot. I guess I have nothing to worry about then.

Recent timelines now are over a month though, know someone that applied 3rd week in september and yet to receive, and some others 2 weeks ago same thing. so fingers crossed.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 11:22am On Oct 31, 2022
Santa2:

Recent timelines now are over a month though, know someone that applied 3rd week in september and yet to receive, and some others 2 weeks ago same thing. so fingers crossed.
Wow that’s ridiculous, maybe they are short staffed. Fingers crossed
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rab4sure: 12:09pm On Oct 31, 2022
Buy a clipper or bring your head over

Greathand01:
Please help o..where can I get affordable haircut in Liverpool....my head aches seriously..just normal lowcut...All these oyinbos around are saying £20
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 12:26pm On Oct 31, 2022
Phayie:
£1=N892 with this pace pounds is ready to hit 1k

I use Lemonade Finance to send money to Africa. You get 10.00 GBP when you verify your account and send over 100.00 GBP with my referral link - https://referral.lemonade.finance/invite/cZuH

shocked

This new policy they introduced with the returning of naira to banks will eventually kill off the naira as it stands

Hopefully things getter better cos i Know aboki rate will be more than 892
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by haywhy80: 2:42pm On Oct 31, 2022
Hello great gentlemen and ladies here.

I would like to find out if anyone is providing a guarantor service for house leasing. I'll appreciate a swift response.

Thank you.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Haykhay: 2:59pm On Oct 31, 2022
Hello, please any one in newcastle that can help out? My sister just relocated and has been finding it difficult to find a place to stay. If you can link her up with an agent or something so she can be able to rent an apartment. I’ll really appreciate it. Thank you �
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by fatima04: 3:39pm On Oct 31, 2022
@yolkman, Birmingham is a good choice to pick in terms of construction jobs. There are lots of activities going on throughout the area and some. With your local experience try Hs2 roles with EKFB, Balfour Beatty and Vinci etc.

You are bound to find something quickly. It also quite accessible to London via trains and kind of average when it comes to living expenses.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 3:49pm On Oct 31, 2022
Sounds good but how does the Topcashback work? Minds explaining more on this?

Estroller:

I was going to suggest carphone warehouse (got a generous deal with them recently via topcashback) but it seems they do credit check before offering contract. You might explore the option of outright purchase with the generous discount on offer through topcashback. I got like £200+ back in cashbacks from topcashback and carphone warehouse themselves for a device I bought at £450 on a 0% purchase credit card. Not a bad deal at all I presume. wink
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Pearlyfaze: 4:09pm On Oct 31, 2022
Haykhay:
Hello, please any one in newcastle that can help out? My sister just relocated and has been finding it difficult to find a place to stay. If you can link her up with an agent or something so she can be able to rent an apartment. I’ll really appreciate it. Thank you �

Send a PM.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Pearlyfaze: 4:15pm On Oct 31, 2022
Good afternoon Senior Men and Women.

Please I need advise and Direction on Life Insurance Cover.

My worries (May not be a genuine one But na still something i do think about).

What if person no kpai before 80, them go still reason the payment to my beneficiaries?.
I am asking because i have agreed to stay here for 120years in sharp mind and body.

Do they pay out the Cover on expiration of the term assuming the unexpected nor gree happen.

Please help clear me on this
grin grin grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 4:21pm On Oct 31, 2022
hustla:

shocked

This new policy they introduced with the returning of naira to banks will eventually kill off the naira as it stands

LOL now 901 on lemonade
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Phayie(m): 4:41pm On Oct 31, 2022
You might be right because
£1=N901

hustla:

shocked

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rinzylee(m): 4:46pm On Oct 31, 2022
Good advice from our predecessor on this forum.

Thanks for all the Good job.

Will also try to be an active participant to also help others with advices that has worked well for me or people around me.

[/quote

Congrats ....oya drop for boys...thank you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dustydee: 4:49pm On Oct 31, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Haba, you forget say I get 3 pickins and a wife......... cheesy
Remember you adopted me in part 1 of this thread . . . cool
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ceeybee: 4:58pm On Oct 31, 2022
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Adrenaline123(m): 5:07pm On Oct 31, 2022
Abeg make una help me,

Please is there anyway to link my BVN to my email without going to any Nigerian branch, I am in the UK now, and I want to generate Form A for the first time.

Cc: justwise
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by MichaelUde: 5:33pm On Oct 31, 2022
Pearlyfaze:
Good afternoon Senior Men and Women.

Please I need advise and Direction on Life Insurance Cover.

My worries (May not be a genuine one But na still something i do think about).

What if person no kpai before 80, them go still reason the payment to my beneficiaries?.
I am asking because i have agreed to stay here for 120years in sharp mind and body.

Do they pay out the Cover on expiration of the term assuming the unexpected nor gree happen.

Please help clear me on this
grin grin grin

You no wan make the insurance companies make money? wink
If you still dey when your life insurance term expires, your insurance company keeps your money.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Estroller: 6:18pm On Oct 31, 2022
bigtt76:
Sounds good but how does the Topcashback work? Minds explaining more on this?

Go to topcashback website and look for your desired merchant, check the cashbacks available from them, make a choice and go to the merchant's website from there. Topcashback will record your sale and payout your cashback when your sale if confirmed.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AlphaUno: 7:20pm On Oct 31, 2022
@Adrenaline123
You have to know someone who know someone that knows someone in the bank you use.
It is doable from here.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 7:53pm On Oct 31, 2022
Something light to ease the Monday blues

https://www.instagram.com/p/CkX32WBriI0/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Adrenaline123(m): 8:09pm On Oct 31, 2022
AlphaUno:

@Adrenaline123
You have to know someone who know someone that knows someone in the bank you use.
It is doable from here.

Ok bro, thanks a lot

(1) (2) (3) ... (697) (698) (699) (700) (701) (702) (703) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.