Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,781 members, 7,820,730 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:23 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (720) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1182796 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (717) (718) (719) (720) (721) (722) (723) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 5:58pm On Nov 15, 2022
Solumtoya:

Moneybox.

These are neither sponsored nor Financial Advice but based on experience.

grin

Cracked me up

Thanks!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 6:02pm On Nov 15, 2022
Thastie:
So there are Ghanaians in my workplace and the annoying thing is they all want to compare their country with Nigeria at every opportunity. Its annoying. They'll be the first one to tell me about Nigerians that lost their kids or are in the country illegally...just to gloat. It's really pissing me off. Whenever they do comparison, I just tell them Nigeria has 36 states so what part of Nigeria are you referring to?

And the most annoying thing is Nigerians at my workplace are so dominated and defeated, they don't even argue, they just accept it.

Have you met the ones from Cameroon? grin
Its as if they have this inferiority complex when they meet Nigerians, it cant be explained

I wont say dominated and defeated cos I rarely argue, I just laugh and jump and pass. The shalaye is not worth my time

Sticks are only thrown at relevant, fruit producing trees and no be every dog wey dey bark you go pay mind to wink

8 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rinzylee(m): 7:15pm On Nov 15, 2022
Solumtoya:

You don't risk so much, which is why I said put £1 or more and don't wait till you "haff balance" so the 1 year starts counting. Secondly, even if you change your mind and want your money back, the 25% penalty is almost the same 25% the Government gave you, remember? Of course it's more (Mathematics).

Actually on the contrary, you pay a penalty of 25% on the total amount in your ISA.

So say you deposited 4k, government gives you 25% of £4k which is £1000, and you get to have £5K. If you decide to withdraw 4k for any other reason save clocking 60+ years, buying a house or a terminal illness, then you will pay a 25% penalty on the total [/b]of your contribution [b]£4K + 25% of 4K from government which = £1K , this means you end up paying £1,250 as penalty.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 7:42pm On Nov 15, 2022
rinzylee:

Actually on the contrary, you pay a penalty of 25% on the total amount in your ISA.

So say you deposited 4k, government gives you 25% of £4k which is £1000, and you get to have £5K. If you decide to withdraw 4k for any other reason save clocking 60+ years, buying a house or a terminal illness, then you will pay a 25% penalty on the total [/b]of your contribution [b]£4K + 25% of 4K from government which = £1K , this means you end up paying £1,250 as penalty.

Please read the last two sentences again. I clearly stated it would be more, the mathematics I put in brackets is what you have just shown, thanks.

The idea of a LISA is for a house, retirement, terminal illness, etc. not for withdrawing randomly, the "L" means Lifetime. I don't know how else to explain that, if you want to buy your first house, getting a 25% bump is a great deal on your savings.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by HiddenID(m): 8:12pm On Nov 15, 2022
Good evening all,

Has anyone had an experience with rescheduling biometrics capture for Nigerian passport in London please?

I booked biometrics for 19th September and after a few weeks, it was announced as a public holiday for the Queen's burial. I've been trying to pick a new date since then but each time I reschedule, it allows me to pick future dates but then defaults to the past date again.

I have been calling the NHC numbers but haven't been able to reach anyone, no response to emails either.

I will really appreciate some advice on this.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by NevaUgivup: 8:51pm On Nov 15, 2022
Thastie:
So there are Ghanaians in my workplace and the annoying thing is they all want to compare their country with Nigeria at every opportunity. Its annoying.
And the most annoying thing is Nigerians at my workplace are so dominated and defeated, they don't even argue, they just accept it.
Some people don't waste their energy on irrelevant arguments.

I try to apply the rules of Circle of Influence/Concern before engaging in arguments.

I ignore loads of petty arguments unless I'm out drinking

8 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 9:09pm On Nov 15, 2022
Solumtoya:

Please read the last two sentences again. I clearly stated it would be more, the mathematics I put in brackets is what you have just shown, thanks.

The idea of a LISA is for a house, retirement, terminal illness, etc. not for withdrawing randomly, the "L" means Lifetime. I don't know how else to explain that, if you want to buy your first house, getting a 25% bump is a great deal on your savings.

Cash Lifetime ISA yeah?
I'm on moneybox
smiley
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by tushqueen(f): 9:35pm On Nov 15, 2022
HollyMadison:
Hi elders. Please can you recommend a blender for beans? i.e akara and moi moi

Ninja
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ProfJYK(m): 10:36pm On Nov 15, 2022
rinzylee:
Away from problems and worries......can we catch the brighter side of life in this UK once again??

Biko someone should share a vacation story or a recent achievement here.

UK appears to be quite lax on immigration checks.. I was shocked no one talked to me from Gate 5. I felt funny.

Has anyone toured the whole shengen countries here? I dey reason am wink cheesy

The brighter side is very important. Before person head start to touch.

On the immigration checks, I believe a lot is done in the background. Returning from Naija on my last trip, there was nothing in my 6 bags that hadn't been opened. Everything had a pin prick leak.

They scan... watch on CCTV... profile randomly and selectively while trying not to hold up the lines at the points of entry.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by lightnlife: 10:47pm On Nov 15, 2022
Okay. Thanks.

Yes, I have other records.

My score has been 422 since June. cheesy Got the card to boost my credit score. Really hoping it'll give it a push.

I realised my report/score aren't available on any other credit agent except Clearscore. It's also available on TransUnion. Is this anything to worry about?

Solumtoya:

It could take a few months but hope uou have other records outside AMEX? Like Electoral Register, Utility bills direct debits, Bank Accounts, etc

Thanks, Baba Lexus.

Lexusgs430:

Don't worry, AMEX would report your credit file.......

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Tinyemeka(m): 11:34pm On Nov 15, 2022
LagosismyHome:

Yes I saw one... the new people haven't sorted accommodation so employer gave a room aka accomodation. The new employees turns up and see 4 people have been allocated to share this one room

So 4 unrelated people who don't know each other from Adam are told to share a double bed and now the employer is giving them a shift of 12hours but only paying 6 hours. This just slavery and has becoming an annoying trap .the lady who been there for 5-months said nobody to complain or they cancel your cos so all working 12 hours and been paid 6

https://www.antislavery.org/slavery-today/slavery-uk/
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by skarlet: 11:41pm On Nov 15, 2022
A family of five who've been in the UK for a month, desperately looking for a 2-3bd apartment in Birmingham or close environs.

Please help if you know any ��
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rinzylee(m): 12:12am On Nov 16, 2022
ProfJYK:

The brighter side is very important. Before person head start to touch.

On the immigration checks, I believe a lot is done in the background. Returning from Naija on my last trip, there was nothing in my 6 bags that hadn't been opened. Everything had a pin prick leak.

They scan... watch on CCTV... profile randomly and selectively while trying not to hold up the lines at the points of entry.

Oh yeah, this may just be the perfect explanation. Because, I used to take UK police and intelligence for granted till I watched some movies and documentaries which led me into some kind of research.

Men, the country no dey play o..... they are not noisy like USA, but they will sniff you out silently.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by lavida001: 12:15am On Nov 16, 2022
HiddenID:
Good evening all,

Has anyone had an experience with rescheduling biometrics capture for Nigerian passport in London please?

I booked biometrics for 19th September and after a few weeks, it was announced as a public holiday for the Queen's burial. I've been trying to pick a new date since then but each time I reschedule, it allows me to pick future dates but then defaults to the past date again.

I have been calling the NHC numbers but haven't been able to reach anyone, no response to emails either.

I will really appreciate some advice on this.

Join the Nigeian passport group on NairaLand. May might find the solution there

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Evagreenfields: 12:54am On Nov 16, 2022
Ninja 3-in-1 Food Processor and Blender with Auto-iQ [BN800UK] 1200W, 1.8 L Bowl, 2.1L Jug, 0.7 L Cup, Black/Silver https://amzn.eu/d/eOzy6ji

HollyMadison:

Please do you have a picture, name, model number etc? There are lots of ninja blenders

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by giselle237: 3:35am On Nov 16, 2022
HiddenID:
Good evening all,

when u pick the new date and it clears u, make a screenshot immediately and print out. Just take that to the high commission.. do not go back to log in as the past appointment will keep coming up when you re-log in. Just go with the new screenshot showing the new date

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 3:51am On Nov 16, 2022
Thastie:

In your shoes, I would do this as well, no need to be defensive or try to prove points. They are only seeking validation in areas they think Ghana is better. If you tell them "I agree" one, two, three times, soon they will start to look stupid with such arguments.

Imagine you arguing with a British that power supply is better in Nigeria than UK, silence from the British person will be more painful than arguments.

Exceptions are when insults or derogatory comments sets in e.g Nigerians are corrupt or are illegal immigrants, I will give it to you hot and avoid you afterwards because you are an enemy.

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 6:57am On Nov 16, 2022
While elder Lexusgs430 is on sabbatical, let us chip in. I'll be brand neutral, hence not specific.
Look for blender that is 3HP (about 2.2KW) engine rating. Any 2000W should do as well. Exception is if there're other defects like the one pointed out here #leak
NB: 1000W would work great for a while but would soon buckle under load or repeated use.
HollyMadison:

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 7:00am On Nov 16, 2022
YouKay life is not BUGA. It is focus, strategy and purpose. Yes, we all need to wind down often!
Thastie:
So there are Ghanaians in my workplace and the annoying thing is they all want to compare their country with Nigeria at every opportunity. Its annoying. They'll be the first one to tell me about Nigerians that lost their kids or are in the country illegally...just to gloat. It's really pissing me off. Whenever they do comparison, I just tell them Nigeria has 36 states so what part of Nigeria are you referring to?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by zxxtx: 9:49am On Nov 16, 2022
Hi everyone, something happened in my house recently, there was a leakage that soaked the pop, and it fell on my head, it happened on Sunday, my landlady said pay half of next rent, she'll fix it this week. Today is Wednesday nothing has been done, she is telling me that the laborer's van is in the shop which doesn't make any sense to me. My work is very tough and I come back to sleep on the couch in the common room with no privacy, wake up with body pains I think I am taken for granted. What can I do?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Whizkay(m): 10:11am On Nov 16, 2022
Do you get a new receipt when you get a refund for IHS?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Oluwakemisola2: 10:32am On Nov 16, 2022
1 bedroom available in a three bedroom apartment for rent

£450 per month
Furnished /Bills inclusive

For short let in Glasgow

Preferably Single lady Please

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Tinyemeka(m): 2:00pm On Nov 16, 2022
rinzylee:
Away from problems and worries......can we catch the brighter side of life in this UK once again??

Biko someone should share a vacation story or a recent achievement here.

Meanwhile....I enjoy watching border patrol whenever NHS donates some part of my 5 year hustle to me grin.... those Australian and New Zealand border guys no dey play o. USA is hard on food scrutiny.

UK appears to be quite lax on immigration checks.. I was shocked no one talked to me from Gate 5. I felt funny.

Has anyone toured the whole shengen countries here? I dey reason am wink cheesy

I came in with 2 travelling bags and 4 Ghana-must-go bags. The GMG bags were filled with mangala, stock fish, 5 litres of palm oil, uziza, okazi, dried onugbu, crayfish, dried fish, kpomo, Garri, beans and other food items enough to feed 100 people at an owambe. I'll attempt the stunt again the next time I visit home.

The only people who gave me a bit of a hassle were the Customs and NDLEA at Nnamdi Azikiwe. That's all.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Tinyemeka(m): 2:15pm On Nov 16, 2022
Solumtoya:
One more thing, please forgive my too much talk.

Please open a Lifetime ISA, and fund it with at least £1. Do it now and I will try and explain.

CONS: You can't take your money out of it without a 25% penalty unless you're retiring or paying for your first home or leaving the Country permanently, I think

PROS: Government gives you a 25% bonus up to £4,000 contribution. So if a Husband and wife put £4k each in March, they get £2k. If they put another £4k each in May (which is a new year), they get another £2k. So, in a space of few months, they just got £4,000 that they can use for their first home or retirement. Depending on your provider, you might even get more interests outside the 25%.
(Mathematics).

Thanks a lot for the exposé.

I'm about to open a LISA on Moneybox and I'm always careful to avoid anything that smells like Public Funds, to avoid stories that touch.

I need to confirm please: Hope the 25% bonus paid by the Govt to our LISA contribution will not be viewed as Public Funds?

Thanks once again.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rinzylee(m): 2:18pm On Nov 16, 2022
Tinyemeka:

I came in with 2 travelling bags and 4 Ghana-must-go bags. The GMG bags were filled with mangala, stock fish, 5 litres of palm oil, uziza, okazi, dried onugbu, crayfish, dried fish, kpomo, Garri, beans and other food items enough to feed 100 people at an owambe. I'll attempt the stunt again the next time I visit home.

The only people who gave me a bit of a hassle were the Customs and NDLEA at Nnamdi Azikiwe. That's all.

Hahahaha....laughing out loud here. I had extra luggage of 23kg food alone grin kiss grin grin

Abeg carry go jari....I'd repeat same when I return. I just can't eat the food here. I was selective while in Nigeria, it's worse here.

I flew through Abuja, I didn't really get so much scrutiny. The Hausa customs/immigration boss there...asked them to return all the money they took from me. I was shocked. Nigeria will be better!!!!

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Moji12(f): 2:39pm On Nov 16, 2022
Tinyemeka:

cheesy cheesy cheesy ogini
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Healhtyliving: 3:15pm On Nov 16, 2022
No it’s not public funds
Tinyemeka:

Thanks a lot for the exposé.

I'm about to open a LISA on Moneybox and I'm always careful to avoid anything that smells like Public Funds, to avoid stories that touch.

I need to confirm please: Hope the 25% bonus paid by the Govt to our LISA contribution will not be viewed as Public Funds?

Thanks once again.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Tinyemeka(m): 5:11pm On Nov 16, 2022
rinzylee:

Hahahaha....laughing out loud here. I had extra luggage of 23kg food alone grin kiss grin grin

Abeg carry go jari....I'd repeat same when I return. I just can't eat the food here. I was selective while in Nigeria, it's worse here.

I flew through Abuja, I didn't really get so much scrutiny. The Hausa customs/immigration boss there...asked them to return all the money they took from me. I was shocked. Nigeria will be better!!!!

Honestly, I do not doubt you one bit. The people there seemed quite nice compared to what I used to read online about airport security officials.

In my case, I'd purchased 3 tickets and was a bit wary about using GMG bags based on what I'd read on this thread earlier on. A friend had to call someone working with the airline, who confirmed that I could fly with GMG bags. I also called the airline to confirm their baggage allowance and they told me that each ticket was entitled to 2 pcs of 23kg each in addition to 7kg carryon bags each. Bros my joy knew no bounds.

To top it off, they still added an extra 5kg for me because I'd checked in online within 72 hours of departure.

If you see me that day with all my kaya, you'd think that I had raided a Covid-19 warehouse that was hiding palliatives.

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rinzylee(m): 6:13pm On Nov 16, 2022
Tinyemeka:

In my case, I'd purchased 3 tickets and was a bit wary about using GMG bags based on what I'd read on this thread earlier on. A friend had to call someone working with the airline, who confirmed that I could fly with GMG bags. I also called the airline to confirm their baggage allowance and they told me that each ticket was entitled to 2 pcs of 23kg each in addition to 7kg carryon bags each. Bros my joy knew no bounds.

To top it off, they still added an extra 5kg for me because I'd checked in online within 72 hours of departure.

3 tickets? Ah ah did you move with wife and child? What airline?

BA gave me 2 x 23kg, 12kg hand luggage plus my backpack.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Pearlyfaze: 7:35pm On Nov 16, 2022
HollyMadison:

Ninja to the rescue

(1) (2) (3) ... (717) (718) (719) (720) (721) (722) (723) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.