Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,153 members, 7,815,023 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:16 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (718) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1176526 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (715) (716) (717) (718) (719) (720) (721) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rinzylee(m): 10:46pm On Nov 14, 2022
hustla:

Make e dey go Redeemed churches

Heard them single babes full there wella

grin

grin shocked kiss

Haha
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 10:54pm On Nov 14, 2022
rinzylee:

grin shocked kiss

Haha

grin

Them fit just be feminist
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by cerezo: 11:12pm On Nov 14, 2022
Perhaps she has a US visa. Please confirm from her.

DeeOneBangin:
Just putting this out there;

So a colleague of mine on tier 2 visa traveled to naija and back using KLM. Had a stop over at Amsterdam on both journeys, didn’t have a transit visa.

I know after brexit, only British citizens could fly KLM or Air France or any of these European airlines without a transit visa. I stand to be corrected.

I dunno about any other airline, but she flew KLM to naija and back to the UK and she’s on Tier 2 visa.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Evagreenfields: 11:13pm On Nov 14, 2022
Ninja blender. Works really well

HollyMadison:
Hi elders. Please can you recommend a blender for beans? i.e akara and moi moi

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by cerezo: 11:15pm On Nov 14, 2022
Perhaps she has a valid US visa. Please confirm from her.

DeeOneBangin:

So a colleague of mine on tier 2 visa traveled to naija and back using KLM. Had a stop over at Amsterdam on both journeys, didn’t have a transit visa.

I know after brexit, only British citizens could fly KLM or Air France or any of these European airlines without a transit visa. I stand to be corrected.

I dunno about any other airline, but she flew KLM to naija and back to the UK and she’s on Tier 2 visa.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 11:28pm On Nov 14, 2022
HollyMadison:

https://www.johnlewis.com/ninja-hb150uk-blender-and-soup-maker/p4833209

I bought this and it was quite good in blending beans smoothly , however it didn't last up to a year. It started leaking and would trip off the light .. only for me to read through the reviews and there were several comment on it leaking

So maybe if you buy it won't leak, as not all does ....lol
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DeeOneBangin: 11:30pm On Nov 14, 2022
cerezo:
Perhaps she has a valid US visa. Please confirm from her.

No US visa, no Schengen visa, no other type of visa. The only thing she has is her naija passport and brp.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rinzylee(m): 11:42pm On Nov 14, 2022
shocked
hustla:

Them fit just be feminist

shocked shocked shocked shocked

Eweeee!!!!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Santa2: 11:46pm On Nov 14, 2022
DeeOneBangin:

when I was on student visa I flew KLM to naija and back without transit visa..called the airline several times to confirm before I bought the though
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by nineville(m): 12:37am On Nov 15, 2022
hustla:

Make e dey go Redeemed churches

Heard them single babes full there wella

grin

you so much likie vawulence lipsrsealed
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Geebee5: 1:34am On Nov 15, 2022
kode12:

Take the NHS job. Private sector might pay better, but could also drop you at short notice especially with the current economic situation. With NHS you’re like a tenured professor, na you go tire.

My fear exactly. Job security is top on my list. Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Geebee5: 1:38am On Nov 15, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

Again, just like it used to be back in Nigeria, civil servants have security, so if you get a job with the NHS, barring any serious issues, you can look forward to retiring there. If one wants security and has no risk appetite, the civil service works.

Thanks a lot. This will help me make an informed decision.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Geebee5: 1:42am On Nov 15, 2022
Amarathripple0:

Just know that if you decide to go with the NHS, your destiny won’t be tied to the place, you can always leave in a year plus and go back to the private sector. At the end of the day, do what’s best for you and your wallet.

Thanks. The NHS keeps ticking boxes!

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by descarado: 1:44am On Nov 15, 2022
HollyMadison:
You can try vitamix blenders. Anyone your power reach.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by pheranmie(m): 2:46am On Nov 15, 2022
Good morning my japa members, my japa journey i most confess has been full of up and down and each time I I feel so Disappointed and discouraged on why did I come here but I can say here is better even though it’s has not been easy. Getting here we had issue of accommodation even up til now me,my wife and the new born baby has stay in a room and manage with an Kenyan woman and paying £700 while we have little access to stuffs cause of too much compliant each time we wanna cook she complains of of bill here and there and so we have to cook once a day despite the fact that my wife is breastfeeding though I will be ungrateful if I did not appreciate the fact that she took us in most especially when the social worker was on us and was about to collect our baby because we were staying at travel Logde before the arrival of the child.The situation got more worse when I discovered the home office has made a mistake in the condition of my brp with the present conditions stating no work no engaging in business and I have reported since last month and notin is forthcoming.
Please anyone that can help as regarding

Accommodation (not asking for free) but sometin more better.my wife schools at University of hertfordshire so if I can get sometin within but I won’t mind if it’s far as well as my present place is far as well so I won’t mind and if I can get someone to help on that issue of getting a cash in hand job and any means getting my brp fix I will Still appreciate it .

Thanks in anticipation
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mex551(m): 7:51am On Nov 15, 2022
pheranmie:
Good morning my japa members, my japa journey i most confess has been full of up and down and each time I I feel so Disappointed and discouraged on why did I come here but I can say here is better even though it’s has not been easy. Getting here we had issue of accommodation even up til now me,my wife and the new born baby has stay in a room and manage with an Kenyan woman and paying £700 while we have little access to stuffs cause of too much compliant each time we wanna cook she complains of of bill here and there and so we have to cook once a day despite the fact that my wife is breastfeeding though I will be ungrateful if I did not appreciate the fact that she took us in most especially when the social worker was on us and was about to collect our baby because we were staying at travel Logde before the arrival of the child.The situation got more worse when I discovered the home office has made a mistake in the condition of my brp with the present conditions stating no work no engaging in business and I have reported since last month and notin is forthcoming.

Accommodation (not asking for free) but sometin more better.my wife schools at University of hertfordshire so if I can get sometin within but I won’t mind if it’s far as well as my present place is far as well so I won’t mind and if I can get someone to help on that issue of getting a cash in hand job and any means getting my brp fix I will Still appreciate it .

Thanks in anticipation
. Are u a Christian ? Look for a Church. Winners Chapel, Redemmed , or MFM nearby. I guess you will find help. Be strong , this too shall come and pass

10 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ybahrbz91: 8:40am On Nov 15, 2022
Good morning Everyone

Anyone interested in a room shared apartment in Glasgow. £450/month. All bills inclusive.

Thank you.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DeeOneBangin: 8:58am On Nov 15, 2022
Santa2:

when I was on student visa I flew KLM to naija and back without transit visa..called the airline several times to confirm before I bought the though

Was this after brexit?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by seunoj: 9:01am On Nov 15, 2022
pheranmie:

Thanks in anticipation

Go to church if you are a Christian and vice versa if you are a Muslim. Look for Nigerians in your environment and ask for help. My brother, those saying avoid Nigerians no dey follow u go through all this o. A closed mouth is a closed destiny.
Lastly, be on guard

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mimilyrics: 11:17am On Nov 15, 2022
Getting housing in London is quite the sport now. Be ready to go for multiple viewings with as many as 10-50 people viewing the same property. If you have 6-12 months upfront payment, it helps (if you don't have an existing UK tenancy or 6 months payslips for reference checks).
Typical rent for a 3 bed is anything from £1300 - 2000 and above. Someone close to me just got a 3-bedroom house for £1,300 in the SE postcode area after a 7-month search filled with multiple viewings and rejections. 6 months' rent paid upfront. If you have a place to stay while trying to sort yourself, please take that option until you can sort yourselves out.
Groceries and utilities are dependent on your usage and eating patterns and food types. Children tend to eat a lot - my lil one is in your kids' age brackets and she is almost always hungry. For my family, we do a mix of African and Western meals - African (pap and akara, pounded yam, amala, wheat, oatmeal, semo, eba/garri with nigerian soups) on 2-3 days a week; sometimes once. For the African food staples, we buy once in 2-3 months and spend an average of £30-50, for the soups, we cook in bulk, dish in plastic food bowls and freeze - the cost is usually dependent on what goes into it - a bag of £5 tripes, 2 bags of chicken/2 frozen whole chickens, two £2.50 bags of gizzard, a £5 bag of beef, a £5 bag of fish can be used for 2-3 soups (vegetables, okro, pepper stew). These soups last 2-3 months before we run through them. We've cooked 6 months worth of soup at some point.
Other meal types - mash and pie, shepherd's pie, full english, toast and butter, pasta, yam and eggs, potatoes and eggs/sauce, bread and eggs, cereal and the like.
The average spend on groceries over a 3 month period is circa £250-300. Buying in bulk helps and also know where to get the best of an item at great prices helps eg. Aldi's juices, snacks, milk, bread and some other items are cheaper than Morrisons, Iceland, M&S, Sainsburys and almost better in some cases; you can also get some great items at the pound shops - Poundland, Sam 99 etc. Categorise your shopping and know what quality you are after and where to get them at the best prices. Some store brands are more value than some popular brands. If you have a blue light card, don't hesitate to use it where possible.

Re utilities, Depending on your usage and on if you opt for DD instead of PayG, you might be looking at anything from £140-200.
Your husband's estimated take home will be around £3,605 and how much is left is dependent on how much your monthly rent is since that will take a huge chunk of the pay.
NOTE: The £60,000 salary might not come as soon as expected so better to get accommodation that's in line with current income/savings.
bankylan:
For folks living in London with their families, how much do you spend monthly on rent, utilities and groceries? What is the minimum monthly spend for a family of 4 with two kids aged 12 and 10 ?

Wife is schooling and hubby will be working with an expected salary of 60,000 annual. Can they survive on this salary living in London? They have established siblings who are UK citizens, but they are not depending on supports though they will take if it comes. They don't want to be a burden to anyone in the UK.

Please people with families should share experience.

24 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by HollyMadison(f): 11:19am On Nov 15, 2022
Evagreenfields:
Ninja blender. Works really well

Please do you have a picture, name, model number etc? There are lots of ninja blenders
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by HollyMadison(f): 11:19am On Nov 15, 2022
LagosismyHome:

https://www.johnlewis.com/ninja-hb150uk-blender-and-soup-maker/p4833209

I bought this and it was quite good in blending beans smoothly , however it didn't last up to a year. It started leaking and would trip off the light .. only for me to read through the reviews and there were several comment on it leaking

So maybe if you buy it won't leak, as not all does ....lol

Thank you, I will avoid it
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mimilyrics: 11:45am On Nov 15, 2022
Erith is a lovely place to live in. There's an almost equal mix of dark and light-skinned people living there. It can be quite quiet though.

The town centre has an equal mix of African and non-African stores - there 3 African food stores (Debash, Tropical foods & Aglory), 2 African restaurants that I can remember (White Hart, KSpice), 1 African cosmetics/hair store (Aglory), 1 Asian cosmetic/hair store (Sabrina), Supermarkets (Morrisons, Iceland, Farmfoods), Food stores - Greggs, Costa, a kebab food store and some other ones. There's also Matalan - Wilko, Argos and Shoezone are no longer there. They moved out months ago.

You can always visit the pier/park overseeing the Thames river to clear your head or go play with your lil one and/or partner.
Depending on where you eventually live, you might have a 2-15 min walk to the train station. Bus from the town centre - 229 to and from Thamesmead/Bexleyheath, 99 to and from Woolwich, 180 to and from Greenwich, 469 to and from Queen Elizabeth Hospital, 428 to and from Bluewater/Crayford. Depending on where you live, there are also buses to Lewisham but not from the town centre.

There are 2 nurseries in the area, there might be more that I don't know of - one run by the Redeem church, if my memory serves me right and another one called Violet.
Schools: Christ church primary school, Lesney Park, Northumberland heath pry school, St Fidelis catholic pry school, King Henry school, Peareswood Primary school. More pry schools in the Crayford, Bexleyheath and Belvedere area.
Closest secondary schools are scattered in Crayford and Bexleyheath.
No identified cons living in Erith, I guess you can say that it's relatively safe to live in.

Churches - Church of England, Catholic Chruch, Cele, Redeemed; there used to be a Christ Embassy somewhere there but not sure anymore.
jagbasneh:
Good evening guru, how's cost of living in ERITH for family of 3, it's lovely living in ERITH? What are the pro and con

10 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chinlov: 11:48am On Nov 15, 2022
seunoj:

Go to church if you are a Christian and vice versa if you are a Muslim. Look for Nigerians in your environment and ask for help. My brother, those saying avoid Nigerians no dey follow u go through all this o. A closed mouth is a closed destiny.
Lastly, be on guard

Also Ghanaians help a lot, especially those you meet in the church...from my experience they are very very kind. tell people around you your problem you will be surprised what help you can get...

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by pheranmie(m): 11:54am On Nov 15, 2022
Chinlov:

Also Ghanaians help a lot, especially those you meet in the church...from my experience they are very very kind. tell people around you your problem you will be surprised what help you can get...

You are right even the place I got now Twas really through the help of a Ghanaian and I can say they have really accommodating much more than we nigerians

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by pheranmie(m): 11:55am On Nov 15, 2022
mex551:
. Are u a Christian ? Look for a Church. Winners Chapel, Redemmed , or MFM nearby. I guess you will find help. Be strong , this too shall come and pass

Amen I have tried that but I am giving it a trial again.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by pheranmie(m): 11:59am On Nov 15, 2022
seunoj:

Lastly, be on guard

If you must know
Nigerians here don’t do much compare to other African countries.I was taken to an old granny for accommodation. despite my wife condition and for the fact her tenant are now parking out (Yorubas) she still increased the rent I said no problem later she came up with an excuse that she want to renovate the place. Which I asked the person that took me to her and she said she is not open to take Nigerians again.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Zahra29: 12:05pm On Nov 15, 2022
bankylan:
For folks living in London with their families, how much do you spend monthly on rent, utilities and groceries? What is the minimum monthly spend for a family of 4 with two kids aged 12 and 10 ?

Wife is schooling and hubby will be working with an expected salary of 60,000 annual. Can they survive on this salary living in London? They have established siblings who are UK citizens, but they are not depending on supports though they will take if it comes. They don't want to be a burden to anyone in the UK.

Please people with families should share experience.

Does the hubby already have a job offer?

In addition to the detailed advice others have provided, just wanted to add in transport costs, which are significantly higher in London. Train, tram, tubes to uni, work etc can easily add up to a few hundred a month depending on the travel zones.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mimilyrics: 12:25pm On Nov 15, 2022
I've been using this Ninja brand for yam, okra, beans and the likes - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ninja-Processor-Auto-iQ-BN650UK-Silver/dp/B088TW4B5R
HollyMadison:

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by HollyMadison(f): 12:33pm On Nov 15, 2022
mimilyrics:
I've been using this Ninja brand for yam, okra, beans and the likes - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ninja-Processor-Auto-iQ-BN650UK-Silver/dp/B088TW4B5R

Thank you, if you don’t mind me asking how long have you had the blender?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mimilyrics: 12:39pm On Nov 15, 2022
Roughly 2 years.
HollyMadison:

Thank you, if you don’t mind me asking how long have you had the blender?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by fatima04: 12:42pm On Nov 15, 2022
Anyone used Quantum AI for trading. Pros and cons would be appreciated for a newbie pls. Thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (715) (716) (717) (718) (719) (720) (721) ... (1007)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.