Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,146 members, 7,821,909 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:28 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (759) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1183329 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (756) (757) (758) (759) (760) (761) (762) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Strata1716: 12:54am On Dec 11, 2022
Amarathripple0:

The certificate is a plus, a lot of companies love it when candidates have PM certificates. However, the certificate is not enough. While skills are transferable, you need the actual PM knowledge and experience to scale through the interview process because the questions asked would be targeted towards projects you have worked on, how you handled conflict, methodologies you use, PM tools you use etc. Some companies would even ask you to do a presentation on a project you managed from start to finish.

If you don’t have any PM experience, my advice on how to scale the interview process would be to tailor your response in a way that a PM would. Imagine yourself as the one who managed the project’s lifecycle from start to finish including the team, budget etc. Also use PM buzz words like stakeholder, baseline, project sponsor, risk assessment, highlight report, impact analysis, change control, scope, etc. (don’t overdo this though).

You should also google Project Management interview questions and how to answer them. (Reddit has a lot of gems)

You can also target graduate roles as they do not care much about you having any PM experience. However, don’t depend on graduate roles alone, apply to non-graduate roles as well and just sell yourself.

This was very very helpful, thank you.

Would have to go on Reddit to source a lot of the answers out especially on the tools used, having a template on how the interview would go is super helpful.

Thanks

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Strata1716: 12:56am On Dec 11, 2022
mizGene:

Amarathripple had a recommendation, I'm sure she will respond.. but I used theknowledgeacademy it was listed at close to 2k (with Practitioner) but once you indicate interest and they call you, you can negotiate it to 800 pounds. They will pretend they can't do it, keep you on the call "to ask their manager" cheesy for approval for a discount.. then they will make you an offer. But make sure to get them down to 800 at most.

Thank you ��

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Progressivegee: 1:01am On Dec 11, 2022
Hi guys, I posted sometime ago (other miniker) about issues with my company because I wasn't able to drive and how they threaten to sack me at any slight instance including feedind a dog thrice instead of twice. It hasn't been easy for me. I have been trekking in the winter to see clients and never complained yet my company never cease to threaten me of sack for the most trivial of issues. They constantly remind me that they are doing me a favor by keeping me cos I wld have been long gone to my country the moment they noticed I cldnt drive. They refused to renew my ID card and didn't give me the training they give to other staff.

I was told by my South African colleague that the company wants to chase me and I should find a new sponsor before I am chased out. Luckily for me, I got a new sponsor and I have a new COS. I have also applied to update my Visa using priority option.

My company sent me a mail that they have booked me ahead for work till the new year. I plan to start at my new place before the Christmas. I responded that they should only book me for a week cos I will be stopping after a week. My contract states that both parties should give at least a 1 week notice before contract termination.

I was told to report to the office and on getting there I laid all my concerns. I have been living in an hotel with my wife and two kids for close to 2 months and the company refused to stand as a guarantor for me to get a house. I also made other concerns. They said its non of their business if my kids are registered with a GP or not or if I have a place as long as I work with them. I maintained my stance that I want to quit but was told I must work for a month before quiting or forfeit the pay for the days I have worked. I said I wasn't going to work and the madam opened the door and asked me to get out. I got up and left.

Later in the day, the husband mailed me that I am breaching my contract that I must work 1 month or they will report me to home office and I will have a limit to stay in the UK. I didn't reply his mail but I have a copy of the contract that states other wise.

Any advice for me guys?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Progressivegee: 1:02am On Dec 11, 2022
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ralphlauren(m): 1:38am On Dec 11, 2022
Progressivegee:
Hi guys, I posted sometime ago (other miniker) about issues with my company because I wasn't able to drive and how they threaten to sack me at any slight instance including feeding a dog thrice instead of twice. It hasn't been easy for me. I have been trekking in the winter to see clients and never complained yet my company never cease to threaten me of sack for the most trivial of issues. They constantly remind me that they are doing me a favor by keeping me cos I wld have been long gone to my country the moment they noticed I cldnt drive. They refused to renew my ID card and didn't give me the training they give to other staff.

I was told by my South African colleague that the company wants to chase me and I should find a new sponsor before I am chased out. Luckily for me, I got a new sponsor and I have a new COS. I have also applied to update my Visa using priority option.

My company sent me a mail that they have booked me ahead for work till the new year. I plan to start at my new place before the Christmas. I responded that they should only book me for a week cos I will be stopping after a week. My contract states that both parties should give at least a 1 week notice before contract termination.

I was told to report to the office and on getting there I laid all my concerns. I have been living in an hotel with my wife and two kids for close to 2 months and the company refused to stand as a guarantor for me to get a house. I also made other concerns. They said its non of their business if my kids are registered with a GP or not or if I have a place as long as I work with them. I maintained my stance that I want to quit but was told I must work for a month before quiting or forfeit the pay for the days I have worked. I said I wasn't going to work and the madam opened the door and asked me to get out. I got up and left.

Later in the day, the husband mailed me that I am breaching my contract that I must work 1 month or they will report me to home office and I will have a limit to stay in the UK. I didn't reply his mail but I have a copy of the contract that states other wise.

Any advice for me guys?

Respond to his email with a scanned copy of your contract with emphasis on the 1 week notice period.

Tell them you will report them to the home office for acts of modern day slavery, non adherence to labour laws, bullying (constantly threatening you with job loss is workplace bullying) and harassment and ask home office to revoke their license.

Feel free to go ahead with your threat and watch home office enforcement officials show up at their office unannounced and launch a full blown investigation.

Home Office can decide to suspend their licence pending the outcome of their investigation.

If seems all these mushrooms agencies issuing COS do not know they can lose their license just with one email from an employee they've maltreated.

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Progressivegee: 1:47am On Dec 11, 2022
Ralphlauren:

Respond to his email with a scanned copy of your contract with emphasis on the 1 week notice period.

Tell them you will report them to the office for acts of modern day slavery, non adherence to labour laws, bullying (constantly threatening you with job loss is workplace bullying) and harassment and ask home office to revoke their license.

Feel free to go ahead with your threat and watch home office enforcement officials show up at their office unannounced and launch a full blown investigation.

Home Office can decide to suspend their licence pending the outcome of their investigation.

If seems all these mushrooms agencies issuing COS do not know they can lose their license just with one email from an employee they've maltreated.

Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ralphlauren(m): 1:50am On Dec 11, 2022
Progressivegee:

Thanks

If you've not handed your notice of resignation, I'll suggest you do it ASAP.

Send it via email, quoting the notice period as stipulated on your contract and clearly state your last working day.

If they do not pay you your wages after you leave,please report them to the home office.

That company must be moving mad.

Let them know two can play the home office game and they are the ones that will be at the losing end big time.

You have absolutely nothing to lose - you are off to a new employer/sponsor cheesy

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Progressivegee: 2:00am On Dec 11, 2022
Ralphlauren:

If you've not handed your notice of resignation, I'll suggest you do it ASAP.

Send it via email, quoting the notice period as stipulated on your contract and clearly state your last working day.

If they do not pay you your wages after you leave,please report them to the home office.

That company must be moving mad.

Let them know two can play the home office game and they are the ones that will be at the losing end big time.

You have absolutely nothing to lose - you are off to a new employer/sponsor cheesy

Thank you. I will do it ASAP
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Margs(f): 6:31am On Dec 11, 2022
Hi everyone.
So I am done with visas and cas et al. ready to move in Jan - no dependents. Coming with a tier 4 visa (student). I want to rent a place before i come in. Wanted to ask if this is wise. I have an offer to stay with a friend - I would rather not explore this. What would you suggest as the best approach?
Coming to Hertfordshire
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 7:47am On Dec 11, 2022
lavida001:

So you actually believe in that epistle of lies?

Are you the person involved?

11 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 7:51am On Dec 11, 2022
Margs:
Hi everyone.
So I am done with visas and cas et al. ready to move in Jan - no dependents. Coming with a tier 4 visa (student). I want to rent a place before i come in. Wanted to ask if this is wise. I have an offer to stay with a friend - I would rather not explore this. What would you suggest as the best approach?
Coming to Hertfordshire

Paying for an accommodation before seeing it and signing tenancy agreement is not a good idea. You could be scammed easily.

Consider taking the offer from your friend then search for accommodation when you arrive.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 7:57am On Dec 11, 2022
Progressivegee:
Hi guys, I posted sometime ago (other miniker) about issues with my company because I wasn't able to drive and how they threaten to sack me at any slight instance including feedind a dog thrice instead of twice. It hasn't been easy for me. I have been trekking in the winter to see clients and never complained yet my company never cease to threaten me of sack for the most trivial of issues. They constantly remind me that they are doing me a favor by keeping me cos I wld have been long gone to my country the moment they noticed I cldnt drive. They refused to renew my ID card and didn't give me the training they give to other staff.

Any advice for me guys?

You have a right in this country, start using it and stop allowing this bogus company to mess you around.

Turn on the heat and threaten to expose them to authorities and social media platforms.

You have kept quiet for too long.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 8:45am On Dec 11, 2022
Ralphlauren:

Tell them you will report them to the home office for acts of modern day slavery, non adherence to labour laws, bullying (constantly threatening you with job loss is workplace bullying) and harassment and ask home office to revoke their license.

Progressivegee this is the best advice for you.

Especially the bolded.

Write the specific things this person has said in your email.

There's nothing they can do to you. Even if you violate your employment agreement with them it's a private contractual matter not Home Office's problem insofar as you have COS from another employer and have applied to switch as required.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 8:48am On Dec 11, 2022
Margs:
Hi everyone.
Coming to Hertfordshire

You can rent a place before you come but make sure someone views it on your behalf. Since you have a friend, that should be doable.

You can even rent without seeing it - video viewings are commonplace nowadays - but I would say ONLY do that with an agency that you can verify (should have an office your friend can visit too), not private landlords.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Progressivegee: 10:33am On Dec 11, 2022
koonbey:

Progressivegee this is the best advice for you.

Especially the bolded.

Write the specific things this person has said in your email.

There's nothing they can do to you. Even if you violate your employment agreement with them it's a private contractual matter not Home Office's problem insofar as you have COS from another employer and have applied to switch as required.

Thanks boss. I will notify them
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Bourne007(m): 10:45am On Dec 11, 2022
In addition to what Ralph said, tell them

If they don't pay for your services rendered for so so days' work, you would have no choice but to contact small claims court.

I doubt Home office can do anything regarding pay. All the best and do not let this slide ọ smiley

Progressivegee:

I maintained my stance that I want to quit but was told I must work for a month before quiting or forfeit the pay for the days I have worked. I said I wasn't going to work and the madam opened the door and asked me to get out. I got up and left.

Any advice for me guys?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by frankadrian: 11:00am On Dec 11, 2022
Hello guys...

Got my tier 2 dependent visa, moving on the 24th.

While I'll continue to read the great suggestions on this thread, I will be extremely grateful for any helpful tips such as what career to pursue long-term, what are the quickest jobs I can look forward to scoring while preparing for my long term career goals.

I have some experience and certificates in web development and programming, but could be persuaded to look at other fields for a long-term career.

Also, is it a good idea to send cars from the UK to Nigeria for sale? I've been a car dealer for a while in Nigeria and would really love to continue. Funds are no problem, just the fact that UK cars are right hand.

I also intend to switch from a dependant to my own tier 2 visa. How soon is wise to start on the process?

Is it relatively easy to get a visit visa to USA from the UK as tier dependant? I have a daughter in America and would like to visit her by summer 2023.

Laatly, is uber/lyft worth it? I haven't held a 9 to 5 job for years and, I don't really want to. Can one earn enough as an uber driver in London? Or is it better to get a job and do uber on the side?

Your comments are welcome.

Dear Justwise, I hope this is in the right thread. If it is not, please don't delete it as you have done to a few of my posts in the past, just point me to a better thread first before you do. Thank you sir.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 12:35pm On Dec 11, 2022
Amarathripple0 is spot-on. Thanx a bunch.
Lemme chip in with emphasis. Think like a PM, talk like a PM, relate to scenarios as a PM, express as a PM. While at it, learn to differentiate the role and scope of a PM to a Program/portfolio Mgr/Director (and if need be a project coordinator). Note, the 'higher' one goes towards portfolio mgt, the more value (benefit realisation), change mgt and risk becomes strategically important.
One area I know is important is risk. Know how to anticipate risk, handle/manage risk and to learn from risk. It covers every stages of a project and handover. Risk in project might vary slight from risk in infosec/cybersec.

If you can afford it, volunteer for PM or project coordinator roles. If you do, do it with utmost diligence (at least for the sake of that elusive experience and footinthedoor, and possibly building network)
NB: PM principle stays and last, however the nuances evolves over time.
Amarathripple0:
The certificate is a plus, a lot of companies love it when candidates have PM certificates. However, the certificate is not enough. While skills are transferable, you need the actual PM knowledge and experience to scale through the interview process because the questions asked would be targeted towards projects you have worked on, how you handled conflict, methodologies you use, PM tools you use etc. Some companies would even ask you to do a presentation of a project you managed from start to finish.
If you don’t have any PM experience, my advice on how to scale the interview process would be to tailor your response in a way that a PM would. Imagine yourself as the one who managed the project’s lifecycle from start to finish including the team, budget etc. Also use PM buzz words like stakeholder, baseline, project sponsor, risk assessment, highlight report, impact analysis, change control, scope, etc. (don’t overdo this though).
You should also google Project Management interview questions and how to answer them. (Reddit has a lot of gems)
You can also target graduate roles as they do not care much about you having any PM experience. However, don’t depend on graduate roles alone, apply to non-graduate roles as well and just sell yourself.
jimps:

Thank you, I’ve been preparing for the exam quite a time now and since I don’t have any experience in project field, I wanted to know if experience matters in getting a job after the successful completion of the foundation exam.

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mizGene(f): 12:47pm On Dec 11, 2022
lavida001:

So you actually believe in that epistle of lies?
Tell your side smiley....

8 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 12:47pm On Dec 11, 2022
frankadrian:
Hello guys...

Got my tier 2 dependent visa, moving on the 24th.

I have some experience and certificates in web development and programming, but could be persuaded to look at other fields for a long-term career.

I also intend to switch from a dependant to my own tier 2 visa. How soon is wise to start on the process?

I’m not sure what your long term career goals are as you didn’t specify. However, since you have some programming experience, you’d definitely get a job with Tier 2 sponsorship. These software engineers/programmers/developers are hot cake especially if you know a variety of programming languages or if you are a full stack developer. A lot of these jobs hire people from India and some African countries into the UK. My classmate (an Indian babe) who’s a software engineer and still a student, got a one year placement opportunity with VmWare paying her £200 per day.

If you have a fantastic CV that details all the languages you know and you go hardcore on your job search and can actually do the work (As you would need to pass a live test stage). You’d find a job that can actually sponsor your own visa with really good pay at that.

Also, do not pay anyone to do your CV for you. It’s a total waste of money. Just google Software Engineer CV 2022, pick a template that’s one or two pages max and tailor it to yours. Also make sure that the programming languages you know are pronounced on the CV. Finally, if you don’t have this already, then open a GitHub account and put the projects you have worked on on your page and add a link to your GitHub page on your CV.

Regarding the visa, it’s at the discretion of the Entry clearance officer. No one can say if you would get the visa or not. So just go for it and apply since you actually have a daughter living there.

I don’t know anything about shipping cars or Uber so can’t advise sorry.

All the best.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 12:53pm On Dec 11, 2022
In the ordinary sense Heathrow to Manchester would count as domestic flight. Well, unless you're not coming out of the flight at Heathrow! It all depends on what the connection is (from which Terminal). If you must get to security whilst following "connecting flight" path, then boarder control kicks in.
Kindly provide further info on how your flight is connecting from Heathrow to Manchester.
- single booking from departure, through transit to destination [LOS-LHR-MAN]
- collecting luggage at Heathrow?
[UPDATED]
For flights within Heathrow, use this to check using your flight ticket ,- https://www.heathrow.com/connecting-flights
babino22:
If going to Manchester through BA and it’s stopping over at Heathrow then another flight to Manchester. Where will the boarder control (immigration) take place? Heathrow or Manchester. Any idea?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by frankadrian: 12:58pm On Dec 11, 2022
Amarathripple0:

All the best.

Thank you so much Amarathripple0. Will defo follow your advice.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by eniola1010(m): 12:59pm On Dec 11, 2022
babino22:
If going to Manchester through BA and it’s stopping over at Heathrow then another flight to Manchester. Where will the boarder control (immigration) take place? Heathrow or Manchester. Any idea?

Hope no be wetin i dey think o. No carry coco o
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 1:03pm On Dec 11, 2022
frankadrian:

Thank you so much Amarathripple0. Will defo follow your advice.
You are welcome. I love the fact that you are looking to get your own Tier2 sponsorship as well as the global job market is shaky at the moment. So one is not rushing to get a sponsorship job in 3 months God forbid something happens. GoodLuck!

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by NevaUgivup: 1:06pm On Dec 11, 2022
justwise:

Are you the person involved?
Maybe....the profile's timeline/activities ties a lot to Babajeje's story
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 1:10pm On Dec 11, 2022
NevaUgivup:
Maybe....the profile's timeline/activities ties a lot to Babajeje's story

Yup..went through few posts from him before asking that question and then again you wouldn't call Babajeje's story a lie unless you know one or two things about the issue
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 1:41pm On Dec 11, 2022
Reference for workplace bullying: https://www.gov.uk/workplace-bullying-and-harassment
www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/human-rights-workplace

You are also at the border line of discrimination and modern day slavery
www.gov.uk/discrimination-your-rights/discrimination-at-work
www.gov.uk/government/collections/modern-slavery
Article on modern day slavery (although from a different focus from yours) https://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-slavery-trfn-idUSKCN24E1IE
Collation of UK labour issues: www.gov.uk/employment/labour-market-reform

PS: I fully concur with Ralphlauren: respond to em firmly yet circumspectly. Ensure you have your ducks in the row (your contractual resignation period and process).
justwise:
You have a right in this country, start using it and stop allowing this bogus company to mess you around.
Turn on the heat and threaten to expose them to authorities and social media platforms.
You have kept quiet for too long.
Ralphlauren:
... ...
Unfortunately, when they start loosing their license, auntie Suella will have a point to hang on. Unfortunately.
However, report, they must be reported.

[Curious] though doesn't impact on what you must do as Ralphlauren and Justwise indicated
Is this South African Coloured, Afrikaner, Zulu, Xhosa, Sotho or Pedi.

[Oops] just notice I missed out the Employment Rights Act 1996
Pls pay attention to c. 18 Part IX - Termination - www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1996/18/contents
PS: labour advices herein are not binding as contemplated in law

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bellakay: 1:41pm On Dec 11, 2022
What’s the best map to use in London? One that states arrival of buses and trains. I used one about 4years ago I can’t remember the name. London people help me..
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by frankadrian: 1:47pm On Dec 11, 2022
Amarathripple0:

You are welcome. I love the fact that you are looking to get your own Tier2 sponsorship as well as the global job market is shaky at the moment. So one is not rushing to get a sponsorship job in 3 months God forbid something happens. GoodLuck!

3 months. Exactly what I have in mind.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by babino22: 2:14pm On Dec 11, 2022
semmyk:
In the ordinary sense Heathrow to Manchester would count as domestic flight. Well, unless you're not coming out of the flight at Heathrow! It all depends on what the connection is (from which Terminal). If you must get to security whilst following "connecting flight" path, then boarder control kicks in.
Kindly provide further info on how your flight is connecting from Heathrow to Manchester.
- single booking from departure, through transit to destination [LOS-LHR-MAN]
- collecting luggage at Heathrow?
[UPDATED]
For flights within Heathrow, use this to check using your flight ticket ,- https://www.heathrow.com/connecting-flights

It’s actually a single itinerary from departure. I heard there will be strike action from 23rd dec till 28th dec which may cause long queue at Manchester airport and I have a train to catch like an hour after arrival so I would preferred the check at Heathrow cause I have like over 2hours layover which is enough to get through the queue
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by babino22: 2:18pm On Dec 11, 2022
eniola1010:

Hope no be wetin i dey think o. No carry coco o

cheesy hahahaha, no sir. It’s to avoid queues and delay so as not to miss train.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (756) (757) (758) (759) (760) (761) (762) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.