Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,557 members, 7,837,145 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:45 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (893) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1201100 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (890) (891) (892) (893) (894) (895) (896) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by obaalasepe: 5:51am On Mar 20, 2023
Thank you so much @ Zahra.
He said the best bet is ask the local council.
Zahra29:

Free childcare for 2 year olds is a means tested benefit and only applies to specific households - majority of working British households do not even qualify.

See below official guidance:

Free education and childcare for 2-year-olds
Your 2-year-old can get free childcare if you live in England and get any of the following benefits:

Income Support
income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
Universal Credit, and your household income is £15,400 a year or less after tax, not including benefit payments
the guaranteed element of Pension Credit
Child Tax Credit, Working Tax Credit (or both), and your household income is £16,190 a year or less before tax
the Working Tax Credit 4-week run on (the payment you get when you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit)
2-year-olds can also get free childcare if they:

are looked after by a local authority
have an education, health and care (EHC) plan
get Disability Living Allowance
have left care under an adoption order, special guardianship order or a child arrangements order

You should ask your friend to clarify on what grounds you would apply for this
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by giselle237: 7:03am On Mar 20, 2023
Vicas2000:
I need some advice on applying for the renewal of Nigerian passport (but with a slight name change).
My expired Nigerian passport (from 5 yrs ago) is with the name "Joe Bloggs".
I adopted an "Baptismal name" as a first name and got a British passport with it as "David Joe Bloggs".
I am now looking to renew my Nigerian passport and learnt I need an NIN and my old passport.
I presume when I register for NIN, this would be in my new name "David Joe Bloggs".
I just want to check if there is anything else I need to do in advance of applying for the passport because I know the folks at the Nigerian house can be a bit overbearing so want to be sure.
ur NIN needs to bear the new name. Then when you are filling the passport form. Dont go straight to reissue or renewal because that’s not what it is even if your old passport is expired. Your case is a case of correction of error/ change of data(addition of names)

For females changing names due to marriage or divorce, the process is different but also free of charge

1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 8:11am On Mar 20, 2023
😘

eniola1010:

Thanks wise one
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lolli2pop: 10:13am On Mar 20, 2023
giselle237:
ur NIN needs to bear the new name. Then when you are filling the passport form. Dont go straight to reissue or renewal because that’s not what it is even if your old passport is expired. Your case is a case of correction of error/ change of data(addition of names)

Hey Giselle, I made this mistake.. i joined nairaland after i applied for the passport.

I was gonna do a change of change but because my passport was applying soon, i did passport renewal. Infact even my NIN beared my old name.so even at the high commission i was sent back home to change my NIN first and the next day i came back to drop my application. My application form had my new name tho.

All this happened in February. At the beginning of March i got an email from the NIN guys that the name change has been done.

My concern is the image i attached. I wonder what my next course of action should be.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Phayie(m): 10:50am On Mar 20, 2023
Zahra29:

This is not correct. See below copied from an official gov website.

When will it start?
From April 2024, working parents of two-year-olds will be able to access 15 hours of free childcare.

From September 2024, 15 hours of free childcare will be extended to all children from the age of nine months.

From September 2025, working parents of children under the age of five will be entitled to 30 hours free childcare per week.

This staggered approach will give childcare providers time to prepare for the changes, ensuring there are enough providers ready to meet demand.

It's been in existence before now. It's even pasted on most buses around Coventry and westmidlands. This was confirmed by the council in charge of admission. You can even choose a private nursery and and government will pay the school

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by giselle237: 11:08am On Mar 20, 2023
Lolli2pop:
Hey Giselle, I made this mistake.. i joined nairaland after i applied for the passport.I was gonna do a change of change but because my passport was applying soon, i did passport renewal. Infact even my NIN beared my old name.so even at the high commission i was sent back home to change my NIN first and the next day i came back to drop my application. My application form had my new name tho.
All this happened in February. At the beginning of March i got an email from the NIN guys that the name change has been done. My concern is the image i attached. I wonder what my next course of action should be.
as long as you had time to do the corrections on NIN to tally alphabet by alphabet with what is on the new form then there’s no course for alarm. The system takes some time to update. Verification will only fail if there is any difference between NIN and application form even if one letter/alphabet

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 11:56am On Mar 20, 2023
How much voluntary excess did you add to reduce your car insurance. I'm thinking of £500. About £1,400 per annum is just too high even with black box.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Adunnishugar(f): 12:04pm On Mar 20, 2023
yolkman20:

I have sent a msg to your email, can you please respond? Thanks

Hello
Please I didn’t see this.
Can you resend
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Adunnishugar(f): 12:11pm On Mar 20, 2023
dustydee:

Thanks. @ Adunnishugar please take note.

This was really helpful
Thank you.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by eniola1010(m): 1:31pm On Mar 20, 2023
Abeg which military volunteer scheme person fit do for uk. Just a temporary stuff though. I need the ID card
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 1:48pm On Mar 20, 2023
Ah. Military o wa poju. Because of ID card. grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by HaneefahRN(f): 1:48pm On Mar 20, 2023
tushqueen:

Wife is pregnant, due to deliver soon so not a good time to start searching for jobs. Also wife is on a 3year contract and she has only spent 18mtgs with the company. They live down south, husband has been doing care but now got a good job along his career but in Scotland. A difference of 7hrs journey!!!
Ok ma'am or sir. My thought was the wife could look for a job in the hubby's new location so they won't have to reset the ILR time but that could take some time which they might not have and with what you have explained as well. It is well with them
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by sunshine21: 1:57pm On Mar 20, 2023
Hello everyone. Has anyone with dependents switched visas from graduate route to skilled worker route? Did dependents have to switch at the same time or can they continue with the graduate route until they switch at some point?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Kikspie: 2:11pm On Mar 20, 2023
Hi guys, please i would like to know from experience has anyone applied for the post graduate visa on different dates as their dependents and was given? some one told me that if you apply at different times it would be refused, but there is no such thing on the gov.uk website. I mean a family of 4 for example, main applicant and spouse appplies in march and children apply in april all their visas are expiring in may, does it mean they would be refused? It dosent make any sense to me since the applications are done seperately. i just need to confirm from someone who has done it before.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by sunshine21: 2:18pm On Mar 20, 2023
[quote author=Kikspie post=121913179]Hi they only need to apply before their visas expire. Approvals are taking as much as 8 weeks now but try not to over space the application dates. This is my experience.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Focus99: 2:53pm On Mar 20, 2023
Crypto trading is allowed in the UK? Waoooh

Omotaday:
It is safer if you can open coinbase, send your USDT there, sell it to coinbase and withdraw your fund inside monzo or revolut, then send to your Lloyds bank account. I have been doing this for months without issue
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 3:26pm On Mar 20, 2023
At your own risk though cos the banks here are not smiling and are ready to shut your account without explanation so be guided cheesy

Focus99:
Crypto trading is allowed in the UK? Waoooh

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Vicas2000: 5:19pm On Mar 20, 2023
giselle237:

For females changing names due to marriage or divorce, the process is different but also free of charge

Thank you Giselle237 for your response.

I noticed that the instruction said "a sworn affidavit from the high court". I am looking to apply for this new passport in London (Nigerian House). The UK only use a Deed Poll for name change and does not require a high court affidavit.

What do you advise in this case?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by giselle237: 6:19pm On Mar 20, 2023
Vicas2000:
Thank you Giselle237 for your response.
I noticed that the instruction said "a sworn affidavit from the high court". I am looking to apply for this new passport in London (Nigerian House). The UK only use a Deed Poll for name change and does not require a high court affidavit. What do you advise in this case?
Get someone in Nigeria to do it. The official price the High Court takes os 500 naira. Printing 100 naira or so. If someone here has used a deed poll at the High Commission they should please state so. Otherwise abort mission.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Oyehomie(m): 6:37pm On Mar 20, 2023
Good day sirs&mas. Please, my gtb dollar card isn't working here in UK...I tried checking the balance on the ATM, na £0 e dey give me.. abeg wettin I fit do. I've tried reaching GTB customer service, all to no avail... is it that my dollar card won't work on the atm? Please I need help
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by eniola1010(m): 6:45pm On Mar 20, 2023
koonbey:

Lol. Even if na crocodile infantry i no mind. And paramilitary stuff sha
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by lightnlife: 6:51pm On Mar 20, 2023
See attached.

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/transit-schengen-visa/

Phil46:

My people, abeg I'll appreciate responses on this please. I'm about to book a ticket and would like to be sure before proceeding.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 6:52pm On Mar 20, 2023
🤣🤣🤣

koonbey:
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ibro2021: 6:52pm On Mar 20, 2023
Hello gurus in the house.

Please I need advice on how to go about applying for US visit visa as a student in the UK.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by lightnlife: 6:52pm On Mar 20, 2023
Not compulsory.

Simply show proof of relationship.

eniola1010:
Abeg when dependent is coming over. Is it compuslory the dependent name on the passport must already be carrying the MA's surname. Or the wedding certificate is suffice to iron out those kind of name issues.

Abi the dependent will need affidavit.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 6:53pm On Mar 20, 2023
Go enroll as reservist naaa 🤣🤣

eniola1010:

Lol. Even if na crocodile infantry i no mind. And paramilitary stuff sha
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by audrey54me: 6:53pm On Mar 20, 2023
Band 3. Yes HCA role
Tier4Dependant:

Which band did you get the sponsorship for? And is it HCA role?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 6:55pm On Mar 20, 2023
Did you inform the bank before you traveled they may have blocked it from foreign ATM transactions for your account safety. Contact your account officer

Oyehomie:
Good day sirs&mas. Please, my gtb dollar card isn't working here in UK...I tried checking the balance on the ATM, na £0 e dey give me.. abeg wettin I fit do. I've tried reaching GTB customer service, all to no avail... is it that my dollar card won't work on the atm? Please I need help
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by lightnlife: 7:00pm On Mar 20, 2023
This was extensively discussed here some time last year.

Sit back, relax and search the thread.

Someone even followed the instructions and got a US visa as a UK student.

The answers are all here.

Ibro2021:
Hello gurus in the house.

Please I need advice on how to go about applying for US visit visa as a student in the UK.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ibro2021: 7:32pm On Mar 20, 2023
Okay will go through the thread. Thanks.

[color=#000000][/color]
lightnlife:
This was extensively discussed here some time last year.

Sit back, relax and search the thread.

Someone even followed the instructions and got a US visa as a UK student.

The answers are all here.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AKALAMAGBO: 7:35pm On Mar 20, 2023
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Tier4Dependant: 8:07pm On Mar 20, 2023
audrey54me:
Band 3. Yes HCA role

Lucky you….

(1) (2) (3) ... (890) (891) (892) (893) (894) (895) (896) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.