Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,840 members, 7,817,485 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:01 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (895) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1179340 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (892) (893) (894) (895) (896) (897) (898) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Regex: 9:40pm On Mar 21, 2023
Lexusgs430:

Have you accepted and signed, this new tenancy agreement....

Have you raised this inconsistency with your LL/EA ........

He can't have it both ways. Either he leaves, accepts the £25 increment for 12 months or the £50 being on the statuary.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Tinyemeka(m): 10:25pm On Mar 21, 2023
bigtt76:
Yes I'm aware in exchange for the service they offer to help build your credit as a new migrant, its ok by me.

I was never aware of that despite spending days going through their website and being informed that there was no charge for their basic plan.

I only became aware after signing up and seeing the £2.50 charge to my account for "membership fee", which I was never informed about before. I took that in good faith as I assumed that to be a one-off charge, but was shocked to see another charge a week later.

For a "new migrant", do you think that paying an extra £10 every month is a reasonable expense just for the sake of building credit scores, when there are other expenses and bills to be taken care of?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 10:35pm On Mar 21, 2023
Well ...how else do you build your credit history when no one is ready to give you a credit card? This is more like a stop-gap approach to it. Besides they also report your rent paid as part of the package and at the end of it all, you get back your savings.

Tinyemeka:

I was never aware of that despite spending days going through their website and being informed that there was no charge for their basic plan.

I only became aware after signing up and seeing the £2.50 charge to my account for "membership fee", which I was never informed about before. I took that in good faith as I assumed that to be a one-off charge, but was shocked to see another charge a week later.

For a "new migrant", do you think that paying an extra £10 every month is a reasonable expense just for the sake of building credit scores, when there are other expenses and bills to be taken care of?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Tinyemeka(m): 10:53pm On Mar 21, 2023
NevaUgivup:
You can opt for the basic plan with Loqbox and it is free.
If you joined Loqbox recently and have been charged £2.50 you can downgrade to the free service and your £2.50 will be refunded

I deliberately signed up only for the Basic membership ab initio, so you can imagine my surprise when I started seeing the weekly membership charges to my account.

I have written to them to reverse the charges and revert me back to the Basic membership that I signed up for. Currently awaiting their response.

Thanks. 🙏

P.S. Not directed at anyone in particular, but an observation I made over the past few months that I've spent in this country.

There are a lot of business practices that go on here, which even in Nigeria, would be considered very shady and fraudulent.

I noticed that some businesses here would bombard and try to coerce you into taking up their service without giving you full disclosure of what to expect in terms of your payments to make or the quality of service to expect.
Their primary objective is to have you sign-up and provide your card details. After you've committed in good faith, signed up and provided your card details, you'll just start seeing debits to your account that you never expected.

Apart from this recent Loqbox experience, another case in point being one tuition provider which I'll prefer not to name now. I saw their catchy advert promoting their services as a learning provider for various professional qualifications among which they listed some IT and Project Management qualifications. I needed more details but couldn't find what I was looking for on their website. For my enquiries I was instead directed to fill a form for them to call me back.

I filled the form and was contacted by one of their marketing personnel.

TLDR: After his marketing pitch, I told him that I wanted a one-on-one coaching for PRINCE2 which he assured me would be provided and the next was him asking me to sign up. I asked about the cost involved which was exorbitant in my opinion but when I considered the one-on-one coaching I felt it would be worthwhile. My payment was to be made in 12 installments and after I'd made the first payment, they sent me login details and someone else called me to give me orientation on the program. To say that I was disappointed was an understatement. There was no one-to-one coaching, they lied about their 24/7 availability, the final breakdown of my total payments to be made was higher that what I'd been told initially and the program was basically video lectures in a format that was similar in structure to the one I had already purchased from Udemy for about N6,000. These people meanwhile were planning to charge me approximately £2,600! The person who did the orientation kept on emphasizing on me downloading the resource materials and going through the videos.

I just patiently waited for him to finish and concluded the call with him before going to re-read their T&C's with regards to refunds. If I had downloaded their material or watched a certain length of their video, I would not have been eligible to obtain a refund of my initial payment. I wrote and eventually got refunded for the £240 they had charged to my account and bid them bye bye.

My grouse with all these shenanigans is that they would promise heaven and earth when selling something and would hide material information from you pertaining to payments, until you've committed and made first payments.

Thank God for their FCA and working systems that protect consumers. A lot more worse things would have been going on. Later they'll say Nigerians are corrupt.

Sorry that I wrote too much please. Just wanted to get it off my chest.

20 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Controlv: 10:55pm On Mar 21, 2023
Lexusgs430:

Have you accepted and signed, this new tenancy agreement....

Have you raised this inconsistency with your LL/EA ........

No, I have neither accept nor sign the new agreement. I did point out the inconsistency in the tenancy expiry but I don't know his intentions for ignoring that part. Here's a screenshot of my inititail response to him:

And he responded thus:

"Thank you for reply and I appreciate all of the points raised.

I have spoken to the owners for you and while they were obviously hoping to get a higher rent they will accept your offer. I will send you out a new tenancy agreement very shortly to sign."

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Tinyemeka(m): 11:02pm On Mar 21, 2023
bigtt76:
Well ...how else do you build your credit history when no one is ready to give you a credit card? This is more like a stop-gap approach to it. Besides they also report your rent paid as part of the package and at the end of it all, you get back your savings.

I used your referral link to sign-up to CreditLadder to be reporting my rent payments and I am not being charged a dime for that service.

£120 a year as extra charge to hold my deposit just to build my credit by Loqbox, in my personal opinion is too high a price to pay. I don't know about others in a similar position.

And that charge was being deducted without pre-information, my permission or consent.

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Bmuhd4smile: 11:36pm On Mar 21, 2023
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by NevaUgivup: 11:47pm On Mar 21, 2023
Tinyemeka:

I deliberately signed up only for the Basic membership ab initio, so you can imagine my surprise when I started seeing the weekly membership charges to my account.

I have written to them to reverse the charges and revert me back to the Basic membership that I signed up for. Currently awaiting their response.

Thanks. 🙏
I agree with you that Loqbox were being shady with the £2.50 weekly charge. That's a lot of money and they were not open about it.

If you want to downgrade your membership:
Click Membership, Manage my Membership, Choose a different Membership plan, select
Loqbox Lite and continue.

You'll be refunded your £5

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by tshoboy(m): 12:24am On Mar 22, 2023
I think a lot of us are also hasty to have good credit score. You just have to be patient and follow all the advice shared by others here they doesn’t involve you paying money.
Ideally give it time before applying for credit cards. I see some people who are trying to apply for CC after 2 months.
Patience, patience, patience and things will come through.

11 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kwakudtraveller(m): 12:32am On Mar 22, 2023
Solumtoya:

TCL on ao dot com
Thank you bro
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AgentXxx(m): 12:38am On Mar 22, 2023
Elders in the house, Any effect to someone who is has been shopping with different banks due the switching fee I.e purposely create a bank and switch to another in less than a month for a fee . Hope it has no long term effect.

Thanks.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 12:54am On Mar 22, 2023
Regex:

He can't have it both ways. Either he leaves, accepts the £25 increment for 12 months or the £50 being on the statuary.

A room for negotiation is always available, wiggle room or compromise........

If you don't ask...... You don't get ......😂

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 12:54am On Mar 22, 2023
Regex:

If you don't ask...... You don't get .....😂
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 1:31am On Mar 22, 2023
AgentXxx:
Elders in the house, Any effect to someone who is has been shopping with different banks due the switching fee I.e purposely create a bank and switch to another in less than a month for a fee . Hope it has no long term effect.

Thanks.

Each account you open, is recorded with credit reference agencies.........

Do you want further explanation on impact........🤪

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 2:43am On Mar 22, 2023
Teebaa:
Please folks in the Uk that are into IT.

How do you see the prospect of learning cybersecurity with Itcareer switch?

Seriously on the lookout for a UK experience /internship in an IT course.

I am an entry level data analyst without any UK real project yet and no jobs being offered except data entry roles with very low pay.

Data analysis trainings are quite expensive and i do not consider High Impact career trainings ideal for a UK experience.

Edakun help

Cybersecurity (security) is more of PASSION. You can get real security trainings and experience without paying anyone a dime. The only requirement for this is PASSION and time.

My advice is look at cyber security analyst Job descriptions ( with interest in tools you are expected to have skills in), go to YouTube, search for introduction videos to those tools. Learn from people who use these tools daily. Spend time on them.

Real example, Qualys and Splunk are two good tools used in the security space. Go to YouTube watch videos on intro to Splunk and Qualys. You will get videos from the companies directly on YouTube. After this, head straight to their website (Qualys and Splunk). Register and get a free account. This account will give you access to fundamental courses (free) to their tool usage. You will get lab sessions with access to their environments and do real life exercises/experiments. You will get certification after successfully completing the courses. Build your knowledge and security thinking skills. As you progress in this you will find out more useful learning techniques/ideas (like using virtual box for security exercises).

After that stage, jump on videos on YouTube to learn cybersecurity interview questions and answers. Again, multiple videos on YouTube for security analyst interview question and answer. When making searches, start with cyber security as key word. Then progress to searching “security analysts”. Security Analyst search will combine “information security”, “cybersecurity” and general security architecture results. Here you get knowledge about DLP tools, how to configure security tools and how they are used.

All of this can only be achieved thru PASSION. If you have done all of this, you can contact me later and I will schedule a google chat interview with you. Please note that the interview is not to give you job, but to help you prepare for interview with real security managers and boost your confidence.

I have had interview with managers who care about certification and I have had interview with manager who don’t care, they just want to know you are sound. They can tell if you know your onion from just security chats.

Stay blessed.

PS: if your passion is being data analysts, apply same process (starting with job description and tools, etc etc). I have only shared security cos that’s my area.

20 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by giselle237: 6:05am On Mar 22, 2023
tshoboy:
I think a lot of us are also hasty to have good credit score. You just have to be patient and follow all the advice shared by others here they doesn’t involve you paying money.
Ideally give it time before applying for credit cards. I see some people who are trying to apply for CC after 2 months. Patience, patience, patience and things will come through.
which 2 months? Some are starting even before they enter. If you read the thread you’ll see this alot. No offense to anyone but I am yet to understand the hurry.

9 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 7:35am On Mar 22, 2023
Tinyemeka:

I used your referral link to sign-up to CreditLadder to be reporting my rent payments and I am not being charged a dime for that service.

£120 a year as extra charge to hold my deposit just to build my credit by Loqbox, in my personal opinion is too high a price to pay. I don't know about others in a similar position.

And that charge was being deducted without pre-information, my permission or consent.

Absolutely not worth it.

People seem to be obsessing too much on this credit building thing without realising that those scores are merely approximations that don't really matter when you're applying for stuff. No lender approves you based on your score at Credit Karma or wherever - they have their own algorithms that factor all the different elements of your credit history, and they don't share that with anyone, not even the credit rating websites.

The fundamentals are time and consistency in clearing your debts. And there's no need to rush it. Using that 10 per month for a phone contract will be a much better investment. Pay your cards down, pay your bills on time, register to vote, and give it time.

Unless you're rushing to get a credit card with a huge limit, in which case you're probably setting yourself up for trouble.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Tinyemeka(m): 8:01am On Mar 22, 2023
NevaUgivup:
I agree with you that Loqbox were being shady with the £2.50 weekly charge. That's a lot of money and they were not open about it.

If you want to downgrade your membership:
Click Membership, Manage my Membership, Choose a different Membership plan, select
Loqbox Lite and continue.

You'll be refunded your £5

Thank you so much.

Done. 🙏
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Tinyemeka(m): 8:07am On Mar 22, 2023
koonbey:

Absolutely not worth it.

People seem to be obsessing too much on this credit building thing without realising that those scores are merely approximations that don't really matter when you're applying for stuff. No lender approves you based on your score at Credit Karma or wherever - they have their own algorithms that factor all the different elements of your credit history, and they don't share that with anyone, not even the credit rating websites.

The fundamentals are time and consistency in clearing your debts. And there's no need to rush it. Using that 10 per month for a phone contract will be a much better investment. Pay your cards down, pay your bills on time, register to vote, and give it time.

Unless you're rushing to get a credit card with a huge limit, in which case you're probably setting yourself up for trouble.

My dear, the credit line availed in credit cards isn't even my target. I was working under the impression that credit facilities such as approval for purchases by installment payments, etc were determined by those factors you mentioned, in addition to the high value of your credit score.

My priority is building a good enough credit history for mortgage application in the near future. I'll just have to settle with the slow and steady process of reporting my timely bills/contract payments.

Thanks for your input.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AgentXxx(m): 8:47am On Mar 22, 2023
Lexusgs430:

Each account you open, is recorded with credit reference agencies.........

Do you want further explanation on impact........🤪

Yes please help with further explanation on the impact and am still confused since it’s always a switch not borrowing credit or closing an account.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 10:08am On Mar 22, 2023
koonbey:

Absolutely not worth it.

This has some elements of truth. For new comers complaining about low credit score, the fact is your credit score is not low, you simply do not have credit history and you cannot fake it. When landlords/companies see this 'low' credit score from reference agencies, they also see in the report that you haven't defaulted in any credit because you simply haven't taken any. Except we are talking about something like mortgage which isn't the case in most instances here.

You can be intentional about it but in most cases, credit score builds itself. Just look for the option to pay by credit (I don't mean credit card) whenever you want to buy something or take a contract before going the debit/advance payment option.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Teebaa: 10:33am On Mar 22, 2023
Chreze:

Cybersecurity (security) is more of PASSION. You can get real security trainings and experience without paying anyone a dime. The only requirement for this is PASSION and time.

My advice is look at cyber security analyst Job descriptions ( with interest in tools you are expected to have skills in), go to YouTube, search for introduction videos to those tools. Learn from people who use these tools daily. Spend time on them.

Real example, Qualys and Splunk are two good tools used in the security space. Go to YouTube watch videos on intro to Splunk and Qualys. You will get videos from the companies directly on YouTube. After this, head straight to their website (Qualys and Splunk). Register and get a free account. This account will give you access to fundamental courses (free) to their tool usage. You will get lab sessions with access to their environments and do real life exercises/experiments. You will get certification after successfully completing the courses. Build your knowledge and security thinking skills. As you progress in this you will find out more useful learning techniques/ideas (like using virtual box for security exercises).

After that stage, jump on videos on YouTube to learn cybersecurity interview questions and answers. Again, multiple videos on YouTube for security analyst interview question and answer. When making searches, start with cyber security as key word. Then progress to searching “security analysts”. Security Analyst search will combine “information security”, “cybersecurity” and general security architecture results. Here you get knowledge about DLP tools, how to configure security tools and how they are used.

All of this can only be achieved thru PASSION. If you have done all of this, you can contact me later and I will schedule a google chat interview with you. Please note that the interview is not to give you job, but to help you prepare for interview with real security managers and boost your confidence.

I have had interview with managers who care about certification and I have had interview with manager who don’t care, they just want to know you are sound. They can tell if you know your onion from just security chats.

Stay blessed.

PS: if your passion is being data analysts, apply same process (starting with job description and tools, etc etc). I have only shared security cos that’s my area.

Thank you very much. I do appreciate
However, i tend to have that passion you speak of for data analysis. I will apply that blue print you mentioned to it then

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 10:38am On Mar 22, 2023
AgentXxx:

Yes please help with further explanation on the impact and am still confused since it’s always a switch not borrowing credit or closing an account.

If I keep coming to your house, and switching one light off and turning on another........

Would/won't you start wandering what I am up to ..........😂🤪

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mizGene(f): 12:40pm On Mar 22, 2023
Regex:

There is always room to negotiate. He can always ask first, if declined, he can negotiate for a shorter term.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mizGene(f): 12:50pm On Mar 22, 2023
Lexusgs430:

If you don't ask...... You don't get .....😂

I learnt this lesson many years ago after I asked (because I was broke) for a discount on my tuition fees and they gave me almost 40% off🤑. I realised I only asked as that was the only option I had, if I had the cash I wouldn't have asked.
Since then I negotiate every and anything.. just saved over 200pounds on my car insurance last week by negotiating with my provider...

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DaveChapelle: 2:56pm On Mar 22, 2023
Lexusgs430:

If I keep coming to your house, and switching one light off and turning on another........

Would/won't you start wandering what I am up to ..........😂🤪
Oga Lexus, how market... Remember me? Mr Juke. How's your CHR?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DaveChapelle: 2:58pm On Mar 22, 2023
mizGene:

I learnt this lesson many years ago after I asked (because I was broke) for a discount on my tuition fees and they gave me almost 40% off🤑. I realised I only asked as that was the only option I had, if I had the cash I wouldn't have asked.
Since then I negotiate every and anything.. just saved over 200pounds on my car insurance last week by negotiating with my provider...
hmmn🤔🤔🤔. How'd you manage that? Was that on annual renewal? Or even after comparison sites?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mizGene(f): 3:20pm On Mar 22, 2023
DaveChapelle:
hmmn🤔🤔🤔. How'd you manage that? Was that on annual renewal? Or even after comparison sites?
Annual renewal. I didn't just automatically renew...gave them a call to update some info for the new year and then negotiated the price of over 800 they quoted me to just over 600. I still asked for more (as Olivia Twist 😀) but they were now asking if I had a better deal so they could match, I didn't (lowest quote I got was almost double £1400) so I took what was on the table.
I think having a history with them helped.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Umeleeds: 3:43pm On Mar 22, 2023
Strata1716:

Hello dear , yes please. I am still looking for a child minder or low key nursery setting . Preferably around BEESTON Leeds. My email is chiumeaka@gmail.com

Hello, I know a babysitter. can you share your email so I can send to her for her to contact you?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 4:01pm On Mar 22, 2023
DaveChapelle:

Oga Lexus, how market... Remember me? Mr Juke. How's your CHR?

Yes o ...... Longest time ......

CHR still cruising........ With over 60K on the clock now ........😂
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 4:03pm On Mar 22, 2023
mizGene:

You don turn wheeler dealer o ........🤣
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 4:18pm On Mar 22, 2023
Thinking of migrating to Germany........🤣

Germany is not attracting skilled migrants, but a magnet to refugees........😂

https://foreignpolicy.com/2023/03/22/skilled-migrants-arent-interested-in-germany/

Germany is begging skilled migrants to come o ......😭

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (892) (893) (894) (895) (896) (897) (898) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.