Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,614 members, 7,816,521 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:34 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (909) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1177602 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (906) (907) (908) (909) (910) (911) (912) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 5:24am On Mar 29, 2023
Damilolly:
I'm trying to book a return ticket to Abuja from London but there seems to be very limited tickets.
I'm looking at 2nd May - 12th May or 27 May to 7 June but for some reason I'm getting overnight layovers and hardly any Lufthansa flights at all.

I flew with Lufthansa about the same time last year and was spoilt for choice. I didn't even book till 4 weeks prior and there were loads of options. Same thing the year before.

Has Lufthansa reduced their flights to Nigeria?
What site do you use to search flights? I used Google and Skyscanner.

How deep is your pocket........😂

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Newbie123: 5:34am On Mar 29, 2023
Solumtoya:

Depends on the provider. For instance, Moneybox does it month-end for funds received before 4th of the month. If it was paid after 4th, will be the next month-end. Something like that

Ok thanks

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by slimanyd: 6:41am On Mar 29, 2023
Lexusgs430:

Buy extra bag capacity) if you don't want to start sweating or throwing things away)........

Or cargo the excess, ahead of your departure........

Meaning one can pay for the excess at the airport if one decides to take above the excess kg ba?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 6:43am On Mar 29, 2023
Poanan:
newbie abeg answer me. This money you deposited on the LISA account, can it be withdrawn if your are not ready to buy a house?
Short response, No!
Long response, yes you can, when you're 60. If you withdraw before 60, you pay a penalty (about 25%). LISA is an instrument for saving towards deposit for your (1st) house or saving towards retirement.
Read more in the property and mortgage thread. See below 👇
semmyk:
Placeholder 3
The government will add a 25% bonus to your savings, up to a maximum of £1,000 per year.
NB: The Lifetime ISA limit of £4,000 counts towards your annual ISA limit. This is £20,000 for the 2022 to 2023 tax year.
Read more ... link: LISA at a glance
Save the students guide on LISA - link

While on LISA, don't lose sight of options

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 6:47am On Mar 29, 2023
Typically, cheaper buying (online) before getting to the airport. [Probably also through the agents, I donno]
slimanyd:
Meaning one can pay for the excess at the airport if one decides to take above the excess kg ba?
Lexusgs430:
Buy extra bag capacity) ...

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by deept(m): 7:17am On Mar 29, 2023
slimanyd:

I think it's£69 per bag up to 32kg

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by slimanyd: 7:18am On Mar 29, 2023
semmyk:
Typically, cheaper buying (online) before getting to the airport. [Probably also through the agents, I donno]

Okay. Thanks. But can one still pay for excess luggage online even after one has already gotten the ticket and he realised his loads are way more than the required maybe after 2 weeks of getting the ticket .
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by slimanyd: 7:18am On Mar 29, 2023
deept:

I think it's£69 per bag up to 32kg

Okay. And can this money be paid at the airport boss or only online ?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rayralph(m): 7:30am On Mar 29, 2023
Tier4Dependant:
NHS people, how long did it take from getting a conditional offer to start date?

Is it okay to email or phone HR for an update?

First Job : offer in November , started May 1st the next year.

Second Job : offer in January, started July same year.

P:S I was the one chasing them for updates.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Peerielass: 7:30am On Mar 29, 2023
mex551:
Good evening my people. Who has traveled with British airways from LHR, I have questions. Are they strict on 2 * 23kg? What if my luggage is 2 to 3kg higher? Also for the cabin luggage, apart from the usual small box of 8kg, can I also carry a laptop bag with some stuff on my back? What is it like here in Heathrow

British Airways has a very generous hand luggage allowance of 23kg and not 8kg. Check the dimensions of your suitcase though, you can also take your laptop bag etc.

https://www.britishairways.com/jba/ba/fi_FI/baggage/bagcabin.html
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 7:57am On Mar 29, 2023
slimanyd:
Okay. And can this money be paid at the airport boss or only online ?
BA has one of the most generous cabin (hand) luggage. Apart from your laptop bag, you can do more than 7kg (be reasonable though): some do literally as much as around 22kg. Beware, this vary from country to countries, and for different destination, (and in some instances, the check-in officer!). By and large, BA is generally liberal.
Regarding paying for extra baggage(s), you can pay online before check-in, or you pay at the airport when checking in. Unfortunately, BA no longer published its extra baggage fee/prices on her site.
What you can do is to get on BA site. For instance, https://www.britishairways.com/travel/managebooking/public/en_gb
Put in your booking reference and surname. Your travel itinerary pops up. Within, kindly look for the baggage section. You'll see an option for adding more baggage 🛄.
The prices of extra baggage, are not as expensive as they used to be; so it seems.
Also, on some route, the difference between (a priori) online price and price at the airport can be as low at only £10 more expensive at the airport. Which is fine. However, on some route, the difference can be as much as £50.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AKALAMAGBO: 8:26am On Mar 29, 2023
Documentation's completed December 2022

Start date May ending 2023….

After rigorous chasing through series of mails… na unto God hand 🖐️ I go dey (Enugu) till May like this…

😹😹
rayralph:

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rinzylee(m): 8:32am On Mar 29, 2023
Damilolly:
I'm trying to book a return ticket to Abuja from London but there seems to be very limited
Has Lufthansa reduced their flights to Nigeria?
What site do you use to search flights? I used Google and Skyscanner.

Check

Booking dot com
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by giselle237: 8:56am On Mar 29, 2023
profemebee:
hi, what if i want to pay for myself and a child? is it possible to pay for both passports in the same cart?
use a one time virtual card and input the child’s name and/or your name as card holder

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mex551(m): 9:01am On Mar 29, 2023
Peerielass:

British Airways has a very generous hand luggage allowance of 23kg and not 8kg. Check the dimensions of your suitcase though, you can also take your laptop bag etc.

https://www.britishairways.com/jba/ba/fi_FI/baggage/bagcabin.html
many thanks for this . I am covered be that 🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻😀😀😀😀😀
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mex551(m): 9:04am On Mar 29, 2023
semmyk:

BA has one of the most generous cabin (hand) luggage. Apart from your laptop bag, you can do more than 7kg (be reasonable though): some do literally as much as around 22kg. Beware, this vary from country to countries, and for different destination, (and in some instances, the check-in officer!). By and large, BA is generally liberal.
Regarding paying for extra baggage(s), you can pay online before check-in, or you pay at the airport when checking in. Unfortunately, BA no longer published its extra baggage fee/prices on her site.
What you can do is to get on BA site. For instance, https://www.britishairways.com/travel/managebooking/public/en_gb
Put in your booking reference and surname. Your travel itinerary pops up. Within, kindly look for the baggage section. You'll see an option for adding more baggage 🛄.
The prices of extra baggage, are not as expensive as they used to be; so it seems.
Also, on some route, the difference between (a priori) online price and price at the airport can be as low at only £10 more expensive at the airport. Which is fine. However, on some route, the difference can be as much as £50.
. Thanks for this. I am covered. But just to also contribute. …extra luggage is £150. I paid for extra luggage in my return leg. Although I used free Avios. 😀😀😀. By the way, I only paid £180 for my return ticket to Naija. I used Amex/BA avios. That card is a life saver 😀😀😀

Meanwhile you can use my link to get your Amex card. Follow who know road
https://americanexpress.com/en-gb/referral/eMeKAOydtG?XL=MIANS

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 9:10am On Mar 29, 2023
mex551:
Good evening my people. Who has traveled with British airways from LHR, I have questions. Are they strict on 2 * 23kg? What if my luggage is 2 to 3kg higher? Also for the cabin luggage, apart from the usual small box of 8kg, can I also carry a laptop bag with some stuff on my back? What is it like here in Heathrow

Lool, of course they're strict with the baggage allowance. You can add a laptop bag to your carry-on.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 9:12am On Mar 29, 2023
slimanyd:

It's not cheap o! Coughing out about £65 for extra 2kg.

PS. I see you're sorted.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hyzich(m): 9:49am On Mar 29, 2023
rayralph:

Lol, UK employers generally take their time. My recruitment process also took 4 months eventho I stated I was available immediately. This is a private coy not nhs tho
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by babajeje123(m): 10:33am On Mar 29, 2023
slimanyd:

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mcleo007(m): 10:56am On Mar 29, 2023
Hello house, good day everyone.

Please does anyone have contact of a trusted house agent that could get one an apartment for rent in London and or outside of London? I'm coming in May as a student.

Thanks!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lolli2pop: 11:01am On Mar 29, 2023
Hey fam, please is anyone coming to London before Friday? I need some help with a wig i bought in Nigeria please.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by harddrive2012: 12:11pm On Mar 29, 2023
Thank you

AlphaUno:

Text or send a WhatsApp to this number for flexible hours job opportunities

+44 7990 550781
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Pogracious: 12:24pm On Mar 29, 2023
Hello Elders,

Any cloud engineer in the house using azure cloud ,please reach out to me.i will appreciate your response.

Kind regards
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Vavi: 12:40pm On Mar 29, 2023
Please gurus in the house, how much is the typical car insurance in London? The cheapest I've seen was about £700-800, but was told I can't access that since I have both UK provisional and Nigeria's international license (UK provisional trumps the Nigeria's international) and now, the prices are in the range of £1100-1300. Is this the normal price range?

Thanks

*I got the UK provisional license so I can begin the process of getting the UK full license. Seems that is not a good plan based on discussion with the insurance company agent I spoke with.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by tolajay: 1:27pm On Mar 29, 2023
Hey! You can create a new thread and mention me. Can't access email now.

harleybee:
@tolajay

If you are here, could you please respond to this message. I kindly require an information from you.
Regards.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Dappy25: 1:57pm On Mar 29, 2023
Jcole123:
Hi guys, I am in the UK as a Skilled Worker dependent. My wife is an healthcare assistant in a care home. I also work 48hrs a week shift in the same care home with my wife. I work 4nights, she works 4days. Been in the uk now for 6months with our kids. (1year and 3years old). Aside this care work, what else can I do? I worked as a process engineer in Nigeria and I also did some personal trainings on data analysis (still learning).

What other jobs can I do aside care bearing in mind I have little kids to look after. How do I build a career path with my current situation.

Thanks guys. Awaiting your response

You can consider looking for Customer Service roles, this is probably one of the office jobs that's easier to get in the UK when you don't have much UK experience. I got 3 job offers at once in January.
Some of these roles can be fully remote which would help you work from home and be with your kids. You can search for Customer Service Advisor/Representative on Indeed. Try to apply to jobs that are hiring multiple people, you stand a better chance this way, also tailor your CV to the role.

As for your long term career, data analysis is in demand you can try get part time volunteer jobs to build your UK experience.

Also watch this video, you might find some helpful tips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyfbE_rYZsA

Wish you all the best.

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Poanan: 2:57pm On Mar 29, 2023
semmyk:

Short response, No!
Long response, yes you can, when you're 60. If you withdraw before 60, you pay a penalty (about 25%). LISA is an instrument for saving towards deposit for your (1st) house or saving towards retirement.
Read more in the property and mortgage thread. See below 👇
Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Poanan: 3:07pm On Mar 29, 2023
Viruses:

You can withdraw it but you will pay a fine of 25%.

Example:

You have deposited £4,000 and govt. has given you £1,000 (which is 25% of your deposit). You now have £5,000.

When you want to withdraw, you'll loose 25% of £5,000 which is £,1250.

Use the above calculations for different amounts.

I don't know if you can withdraw part of your contribution. I only know govt. will give you 25% and you'll loose 25% of the new total if you withdraw. Moneybox live chat is very responsive if you'd like to speak with them.

Thanks so much

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (906) (907) (908) (909) (910) (911) (912) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.