Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,469 members, 7,816,107 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:01 AM

Finally, I Left My Job For Freelancing! - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Finally, I Left My Job For Freelancing! (23474 Views)

Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job / Finally I Got That Job. / Woman With Placard Searching For Job For Her Husband In Lagos (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Finally, I Left My Job For Freelancing! by Whispereye: 3:16pm On Aug 26, 2021
It is a good decision taking into account the fact that you work from 6 am up to 7 pm. You are not a slave and that is great that you've made this decision. I think that you should make a kind of analysis of the market and understand which skills are in the highest demand. Writing skill is good, but you shouldn't stop on that. Also, if you want to do writing, do some courses in order to improve your expertise.

1 Like

Re: Finally, I Left My Job For Freelancing! by Kayyus09(m): 3:19pm On Aug 26, 2021
Don't do it! Except;

If you're already earning from freelancing

If you have someone to lean on for upkeep for a few months

If you don't pay rent..

If not, while you wait a little while, grow your skill, source for gigs (you can contracts out which you can't handle), market peoples goods and services and get commission on referal, have crypto trading knowledge....

From that 50k, invest 25k into crypto (Transhuman Coin (THC) have good potential for growth). If you win, you'll get more to take care of you at later time. If you don't, you learn more.

You've got to be ready to take some risk. Else, it may be round the circle situation.

1 Like

Re: Finally, I Left My Job For Freelancing! by Average9jaman: 3:19pm On Aug 26, 2021
nairarules:

It's just the 25th of August and I already made $2,670 on Upwork this month.

Wake up from your slumber man

What is ur gig/niche??
Re: Finally, I Left My Job For Freelancing! by Lilsameey: 3:23pm On Aug 26, 2021
adaleng:

please help me with the knowledge on how to go about it.
thank You Bros
,..Which skill do you have?, I mean skill that can rendered online. From there we can proceed.
Re: Finally, I Left My Job For Freelancing! by chatinent: 3:25pm On Aug 26, 2021
Matheusmartin:
Can i send you a pm?

You are very free.

1 Like

Re: Finally, I Left My Job For Freelancing! by chatinent: 3:26pm On Aug 26, 2021
Rickylambert:
Drop ur Watsapp number

chatinent@gmail.com is the functional contact now. Let's do it via email.
Re: Finally, I Left My Job For Freelancing! by rahztafari(m): 3:27pm On Aug 26, 2021
ZiiVentures:
I'll be resigning in the from my work place to venture into Freelancing full time. Why?

Because my work is so stressful. It's 6:04am and I'm already late for work. I'll be at the work place doing tedious work till 7:30pm. I'll have to be standing till that evening time of the day. It's a one man business and I risk being fired any time. From March to August, I've been able to save 55k. I don't do it drinks. Neither do I smoke or buy expensive things for myself. Well, yes. I don't have a girlfriend. So saving 55k portrays how zealous I am with the savings with the little I earn. Now, I'm facing a health challenge: a back and waist pain. So I want out.

Planning on focusing on the Freelancing route.

My worry now is, am I making the right decision?

I need your advice. What would you do if you were to be me?

To be or not to be?

First things first ignore all those marketers selling one thing or the other. Those guys are big distractions.

I will also advise you to start getting small gigs first before dumping the job totally. You can decide to stay for one month to test d waters.

This requires work but you have to test first before going head on. Norma norma, u suppose make up to 100k a month on freelance writing. But shit happens

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Finally, I Left My Job For Freelancing! by chatinent: 3:27pm On Aug 26, 2021
olamidedivotee:

The best guys I can recommend to you is Johne and chatinent or seniorwriter

Thank me later

God, please bless this uncle.

Thank you!

Re: Finally, I Left My Job For Freelancing! by jimter44(m): 3:34pm On Aug 26, 2021
We are in the month of vision. Ask God to lead you. He created you for a purpose and until you know and actualize that purpose, running round the circle becomes inevitable.

2 Likes

Re: Finally, I Left My Job For Freelancing! by aluyapreston: 3:36pm On Aug 26, 2021
Pineapplelove:
You are making a mistake. Forget all those people saying they make millions from gigs on upwork and freelancer! Guy naa lie, that naa why they come on nairaland to look for people who will pay for tutorial.

Before you get a gig, you go wait Taya. Don't quite your job except you have other way to generate money first

i make more than 180k monthly. dont have an upwork acct or all of those. My clients are Nairalanders and your typical everyday Nigeria.

now even if i wanted to, i could get a job from upwork direct. you can open an upwork acct, with automatic verification, reviews and even with america id. it is all about the right people to ask and i am in a group where those people exists. life is not so hard. is freelance writting stressful, if you want to make 100k a month the answer is no. if you want to make 200k a month without upwork actt and write fro N2/word and above, maybe.

2 Likes

Re: Finally, I Left My Job For Freelancing! by Bngf: 3:37pm On Aug 26, 2021
Hope
Re: Finally, I Left My Job For Freelancing! by Powersurge: 3:56pm On Aug 26, 2021
ZiiVentures:
I'll be resigning in the from my work place to venture into Freelancing full time. Why?

Because my work is so stressful. It's 6:04am and I'm already late for work. I'll be at the work place doing tedious work till 7:30pm. I'll have to be standing till that evening time of the day. It's a one man business and I risk being fired any time. From March to August, I've been able to save 55k. I don't do it drinks. Neither do I smoke or buy expensive things for myself. Well, yes. I don't have a girlfriend. So saving 55k portrays how zealous I am with the savings with the little I earn. Now, I'm facing a health challenge: a back and waist pain. So I want out.

To be or not to be?

Don't try it. Or you can try it and come back here next three months ti come and check this comment.
Re: Finally, I Left My Job For Freelancing! by atheistandproud(m): 4:09pm On Aug 26, 2021
Pineapplelove:
You are making a mistake. Forget all those people saying they make millions from gigs on upwork and freelancer! Guy naa lie, that naa why they come on nairaland to look for people who will pay for tutorial.

Before you get a gig, you go wait Taya. Don't quite your job except you have other way to generate money first

This is the summary of the matter.

2 Likes

Re: Finally, I Left My Job For Freelancing! by OMONGBALI: 4:10pm On Aug 26, 2021
evil1:
Very true
Only if you know how many accounts I have on different freelancing platforms yet no single gig.
And these freelancing even requires you do the job first then submit it for acceptance.

Imagine creating a website and the client rejects it. Despite their monetary policy, you stand a chance to loose a lot.
Freelancing is actually advisable in aspects like copywriting, transcription, not all areas like web development is good gig.
Most of all you have to compete with users with high ratings and reviews.

The fact that you didn't get a job with multiple accounts doesn't mean it won't work for others, stop discouraging people based on your own bad experience. It's hard but freelancing on Upwork can pay off if you have solid skills, hardwork, patience and a sense of direction.

1 Like

Re: Finally, I Left My Job For Freelancing! by OMONGBALI: 4:11pm On Aug 26, 2021
nairarules:

Let them keep saying nonsense. Upwork pays for those who know what they are doing.

1 Like

Re: Finally, I Left My Job For Freelancing! by eme2015(m): 4:16pm On Aug 26, 2021
verybadmouth:
Good move.
Lost my own job and have been freelancing for a while now. The most important thing is knowing what you want and focusing on your goals.

If you are unemployed and need a job. Check out my signature.

Hello sir, can we talk please ?
Re: Finally, I Left My Job For Freelancing! by PRINCEHAZAEL: 4:18pm On Aug 26, 2021
Lilsameey:
,...Which service do you render?
Data Entry
Virtual assistance
Social Media Marketing
Re: Finally, I Left My Job For Freelancing! by Fabkeyz(m): 4:20pm On Aug 26, 2021
ZiiVentures:

To be or not to be?

You are on the right track brother....

Freelance writing was one of the best things that happened to me.

Made over 7 million naira in a year.. it's not much for a lot of people.... but very okay for me...

Upwork is really amazing if you know your way around....

Also.... I have never lacked clients
... if you don't have clients on upwork...you are probably applying wrongly or you rarely apply for jobs...

With time open your own website (microniche)

Last tip: try to improve your writing by learning copywriting.... it's another gold mine in the writing sector

4 Likes

Re: Finally, I Left My Job For Freelancing! by StylesX: 4:25pm On Aug 26, 2021
nairarules:

what skills do you offer to make this much?
Re: Finally, I Left My Job For Freelancing! by isaythetruth(m): 4:26pm On Aug 26, 2021
OP, you're about to make a big mistake if you quit your job first before you starting earning from freelancing... See you see hunger oo.

To anyone who cares to listen, freelancing is a battlefield. You're competing with millions of freelancers around the globe. It takes patience to survive in it. When I started my freelancing journey, it took me 3months to get a job on Fiverr and less than that to get the same on Upwork, but now, I know how much I make from Upwork.

I decided to pitch my tent with Upwork after one silly Australian man gave me a poor rating on Fiveer which affected my gig somehow. Instead of the guy asking for a review if he wasn't satisfied, he dropped a poor rating.

But since then, God don dey butter my bread via Upwork.

You will almost become frustrated if after a month you don't get a gig, but the trick is to be patient and continue applying for jobs.

Patience is the key if you want to succeed in freelancing.

3 Likes

Re: Finally, I Left My Job For Freelancing! by olamidedivotee(f): 4:26pm On Aug 26, 2021
chatinent:

God, please bless this uncle.

Thank you!

One of your student that have learnt a lot from your telegram group.

No cap. Much respect for you.
Re: Finally, I Left My Job For Freelancing! by chatinent: 4:39pm On Aug 26, 2021
olamidedivotee:

One of your student that have learnt a lot from your telegram group.

No cap. Much respect for you.

Boss, I salute.

I'm happy we are growing together.
Re: Finally, I Left My Job For Freelancing! by Lilsameey: 4:42pm On Aug 26, 2021
PRINCEHAZAEL:

Data Entry
Virtual assistance
Social Media Marketing
,.. Cool, You can drop any of your contact,..
Re: Finally, I Left My Job For Freelancing! by ysgs: 4:44pm On Aug 26, 2021
It's a nice decision. Just follow your mind. But, i was in same shoe before i quit to start my passion. Mind you, procrastination is a thief of time

1 Like

Re: Finally, I Left My Job For Freelancing! by hardon1(m): 4:53pm On Aug 26, 2021
Average9jaman:

What is ur gig/niche??

Dont believe that crap, he just posted that so he could get people to call him, then he will ask for money to send eBook or one crap.

Dem full here

3 Likes

Re: Finally, I Left My Job For Freelancing! by Focusmind: 4:58pm On Aug 26, 2021
Being on your own comes with one kind of freedom and accomplishment. However, you have to be prepared before going solo. I did it and I have no regret. In your own case, you are still struggling and coming from not too well-known company and you haven't built any savings to fall back to.

I planned my exit three years before the year of departure. My solo consulting was already yielding money but not even up to 25% of my salary. I had the necessary savings to sustain me even up to two years without working and had my own place.

So it was easy for me adjusting. Note that being on your own could be frustrating if there is no client. It is difficult out there. I have done only one job for client since this year and yet to see any other.

Think deep!
Re: Finally, I Left My Job For Freelancing! by Nobody: 5:04pm On Aug 26, 2021
brother man you are making a mistake dont let the back pain and waist pain decieve u na nigeria we live even buharis waist dey pain majority of online hustling bro na washhhh in this hardship that 55k wont take u for morethan 2months and believe me even if you will earn via freelancing it will morethan a year to start earning even if u are destined to earn
Re: Finally, I Left My Job For Freelancing! by evil1: 5:21pm On Aug 26, 2021
I'm not discouraging anyone
maybe thats how you view my opinion
OMONGBALI:

The fact that you didn't get a job with multiple accounts doesn't mean it won't work for others, stop discouraging people based on your own bad experience. It's hard but freelancing on Upwork can pay off if you have solid skills, hardwork, patience and a sense of direction.

Re: Finally, I Left My Job For Freelancing! by SmartyPants(m): 5:24pm On Aug 26, 2021
ZiiVentures:

Writing.

I'm also learning character design and animation.

Are you good at what you do? Freelancing is open to all but only true professionals can make a decent living here.

Let the buyer be warned.

2 Likes

Re: Finally, I Left My Job For Freelancing! by directoroluwole: 5:26pm On Aug 26, 2021
sunday478:
I did the same. Sometimes February this year. But before I quoted, I was already earning more than my salary designing website on fiverr. I also had some savings though as a back up in case.

I will advice you start earning little from freelancing before you quit. So that by the time you eventually decide to leave the ample time will enable you earn more.

If you leave without having any source of income at all will make you eat your savings and you will most likely become depressed.

Freelancers experience depression oo.

I joined fiverr today, I don't know how to operate it yet. Please can I talk to you on WhatsApp

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Letter Of An O'level Holder. i'm so disappointed / VLA Recruit Interview / Workforce Online Test, Share Your Experience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.