Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,797 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:07 AM

NHIS - What Has Been Your Experience? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / NHIS - What Has Been Your Experience? (639 Views)

Cancer Surgeries, Chemotherapy Now Covered By NHIS / Biography Of Prof. Mohammed Nasir Sambo: The New NHIS Boss (Photo) / NHIS Executive Secretary Usman Yusuf And The 25 Billion Naira Question (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

NHIS - What Has Been Your Experience? by Enskynelson(m): 10:09am On Aug 27, 2021
Early this year, I registered myself and my wife in NHIS. We chose our hospitals based on recommendations and the place looks good, clean and fine, with many doctors. However, for the times we have visited the hospital, I have noticed that they don't give good drugs. For Malaria and Typhoid treatment, the test was done and they gave my wife a drug that I asked at the Pharmacy outside costs around 400NGN and 600 NGN respectively. And the rest is paracetamol tablets. After less than two weeks, she fell ill again with same symptoms and we went back there. The doctors still said she should do MP and Widal tests. She did and it was the same tyhpoid and Malaria and we were given the same 'cheap' drugs. We had to go to a paharmacy outside and got coartem and Ciprotab and she has been fine since then. That was about four months ago.
Just some weeks ago, my colleague took ill (Malaria symptoms) and he went to his NHIS chosen hospital (not the same as mine). The conducted a test and it was confirmed Malaria and Typhoid. He was still given those class of 400-600NGN drugs and they were not effective as the symptoms continued. He went back to complain and they told him they don't have other drugs! Meanwhile, before he joined NHIS, they used to give him better drugs at that same hospital.
Lastly, my inlaw in another State called and said she was ill. She has been under NHIS for more than 7years. She said she had no money for treatment. I reminded her of NHIS and she laughed. She said they don't always have drugs. They only give paracetamol there as they don't have drugs there. These made me to write this post.

NLanders under NHIS, what has been your experience under the Health Insurance Scheme? For me, the only thing I benefit is the tests examination. I am not confident about the drugs they administer for treatments.

Re: NHIS - What Has Been Your Experience? by harmony940(m): 10:17am On Aug 27, 2021
Yes I had same issue with my son .....
Infact before running a test to determine what was wrong with him I had to shout my voice so high....
A doctor that was closely watching the situation who works for the hospital,called me privately and advised me to register my child in a private hospital or get another card in the same hospital that will not carry Nhis so that I will be treated well...

Nothing works in this country no more...

1 Like

Re: NHIS - What Has Been Your Experience? by portplus: 10:20am On Aug 27, 2021
Enskynelson:
Early this year, I registered myself and my wife in NHIS. We chose our hospitals based on recommendations and the place looks good, clean and fine, with many doctors. However, for the times we have visited the hospital, I have noticed that they don't give good drugs. For Malaria and Typhoid treatment, the test was done and they gave my wife a drug that I asked at the Pharmacy outside costs around 400NGN and 600 NGN respectively. And the rest is paracetamol tablets. After less than two weeks, she fell ill again with same symptoms and we went back there. The doctors still said she should do MP and Widal tests. She did and it was the same tyhpoid and Malaria and we were given the same 'cheap' drugs. We had to go to a paharmacy outside and got coartem and Ciprotab and she has been fine since then. That was about four months ago.
Just some weeks ago, my colleague took ill (Malaria symptoms) and he went to his NHIS chosen hospital (not the same as mine). The conducted a test and it was confirmed Malaria and Typhoid. He was still given those class of 400-600NGN drugs and they were not effective as the symptoms continued. He went back to complain and they told him they don't have other drugs! Meanwhile, before he joined NHIS, they used to give him better drugs at that same hospital.
Lastly, my inlaw in another State called and said she was ill. She has been under NHIS for more than 7years. She said she had no money for treatment. I reminded her of NHIS and she laughed. She said they don't always have drugs. They only give paracetamol there as they don't have drugs there. These made me to write this post.

NLanders under NHIS, what has been your experience under the Health Insurance Scheme? For me, the only thing I benefit is the tests examination. I am not confident about the drugs they administer for treatments.

Same experience o.
In most hospitals, once you are on HMO, you get cheap/less effective drugs.
Re: NHIS - What Has Been Your Experience? by Enskynelson(m): 10:26am On Aug 27, 2021
portplus:

Same experience o.
In most hospitals, once you are on HMO, you get cheap/less effective drugs.
Na wa o. It's not long I registered and hence, I didn't have much experience but the little experience has not been good at all. It seems a scheme just for survival, for those that cannot meet basic healthcare challenges.
Re: NHIS - What Has Been Your Experience? by Enskynelson(m): 10:29am On Aug 27, 2021
harmony940:
Yes I had same issue with my son .....
Infact before running a test to determine what was wrong with him I had to shout my voice so high....
A doctor that was closely watching the situation who works for the hospital,called me privately and advised me to register my child in a private hospital or get another card in the same hospital that will not carry Nhis so that I will be treated well...

Nothing works in this country no more...
shocked OMG!
Laslas, we are all being scammed. Nothing is working really. But where are these issues coming from? Are the hospitals not paid their money or what? The corruption in this NHIS is something else.

1 Like

Re: NHIS - What Has Been Your Experience? by Enskynelson(m): 10:30am On Aug 27, 2021
Lalasticlala
Re: NHIS - What Has Been Your Experience? by harmony940(m): 11:26am On Aug 27, 2021
Please nairaland mode,this should be moved to front-page.....For Nigerians to
Re: NHIS - What Has Been Your Experience? by UzomaFC: 1:03pm On Aug 27, 2021
I thought I was the only seeing the scam called NHIS.
I had to carry my son and wife to another hospital of our family and treat them with a good medicine and since then I have rested.

NHIS is not a good scheme.

1 Like

Re: NHIS - What Has Been Your Experience? by Enskynelson(m): 1:50pm On Aug 27, 2021
UzomaFC:
I thought I was the only seeing the scam called NHIS.
I had to carry my son and wife to another hospital of our family and treat them with a good medicine and since then I have rested.

NHIS is not a good scheme.
When I was not there, I thought I was missing something. This is another national scam that we all need to raise our voice to be heard. You are not alone Sir.
Mynd44, help us push this
Re: NHIS - What Has Been Your Experience? by portplus: 2:28pm On Aug 27, 2021
Enskynelson:

Na wa o. It's not long I registered and hence, I didn't have much experience but the little experience has not been good at all. It seems a scheme just for survival, for those that cannot meet basic healthcare challenges.

The good thing is that you can change hospitals.
You can look around try for another hospital.
You may be lucky to find a good hospital.
Re: NHIS - What Has Been Your Experience? by Enskynelson(m): 2:59pm On Aug 27, 2021
portplus:

The good thing is that you can change hospitals.
You can look around try for another hospital.
You may be lucky to find a good hospital.
Alright. But the testimonies so far doesn't mean the hospitals are not good. The testimonies is that, once you are on NHIS, they don't give you quality service especially as regards treatment.
Re: NHIS - What Has Been Your Experience? by portplus: 8:10am On Sep 01, 2021
Enskynelson:

Alright. But the testimonies so far doesn't mean the hospitals are not good. The testimonies is that, once you are on NHIS, they don't give you quality service especially as regards treatment.

The reason I made the suggestion is because I have come across hospitals who do not compromise standards and don't discriminant against HMO users.
Re: NHIS - What Has Been Your Experience? by Enskynelson(m): 8:19am On Sep 01, 2021
portplus:

The reason I made the suggestion is because I have come across hospitals who do not compromise standards and don't discriminant against HMO users.
Oh... thanks. I will be doing my findings along that line. When I can confirm any, I will apply for a change. Thanks for the contribution

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Birth Rates Globally Are Diminishing Due To Chinese/israeli Virus / Best Nigerian Food Recipes For Weight Loss / Does Anybody Here Know How Best To Treat This Infection?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.