Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,326 members, 7,815,641 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:47 PM

Confusion As Disco Announces Tariff Increase, NERC Silent - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Confusion As Disco Announces Tariff Increase, NERC Silent (23467 Views)

Disregard Reports Of Electricity Tariff Increase - AEDC / Nigerians To Pay More As FG Approves Tariff Increase For Power Companies, Disco / No Tariff Increase, Buhari Ordered Mass Metering - NERC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Confusion As Disco Announces Tariff Increase, NERC Silent by GardenOfGod(m): 6:40am On Aug 29, 2021
CONFUSION AS Disco ANNOUNCES TARIFF INCREASE, NERC SILENT.

There was confusion on Saturday over the increase in electricity tariff after a document allegedly released by Eko Electricity Distribution Company claimed that the power sector regulator had approved tariff hike.

Efforts to get the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission to react to the document were abortive, as the spokesperson for the agency, Usman Arabi, refused to pick calls.

He also did not reply a text message sent to him by our correspondent on the matter.

Although Eko Disco later denied the document, it had allegedly informed its customers earlier that the NERC had directed Discos to increase tariff beginning from September 1, 2021.

In the document, with reference 023/EKEDP/GMCLR/0025/2021, dated August 25, 2021, it was alleged that the Disco officially informed its customers on the decision of upward tariff adjustment effective from September 1, 2021.

“The increase will be reflected on the energy bill for October 2021, which will represent energy consumption for September 2021,” the Disco allegedly stated.

In the notice to power users with meters, the Disco allegedly said, “For metered customers with internal vending arrangements, we urge you to adjust the rates accordingly to reflect the new tariff increase as released by NERC.”

But the Managing Director, EKEDC, Adeoye Fadeyibi, denied the document in a public notice which he personally signed on Saturday.

He said, “Our attention has been drawn to news making the rounds in the media from unsubstantiated sources of a planned adjustment in electricity tariffs.

“Eko Electricity Distribution Plc would like to inform the general public to disregard all such reports not emanating from the management or the company’s website – www.ekedp.com.

Source:
https://punchng.com/confusion-as-disco-announces-tariff-increase-nerc-silent/

Re: Confusion As Disco Announces Tariff Increase, NERC Silent by Monogamy: 6:41am On Aug 29, 2021
I am not going to take them seriously until I read from Reggae... grin

4 Likes

Re: Confusion As Disco Announces Tariff Increase, NERC Silent by Mikelarteta(m): 6:55am On Aug 29, 2021
Confusion everywhere, even the vegetable president you have is confused.

67 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Confusion As Disco Announces Tariff Increase, NERC Silent by Nobody: 6:55am On Aug 29, 2021
Modrov:

And even then we won't have stable power unless we pay the power companies a rate of that enables them to make an adequate profit to make investment in improving things

All the increases we have had so far have not been enough to enable the power companies make a profit since the increases are sanctioned by government, not the companies themselves

And what goverment does is to keep the price of electricity below the cost of production per kwh. This ensures that discos and GENCOS don't make enough of a profit. The government is supposed to pay them a subsidy which in theory is supposed to make up for the losses, but in practice does not because of rising costs of producing electricity.

Allowing discos to set their prices would allow them make a profit to pay for the needed improvements and even encourage more investment

Do you think the workings of an economy is based on just increase in everything and anything? .. there should always be balance.

There are factors to consider..
- You have 35% unemployment rate.
- Inflation in double digit.
- 50% below poverty line.

An increase would lead to increased inflation, more production from factories but less buying power, less product purchase and usage to minimize electricity, thereby more unemployment in various sectors...

Eg.. used my last AC unit for 4 years before it required change.. have used the "new" one for 8years now because it is barely turned on to save power. Now imagine what happens to the Aircondition market.

101 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Confusion As Disco Announces Tariff Increase, NERC Silent by Nobody: 6:55am On Aug 29, 2021
Discos have no choice.

All the discos have been running at a loss because they aren't allowed to charge cost reflective tariffs.

We may all complain, but the truth is if we want power 24 seven we have to pay the market price for power.

Or we could prevail on Buhari to reverse the privatisation of power in return for paying the discos and GENCOS billions in compensation for in essence breaking their contract

Modified

Before you abuse me, and abuse my ancestors, and my desecndants, and call me names ...I suggest you read the report I will link below. You are free to abuse me regardless...but read the report.

Solving the liquidity crunch

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Confusion As Disco Announces Tariff Increase, NERC Silent by kponkedenge(m): 6:55am On Aug 29, 2021
We are still paying for more darkness.

36 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Confusion As Disco Announces Tariff Increase, NERC Silent by amalab30(m): 6:55am On Aug 29, 2021
What is this country turning into?

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Confusion As Disco Announces Tariff Increase, NERC Silent by Benjaniblinks(m): 6:55am On Aug 29, 2021
What Buhari cannot destroy doesn't exist. sad

78 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Confusion As Disco Announces Tariff Increase, NERC Silent by Temidaryour: 6:56am On Aug 29, 2021
This is really sad
Re: Confusion As Disco Announces Tariff Increase, NERC Silent by Ezedon(m): 6:56am On Aug 29, 2021
Yet we are still having epileptic power supply

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Confusion As Disco Announces Tariff Increase, NERC Silent by Olowoshako(m): 6:56am On Aug 29, 2021
Dey just when finished d middle class

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Confusion As Disco Announces Tariff Increase, NERC Silent by Emu4life(m): 6:56am On Aug 29, 2021
Naija matter don tire me, make everybody dey do wetin him like. I no talk again

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Confusion As Disco Announces Tariff Increase, NERC Silent by Ice4jez(m): 6:57am On Aug 29, 2021
Federal govt need money urgently, post Buhari don wedding wahala

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Confusion As Disco Announces Tariff Increase, NERC Silent by dheaven: 6:57am On Aug 29, 2021
Fake news everywhere. Why?
Re: Confusion As Disco Announces Tariff Increase, NERC Silent by solex04(m): 6:57am On Aug 29, 2021
Hmmm this country, na serious problem.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Confusion As Disco Announces Tariff Increase, NERC Silent by Emmerlee(m): 6:58am On Aug 29, 2021
This "shange" regime is really permeating the cells of every Nigerian grin

Una go hear am walahi. There is always a price to pay for compound stupidity shocked

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Confusion As Disco Announces Tariff Increase, NERC Silent by sojayy(m): 6:58am On Aug 29, 2021
Naija na hell fire.....
Re: Confusion As Disco Announces Tariff Increase, NERC Silent by athaboi(f): 6:58am On Aug 29, 2021
Ok
Re: Confusion As Disco Announces Tariff Increase, NERC Silent by yuping(m): 6:58am On Aug 29, 2021
Na to dey rob us remain

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Confusion As Disco Announces Tariff Increase, NERC Silent by FILEBE(m): 6:59am On Aug 29, 2021
We still haven't gotten stable poweer supply. At this age and time that we still have to have outages like it is normal. The Nigerian government has failed us in power sector from the beginning.

Ekedp and ikedc. These companies rake in millions If not billions daily then corruption within these firms is a massive one.
They should look into these corrupt practices rather than loot us for money.

Give us 24hrs power!!!! Is that too much to ask for ? .

People that made Nigeria what is it today, God go judge una

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Confusion As Disco Announces Tariff Increase, NERC Silent by AntiChristian: 6:59am On Aug 29, 2021
kissAh! Fake news!

Na under Ikeja electric I dey!
Re: Confusion As Disco Announces Tariff Increase, NERC Silent by Andyvilly: 6:59am On Aug 29, 2021
Naira is loosing it's spending power, only solution to all these it's to adopt a foreign currency and go back to colonial era, we are not capable of being independent.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Confusion As Disco Announces Tariff Increase, NERC Silent by slawormiir: 7:00am On Aug 29, 2021
Damnnn niggar
They keep on increasing with no regular power

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Confusion As Disco Announces Tariff Increase, NERC Silent by Triangles1(m): 7:00am On Aug 29, 2021
Let the white come and take over their independent.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Confusion As Disco Announces Tariff Increase, NERC Silent by Nobody: 7:00am On Aug 29, 2021
Benjaniblinks:
What Buhari cannot destroy doesn't exist. sad

Buhari is a bad leader but he is not responsible for the privatisation of power or for the laws allowing increases in tarrifs.

Those were set by the previous administration.

Bubu did try to explore the idea of reversing privatisation, but was warned by the agf that it meant the payment of billions in compensation to power companies.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Confusion As Disco Announces Tariff Increase, NERC Silent by temitope27(m): 7:00am On Aug 29, 2021
Awon oloriburuku masanfani

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Confusion As Disco Announces Tariff Increase, NERC Silent by athaboi(f): 7:01am On Aug 29, 2021
Will it really make power stable? Bcoz I see that what they do now is to give constant light to the area that pays well and give little to those you pay less... In abuja it's different area with different power supply. Make they talk make we know, me I can pay but they should assure us of constant power supply
Re: Confusion As Disco Announces Tariff Increase, NERC Silent by Nobody: 7:03am On Aug 29, 2021
Andyvilly:
Naira is loosing it's spending power, only solution to all these it's to adopt a foreign currency and go back to colonial era, we are not capable of being independent.

And even then we won't have stable power unless we pay the power companies a rate of that enables them to make an adequate profit to make investment in improving things

All the increases we have had so far have not been enough to enable the power companies make a profit since the increases are sanctioned by government, not the companies themselves

And what goverment does is to keep the price of electricity below the cost of production per kwh. This ensures that discos and GENCOS don't make enough of a profit. The government is supposed to pay them a subsidy which in theory is supposed to make up for the losses, but in practice does not because of rising costs of producing electricity.

Allowing discos to set their prices would allow them make a profit to pay for the needed improvements and even encourage more investment

1 Like

Re: Confusion As Disco Announces Tariff Increase, NERC Silent by Olamideayomide(m): 7:03am On Aug 29, 2021
But the Managing Director, EKEDC, Adeoye Fadeyibi, denied the document in a public notice which he personally signed on Saturday Nah this aspect weak me pass, you are denying the letter you signed. Nigeria official and lie are like 5&6 grin grin grin grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Confusion As Disco Announces Tariff Increase, NERC Silent by Bullet01(f): 7:03am On Aug 29, 2021
Is there anything baba cannot destroy? Nigeria will not remain the same by the time he is done with his tenure.

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Troops Clear Baale,Kill 5 Boko Haram Terrorists & Rescue 180 Hostages(photos) / Troops Recovers Large Cache Of Arms And Ammunitions At Gursum (photos) / The 2017 Constituency Projects Allocation For 36 States

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.