Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,849 members, 7,820,960 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:21 AM

Investing In Digital Currencies; Looking At The Bigger Picture - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Investing In Digital Currencies; Looking At The Bigger Picture (28221 Views)

How Much Did You Make In Digital Currencies In 2021, See Mine (binance, Etc) / Investing In Digital Currencies. Learn And Earn From The Best Options In 2022. / What Did You Acquire In The Previous Bull Run (digital Currencies) See Mine. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Investing In Digital Currencies; Looking At The Bigger Picture by jedisco(m): 12:11pm On Aug 29, 2021
This thread is an offshoot of the crypt0 investors thread...
That thread is rapidly expanding and now more focused on trading than investment hence why I saw the need to create this...
The focus of this as the name implies is to fertilize thoughts on investing long-term in the space.... Simply put, cutting out the noise and seeing the big picture.....

P.s... most folks get confused asking if crypt0currency = digital currency... Short answer is yes... For all intents and purposes, they are one and thesame... You can choose whatever name suits you

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Investing In Digital Currencies; Looking At The Bigger Picture by obi4eze(m): 12:25pm On Aug 29, 2021
You are very right sir. Most times it's hard to filter the get-quick-rich mindset guys from investors on that thread so I hardly visit it these days.

Many of them want to go into crypt0 without learning and practising the basics and that's were the problem lies. Many are so impatient with the market. These days, I am even careful with the kind of people I teach crypto so that I doesn't shoot himself in the foot.

Thanks for the work you're doing sir.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Investing In Digital Currencies; Looking At The Bigger Picture by jedisco(m): 12:27pm On Aug 29, 2021
First trading vs investing....

Very briefly, as this is the focus of this thread....

I do both... I'd liken a trader to someone who carries his small boat daily to go out on thecoast and fish..... The advantage is that If targeted well, he runs the advantage of getting fish daily or weekly... The disadvantage8s that while chasing one fish, he might loose focus and see himself far into into ocean thereby being meal for others...

This might sound extreme, but in a volatile market like crypt0, that's the everyday occurrence....

Using practical examples...
In March 2019, bitc0in sold off to 3000k usd... It was clear that this was a good place to buy.. while investors averaged in, traders were focused on if to buy at 3k or 3.2k... 6 months later, it didn't matter where you bought.l as bitc0in was about 10k USD
Same scenario occurred when bitc0in sold off to 4000 usd in 2020.

Now moving to Jan- March 2021, investors who bought at 10k were slowly taking profits between 50-60k.... Traders were more interested in trading 10% between 55k and 60k....
Lastly, same scenario occurred when bitc0in sold off to 30k.... Investors averaged in, traders were dillydallying whether to buy at 30k or 31k...

In summary, while there's room for both, in an uptrending market, investors usually win

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Investing In Digital Currencies; Looking At The Bigger Picture by NisforNicky: 12:38pm On Aug 29, 2021
OMG
thanks for this, jedisco

1 Like

Re: Investing In Digital Currencies; Looking At The Bigger Picture by NisforNicky: 12:39pm On Aug 29, 2021
Ibime Dierich5 ilegendd
Re: Investing In Digital Currencies; Looking At The Bigger Picture by Ibime(m): 12:43pm On Aug 29, 2021
Following. . . .
Re: Investing In Digital Currencies; Looking At The Bigger Picture by Griffon(m): 12:44pm On Aug 29, 2021
I'm here to learn.
Re: Investing In Digital Currencies; Looking At The Bigger Picture by jedisco(m): 12:45pm On Aug 29, 2021
Second is the principle of investing in crypt0....

I come across people saying invest what you can afford to loose.... While I understand that, I don't jave money I want to loose...

Point is... My reasoning of seeing crypt0 as a longterm investment is based on certain principles

1. I believe yhe value of bitc0in will trend up with time... Good chance it gets deep into 6 figures in the long-term. If I didn't have a good conviction on this, I wouldn't be in crypt0. On the other hand, if this happens, bitc0in will gibe the opportunity to make life changing wealth

2. I believe (just like Osinanjo said) that digital currencies just like the internet did with communication will cahnge the financial landscape of the world in ways we might not yet imagine.

3. Crypt0 is a rapidly expanding space.... Weve seen stable coyns, defi, staking, institutional adoption, NFTs e.t.c come on and rapidly change the overview of this space

4. Bitc0in rules this space... I'm not a blind fanboy of bitc0in... But until I see large multinationals investing hundreds of millions into alyts.. Till then, I'd want to tag along with big money...

5... Bitc0in will generally give 2-3 opportunities each year to make at least 40- 50% profit... This has been the case for over 10 years... It's these movess I target as a medium term investor... i.e... once I'm convinced bitc0in is on an uptrend, I'm more relaxed with other stuff

6. That those who stick around reap the largest benefits..... Imagine owning one bic0in being worth 300k and earning 7% apr on that while watching your underlying asset appreciate. That's 21k in todays numbers... Equivalent to 10.9 mill (@520 exchange) or 910k ngn each month....

7. If Bitc0in rules this space, then my only reason for trading any other coin should be cos I think it'd perform better than bitc0in over a given period...

8. In a market as volatile as crypt0, it's futile trying to time the top or bottom of a trend... I go to bed with peace in my mind knowing I don't need to sell the absolute top or buy the absolute bottom to make good money in this space

These are the principles of my decision... You might not agree with all, or agree to a lesser extent... But if you think they're false, then I believe you should rethink your decision to own crypt0

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Investing In Digital Currencies; Looking At The Bigger Picture by jedisco(m): 12:45pm On Aug 29, 2021
5... Bitc0in will generally give 2-3 opportunities each year to make at least 40- 50% profit... This has been the case for over 10 years... It's these movess I target as a medium term investor... i.e... once I'm convinced bitc0in is on an uptrend, I'm more relaxed with other stuff

This has been my compass in this market...

I can never time the top or the bottom and I don't try to... I have peace knowing I don't need to do that....

I'm more of a midterm trader transitioning to a long-term trader.....

My investment in this space resolves around such moves which truthfully are not difficult to spot or get on at the early stages...

Making money in crypt0 is easy.... Keeping it is harder...

My investment strategy has resolved around taking opportunities on such large moves and moving profits into less volatile assets... Knowing well that I cannot time the top

As an example, the crypt0 market made a huge move end of last year/beginning of the year.... and from that move, I acquired a duplex....
I'm tilting towards a similar move end of this year and if that comes to play, plan is to repeat same and get some shares +/- deposit some profits into metals

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Investing In Digital Currencies; Looking At The Bigger Picture by TheSTreetman: 12:58pm On Aug 29, 2021
Following massively
Re: Investing In Digital Currencies; Looking At The Bigger Picture by DieRich5: 12:58pm On Aug 29, 2021
Seen
Re: Investing In Digital Currencies; Looking At The Bigger Picture by Mumben(f): 1:25pm On Aug 29, 2021
Keep it coming, we appreciate
Re: Investing In Digital Currencies; Looking At The Bigger Picture by jedisco(m): 1:26pm On Aug 29, 2021
NFA, but talking about trading vs investing.... I believe these 2 vids will do justice...
One was recorded in 2013 and the other 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw29h7LhEuE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zD-1_HBdGR8

7 Likes

Re: Investing In Digital Currencies; Looking At The Bigger Picture by Kobicove(m): 1:32pm On Aug 29, 2021
obi4eze:
You are very right sir. Most times it's hard to filter the get-quick-rich mindset guys from investors on that thread so I hardly visit it these days.

Many of them want to go into crypt0 without learning and practising the basics and that's were the problem lies. Many are so impatient with the market. These days, I am even careful with the kind of people I teach crypto so that I doesn't shoot himself in the foot.

Thanks for the work you're doing sir.

There will always be people who think trading in crypto is a get-rich-quick scheme because of the false impression they see on social media
Re: Investing In Digital Currencies; Looking At The Bigger Picture by Itzlinda(f): 1:42pm On Aug 29, 2021
Nice one oga jedisco. So do you believe in any other solid coin other than Bitcoin?

3 Likes

Re: Investing In Digital Currencies; Looking At The Bigger Picture by anjilgreat(f): 2:19pm On Aug 29, 2021
@ OP, thanks for sharing!
Re: Investing In Digital Currencies; Looking At The Bigger Picture by Ibime(m): 2:58pm On Aug 29, 2021
jedisco:
NFA, but talking about trading vs investing.... I believe these 2 vids will do justice...
One was recorded in 2013 and the other 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw29h7LhEuE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zD-1_HBdGR8

Bookmarked. That DavinciJ15 video is legendary. Will watch the Benjamin Cowen one later.
Re: Investing In Digital Currencies; Looking At The Bigger Picture by tobadex1(m): 3:25pm On Aug 29, 2021
Following.....we are here to learn and earn
Re: Investing In Digital Currencies; Looking At The Bigger Picture by Krch: 3:58pm On Aug 29, 2021
doing crypto on the long run with forex and binary daily

Re: Investing In Digital Currencies; Looking At The Bigger Picture by fashionnisir(f): 6:23pm On Aug 29, 2021
Krch:
doing crypto on the long run with forex and binary daily

please, strictly on cryptocurrency investment.
Re: Investing In Digital Currencies; Looking At The Bigger Picture by fashionnisir(f): 6:31pm On Aug 29, 2021
An investor has a longer investment period and rarely trade,and his risk averse. uses fundamental analysis with profit mothed of price appreciation , dividends/ coin burn. expectations of airdrops and Hard forks every 4 years, next one will be 2023 .

1 Like

Re: Investing In Digital Currencies; Looking At The Bigger Picture by Burchester: 7:04pm On Aug 29, 2021
Ibime:

Bookmarked. That DavinciJ15 video is legendary. Will watch the Benjamin Cowen one later.

1 Like

Re: Investing In Digital Currencies; Looking At The Bigger Picture by jedisco(m): 7:18pm On Aug 29, 2021
One part of investing in crypt0 is planning for the windfall lomg before it arrives....

Crypt0 as weve come to see can be volatile with high waves and huge tides....

Generally looking for ways to lock in profits when a huge upside move ensures would ensure one has the dry powder to buy when the dips come calling....

One way I do this is by cycling crypt0 profits into less volatile investments.... Most times, this is outside the crypt0 space... Could be certain investment accounts, TB's (in the past), some stocks e.t.c... Recently, I also stake stable coyns to let hige wins cool off

The summary of this is that one should always seek an edge in navigating the market... Not holding for eternity and hoping

6 Likes

Re: Investing In Digital Currencies; Looking At The Bigger Picture by jedisco(m): 7:58pm On Aug 29, 2021
Ibime:

It's truly one of those vids that'd never die....

I love Cowen for his unpopular view on the market

1 Like

Re: Investing In Digital Currencies; Looking At The Bigger Picture by jedisco(m): 8:11pm On Aug 29, 2021
Staking....

This is one aspect ofter overlooked... Thinking being that a 10% move is just another day in crypt0...

But then, most will end up holding coyns for long periods without earning on them....

This is the reward on staked assets in one of my crypt0 apps...good enough, its flexible... So I can unstake and sell my assets asap.
If you catch a proper market dip on alyts like we had the last few months, and plan to hold for a while, staking them can give good profits....

In the long run, if I'm lucky to accumulate good amounts of bitc0in, I'd just mainly stake tgem and let it be...

Also, sometimes, locked staking (which gives better retuns)is helpful when I don't want to tamper with some assets for a while... E.g when u snipe bitc0in during a selloff, I just sensibly staje it for 3 months fes..

6 Likes

Re: Investing In Digital Currencies; Looking At The Bigger Picture by Ibime(m): 8:22pm On Aug 29, 2021
jedisco:

It's truly one of those vids that'd never die....

I love Cowen for his unpopular view on the market

Please you will still bookmark us to the resources you used to learn crypto trading. . . . on the other thread though

4 Likes

Re: Investing In Digital Currencies; Looking At The Bigger Picture by fashionnisir(f): 8:27pm On Aug 29, 2021
jedisco:
Staking....

This is one aspect ofter overlooked... Thinking being that a 10% move is just another day in crypt0...

But then, most will end up holding coyns for long periods without earning on them....

This is the reward on staked assets in one of my crypt0 apps...good enough, its flexible... So I can unstake and sell my assets asap.
If you catch a proper market dip on alyts like we had the last few months, and plan to hold for a while, staking them can give good profits....

In the long run, if I'm lucky to accumulate good amounts of bitc0in, I'd just mainly stake tgem and let it be...

Also, sometimes, locked staking (which gives better retuns)is helpful when I don't want to tamper with some assets for a while... E.g when u snipe bitc0in during a selloff, I just sensibly staje it for 3 months fes..

we call that diversification of crypto portfolio

2 Likes

Re: Investing In Digital Currencies; Looking At The Bigger Picture by fashionnisir(f): 8:37pm On Aug 29, 2021
btc has the lowest reward returns of 0.25

1 Like

Re: Investing In Digital Currencies; Looking At The Bigger Picture by ElectronicMoney(m): 9:35pm On Aug 29, 2021
Whether you're trading or investing so long as you're making money it's all good smiley

2 Likes

Re: Investing In Digital Currencies; Looking At The Bigger Picture by jedisco(m): 1:39am On Aug 30, 2021
jedisco:

2. I believe (just like Osinanjo said) that digital currencies just like the internet did with communication will cahnge the financial landscape of the world in ways we might not yet imagine.

I've spent the better part of the last 2 hours looking into the NFT space and while it's still quite speculative for now, it's amazing what potential it holds. More interesting is that a good number of people drawn to the space aren't the regular crypt0 people..

So folks who would have never owned Crypt0 at all are now monetising their art based on a platform underpined on crypt0. This goes to butress my point that crypt0 will change digital transactions in unseen ways

3 Likes

Re: Investing In Digital Currencies; Looking At The Bigger Picture by jedisco(m): 1:56am On Aug 30, 2021
Another is crypt0 loans....
Now, this is not for everyone

But the fact that one can borrow fiat at rates of lower than 1% using their crypt0 currency as collateral is significant.... This is similar to traditional borrowing against ones stocks e.t.c just that it's quicker, faster and cheaper.

Most crypt0 backed borrowing firms already have billions of dollars in borrowed assets...

https://tokentax.co/blog/8-best-crypto-loans/

To put things in context,
Bitc0in has continued to grow year on year. No one who's held bitc0in for 4 years has been at a loss... So that means I can obtain a loan at 1% interest rate against an asset that growing 10-20% year on year... That's some good arbitrage

Take for example, I need some cash and I have 2 Bitc0in around a time I feel its undervalued e.g during the selloff to 3k e.t.c...
I could borrow fiat against my bitc0in at a rate of 1% and payback wh..

E.g say I have 1 bitc0in and the market price is 20k USD and I need 5k usd and I don't want to sell my bitc0in just yet... I could deposit part of the bitc0in, borrow 5k usd at 1% months later, the price of bitc0in could have recovered to say 35kusd, I could sell then and offset my debt and wait for a dip to buy back and still own my 1 bitc0in

In that way, I'm leveraging on my asset to create wealth. This is an everyday occurrence on financial markets and generally how some families built their wealth without selling their assets.

Now, like I said, this is not something I'd advise anyone new to financial markets to dabble with...

13 Likes

Re: Investing In Digital Currencies; Looking At The Bigger Picture by jedisco(m): 2:03am On Aug 30, 2021
Ibime:

Please you will still bookmark us to the resources you used to learn crypto trading. . . . on the other thread though

Sure, I'd still be active on the trading thread....

This is an offshoot to discuss on how to benefit from the space without the usual buying and selling and bothering ourselves with daily charts...cos frankly, my best wins in this space was when I sat back, blinded myself of the volatility and let the market do it's thing to my portfolio....

You are a sh*tcoyn guru... Will appreciate your insight into investing in that space

12 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Eurobond / SEC Bans Binance Nigeria Limited: It Is An Illegal Entity / Your Best Investment Option, Key In Now

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.