Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,808 members, 7,817,344 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:40 AM

Professor Bruce Onobrakpeya's 89th Birthday Is Today - Art, Graphics & Video (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / Professor Bruce Onobrakpeya's 89th Birthday Is Today (20212 Views)

Chinwe Chukwuogo-roy 68th Posthumous Birthday Is Today / Medium : Pen On Paper Marshall Bruce Mathers III (EMINEM) / My Biro Sketch Of Bruce Lee (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Professor Bruce Onobrakpeya's 89th Birthday Is Today by Nobody: 11:15am On Aug 30, 2021
Incandescent:

His name sounds like he's from Delta.. Besides if you read the article, the first paragraph says he was born to Urhobo parents.

I meant the title "Professor" I simply asked which University was he a professor because nothing in the write up suggests he was a University professor or even had a Bachelors degree. He went to Nigerian College of Arts, Science and Technology in 1957, it wasnt a degree awarding institution. ABU was etablished in 1962, it's earliest degree graduates would have been 1965/66.

3 Likes

Re: Professor Bruce Onobrakpeya's 89th Birthday Is Today by dfrost: 11:16am On Aug 30, 2021
Only one person can bring legends to life.

naptu2 wink
Re: Professor Bruce Onobrakpeya's 89th Birthday Is Today by Brushstrokes20: 11:16am On Aug 30, 2021
Happy birthday baba grin
Re: Professor Bruce Onobrakpeya's 89th Birthday Is Today by Lightorder: 11:20am On Aug 30, 2021
Happy birthday sir. ART IS LIFE
Re: Professor Bruce Onobrakpeya's 89th Birthday Is Today by dododawa1: 11:20am On Aug 30, 2021
Love what you are doing.
Re: Professor Bruce Onobrakpeya's 89th Birthday Is Today by sylve11: 11:23am On Aug 30, 2021
Happy birthday sir.

Wish you plenty more returns in good health and wealth.

I love art, wish I could find someone to teach me. cool
Re: Professor Bruce Onobrakpeya's 89th Birthday Is Today by zabuur: 11:29am On Aug 30, 2021
SEGLIZ:
I learnt about him back in secondary school during my fine art classes.

Me too

Twins 7 7
Re: Professor Bruce Onobrakpeya's 89th Birthday Is Today by Skillsnigeria: 11:41am On Aug 30, 2021
cool
Re: Professor Bruce Onobrakpeya's 89th Birthday Is Today by Mosopzy23: 11:46am On Aug 30, 2021
I remember hearing this man name back then in CCA classes.

.Do you want to make money with your phone. Now is the right time. With Affiliate marketing you could make as much as 200k a month.
Check my signature for more.
Re: Professor Bruce Onobrakpeya's 89th Birthday Is Today by McTobe(m): 11:52am On Aug 30, 2021
Woow MR Ejiamike the renowned Art Teacher from Onitsha has a unique way of pronouncing his name and ever since then the name got stucked in my head... HAPPY BIRTHDAY SIR
Re: Professor Bruce Onobrakpeya's 89th Birthday Is Today by Lubumbashi: 11:52am On Aug 30, 2021
His name usually popped up in fine arts exam papers back in day. Happy birthday to the maestro.
Re: Professor Bruce Onobrakpeya's 89th Birthday Is Today by otbamc: 12:10pm On Aug 30, 2021
Learnt about him alot in secondary school fine arts classes.
My fine art teacher would call him Bluce Onoblakpeya ��

3 Likes

Re: Professor Bruce Onobrakpeya's 89th Birthday Is Today by atheistandproud(m): 12:16pm On Aug 30, 2021
Buffalo2:
Yes. With Yusuf Grillo, Ben Enwowu, Aina Onabolu, Twin 77, etc
God bless my fine art teacher, Mr Kolawole.

You just took me back to GST102 grin grin grin
Re: Professor Bruce Onobrakpeya's 89th Birthday Is Today by FarahAideed: 12:27pm On Aug 30, 2021
Solid Legend
Re: Professor Bruce Onobrakpeya's 89th Birthday Is Today by naptu2: 12:33pm On Aug 30, 2021
Drats! I forgot to post 2 more articles!
Re: Professor Bruce Onobrakpeya's 89th Birthday Is Today by Omoedeki: 2:00pm On Aug 30, 2021
His father was the oldest man then in Ogharha Agbarha in Ughelli North Local government before passing to the great beyond. The gene runs in their family.
Re: Professor Bruce Onobrakpeya's 89th Birthday Is Today by tesseract: 2:03pm On Aug 30, 2021
Studied about him in JSS 2 Fine Arts. Legend indeed.

Happy birthday Prof.
Re: Professor Bruce Onobrakpeya's 89th Birthday Is Today by IbileIfe: 2:11pm On Aug 30, 2021
Happy Birthday great man of the arts.
I am happy for you with all the thanksgivings to Almighty God for blessing you with long life and prosperity.

Prof. Bruce Onobrakpeya is one of the greatest artists of all time.
I am proud to have been tutored by him and I made him proud by representing Nigeria as an illustrator at two international book fairs cosponsored by the UNESCO in Japan in 1983. I was the youngest participant among lecturers, including professors. Then in 1993, I had the honour as a curator to include his unique artworks in the 1993 World AIDS Day Art Exhibitions at the National Museum and National Arts Theatre in Lagos, Nigeria. If there was a Nobel Prize for fine arts, he would have won it.

He is also the most published African artist in contemporary modern art.

3 Likes

Re: Professor Bruce Onobrakpeya's 89th Birthday Is Today by naptu2: 2:34pm On Aug 30, 2021
perambulator:

excuse me, where did the "professor" come from?

3rd post on this thread:
Artist-in- Residence Associate prof. Elizabeth City State University, Elizabeth City, North Carolina, U.S.A.

https://blerf.org/index.php/biography/onobrakpeya-prof-bruce/

Also here: https://peoplepill.com/people/bruce-onobrakpeya

And here: https://dailytrust.com/reminiscences-with-prof-bruce-onobrakpeya?fbclid=IwAR1qu6ZkLyiDdG1ud537owPJbXYjFW303QLgzwDlYzfp6Y-aSw0Or4MKaT0

Etc.
Re: Professor Bruce Onobrakpeya's 89th Birthday Is Today by AdemolaA2: 2:48pm On Aug 30, 2021
osamz007:

For 5Alive
Re: Professor Bruce Onobrakpeya's 89th Birthday Is Today by AdemolaA2: 2:49pm On Aug 30, 2021
Snitch24:

For 4larin
Re: Professor Bruce Onobrakpeya's 89th Birthday Is Today by Buffalo2(m): 3:12pm On Aug 30, 2021
atheistandproud:

You just took me back to GST102 grin grin grin
grin
Re: Professor Bruce Onobrakpeya's 89th Birthday Is Today by Nobody: 3:35pm On Aug 30, 2021
naptu2:

3rd post on this thread:

And here: https://dailytrust.com/reminiscences-with-prof-bruce-onobrakpeya?fbclid=IwAR1qu6ZkLyiDdG1ud537owPJbXYjFW303QLgzwDlYzfp6Y-aSw0Or4MKaT0

Etc.

I see. Technically an associate professor is not a professor and is not referred to as Professor. American institutions often use the term "professor" very loosely to mean teacher/lecturer. In Nigeria and the common wealth an associate professor is called a called a reader and is a level below a full professor. Either way associate professors and Assistant professors are not referred to as professors.

Sometimes People with expertise or experience in a feild (e.g politicians, retired CEOs etc) may be appointed as "Visiting professors" for a year or 2 in a University to lend their body of knowledge........ it does not mean they suddenly become Professors.

2 Likes

Re: Professor Bruce Onobrakpeya's 89th Birthday Is Today by naptu2: 3:49pm On Aug 30, 2021
perambulator:

I see. Technically an associate professor is not a professor and is not referred to as Professor. American institutions often use the term "professor" very loosely to mean teacher/lecturer. In Nigeria and the common wealth an associate professor is called a called a reader and is a level below a full professor. Either way associate professors and Assistant professors are not referred to as professors.

Sometimes People with expertise or experience in a feild (e.g politicians, retired CEOs etc) may be appointed as "Visiting professors" for a year or 2 in a University to lend their body of knowledge........ it does not mean they suddenly become Professors.

I already know all these. The university is an American university.
Re: Professor Bruce Onobrakpeya's 89th Birthday Is Today by Nobody: 3:52pm On Aug 30, 2021
naptu2:

I already know all these. The university is an American university.

the man is a very accomplished man, I dont know if he is the one refering to himself as professor but it is a disservice to him to refer to him as "professor" because it will bring mockery to him among the academic community. it's like someone with a honorary degree refering to himself as "Dr"

1 Like

Re: Professor Bruce Onobrakpeya's 89th Birthday Is Today by naptu2: 3:57pm On Aug 30, 2021
perambulator:

the man is a very accomplished man, I dont know if he is the one refering to himself as professor but it is a disservice to him to refer to him as "professor" because it will bring mockery to him among the academic community. it's like someone with a honorary degree refering to himself as "Dr"

From your previous post.

perambulator:

American institutions often use the term "professor" very loosely to mean teacher/lecturer.

I know what you want to do, but I'm not interested in it. That part of your previous post has settled the matter and that's the end of it as far as I'm concerned. Goodbye. (I won't read your posts anymore). If you've got any issues with that, take it up with the university.

***********************************************************************************************************************

3rd post on this thread:
Artist-in- Residence Associate prof. Elizabeth City State University, Elizabeth City, North Carolina, U.S.A.

Etc.

1 Like

Re: Professor Bruce Onobrakpeya's 89th Birthday Is Today by Nobody: 4:17pm On Aug 30, 2021
naptu2:

From your previous post.

I know what you want to do, but I'm not interested in it. That part of your previous post has settled the matter and that's the end of it as far as I'm concerned. Goodbye. (I won't read your posts anymore). If you've got any issues with that, take it up with the university.

***********************************************************************************************************************

3rd post on this thread:

Etc.

Like I said, the only people entitled to use the rank "Professor" once they are no longer teaching are those who attained the rank of full professor. Even Obama who taught law for 12 years and served as a "professor" at Havard is refered to as MR Obama not even "Dr" because he doesnt have a P.h D. and never became a full professor. Wole Soyink doesnt have a Ph.d but he rose to become a full professor and so can be referred to as professor. There is a former Nigerian Politician who was a "visiting professor" at Oxford...he doesnt go around calling himself professor.

It's only in Nigeria we do this nonsense. The annoying thing is that from his accomplishments, this is a man who is internationally acknowledged. You are not doing him any favours, you may think you are "bigging him up" amongst the ignorant masses but you are instead subjecting him to ridicule amongst his peers. Members of the academic community who see this, would mock him privately. I had never heard of him but instead of this being an occasion to celebrate an accomplished Nigerian, what is going on in my head as you can see (and I am sure I'm not the only one) is "why is he calling himself or allowing people to call him professor"?

A man of his distinct acheivement and acclaim does not need to be embellished!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Professor Bruce Onobrakpeya's 89th Birthday Is Today by Deffi(m): 4:25pm On Aug 30, 2021
Happy Birthday Uncle Bruce Onobrakpeya.....you were so popular back then in my Uniben days, 80s. May you age with grace
Re: Professor Bruce Onobrakpeya's 89th Birthday Is Today by Realhommie(m): 9:41pm On Aug 30, 2021
otbamc:
Learnt about him alot in secondary school fine arts classes.
My fine art teacher would call him Bluce Onoblakpeya ��
Hahahaha.. Your fine arts teacher was definitely Urhobo.

HBD to a living legend, an icon extraordinaire..
Re: Professor Bruce Onobrakpeya's 89th Birthday Is Today by IbileIfe: 10:49pm On Aug 30, 2021
perambulator:

Like I said, the only people entitled to use the rank "Professor" once they are no longer teaching are those who attained the rank of full professor. Even Obama who taught law for 12 years and served as a "professor" at Havard is refered to as MR Obama not even "Dr" because he doesnt have a P.h D. and never became a full professor. Wole Soyink doesnt have a Ph.d but he rose to become a full professor and so can be referred to as professor. There is a former Nigerian Politician who was a "visiting professor" at Oxford...he doesnt go around calling himself professor.

It's only in Nigeria we do this nonsense. The annoying thing is that from his accomplishments, this is a man who is internationally acknowledged. You are not doing him any favours, you may think you are "bigging him up" amongst the ignorant masses but you are instead subjecting him to ridicule amongst his peers. Members of the academic community who see this, would mock him privately. I had never heard of him but instead of this being an occasion to celebrate an accomplished Nigerian, what is going on in my head as you can see (and I am sure I'm not the only one) is "why is he calling himself or allowing people to call him professor"?

A man of his distinct acheivement and acclaim does not need to be embellished!!
You are right.
But let it pass.

For his books alone, he should have be a full termed Professor
Re: Professor Bruce Onobrakpeya's 89th Birthday Is Today by xjiggy: 11:18pm On Aug 30, 2021
This is a living Legend. Let's celebrate Prof for the great achievements and attention it brought to Nigerian artists. Happy birthday SIR

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Years Of Motion Graphics / Graphics Services / 7 Pieces Of Stunning Street Art That Cleverly Interacts With Nature [photos]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.