Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,468 members, 7,816,104 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:55 AM

Type Of Laptop He Needs - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Type Of Laptop He Needs (773 Views)

Why People Always Think Those That Make Use Of Laptop Are Into Fraud? / What Specs Of Laptop Is Best For Programming. / I Want To Learn Programming, What Brand Of Laptop Would You Advice I Get? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Type Of Laptop He Needs by NickyNickel(m): 9:39pm On Aug 30, 2021
I'm a newly deployed corp member and I want to you this one year to some Tech Skills.

First is to get a second hand system. But I don't really know the specifications I should look out for. Like ram/rom size etc
My budget is 65k.

Advice please!!
Re: Type Of Laptop He Needs by revived: 3:27am On Aug 31, 2021
NickyNickel:
I'm a newly deployed corp member and I want to you this one year to some Tech Skills.

First is to get a second hand system. But I don't really know the specifications I should look out for. Like ram/rom size etc
My budget is 65k.

Advice please!!

Search shopinverse on Instagram

1 Like

Re: Type Of Laptop He Needs by Denn(m): 7:01am On Aug 31, 2021
NickyNickel:

My budget is 65k.

Advice please!!

Your budget might actually limit the kind of tech skills you might learn from the potential laptop. RAM alone goes for around 8k for 8gb. So a 16gb upgrade is around 16k. Some people claim to be able to work with a 4gb RAM laptop. Maybe for web development but this is 2021. Some tools even peg minimum requirements to 8gb these days.

Secondly, you need a computer with multicore processors. All those old single core intels might be good for watching YouTube but wont be able to load any major IDE and run simulators. Minimum you should consider is a core i5.

HDDs are still passable if you are a learner and dont mind spending time waiting for it to spool data but the optimum is an SSD.

Upgradability. Buy a laptop that has upgradable internal components. The RAM and storage must not be soldered in. This way, you can buy a cheap laptop with 4gb ram and then upgrade later to 8 or 16. The storage too must be removable allowing HDD to SDD swap. You will definitely thank me later for this tip.

Battery. Your laptop must have an appreciable power supply. Tech softwares dey chop battery. Watching tutorials for hours on end consumes power too. If you have uninterrupted power supply, then you can get away with a sub par battery, but if not, your laptop must have a good battery.

Screen size. Except you have an external monitor, dont do less than 14 inches. You might need split screens between your tutorials and work sheet.

Dedicated graphics. Determine if the laptop has a dedicated graphics or only relies on integrated. Some tech skills depend on dedicated graphics chips…

Backlit keyboard. Not necessary but if you work through the night (most techies do), you would find it to be an advantage. You wont need to put on your room lights thereby reducing the strain on your eyes. As i said, not a deal breaker if other specs are good but an additional advantage.

If you notice, i did not ask what tech skills you might want to acquire. My opinion is to browse through a few of them first before you settle down on the ones that you really do have a passion for. Dont do XYZ because you heard someone is making money out of it. At the end of the day, it is passion that will keep you awake at night to spend the hours on learning and becoming a pro.

In summary;
8gb to 16gb RAM
Minimum of core i5
SSD preferred but HDD can do temporarily.
Upgradable internals
Good battery
Dedicated graphics
14 inches display minimum
Optional backlit keyboard

Cheers

12 Likes

Re: Type Of Laptop He Needs by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:04am On Aug 31, 2021
Denn:

Your budget might actually limit the kind of tech skills you might learn from the potential laptop. RAM alone goes for around 8k for 8gb. So a 16gb upgrade is around 16k. Some people claim to be able to work with a 4gb RAM laptop. Maybe for web development but this is 2021. Some tools even peg minimum requirements to 8gb these days.

Secondly, you need a computer with multicore processors. All those old single core intels might be good for watching YouTube but wont be able to load any major IDE and run simulators. Minimum you should consider is a core i5.

HDDs are still passable if you are a learner and dont mind spending time waiting for it to spool data but the optimum is an SSD.

Upgradability. Buy a laptop that has upgradable internal components. The RAM and storage must not be soldered in. This way, you can buy a cheap laptop with 4gb ram and then upgrade later to 8 or 16. The storage too must be removable allowing HDD to SDD swap. You will definitely thank me later for this tip.

Battery. Your laptop must have an appreciable power supply. Tech softwares dey chop battery. Watching tutorials for hours on end consumes power too. If you have uninterrupted power supply, then you can get away with a sub par battery, but if not, your laptop must have a good battery.

Screen size. Except you have an external monitor, dont do less than 14 inches. You might need split screens between your tutorials and work sheet.

Dedicated graphics. Determine if the laptop has a dedicated graphics or only relies on integrated. Some tech skills depend on dedicated graphics chips…

Backlit keyboard. Not necessary but if you work through the night (most techies do), you would find it to be an advantage. You wont need to put on your room lights thereby reducing the strain on your eyes. As i said, not a deal breaker if other specs are good but an additional advantage.

If you notice, i did not ask what tech skills you might want to acquire. My opinion is to browse through a few of them first before you settle down on the ones that you really do have a passion for. Dont do XYZ because you heard someone is making money out of it. At the end of the day, it is passion that will keep you awake at night to spend the hours on learning and becoming a pro.

In summary;
8gb to 16gb RAM
Minimum of core i5
Upgradable internals
Good battery
Dedicated graphics

Cheers

Amazing advice unfortunately his price won't get him something in this list. Laptops have become so expensive over the past one year, it's just insane.
Re: Type Of Laptop He Needs by Denn(m): 9:26am On Aug 31, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Amazing advice unfortunately his price won't get him something in this list. Laptops have become so expensive over the past one year, it's just insane.

i bought a laptop in Dubai just before Covid for 650AED (N65,000 then). i sold same laptop last month for N130,000...

Good deals however are still on JiJi from people willing to dispose 'old stock'. I got my 2012 MacBook Pro on JiJi.

PS: Avoid 2011 MacBook Pro if you don't know your way around the GPU issue. Most sellers are even selling 2011 and 2012 at similar prices anyway, so just get the 2012 non retina. 2012 retina has almost similar specs to the non retina and costs almost twice as much. If you have the money, get the 2015 retina. You can ignore the 2016+ due to keyboard issues.
Re: Type Of Laptop He Needs by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:32am On Aug 31, 2021
Denn:

i bought a laptop in Dubai just before Covid for 650AED (N65,000 then). i sold same laptop last month for N130,000...

Good deals however are still on JiJi from people willing to dispose 'old stock'. I got my 2012 MacBook Pro on JiJi.

PS: Avoid 2011 MacBook Pro if you don't know your way around the GPU issue. Most sellers are even selling 2011 and 2012 at similar prices anyway, so just get the 2012 non retina. 2012 retina has almost similar specs to the non retina and costs almost twice as much. If you have the money, get the 2015 retina. You can ignore the 2016+ due to keyboard issues.
Same here I got a hp folio before covid for 75k. The laptop goes for around 150k now. 100 percent price increase.

1 Like

Re: Type Of Laptop He Needs by NickyNickel(m): 11:04pm On Aug 31, 2021
Denn:

In summary;
8gb to 16gb RAM
Minimum of core i5
Upgradable internals
Good battery
Dedicated graphics

Cheers

I found this quite inciteful...Thanks Boss. I appreciate
Re: Type Of Laptop He Needs by Rollsnjaguar(m): 3:17pm On Sep 03, 2021
NickyNickel:

My budget is 65k.

Advice please!!

(1) (Reply)

Javascript:how Do I Use drawBox Function.. / Complete Qrcode Payment System - Flutter / Checkout Screenshots Of My Ongoing SSCE/JAMB Quiz Mobile App Built With Flutter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.