Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,128 members, 7,811,187 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:40 AM

We’re Not Starting Strike Tuesday — ASUU - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / We’re Not Starting Strike Tuesday — ASUU (1185 Views)

We’re Working To End ASUU Strike -FG / We’re Not Sure Of Reopening In 2020 ― ASUU Regrets / Why We're Starting Strike Soon - Lecturers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

We’re Not Starting Strike Tuesday — ASUU by sinkhole: 3:46am On Aug 31, 2021
The Academic Staff Union of Universities, ASUU, is not embarking on industrial action from Tuesday, a member of the National Executive Committee, NEC, of the union has said.

The NEC member, who is also the Chairman of the University of Lagos, UNILAG, chapter, Dr. Dele Ashiru, in a chat with Vanguard on Monday, explained that there are steps and processes for the union to embark on strike.

He, however, agreed that the union gave the Federal Government up till Tuesday, August 31, to meet some demands.

According to Ashiru, “Yes, we gave the government till the end of this month to meet some demands of ours.

“However, assuming that the demands are not met within the stipulated period, we won’t just begin an industrial action that same day.

“The reason is that ASUU is not a one-man union and is not run like a one-man show. If the demands are not met, the national leadership would call a meeting of NEC and report back to it.

"It is at that NEC meeting that the next step would be decided on. As we talk now, no NEC meeting has been called and so the likelihood of a strike starting on Tuesday is not there.

“Our demands from the government are just three. We want the government to sign and implement the renegotiated agreement we have with them;

“That the government should also mainstream our Academic Earned Allowances and to pay the N40 billon Revitalisation Fund,” he explained.

Recall that the union and the FG had a face-off that led to a nine-month strike by ASUU last year.

The strike was called off last December, but up until now most of the promises made by the government are yet to be fulfilled.

Other issues that union wants the government to address are the implementation of the Integrated Personnel Payroll and Information System, IPPIS, and the proliferation of universities, especially by state governments in the face of poor funding.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2021/08/were-not-starting-strike-tomorrow-ASUU/

Re: We’re Not Starting Strike Tuesday — ASUU by spidey77: 3:54am On Aug 31, 2021
Omo
Re: We’re Not Starting Strike Tuesday — ASUU by sinkhole: 3:58am On Aug 31, 2021
Trust Nigerian politicians at your own peril!
Below, is what the "Honourable" Speaker of the House said, 10months ago
“I will not sign off on a budget that does not meet the reasonable demands of the ASUU, to which Government has already acceded.
Yet, ASUU is still beating the drum of strike today because nothing has been done embarassed

1 Like

Re: We’re Not Starting Strike Tuesday — ASUU by izikgiren(m): 4:40am On Aug 31, 2021
ASUU sef
Re: We’re Not Starting Strike Tuesday — ASUU by SULTAN22(m): 5:38am On Aug 31, 2021
ASUU strike is one of the reasons Why many youths(students) are into Internet fraud.
They are just frustrating students.
Re: We’re Not Starting Strike Tuesday — ASUU by Codeye(m): 7:17am On Aug 31, 2021
Ok. Terrible Government

1 Like

Re: We’re Not Starting Strike Tuesday — ASUU by heykims(m): 7:28am On Aug 31, 2021
These guys should do the needfull, conduct the NEC meeting and let's know the way forward. We know the FG is very irresponsible and won't fulfil any agreement until coaxed by another strike action.

1 Like

Re: We’re Not Starting Strike Tuesday — ASUU by sammysmiles(m): 8:27am On Aug 31, 2021
sad
Re: We’re Not Starting Strike Tuesday — ASUU by JOACHINpedro: 10:24am On Aug 31, 2021
Let them strike this strike once and for all and stop playing with people's future angry
Re: We’re Not Starting Strike Tuesday — ASUU by paulolee(m): 3:41pm On Aug 31, 2021
na wah for this ASUU vs fg matter wey no dey end o
Re: We’re Not Starting Strike Tuesday — ASUU by paulolee(m): 3:42pm On Aug 31, 2021
SULTAN22:
ASUU strike is one of the reasons Why many youths(students) are into Internet fraud.
They are just frustrating students.
DTS not a reason for the increasing rate of internet fraud..I can agree with high poverty and rising unemployment but strike isnt a valid reason
Re: We’re Not Starting Strike Tuesday — ASUU by SULTAN22(m): 4:20pm On Aug 31, 2021
paulolee:

DTS not a reason for the increasing rate of internet fraud..I can agree with high poverty and rising unemployment but strike isnt a valid reason
I said "one the reasons". There are many reasons why boys are into cyber fraud, for me ASUU strike is one of those reasons.
I know boys in my street that took part in fraudulent activities during that 2020 ASUU strike.

(1) (Reply)

Check Your Post Jamb Result Unn. / Inforpreneurship For You / Lasuspts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.