Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,054 members, 7,810,943 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:01 PM

Why Did Jesus Spit On The Ground In The Book Of John? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Did Jesus Spit On The Ground In The Book Of John? (968 Views)

Pastor Michael Todd Coughs & Rubs Spit On Members Face To Prove A Point / How To Answer The Question "Where Did Jesus Say, 'I Am God, Worship Me''? / Reno Omokri Visits Laodicean Church In Turkey, The One Jesus Wanted To Spit Out (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Did Jesus Spit On The Ground In The Book Of John? by Acehart: 11:45am On Sep 02, 2021
After Jesus said this, he spits on the dirt, made some mud, and puts it on the man’s eyes. Jesus told him, “Go and wash in Siloam Pool.” (Siloam means “Sent.”) So the man went to the pool, washed, and came back. He was now able to see. (John 9:6-7, ERV)

He answered, “The man they call Jesus made some mud and put it on my eyes. Then he told me to go to Siloam and wash. So I went there and washed. And then I could see.” (John 9:11)

There are two instances in which the gospels tell of Jesus using spit in the eyes of a blind man whom he healed:

Mark 8:23-25: "When they arrived at Bethsaida, they brought to him a blind man and begged him to touch him. He took the blind man by the hand and led him outside the village. Putting spittle on his eyes he laid his hands on him and asked, "Do you see anything?" Looking up he replied, "I see people looking like trees and walking." Then he laid hands on his eyes a second time and he saw clearly; his sight was restored and he could see everything distinctly.

In this instance, Jesus was only partly successful at his first attempt but succeeded on the second.

John 9:6-7: After Jesus said this, he spits on the dirt, made some mud, and puts it on the man’s eyes. Jesus told him, “Go and wash in Siloam Pool.” (Siloam means “Sent.”) So the man went to the pool, washed, and came back. He was now able to see.

Saliva was widely reported to have medicinal properties in the ancient world. For example, Celsus and Galen mention its healing properties and Pliny collected together many instances of its use in the treatment of boils, pains, sores, snake bites, epilepsy, and eye disease. Plinio Prioreschi reports in A History of Medicine: Roman medicine, page 728, that the god told Vespasian to spit in the eyes of a blind man, who would thereby be cured.

The Jews of the second temple period knew of a tradition that the saliva of a legitimate, first-born heir would have healing properties against injury or disease. When we look back just a few verses in the context of John 9:6-7, at John 8:8, we read of Jesus proclaiming to be the son of God:

"I testify on my behalf and so does the Father who sent me." So they said to him, "Where is your father?" Jesus answered, "You know neither me nor my Father. If you knew me, you would know my Father also."

Then in 8:25-29 (with further references by Jesus to God as his father, throughout the remainder of chapter cool:

So they said to him, "Who are you?" Jesus said to them, "What I told you from the beginning. I have much to say about you in condemnation. But the one who sent me is true, and what I heard from him I tell the world." They did not realize that he was speaking to them of the Father. So Jesus said (to them), "When you lift up the Son of Man, then you will realize that I AM and that I do nothing on my own, but I say only what the Father taught me. The one who sent me is with me. He has not left me alone, because I always do what is pleasing to him."

Having told the Pharisees that He was the legitimate son of God, all that remained was for him to demonstrate this by performing something that first-century Jews expected a legitimate, first-born heir to do. So, then in verse 9:1: "As he passed by he saw a man blind from birth."

Thus, the significance of Jesus using spit, in the context of John chapters 8 and 9, is the affirmation that He is the only begotten Son of God.

Dick Harfield (2015)
Re: Why Did Jesus Spit On The Ground In The Book Of John? by Mbataku96(m): 11:49am On Sep 02, 2021
Okay, the blind man actually had no eye balls in his eye sockets, so Jesus had to perform a creative miracle with the dust off the earth and water, just like in Genesis 2&3 when man was being created.
You can say he manufactured a new set of eye balls for the guy

1 Like

Re: Why Did Jesus Spit On The Ground In The Book Of John? by BassReeves: 12:03pm On Sep 02, 2021
Mbataku96:
Okay, the blind man actually had no eye balls in his eye sockets,
I dont know about having no eyeballs in the socket.

Mbataku96:
so Jesus had to perform a creative miracle with the dust off the earth and water, just like in Genesis 2&3 when man was being created.
You can say He manufactured a new set of eye balls for the guy
Took the words right out of my mouth literally, doubt any need really to complement to what's already all written by this poster.

Most people find the thought of saliva rather disgusting and spitting to be gross, but its even worse when someone else spit is smeared on another's eyes. Obviously the blind man hadn't queunliskanphobia. Imagine if he did, then means his goose is cooked

Digestion actually starts in the mouth and this with saliva, thats used to masticate the food, so it becomes easily absorbed into the body as nutrient

2 Likes

Re: Why Did Jesus Spit On The Ground In The Book Of John? by Acehart: 12:04pm On Sep 02, 2021
Mbataku96:
Okay, the blind man actually had no eye balls in his eye sockets, so Jesus had to perform a creative miracle with the dust off the earth and water, just like in Genesis 2&3 when man was being created.

Yes. Contextually, He is saying He is the legitimate Son of God. In a wider sense, as you said, He is making a claim to be Man's creator- The scriptures say He was making a pot from clay. But there was something wrong with the pot. So the potter used that clay to make another pot. With his hands, he shaped the pot the way he wanted it to be. (Jere. 18:4).

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Did Jesus Spit On The Ground In The Book Of John? by BassReeves: 12:50pm On Sep 02, 2021
Acehart:
Yes. Contextually, He is saying He is the legitimate Son of God. In a wider sense, as you said, He is making a claim to be Man's creator- The scriptures say He was making a pot from clay. But there was something wrong with the pot. So the potter used that clay to make another pot. With his hands, he shaped the pot the way he wanted it to be. (Jere. 18:4).
Genesis 2:7
'then the LORD God formed [that is, created the body of] man from the dust of the ground,
and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life;
and the man became a living being [an individual complete in body and spirit].
'

Isaiah 64:8
'Yet, O LORD, You are our Father; We are the clay,
and You our Potter
, And we all are the work of Your hand.
'

We, all are sons of God or daughters of God, but Jesus is God. Jesus is God Incarnate. Jesus is the only begotten Son of God
He, in an understated and coded way, was revealing to those who would know, who He really is.
He is our Creator
I dare any of the fakes out there to attempt try do similar

3 Likes

Re: Why Did Jesus Spit On The Ground In The Book Of John? by Dtruthspeaker: 1:04pm On Sep 02, 2021
Mbataku96:

I agree, which is why my answer would have been "To prove to us that indeed the raw material used in manufacturing us comes from the earth and Him"!

1 Like

Re: Why Did Jesus Spit On The Ground In The Book Of John? by Mbataku96(m): 1:05pm On Sep 02, 2021
Dtruthspeaker:

I agree, which is why my answer would have been "To prove to us that indeed the raw material used in manufacturing us comes from the earth and Him"!
Exactly
Re: Why Did Jesus Spit On The Ground In The Book Of John? by Dtruthspeaker: 1:07pm On Sep 02, 2021
Mbataku96:

Exactly

Thank you!
Re: Why Did Jesus Spit On The Ground In The Book Of John? by Acehart: 1:20pm On Sep 02, 2021
BassReeves:
Genesis 2:7
'then the LORD God formed [that is, created the body of] man from the dust of the ground,
and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life;
and the man became a living being [an individual complete in body and spirit].
'

and You our Potter
'

We, all are sons of God or daughters of God, but Jesus is God. Jesus is God Incarnate. Jesus is the only begotten Son of God
He, in an understated and coded way, was revealing to those who would know, who He really is.
He is our Creator
I dare any of the fakes out there to attempt try to do similar

Is it possible for all creators to repair a faulty creature?
Re: Why Did Jesus Spit On The Ground In The Book Of John? by BassReeves: 1:23pm On Sep 02, 2021
Acehart:
Is it possible for all creators to repair a faulty creature?
Affirmative. When your 4WD or SUV is faulty and needs repairs, who sensibly, do you take it to?

1 Like

Re: Why Did Jesus Spit On The Ground In The Book Of John? by Acehart: 1:30pm On Sep 02, 2021
BassReeves:
Affirmative. When your 4WD or SUV is faulty and needs repairs, who sensibly, do you take it to?

Why doesn’t God repair every man especially does who are “taken” to Him?
Re: Why Did Jesus Spit On The Ground In The Book Of John? by Dtruthspeaker: 2:29pm On Sep 02, 2021
Acehart:

1) Do you think that they are Truly taken to Him?

2) It is always the Rights of A Repairer to elect not to repair any faulty or damaged product.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Did Jesus Spit On The Ground In The Book Of John? by Kobojunkie: 2:32pm On Sep 02, 2021
Mbataku96:
You need to read your Bible with your eyes open so you are not so easily decieved away from the Truth by the doctrines and traditions of men. undecided

In both Genesis 2 and 3, there is no mention of God using water to make man - Dust was all that was mentioned both times. undecided

Also, that the man Jesus Christ healed was born blind does not then mean he had no eyeballs. undecided
Re: Why Did Jesus Spit On The Ground In The Book Of John? by Acehart: 2:34pm On Sep 02, 2021
Dtruthspeaker:

1) Do you think that they are Truly taken to Him?

2) It is always the Rights of A Repairer to elect not to repair any faulty or damaged product.

1. Have you had a loved one that you took to the Repairer and he or she wasn’t repaired?

2. If the Repairer elects not to repair, then the workshop soon becomes a scrapyard.
Re: Why Did Jesus Spit On The Ground In The Book Of John? by Acehart: 2:38pm On Sep 02, 2021
Kobojunkie:
You need to read your Bible with your eyes open so you are not so easily decieved away from the Truth by the doctrines and traditions of men. undecided

In both Genesis 2 and 3, there is no mention of God using water to make man - Dust was all that was mentioned both times. undecided

Also, that the man Jesus Christ healed was born blind does not then mean he had no eyeballs. undecided

Sand castles/sculptures are held by the moisture content of the sand. You forget that the whole earth was covered by a mist; this says that one couldn’t find 100% dry sand or dust.
Re: Why Did Jesus Spit On The Ground In The Book Of John? by Dtruthspeaker: 2:40pm On Sep 02, 2021
Acehart:

1. Have you had a loved one that you took to the Repairer and he or she wasn’t repaired?

Yep! That's why we are registered with many repair shops and have the contacts of many repair men. grin

Acehart:

2. If the Repairer elects not to repair, then the workshop soon becomes a scrapyard.

Maybe, maybe not! But the value or invalue to you, is that You know He could repair you but He has chosen, not to.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Did Jesus Spit On The Ground In The Book Of John? by Kobojunkie: 2:42pm On Sep 02, 2021
Acehart:

Sand castles/sculptures are held by the moisture content of the sand. You forget that The whole earth was covered by a mist; this says that one couldn’t 100% dry sand.
We are not to add or remove from God's Word right? And twice God stated that He made man from the clay of this earth. Are you saying that God forgot to mention that He also used the water of this earth in making man, this because sandcastles/sculptures.....? undecided
Re: Why Did Jesus Spit On The Ground In The Book Of John? by Acehart: 2:43pm On Sep 02, 2021
[quote author=Dtruthspeaker post=105419998]

Yep! That's why we are registered with many repair shops and have the contacts of many repair men. grin

You took your loved one to a repair man instead of The Repair man.

Maybe, maybe not! But the value or invalue to you, is that You know He could repair you but He has chosen, not to.
Why was your loved one not repaired?
Re: Why Did Jesus Spit On The Ground In The Book Of John? by Acehart: 2:44pm On Sep 02, 2021
Kobojunkie:
We are not to add or remove from God's Word right? And twice God stated that He made man from the clay of this earth. Are you saying that God forgot to mention that He also used the water of this earth in making man, this because sandcastles/sculptures.....? undecided

What is the composition of clay if I may ask?

1 Like

Re: Why Did Jesus Spit On The Ground In The Book Of John? by Kobojunkie: 2:49pm On Sep 02, 2021
Acehart:

What is the composition of clay if I may ask?
What does it matter what the composition of clay/dust of this earth is? undecided

The comment I responded to suggested that by mixing His saliva with clay, Jesus Christ added water as part of the creation process. However, 2wice, God Himself testified that man was made of the clay/dust of this, not dust& water. undecided
Re: Why Did Jesus Spit On The Ground In The Book Of John? by Acehart: 2:53pm On Sep 02, 2021
Kobojunkie:
What does it matter what the composition of clay/dust of this earth is? undecided

The comment I responded to suggested that by mixing His saliva with clay, Jesus Christ added water as part of the creation process. However, 2wice, God Himself testified that man was made of the clay/dust of this, not dust& water. undecided

Okay
Re: Why Did Jesus Spit On The Ground In The Book Of John? by Dtruthspeaker: 2:56pm On Sep 02, 2021
Acehart:
You took your loved one to a repair man instead of The Repair man.

Since you said "The Repair Man" therefore, you mean God, The Creator and The Repairer (I used the Rights of repair men known on earth to explain the Rights of God, and I believe you got it) first, I know He sees and knows all and He always attends to my cases even before I brought it before Him.

So He repaired Mine but I also saw Him Refuse to repair other cases, and I understand why.
Re: Why Did Jesus Spit On The Ground In The Book Of John? by Acehart: 3:03pm On Sep 02, 2021
Dtruthspeaker:

So He repaired Mine but I also saw Him Refuse to repair other cases, and I understand why.

Tell me about your understanding. Why did He refrain?
Re: Why Did Jesus Spit On The Ground In The Book Of John? by Dtruthspeaker: 3:09pm On Sep 02, 2021
Acehart:

Tell me about your understanding. Why did He refrain?

Simple! Because they did qualify to be repaired by Him
Re: Why Did Jesus Spit On The Ground In The Book Of John? by BassReeves: 3:15pm On Sep 02, 2021
Acehart:
Mark 6:1-6
'1Jesus left there and came to His hometown [Nazareth]; and His disciples followed Him.
2When the Sabbath came, He began to teach in the synagogue; and many who listened to Him were astonished, saying, “Where did this man get these things [this knowledge and spiritual insight]? What is this wisdom [this confident understanding of the Scripture] that has been given to Him, and such miracles as these performed by His hands?
3Is this not the carpenter, the son of Mary, and the brother of James and Joses and Judas and Simon? Are His sisters not here with us?” And they were [deeply] offended by Him [and their disapproval blinded them to the fact that He was anointed by God as the Messiah].
4Jesus said to them, “A prophet is not without honor (respect) except in his hometown and among his relatives and in his own household.”
5And He could not do a miracle there at all [because of their unbelief] except that He laid His hands on a few sick people and healed them.
6He wondered at their unbelief.
And He was going around in the villages teaching.
'

Hardly anyone who personally, directly and/or man on man, got into contact with God who weren't healed
It was for lack of faith that only in Nazareth His hometown, He couldn't do as much healings as He would have loved to do

You asked the question that:'Why doesn’t God repair every man especially does who are “taken” to Him?" but have you considered that maybe, they are being taken to the wrong places. That it isnt really the pulpit or bull piss, but its the hospitals or other similar they ought to be taken to.

Have you also considered that the mandate was given to man to oversee affairs on earth and so its really is up to man to do repairs.
Do you always pick after and/or tidy up your kid's rooms for them? Its their room. Right? Its theirs to take care of, isnt? Similar here

2 Likes

Re: Why Did Jesus Spit On The Ground In The Book Of John? by BassReeves: 3:24pm On Sep 02, 2021
Mbataku96:

Kobojunkie:

Acehart:
Sand castles/sculptures are held by the moisture content of the sand. You forget that the whole earth was covered by a mist; this says that one couldn’t find 100% dry sand or dust.

Kobojunkie:
and You our Potter
'

Job 10:8-9
'8Your hands have formed and made me altogether ...
9Remember now, that You have made me as clay
;
So will You turn me into dust again?
'

Its only you, Kobojunkie, who for the sake of sheer argument, refuses to admit that potters use water to mix clay with to make wares.
Why not try a bit of deductive reasoning

3 Likes

Re: Why Did Jesus Spit On The Ground In The Book Of John? by Kobojunkie: 3:31pm On Sep 02, 2021
BassReeves:
Its only you know Kobojunkie, who for the sake of sheer argument, refuses to admit that potters use water to mix clay with to make wares.
Why not try a bit of deductive reasoning
Enough of the meaningless arguing yourself. undecided

Think! So because human potters use water to mix clay implies God must have, as humans, mixed water into the clay He used in making man? God didn't say this... and several times He stated that man was made of clay. undecided

What else does God do exactly as humans do? undecided
Re: Why Did Jesus Spit On The Ground In The Book Of John? by Acehart: 3:34pm On Sep 02, 2021
BassReeves:

Have you also considered that the mandate was given to man to oversee affairs on earth and so its really is up to man to do repairs.
Do you always pick after and/or tidy up your kid's rooms for them? Its their room. Right? Its theirs to take care of, isnt? Similar here

Uhm. Do men have the power to heal by laying of hands or mixing of substances together apart from the medical arena?
Re: Why Did Jesus Spit On The Ground In The Book Of John? by BassReeves: 3:39pm On Sep 02, 2021
Kobojunkie:
[s]Enough of the meaningless arguing yourself. undecided

Think! So because human potters use water to mix clay implies God must have, as humans, mixed water into the clay He used in making man? God didn't say this... and several times He stated that man was made of clay. undecided

What else does God do exactly as humans do? undecided[/s]
If the average human is about 60% water and human babies are about 78% water by weight. Think nah where the water for the first human beings come from then?
Its not everything thing God needs to say.

Several times God stated that man was made of clay without mentioning water because even a thicko knows water is needed for pottery.

It is an obvious necessity angry angry angry
Re: Why Did Jesus Spit On The Ground In The Book Of John? by BassReeves: 3:40pm On Sep 02, 2021
Acehart:
Uhm. Do men have the power to heal by laying of hands or mixing of substances together apart from the medical arena?
What a good and funny question
As for the former, everyone should know their limits in that regards, but as for the latter, except they dont mind being disgraced, I dare anyone of those fakes out there, to go mixing substances together (e.g. clay)
Re: Why Did Jesus Spit On The Ground In The Book Of John? by Kobojunkie: 3:42pm On Sep 02, 2021
BassReeves:
If the average human is about 60% water and human babies are about 78% water by weight. Think nah where the water for the first human beings come from then?
Its not everything thing God needs to say.

Several times God stated that man was made of clay without mentioning water because even a thicko knows water is needed for pottery.

It is an obvious necessity angry angry angry
Again...
Kobojunkie:
Enough of the meaningless arguing yourself. undecided

What else does God do exactly as humans do? undecided
Arguing that because God is , in Isaiah, likened to a Potter means God must mix clay with water to make man is ridiculousness. undecided
Re: Why Did Jesus Spit On The Ground In The Book Of John? by sholay2011(m): 3:47pm On Sep 02, 2021
Kobojunkie:

Bros, calm down.

It's actually implied in Genesis 2:6-7 which says: "but a mist went up from the earth and watered the whole face of the ground.
And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground
, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being."

Man was made from the dust of the ground that had been watered. The same way God asked Jeremiah to go to a Potter's house in Jeremiah 18 to show him how a potter makes a vessel.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Dream Of Pope Signing A Document In The Midst Of Clergymen Plus What The Lord Sa / The Bible Is NOT Free Of Errors Don't Deceive Yourself / How Should We Worship God

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.