Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,761 members, 7,817,103 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:41 AM

My Workers Are Ripping Me On Site - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Workers Are Ripping Me On Site (22801 Views)

I Have Been Robbed By My Workers. Please Help! / Part Time On-site Job / Uchenna Obigwe Exposes How Many Months Workers Are Owed In Abia State (VIDEO) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Workers Are Ripping Me On Site by IbrahimSkiba(f): 9:26am On Sep 06, 2021
Senoiret:
Half of my workers are mid range over 48-55, and constitute the set of people who like to cheat me , I've been extremely nice to my workers in such a way you'll always love to work with me, I pay them promptly , sometimes cook for them and made sure they see enough gain when buying materials aside from their workmanship fee....

There's this carpenter that has been working for me over 2 weeks, he seemed cool at first and sweet coated whenever he dishes me daily report about his work and how well coordinated he works, I decided to give him a trial in the first place but the first work he did was so unsatisfactory he got me angry , someone over 40 years older than me, I gave him money to get nails for me which he never bought for the work , when I requested for the pack of nails he bought he gave me unreasonable excuses... And he was someone who was literally begging to get the job misbehaving to me....

as if that's not enough, I caught my bricklayer with a vehicle to the site loading over 4 bags of cement into the little van they brought, I wish I could record the shock all over his face and the way he was stammering .. And decent guy who I thought was reasonable enough to handle things for me, I sacked the motherfucker, the new one I employed is even worse, he thinks I'm a small buy kus I'm 22 and maybe he's feeling Intimidated by the portfolio of work I'm handling....

so many instances I can't even mention, after showing them love and care, allowing them to eat even when you are paying them well, they'll go at any length to rip you off...

please always open your eyes ooo, most of these worker's but not all are fond of acting crazy and take people they work for granted on site, they feel they are always smarter than. everyone else in the room and know how to cheat their way around you.... we have to do better and more as human, greed is unnecessary a d won't define breakthrough .moment for anybody...

smiley

This one is not serious
Re: My Workers Are Ripping Me On Site by oyeb15: 9:26am On Sep 06, 2021
Normal. Just get ur calculation right. No of cement+ amount of sand divided by number of blocks set equals daily pay.
Re: My Workers Are Ripping Me On Site by PCG001: 9:26am On Sep 06, 2021
Re: My Workers Are Ripping Me On Site by Frales6(f): 9:26am On Sep 06, 2021
That's human being for you...they abuse privileges... always behaving as though you owe them to take care of their needs, especially if you stoop low to carry them along. sorry ok

2 Likes

Re: My Workers Are Ripping Me On Site by tobeye(m): 9:27am On Sep 06, 2021
Try engage someone whose age difference of urs and his is not too much.
Re: My Workers Are Ripping Me On Site by kingbee90: 9:27am On Sep 06, 2021
Bro I can totally relate to your pain. It seems most people are intimidated by young & successful people. The nicer you want to seem, the more people want to take it for granted. They feel you don't deserve to be in that position & they deserve a piece of your pie.
You have to treat Business as business. Always have your job satisfaction as your priority and not the feelings/happiness/welfare of your workers. Always act formal on site & start keeping a serious face.
Trust no one cuz it's a COLD world out there.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Workers Are Ripping Me On Site by newguy1(m): 9:27am On Sep 06, 2021
Senoiret:
Half of my workers are mid range over 48-55, and constitute the set of people who like to cheat me , I've been extremely nice to my workers in such a way you'll always love to work with me, I pay them promptly , sometimes cook for them and made sure they see enough gain when buying materials aside from their workmanship fee....

There's this carpenter that has been working for me over 2 weeks, he seemed cool at first and sweet coated whenever he dishes me daily report about his work and how well coordinated he works, I decided to give him a trial in the first place but the first work he did was so unsatisfactory he got me angry , someone over 40 years older than me, I gave him money to get nails for me which he never bought for the work , when I requested for the pack of nails he bought he gave me unreasonable excuses... And he was someone who was literally begging to get the job misbehaving to me....

as if that's not enough, I caught my bricklayer with a vehicle to the site loading over 4 bags of cement into the little van they brought, I wish I could record the shock all over his face and the way he was stammering .. And decent guy who I thought was reasonable enough to handle things for me, I sacked the motherfucker, the new one I employed is even worse, he thinks I'm a small buy kus I'm 22 and maybe he's feeling Intimidated by the portfolio of work I'm handling....

so many instances I can't even mention, after showing them love and care, allowing them to eat even when you are paying them well, they'll go at any length to rip you off...

please always open your eyes ooo, most of these worker's but not all are fond of acting crazy and take people they work for granted on site, they feel they are always smarter than. everyone else in the room and know how to cheat their way around you.... we have to do better and more as human, greed is unnecessary a d won't define breakthrough .moment for anybody...
The age thing will always be a factor and been nice helps nobody not even u especially u at that age against people that will see them selves as ur father or grandfather.. u have to be tough look arrogant to them by then dey will see u as a bad boy n won’t want to disrespect there age against u

smiley
Re: My Workers Are Ripping Me On Site by rex21: 9:27am On Sep 06, 2021
Senoiret:

smiley

Never ever ever be overly nice to workers, they will certainly take you for granted. never give them more than their fill or less than their share create a firm balance

2 Likes

Re: My Workers Are Ripping Me On Site by OneKinGuy(m): 9:28am On Sep 06, 2021
first of all, don't be over friendly to your workers, even the ones that seniors you with huge gap. Show them you are the one who pay them. You don't have to be necessarily mean or disrespectful to them, just show them you are the higher power and you don't Bleep around.

5 Likes

Re: My Workers Are Ripping Me On Site by zedegit: 9:28am On Sep 06, 2021
WiszyFraud:
Did you know??

Dear men,

A normal erection is:

* strong
* happens when needed
* enough for satisfying sex &
* lasts from few minutes to about ½ an hour

Any experience short of this could be erectile dysfunction.

Please don't feel shy to seek help!

lipsrsealed

Seek help from a fraud?
Re: My Workers Are Ripping Me On Site by lovelyefem(m): 9:29am On Sep 06, 2021
Base on my experience working on construction sites I suggest the following.

1.Address them by Thier names , no appellation such as Mr, Boda or sir.
2. Convert a lowly staff to a snitch. Reward the snitch handsomely for every info leaked .
3 see to it that you know the prices of materials and if possible get the number of suppliers to confirm prices
4. Make sure all the cement is mixed or even ask for video of all procedures.
5 when you pay peanut you end up employing monkeys hence see to it that what you pay your staff is so attractive, reward every extra effort and severely punish every act of tracheary to serve as deterrent.

14 Likes

Re: My Workers Are Ripping Me On Site by sirjamesjnr(m): 9:30am On Sep 06, 2021
Senoiret:

please always open your eyes ooo, most of these workers but not all are fond of acting crazy and take people they work for granted on-site, they feel they are always smarter than. everyone else in the room and knows how to cheat their way around you.... we have to do better and more like humans, greed is unnecessary a d won't define a breakthrough .moment for anybody...

smiley
An average Nigerian is 100% dishonest, have this at the back of your mind when dealing with them and you be ok. Greed and quest for show-off are in our DNA.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Workers Are Ripping Me On Site by EgunMogaji2: 9:30am On Sep 06, 2021
Senoiret:

smiley

1) Mods, please move to property section.

2) OP, it's your fault. In Nigeria all that you are doing is being looked at as you're a Mumu or soft. I'm not saying to be ruthless but you have to let people know that you have two sides. The good side that buys stuff for artisans on site and takes care of them and the bad side that's a mudafuka. That side is prominent and you're doing your best to subdue it and no one should try to let it come out.

2 Likes

Re: My Workers Are Ripping Me On Site by zedegit: 9:31am On Sep 06, 2021
Mount them on a stake, position an AK-47 rifle on them and squeeze the trigger. Don't stop until you empty the magazine.

I hate nonsense. angry
Re: My Workers Are Ripping Me On Site by DesChyko: 9:33am On Sep 06, 2021
This is very bad. Unfortunately, it is very common place.

Until you finish that building, you'ld certainly get ripped off one way or another. That you are considerste is probably the reason you may have it easy. At least their conscience may plague them aright.

It would have been a different story altogether if you handed the project over to a contractor as he is in the better know of how they operate and would take solid steps to curbing it. He will also potentially rip you off by managing materials/using substandard materials.

But as long as you are handling your project yourself and still have to focus on your daily hustle, I'm sorry but you must anticipate and endure until your building is done.

Be it blocks o, cement o, water tank o, tiles o, paints o, except you have an honest man manning and monitoring 24/7, you'ld have to make do with damage control.

1 Like

Re: My Workers Are Ripping Me On Site by Depressed101: 9:33am On Sep 06, 2021
Senoiret:

smiley
keep sacking them... This is the same thing I'm currently dealing with, 80% of Nigerians are all thieves... Set up a system to monitor them, and keep them accountable, this is work ethics all over the world, anybody who caught stealing should be sacked, i have my uncle telling me that I should leave such people that they are humans, that "na where man dey work e for dey chop" , but I don't agree with such philosophy, you only take what you are given.. These set of people run down businesses without adding any value....

And forgot to add, there honest people looking for jobs, alot.. So the idea that every one is the same is a fallacy to dissuade you from sacking erring workers

4 Likes

Re: My Workers Are Ripping Me On Site by hahn(m): 9:33am On Sep 06, 2021
Senoiret:

smiley

Nigerians see anyone that is nice as stupid.

2 Likes

Re: My Workers Are Ripping Me On Site by Realdeals(m): 9:34am On Sep 06, 2021
The Nigeria system lack justice
Let the system begin justice enforcement without bias and see things get back to shape.
Re: My Workers Are Ripping Me On Site by hahn(m): 9:34am On Sep 06, 2021
Depressed101:
keep sacking them... This is the same thing I'm currently dealing with, 80% of Nigerians are all thieves... Set up a system to monitor them, and keep them accountable, this is work ethics all over the world, anybody who caught stealing should be sacked, i have my uncle telling me that I should leave such people that they are humans, that "na where man dey work e for dey chop" , but I don't agree with such philosophy, you only take what you are given.. These set of people run down businesses without adding any value....

The way we support rubbish in this country is baffling. Just imagine what your uncle is saying undecided

3 Likes

Re: My Workers Are Ripping Me On Site by PointZerom: 9:35am On Sep 06, 2021
Senoiret:

I

smiley

Serves you right.
I know that you can't pay trusted ones if you found them.
Re: My Workers Are Ripping Me On Site by greatiyk4u(m): 9:35am On Sep 06, 2021
At your age as reported by you, they believe you didn't make the cash in a genuine way, hence the efforts at collecting their own share of the aza.

Secondly, always entrust your project into the hards of a professional and allow him coordinate and pay workers, by so doing you will reduce stress and waste......

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Workers Are Ripping Me On Site by Oyerinde16(m): 9:35am On Sep 06, 2021
jaeyking:
Treat business as business

In Nigeria today.
Do the right tin as the work described.

Did your work include free ticket meal for them.

Anyone caught doing wrong sack the person

Thousands honest people are ready to fill that spot

You go sack tire, cos even the next one coming most likely is worst, sack again and on one project u would have sack as many people... At the end when the project begins to fail, they will yell you its the person before them that mishandled the project, the only came to patch up...

2 Likes

Re: My Workers Are Ripping Me On Site by Mendy101: 9:36am On Sep 06, 2021
You are not yet ready, allowance brings allowances
1. Do rubbish another person is brought in to complete the work, you might not get your full pay..warn them never to set foot on your site again

2. No free food, that’s what you pay them for, na good person them dey like ripoff.

3. Always be the one to supervise your work, be on ground with them, always make them give account of materials used daily before them go house.

4. As much as possible always follow them to get materials in the market or better still if you be bad guy use their quotation go market yourself.

One would always try to outsmart you but I promise you with the above the losses will be very minimal.

Oh and never pay any laborer complete money for work they have not finished.

1 Like

Re: My Workers Are Ripping Me On Site by DesChyko: 9:38am On Sep 06, 2021
Oyerinde16:

You go sack tire, cos even the next one coming most likely is worst, sack again and on one project u would have sack as many people... At the end when the project begins to fail, they will yell you its the person before them that mishandled the project, the only came to patch up...

His only hope is to finish that project on time. That's when he will rest.
Re: My Workers Are Ripping Me On Site by Jorge91: 9:39am On Sep 06, 2021
Senoiret:

smiley
You were too nice, they will look u like mumu, if u are employing anybody for work employ a young man who can get the job done faster, don’t pay workers all their money, they will never report to site with numerous stories. always have a supervisor at sight reporting directly to you. Maybe this is the first time you are working on something like this, cos if you have done before you will know workers very well.

1 Like

Re: My Workers Are Ripping Me On Site by virtual7(m): 9:39am On Sep 06, 2021
Senoiret:

smiley

Sorry about that bro, that's why you see other contractors are very harsh with labourers.
If you get to flooring, patronize our plastic interlocks they last longer than cement interlocks because they are waterproof

Re: My Workers Are Ripping Me On Site by Cokahot: 9:39am On Sep 06, 2021
Just allow them,but shine your eye?_ my plumber scammed me,carpenter bought inferior locks,tiler did nonsense. Infact na God just know say if to say I get AK 47,there would have been need for body bags. Every damn artisans for naija na scammer. They over inflate prices,accessories seller to inflate price and dump it on dollar hike

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Workers Are Ripping Me On Site by Bishopsgate(m): 9:42am On Sep 06, 2021
Senoiret:

Bros I personally feel your pain, as I have experienced this first-hand.

On the list, from personal experience, I would place Carpenters on the list of most unreliable, followed by plumbers, electricians and then bricklayers.

Suppliers work hand-in-hand with these guys to fleece inexperienced or absent property owners. Your site engineer is the ring leader. He is like a mafia boss who gets a cut on all the racketeering that takes place in your absence and some in you very presence.

They all wanna rob you! Very dad really!!!

smiley
Re: My Workers Are Ripping Me On Site by AmazingELixir: 9:42am On Sep 06, 2021
lipsrsealed

Op you're not alone ooo...the criminals I engaged to mould blocks for me on my site ended up selling off almost half of the cement bags I bought....if not that that the young man that lives next to my property had pity on me and decided to open up...he said he has been seeing me around and likes the way I carry myself humble and respectful he couldn't just stomach the atrocious acts committed by the artisans.

We hatched a plan an caught the criminals red handed..some took to their heels and the others as usual blamed it on the devil and hunger. .had to terminate the contract oo.

My biggest problem now is my supervisor...that guy has almost wrecked me ...he thinks I pluck money from somewhere.

Op the best option is to personal purchase some of those items yourself or better still accompany them to the market, proper supervision is also very important.

The undeniable fact is that most artisans are criminals.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Workers Are Ripping Me On Site by Bishopsgate(m): 9:44am On Sep 06, 2021
Senoiret:

smiley

Bros I personally feel your pain, as I have experienced this first-hand.

On the list, from personal experience, I would place Carpenters on the list of most unreliable, followed by plumbers, electricians and then bricklayers.

Suppliers work hand-in-hand with these guys to fleece inexperienced or absent property owners. Your site engineer is the ring leader. He is like a mafia boss who gets a cut on all the racketeering that takes place in your absence and some in you very presence.

They all wanna rob you! Very dad really!!!

1 Like

Re: My Workers Are Ripping Me On Site by Pyhonist: 9:46am On Sep 06, 2021
Senoiret:

smiley

All you need is a spreadsheet and a humble manager.

Any deficiency and can be easily traced and appropriate sanctions can be imposed on the erring individual(s)….simple

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Should I Accept This Big Job Offer? Pls Advice! / N15,000 Salary In Ibadan Or N10,000 Salary In Osun? / Peter Tabichi, Kenyan Teacher Wins $1M Global Prize

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 154
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.