Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,661 members, 7,809,500 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:36 AM

My Workers Are Ripping Me On Site - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Workers Are Ripping Me On Site (22782 Views)

I Have Been Robbed By My Workers. Please Help! / Part Time On-site Job / Uchenna Obigwe Exposes How Many Months Workers Are Owed In Abia State (VIDEO) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Workers Are Ripping Me On Site by Ayed44: 11:40am On Sep 06, 2021
Senoiret:
Half of my workers are mid range over 48-55, and constitute the set of people who like to cheat me , I've been extremely nice to my workers in such a way you'll always love to work with me, I pay them promptly , sometimes cook for them and made sure they see enough gain when buying materials aside from their workmanship fee....

There's this carpenter that has been working for me over 2 weeks, he seemed cool at first and sweet coated whenever he dishes me daily report about his work and how well coordinated he works, I decided to give him a trial in the first place but the first work he did was so unsatisfactory he got me angry , someone over 40 years older than me, I gave him money to get nails for me which he never bought for the work , when I requested for the pack of nails he bought he gave me unreasonable excuses... And he was someone who was literally begging to get the job misbehaving to me....

as if that's not enough, I caught my bricklayer with a vehicle to the site loading over 4 bags of cement into the little van they brought, I wish I could record the shock all over his face and the way he was stammering .. And decent guy who I thought was reasonable enough to handle things for me, I sacked the motherfucker, the new one I employed is even worse, he thinks I'm a small buy kus I'm 22 and maybe he's feeling Intimidated by the portfolio of work I'm handling....

so many instances I can't even mention, after showing them love and care, allowing them to eat even when you are paying them well, they'll go at any length to rip you off...

please always open your eyes ooo, most of these worker's but not all are fond of acting crazy and take people they work for granted on site, they feel they are always smarter than. everyone else in the room and know how to cheat their way around you.... we have to do better and more as human, greed is unnecessary a d won't define breakthrough .moment for anybody...

smiley
Please kindly note that giving them free meal is not the reason for their fraudulent tendencies. Giving them fee meal is actually a good gesture.

But everything is caused by ur incompetence. Average Nigerian is fraudulent if u give them the chance. Your workers have seen through u and they are taking advantage of ur inexperience.

If u must be a project supervisor, u must always be physically present at the project site. If u must give money to a carpenter to buy nails, he must report back to u and show u what he bought before using the nails. You must spell out to them that any worker who goes back to the site to pick anything outside the official working hours would be treated as a thief. And finally u must have a spy on your site.

Like I said earlier, an average is a thief, all he needs is an opportunity to steal. Your job is to deny him the opportunity by keeping a close eye on him.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Workers Are Ripping Me On Site by Elsueno: 11:51am On Sep 06, 2021
Senoiret ur age no be the problem, u most likely look innocent & smile alot. But there is nothing wrong with that, intact clients/customers love innocent looking people, from my experience they hardly cheat u.

Now you should not change, ALWAYS be nice to them outside work hours... BUT when it comes to business, be very strict, I repeat NEVER BUY THEM FOOD OR ANYTHING during work hours...Just pay them their wages on time.... Always scrutinise supplies thoroughly
Re: My Workers Are Ripping Me On Site by Nobody: 11:56am On Sep 06, 2021
OP u are supose to give ur workers orientation from time to time so that they knw how you work, what u like, what u dont tolerate and how best to work with u smoothly. Thats what i do with my workers and it works.
Anybody who steals must be properly santioned, although such vices by informal workers can only be reduced drasticaly, not completely eliminated
Re: My Workers Are Ripping Me On Site by LegitPlug: 12:05pm On Sep 06, 2021
I can relate to this. I sacked my engineer and all his workers for similar acts. The most surprising part was that they all planned and agreed on how to delay my project so that I would spend more while they also make more money.

Its better you sack then now before they sack you.
Re: My Workers Are Ripping Me On Site by Ajiswaggs(m): 12:08pm On Sep 06, 2021
Senoiret:
Half of my workers are mid range over 48-55, and constitute the set of people who like to cheat me , I've been extremely nice to my workers in such a way you'll always love to work with me, I pay them promptly , sometimes cook for them and made sure they see enough gain when buying materials aside from their workmanship fee....

There's this carpenter that has been working for me over 2 weeks, he seemed cool at first and sweet coated whenever he dishes me daily report about his work and how well coordinated he works, I decided to give him a trial in the first place but the first work he did was so unsatisfactory he got me angry , someone over 40 years older than me, I gave him money to get nails for me which he never bought for the work , when I requested for the pack of nails he bought he gave me unreasonable excuses... And he was someone who was literally begging to get the job misbehaving to me....

as if that's not enough, I caught my bricklayer with a vehicle to the site loading over 4 bags of cement into the little van they brought, I wish I could record the shock all over his face and the way he was stammering .. And decent guy who I thought was reasonable enough to handle things for me, I sacked the motherfucker, the new one I employed is even worse, he thinks I'm a small buy kus I'm 22 and maybe he's feeling Intimidated by the portfolio of work I'm handling....

so many instances I can't even mention, after showing them love and care, allowing them to eat even when you are paying them well, they'll go at any length to rip you off...

please always open your eyes ooo, most of these worker's but not all are fond of acting crazy and take people they work for granted on site, they feel they are always smarter than. everyone else in the room and know how to cheat their way around you.... we have to do better and more as human, greed is unnecessary a d won't define breakthrough .moment for anybody...

smiley
same thing nearly happen to me but thank God I'm smarter than them, I will tell them to do the calcutions of every thing needed for the particular then give me the list, I will go straight to the market and price everything in different stores. Then when I'm ready I call them along to get it together. I also stay with them on site till complete the work. During my foundation, the first brickalayer was trying to play smart on me, I told him to fill the just small pillars with concrete, he told me he will take two boss and 2 servers along. I argue with him that this is a small job that only him can complete self but he said no. Well I told him to go there and fill it before them carry the iron go. So he called me the day he was going and asked if I'm coming to site, I said no that I'm going somewhere. In the afternoon, I carry bike enter site and he was very shocked to see me, I saw only him working, I asked him what about the rest then he started lying that they quickly went down somewhere to do small work for 1 person. I told him to tell them to collect there money from where they are working. Na vex I just comot for site, go report am to person wey recommend am for me. I have to sack him from the job instantly. He was telling people to beg but I stand on order. Very greedy human being. Since then, all other workers no dey try shit with me, I no dey give them face sef.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Workers Are Ripping Me On Site by nativefowl(m): 12:21pm On Sep 06, 2021
Can I get a chance to chop my own.
Re: My Workers Are Ripping Me On Site by Senoiret(m): 12:28pm On Sep 06, 2021
Lol I've experienced worse sir..... this stuff define ones experience over time....it baffles how someone would think they are always smarter than the person that employed you to work
Ajiswaggs:
same thing nearly happen to me but thank God I'm smarter than them, I will tell them to do the calcutions of every thing needed for the particular then give me the list, I will go straight to the market and price everything in different stores. Then when I'm ready I call them along to get it together. I also stay with them on site till complete the work. During my foundation, the first brickalayer was trying to play smart on me, I told him to fill the just small pillars with concrete, he told me he will take two boss and 2 servers along. I argue with him that this is a small job that only him can complete self but he said no. Well I told him to go there and fill it before them carry the iron go. So he called me the day he was going and asked if I'm coming to site, I said no that I'm going somewhere. In the afternoon, I carry bike enter site and he was very shocked to see me, I saw only him working, I asked him what about the rest then he started lying that they quickly went down somewhere to do small work for 1 person. I told him to tell them to collect there money from where they are working. Na vex I just comot for site, go report am to person wey recommend am for me. I have to sack him from the job instantly. He was telling people to beg but I stand on order. Very greedy human being. Since then, all other workers no dey try shit with me, I no dey give them face sef.
Re: My Workers Are Ripping Me On Site by BlueAir: 12:45pm On Sep 06, 2021
Good advice. I was in this guy's shoe not long ago. They all fell back in line where I had one detained and beaten by nscdc. He needs to command that respect since they get it in excess. And should let them know they're not irreplaceable
luv2rolly:
You will continue to get rip off until you treat business as business. no free meal ticket on site but if they want free meals they should come to the house

1 Like

Re: My Workers Are Ripping Me On Site by LegitPlug: 12:47pm On Sep 06, 2021
Ayed44:
Please kindly note that giving them free meal is not the reason for their fraudulent tendencies. Giving them fee meal is actually a good gesture.

But everything is caused by ur incompetence. Average Nigerian is fraudulent if u give them the chance. Your workers have seen through u and they are taking advantage of ur inexperience.

If u must be a project supervisor, u must always be physically present at the project site. If u must give money to a carpenter to buy nails, he must report back to u and show u what he bought before using the nails. You must spell out to them that any worker who goes back to the site to pick anything outside the official working hours would be treated as a thief. And finally u must have a spy on your site.

Like I said earlier, an average is a thief, all he needs is an opportunity to steal. Your job is to deny him the opportunity by keeping a close eye on him.

You're on point but as you rightly said, an average Nigerian is fraudulent, when given the chance they'd take advantage of you and betray your trust.

I tried this on my current project but to my greatest surprise, it was my spy that planned with the site engineer to remove N500 from each worker's daily pay. The act went on for over 2 weeks totalling over N105,000 before I noticed.

The best way of outs to change workers every week.
Re: My Workers Are Ripping Me On Site by BluntCrazeMan: 1:02pm On Sep 06, 2021
Cornerwealth:

They are looking down on you because of your age and that's very clear. You have any elder brother, uncle or friend who can go to the site with you a couple of times to throw them off? So they don't think you are the sole manager of the contract.
Na lie..
A boss is a boss.
He is the person that has their money.
He can seize it, or he can deduct double or even triple of what he caught them stealing.
And nothing will happen.
He is too soft.
And that's the wahalla here.
In this field, there is no mercy.
There are no friends.
Any dulling, you're going to be chopped to zero.
Re: My Workers Are Ripping Me On Site by Mrnairalandd: 1:02pm On Sep 06, 2021
ITbomb:
I'm planning to pay a friend 10k to supervise roofing job for me. Almost voluntary job but I just wan encourage am as time is money and him go use fuel go site.
He is currently free and had two of his properties roofed last year.
Nigeria is just fvrkin crazy with dishonest peeps, religion is just rubbish

Where is your friend based? I ll give him a site supervising job. Each time he goes to supervise them, he gets #5,000. If the job take 2days, he gets 10k. If the job takes 4days, he gets 20k. He doesn’t need to do anything. I only need him to supervise and take picture and send them to me.

1 Like

Re: My Workers Are Ripping Me On Site by Gerrard59(m): 1:04pm On Sep 06, 2021
They steal from you because there are no consequences for their actions. Sack them immediately, no ifs or buts. No free meals whatsoever.

To succeed in business in Nigeria, you have to be hard, very hard, with Nigerians especially semi-skilled workers.
Re: My Workers Are Ripping Me On Site by BRATISLAVA: 1:10pm On Sep 06, 2021
Senoiret:

smiley

Older staff are always a problem. They like stealing and don't want you to mention it out of respect. The young ones aren't much better, but the way the old ones do it will make you hate them, because you expect better from them.
Re: My Workers Are Ripping Me On Site by Randal: 1:14pm On Sep 06, 2021
If your site is in Abuja, hire me to get them in check. Just one week. In fact I'll work for you for just one week and it will be free.

Let me set them straight. When they see you they'll no that you're their Boss.

Just imagine old men stealing.

Senoiret:

smiley
Re: My Workers Are Ripping Me On Site by Speedy001(m): 1:32pm On Sep 06, 2021
Senoiret:

smiley

Am a young civil engineer let me manage the site for you
Re: My Workers Are Ripping Me On Site by Isupaefugbemi00(m): 1:34pm On Sep 06, 2021
lomprico:
I always say this, nobody is going to heaven!
You mean Adeboye is not going heaven too
Re: My Workers Are Ripping Me On Site by hargbolahan01: 1:48pm On Sep 06, 2021
Senoiret:
Thank you all for your candid advice, actually I'm a graduate architect and this is one of my big break with this contract from a friend who decided to reward me with my loyalty about few years ago when he was travelling to the UK..

I know I'm 22 and it can be annoying when people do this to you, I wouldn't like to develop a negaholic attitude to people who work for me at the same time I wouldn't encourage people stealing from me, this project is ongoing at Ibadan, and I'm half way complete with the project, I'm a crazy person and fierce ooo thought but my experiences over the years has made my behavioural realtionship with people on the low not to really show that side at all kus if I mad finish like this, I fit rake innocent people join.... There won't be time for any more smiling faces and restrictions are more enacted now, I've definitely learnt a lot or two from you all, thank you for your candid advice.
I would like to work with your electrical engineers on electrical installation... I'm a student but can do any electrical installation and would like to learn more from your site by work with your electrical engineers..... just want to work with your engineers on site....call or Whatsapp 08134808470
Re: My Workers Are Ripping Me On Site by 22marvelous(m): 1:53pm On Sep 06, 2021
Give me a benefit of doubt by making me a supervisor on the site,u need someone to be ur eyes and your ears, with a touch of versAlity,honesty,dignity and a God-fearing attribute and attitude,you need someone who has a sense of responsibility and accountability,not everyone has that innate qualities,but you have my pledge and my word that you would ve expected we met sooner.
Here is my email address.
Sheamusmichaelewelike@gmail.com
Hope to hear from you soon sir.
Re: My Workers Are Ripping Me On Site by Senoiret(m): 1:58pm On Sep 06, 2021
Front page grin grin grin
Re: My Workers Are Ripping Me On Site by Amofin1(m): 2:27pm On Sep 06, 2021
Senoiret:
If you are in Ibadan and you would like to help in referring a tiler, a false ceiling or pop artisan, and crazy bricklayer who are crafted with excellent skills , you can send me an email.....

I'm an Electrical engineer, experience in Domestic and Industrial electrical
Vast in electrical construction interpretation, Conduit wiring n installation, Motor maintenance and configuration

Call on me for your Electrical wiring and installation,
Re: My Workers Are Ripping Me On Site by Pesbest: 2:31pm On Sep 06, 2021
its obvious the OP does not want a solution to these issues he mentioned but just wants to talk about them. Its okay. i will just pass. i do not like dwelling on issues for too long but rather looking for ways to solve them. Enjoy your time.
Re: My Workers Are Ripping Me On Site by dipsy588(m): 2:31pm On Sep 06, 2021
Hello Bro. I hope you see this but I could be of help if you need my help concerning your workers and thier misconducts. My digits 0.7.0.6.2.2.3.4.3.2.2.
Re: My Workers Are Ripping Me On Site by Amofin1(m): 2:37pm On Sep 06, 2021
ArcSEMPECJ:
OP, seems like you always make them feel you can't do most things for yourself......

I handle my workers well, but what I do is to unite each of them to a single unit and give them a head to take charge of all things in their own unit......

Like all Carpenters have a unit and someone a carpenter heads them.
Like wise bricklayers, iron fitters etc.

With this , you can easily get to all of them without all of them getting familiar with you.

Their heads also knows any failure from his side will cause him a great damage because I can demote a head and raise a better one for the day's work and hand over to him later, these will make the heads know they don't have Monopoly of my trusts but hardwork and sincerity and meeting targets keep them to where I positioned them.

Atimes , I may come to site and feel like exercising my self, I will just ignore thier eye service and start doing minor things some of them where assigned to do,( let them know you are not dependent on them and not a lazy man ) but at the end of that day or week, they will receive from how they worked as well.

So to curtail their excesses...give them a head who will be controlling them and always talk with the head when necessary and not with all of them all the time. Just talk when you see faults to that worker and move on to the head , also make sure you call them to a meeting after 4days of work....it helps to build up lapses and sack defaulters or employ capable hands even know the welfare of those ones the heads are assigned to work with.

I'm an Electrical engineer I'll like to work with you
Re: My Workers Are Ripping Me On Site by ITbomb(m): 2:38pm On Sep 06, 2021
femijay8271:

If you are in Lagos or Ogun State, I can be of help but you go pay me o...if u dey find person wey strict, my whole street can testify to that
Not too strict abeg, the workers need to feel involved to do good job
Re: My Workers Are Ripping Me On Site by ITbomb(m): 2:38pm On Sep 06, 2021
Mrnairalandd:

Where is your friend based? I ll give him a site supervising job. Each time he goes to supervise them, he gets #5,000. If the job take 2days, he gets 10k. If the job takes 4days, he gets 20k. He doesn’t need to do anything. I only need him to supervise and take picture and send them to me.
Akwa Ibom
Re: My Workers Are Ripping Me On Site by Jamesbiodun(m): 2:42pm On Sep 06, 2021
I remember when I was working as site supervisor in 2017, I slept early around 8pm, I woke up 1:30am I just looked outside and saw two guys carrying cement over the fence, I gently sneak outside the site and let them know I saw them, they begged me and tell me to come into the site, my mind just tell me not to go because exactly just dig ground to plant tank, I brought out my dagger and tell them I am not coming, I already have the picture and video... Call my boss and inform him of the situation.... Fear some security and masons and laborer on site angry
Re: My Workers Are Ripping Me On Site by femijay8271(m): 2:43pm On Sep 06, 2021
ITbomb:

Not too strict abeg, the workers need to feel involved to do good job

No probs then
Re: My Workers Are Ripping Me On Site by Originalsly: 2:49pm On Sep 06, 2021
Bro ... you have to have the mindset that everyone you employ is dishonest and will try to cheat you. You need to put measures in place to prevent it. Accountability is key. 10 sacks of cement ... who is responsible? Emeka. Put secret marks on each sack. At the end of the day ... 2 sacks remained. Let him produce the 8 empty sacks. If he can't... he must be fired immediately minus money for the missing empty sacks. If he threatens you... pay soldiers to come and give him a beat down. All employees must know what went down.... but how you know must remain a secret.... they will conclude it's by juju. Trust me .... you wouldn't have a problem again ... but you can't let your guard down.

1 Like

Re: My Workers Are Ripping Me On Site by Speedy001(m): 3:00pm On Sep 06, 2021
[quote author=Mrnairalandd post=105544118]

Where is your friend based? I ll give him a site supervising job. Each time he goes to supervise them, he gets #5,000. If the job take 2days, he gets 10k. If the job takes 4days, he gets 20k. He doesn’t need to do anything. I only need him to supervise and take picture and send them to me. [/quote

Am available sir, civil engineer. am in Lagos can
Relocate
Re: My Workers Are Ripping Me On Site by shawdon(m): 3:01pm On Sep 06, 2021
I can relate to what the Op just narrate. I managed some site around last month. There is a particular welder that stole iron worth of 98k. And the owner of the site is not aware. Yet he still praise the motherfucker.
Re: My Workers Are Ripping Me On Site by Amofin1(m): 3:03pm On Sep 06, 2021
Mrnairalandd:

I'm in Ogijo Shagamu, I'll be glad to supervise your sight, I can relocate
Chat me up 08064998631

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

N15,000 Salary In Ibadan Or N10,000 Salary In Osun? / Should I Accept This Big Job Offer? Pls Advice! / IPPIS: Why CBN, NNPC Are Not On Our Platform

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.