Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,468 members, 7,819,715 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:33 PM

Why The 'Daddy' Craze In Our Churches? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why The 'Daddy' Craze In Our Churches? (9220 Views)

Pastor Marches On His Member: What Is Happening In Our Churches Now? / The Bible Describes 'Jesus' As Black, So Why Do Our Churches Depict A White Man? / The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why The 'Daddy' Craze In Our Churches? by vislabraye(m): 7:45pm On May 24, 2011
Kenny_G:

But it's ok for a 45year old man to call his 25year old boss sir/daddy,

Yes ke. grin grin

Some pastors like to be called Daddy, Papa, Father, May be Uncle. . The extent at which it is going sounds ridiculous. . . I know a young pastor who says, the only person who should called him "Daddy " is his young son. .
Re: Why The 'Daddy' Craze In Our Churches? by publisher(m): 7:48pm On May 24, 2011
@OP:
I think its the protestants' way of further smuggling catholic doctrines (which they once criticised) into their own way of life. When i was much younger,in secondary school,alot of protestants did attack my catholic faith,asking questions such as 'why should we go for confession? Why must we call our priests 'Father', Why are our masses too short,we dont allow holy spirit to guide our church services, Who gave the pope authority over all catholics?

Well today,some pastors have claimed ultimate authority over their subjects,i mean worshippers and they prefer to be called GOs (General overseers)- (Mini Popes).

Today,many protestants visit their pastors and confess their sins to them,and the pastor prays over them,gives them bible verses to read,and their sins are forgiven. - (Confession)

I also understand that RCCG has streamlined its services in all its outposts,with schedules/time tables,making every service shorter,about an hour or so and uniform.

And ofcourse,they now enjoy calling their pastors with their wives,daddy and mummy! (father & mother)

Protestants love to quote Saint Paul,but many fail to understand that though Paul was a great follower of Christ,his calling and ministry was more of a punishment and an act of penance for the multitudes of christ followers he had killed. Paul was not a 'gentile champion', cos Christ had already instructed his disciples to preach to ALL nations,long before Saul's conversion.

In my own bible (though many protestant bibles have turned this upside down) Christ told Peter,and Peter alone that 'you are the rock and on this rock i will build my church'. He wasnt talking to James,Andrew or Paul,he spoke to Peter. And today,the catholic church remains the only church that traces its history down to saint Peter,after over 2000years. Its also the largest,and the most important christian celebration which is Easter was determined by the catholic church, Christmas too,excepted for the eastern rites (still somewhat catholic) who picked January 6th.

Final analysis sha,our churches catholic or protestants will not take us to heaven,neither will our fathers and mothers in israel. But it does pay to belong to the right setting.
Re: Why The 'Daddy' Craze In Our Churches? by shagaman: 8:42pm On May 24, 2011
Daddy i want to drink small stout,
Re: Why The 'Daddy' Craze In Our Churches? by Nobody: 10:22pm On May 24, 2011
This is crazy, sometimes people read the Bible with an earthly mind thus leading to literal interpretations. Enough Bible junkies on this thread!
Re: Why The 'Daddy' Craze In Our Churches? by lastpage: 12:37am On May 25, 2011
Each day l encounter threads like this, l am "HAPPY" grin as it shows that a lot of Nigerians (home and abroad) are begining to read their Bible, THEMSELVES!
They are doing "personal study" and not swallowing the bull-shaet that "SOME" overzealous scammers are preaching!

I can understand the "psychological trauma" the Poster is going through!
They make you feel like you're an OUTCAST, A REBELLIOUS PERSON and that you are arrogant, simply because you dont buy into the "follow-follow" nonsense they do.

For example, in my own Redeem church (seems this scam is the new fad in RCCG churches now), two sundays ago, the Pastor (not even "My" Pastor wink was preaching about serving God.
He told us all that "He" was a "servant of God" and that as such "ALL CHURCH WORKERS" are his own servant!

I was livid with rage! How can l be a servant to another human-being like me? because him be Pastor, right?

Funny thing is that "some" (l keep using the word "some" because l avoid over-generalization though the population is about 90%!) of these Pastors are "NOBODY" before becoming a Pastor; Most people now see "Pastorship" as a sort of elevation to Angelic level and a "get-rich-quick" business!

After church, l pointed out the book of Mathew to him (and some Ministers) where Christ addressed us as "Brothers"!

As expected, they all descended on me like vultures and almost mobbed me grin (l wan spoil business for them? shocked )

Am not fazed and l have told them that they cant "run-me-out" of this church; we built it together, my "sweat" included and it is "our property", not the Pastors personal property.
Imagine, when Pastor and his clique (a kind of cult nowadays) have "Six Special chairs" that are "very comfy and all leather" while the rest of us sit on hard surface chair and they preach for hours on end?
Last time l checked, Jesus and his disciples were so identical it took "a kiss" from Judas to identify him?

Conclusively, IT A SCAM, Period. They are reaping people off to create "personal fortune" for themselves and even boast about it, making church members feel guilty like they are not contributing enough Tithe, thats why they are not as rich as the Pastor!
Just look at that SCAM? More money, right?

God help me if l call any MOG "Daddy", and his appendage wife (imagine the hereditary structure! grin) MUMMY!
Pimps. They know its wrong but they encourage it (since they will not stand on the pulpit and ban it or even discourage it) because it "elevates them" above everyone and who better can scam you, than someone "up there", close to God?

Religion is truly the opium of the people" -- Carl Marx.
Re: Why The 'Daddy' Craze In Our Churches? by Theblessed(f): 4:01am On May 25, 2011
[b][size=16pt] Please, don't call any body daddy or mummy - be they Pastor, Bishop, Prophet or Prophetess DO NOT CALL THEM ANY THING ELSE than 'Man or Woman of God' simple! Any other thing is 'idolatory' and obviously sinful and the Bible condemns it. Exodus Chpt. 20 v. 3 - 4.

If they refuse to answer man or woman of God and I'm sure they won't then, call them by their names after all, if anyone should be call daddy c u m mummy shouldn't it be our Lord Jesus Christ? But, how many of these Pastors and Bishops call him daddy every time.  We all call him by name unless when worshipping and praising God that we praise him with Divine and Sovereighn Names. 

Goes to show that these Pastors who allow their members to call them by such titles, are not of Christ - they are not humble, they are material Pastors/Bishops. The adulation and glories of this world is more important to them than glorifying the Lord to whom all honour and glory belongs to. They are stealing Gods's glory and by making it look as if the power of healing and deliverance comes from them, they will pay! Why?

Because, the gift of healing and deliverance is not theirs.  It was given to them by God through, his Holy Spirit and can be taken away any time and then, what do you have?  An disgraced and  an empty shell of a Pastor/Bishop - it will humble them when their congregation become a thing of the past. 
[/size][/b]
Re: Why The 'Daddy' Craze In Our Churches? by Nobody: 4:47am On May 25, 2011
Op the pastor is the head of your church so he"s like a father so hence he"s called daddy
Re: Why The 'Daddy' Craze In Our Churches? by Nobody: 4:49am On May 25, 2011
shagaman:

Daddy i want to drink small stout,
thats my favourite song cheesy
Re: Why The 'Daddy' Craze In Our Churches? by vislabraye(m): 5:03am On May 25, 2011
But i can call them uncle and aunty. . nah.

But the tiltle mother in Israel is hilarious no be small grin grin grin. According to the hierarchy, she's either no. 3 or 4 .
Re: Why The 'Daddy' Craze In Our Churches? by yommyuk: 5:22am On May 25, 2011
tom28:

Op the pastor is the head of your church so he"s like a father so hence he"s called daddy

I beg to disagree.

I call mine "Alagba Yemi" cool and he ain't got no problem with that
Re: Why The 'Daddy' Craze In Our Churches? by Joagbaje(m): 5:46am On May 25, 2011
You don't create a doctrine from a verse. You need to compare scriptures with scriptures. Every true doctrine ought to be confirmed by many scriptures.

1 Corinthians 4:15
15 You may have countless Christian guardians, but you don't have many spiritual fathers. I became your father in the Christian life by telling you the Good News about Christ Jesus.

Philippians 2:22
22 But ye know the proof of him, that, as a son with the father, he hath served with me in the gospel.

John 19:26
26 When Jesus therefore saw his mother, and the disciple standing by, whom he loved, he saith unto his mother, Woman, behold thy son! 27 Then saith he to the disciple, Behold thy mother! And from that hour that disciple took her unto his own home.

Jesus will contradict himself by calling Mary a mother to john. Let the argument rest. Let us not misapply Jesus teaching. Or else you will have to start  calling  your parents by name.
Re: Why The 'Daddy' Craze In Our Churches? by Dolemite(f): 6:41am On May 25, 2011
Because pastors are pimps, and the pimped usually refer to their pimps as 'daddy'.
Re: Why The 'Daddy' Craze In Our Churches? by Sike(m): 6:58am On May 25, 2011
Dolemite:

Because pastors are pimps, and the pimped usually refer to their pimps as 'daddy'.
Yes oooo! Daddy for Show, lol
Re: Why The 'Daddy' Craze In Our Churches? by okeyistic(m): 7:09am On May 25, 2011
In  Ephesians 6:1 The Bible says"Children,obey your parents in the Lord;for this is right." The pertinent question i wish to ask is, who are the parents in the Lord Paul was talking about?what gave them the status of parenthood? well without beating about the bush,parents in the Lord are simply people God has placed over others in the church or campus fellowship to see to their spiritual and material welfare.If you are thinking the way i am thinking now, you will agree with me that parents in the Lord are Pastors,Bishops,ELders,Deacon and Deaconesses and of course campus fellowship presidents and leaders are parents as it were, as far as the campus community is concerned. Hence, i don't see any big deal if the subjects call them Daddy or mummy or papa or mama.All these nomenclatures shouldn't border us as they are mere mark of respect.
      In addition, it doesn't lie in our mouth to judge who is fake or real among the parents in the Lord as that will amount to work no pay.God has the sole prerogative to judge and give punishment.Lets not incur divine wrath by saying things bigger than our mouth and what we don't have revelation about, we should keep our moth shut.Thanks.
Re: Why The 'Daddy' Craze In Our Churches? by bayodaniel: 9:05am On May 25, 2011
It's simple:just as we have parent in the world,we also have parent in the lord so by extension u can call them daddy and mummy
Re: Why The 'Daddy' Craze In Our Churches? by chines4(m): 10:16am On May 25, 2011
Dolemite:

Thou shall not judge.
Re: Why The 'Daddy' Craze In Our Churches? by TeeJay6(m): 10:43am On May 25, 2011
okeyistic:

In Ephesians 6:1 The Bible says"Children,obey your parents in the Lord;for this is right." The pertinent question i wish to ask is, who are the parents in the Lord Paul was talking about?what gave them the status of parenthood? well without beating about the bush,parents in the Lord are simply people God has placed over others in the church or campus fellowship to see to their spiritual and material welfare.If you are thinking the way i am thinking now, you will agree with me that parents in the Lord are Pastors,Bishops,ELders,Deacon and Deaconesses and of course campus fellowship presidents and leaders are parents as it were, as far as the campus community is concerned. Hence, i don't see any big deal if the subjects call them Daddy or mummy or papa or mama.All these nomenclatures shouldn't border us as they are mere mark of respect.
In addition, it doesn't lie in our mouth to judge who is fake or real among the parents in the Lord as that will amount to work no pay.God has the sole prerogative to judge and give punishment.Lets not incur divine wrath by saying things bigger than our mouth and what we don't have revelation about, we should keep our moth shut.Thanks.
Well said sir, also can i add "Even though you have ten thousand guardians in Christ, you do not have many fathers, for in Christ Jesus I became your father through the gospel." 1 Cor.4:15,
Re: Why The 'Daddy' Craze In Our Churches? by Nobody: 11:58am On May 25, 2011
[size=16pt]Very soon these zombies will start calling their false pastors and Gos Sugar Daddy in the Lord and Sugar Mummy. Mark my words a lot is going on between these false pastors and their zombies after all the tithes are there to spend on their female zombies.[/size]
Re: Why The 'Daddy' Craze In Our Churches? by TeeJay6(m): 12:02pm On May 25, 2011
MrBible:

Very soon these zombies will start calling their false pastors and Gos Sugar Daddy and Sugar Mummy. Mark my words a lot is going on between these false pastors and their zombies after all the tithes are there to spend on the female zombies.
Whatever people choose to call their pastor is their own business, how that is any of your business beggars believe. As usual when you realise your argument is going nowhere you resort to calling people zombies,
Re: Why The 'Daddy' Craze In Our Churches? by Nobody: 12:06pm On May 25, 2011
Whatever people choose to call their pastor is their own business, how that is any of your business beggars believe. As usual when you realise your argument is going nowhere you resort to calling people zombies,

[size=16pt]I have been in this church business for too long, so I know what is going on, my job now is to help others to open their eyes.[/size]
Re: Why The 'Daddy' Craze In Our Churches? by TeeJay6(m): 12:18pm On May 25, 2011
MrBible:

[size=16pt]I have been in this church business for too long, so I know what is going on, my job now is to help others to open their eyes.[/size]
it's not how long, but how well. You can be a churchgoer for 50years and still not have a clue about spiritual matters, And like Jesus said "You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye, Matt 7:5
Re: Why The 'Daddy' Craze In Our Churches? by Nobody: 12:20pm On May 25, 2011
it's not how long, but how well. You can be a churchgoer for 50years and still not have a clue about spiritual matters, And like Jesus said "You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye, Matt 7:5
[size=16pt]Is you and your false pastors Jesus was referring to above. The plank in your eyes will not allow you to see this in your Bible
Matthew 7:22-23
22Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?’ 23Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’
[/size]
Re: Why The 'Daddy' Craze In Our Churches? by Joagbaje(m): 12:45pm On May 25, 2011
Tee_Jay:

You are right . 50years and yet no respect for Gods children , calling sons of God Zombies! Gods treasure whom Jesus had purchased with his precious blood ,"zombies? What a wasted years

Ephesians 4:29
29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.

Ephesians 4:29
29 Let no foul or polluting language, nor evil word nor unwholesome or worthless talk [ever] come out of your mouth, but only such [speech] as is good and beneficial to the spiritual progress of others, as is fitting to the need and the occasion, that it may be a blessing and give grace (God's favor) to those who hear it.
Re: Why The 'Daddy' Craze In Our Churches? by Nobody: 12:54pm On May 25, 2011
Joagbaje
[size=16pt]You fasle pastors are very good at quoting scriptures you can twist to suit your greed and wickedness. I bet you will not see this verse in your Bible as Jesus has made it impossible for you to twist
Matthew 23:15
Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, (this includes the false pastors we have today) you hypocrites! You travel over land and sea to win a single convert, and when he becomes one, you make him twice as much a son of hell as you are.
[/size]

[size=16pt] Is this not what you false pastors do? You turn your converts into zombies! Very soon they will start calling their pastors sugar Daddy in the lord [/size]
Re: Why The 'Daddy' Craze In Our Churches? by Joagbaje(m): 2:47pm On May 25, 2011
2 Timothy 2:24
. . . And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient,

God will open your eyes someday
Re: Why The 'Daddy' Craze In Our Churches? by Nobody: 3:59pm On May 25, 2011
Joagbaje
[size=16pt]You and your mates are on the outside that's why you cannot understand the teachings of Jesus. [/size]
[size=16pt]Mark 4:12
11 He told them, “The secret of the kingdom of God has been given to you. But to those on the outside everything is said in parables
12 so that, “‘they may be ever seeing but never perceiving, and ever hearing but never understanding; otherwise they might turn and be forgiven!’a”
[/size]
Re: Why The 'Daddy' Craze In Our Churches? by Thirst4Lif: 8:13pm On May 25, 2011
The more personable the church administration becomes with the church congregation the more likely

the congregation is to open their purses and wallets more freely. How can the congregation

deny someone who allows them to refer to him or her as 'Daddy' or 'Mommy?'  That's why

some of these pastors are able to fly around in their own private jets, as was discussed

on another thread. This practice was devised to drain the congregation dry of whatever

finances they have available. It's all a mind-game, my friend.
Re: Why The 'Daddy' Craze In Our Churches? by yommyuk: 5:54am On May 26, 2011
I have always felt uncomfortable on this "daddy & mummy" thingy. undecided

Back in the day, it used to be a cultural thing to do ( an act of respect for the elderly).
But one thing I quickly realised is that most shepherds/Pastors started to use it as a ploy to assert control into church members personal affairs.
Some get so used to being called this undue title that they come to expect to be called such even from church members older than themselves.

To me, what is wrong if one calls his Pastor/Shepherd "Brother" or his wife "Sister"?
It is good to respect church leaders, but exalting them into parents in my opinion is a step to far.
Re: Why The 'Daddy' Craze In Our Churches? by rabzy: 12:31pm On May 26, 2011
okeyistic:

In  Ephesians 6:1 The Bible says"Children,obey your parents in the Lord;for this is right." The pertinent question i wish to ask is, who are the parents in the Lord Paul was talking about?what gave them the status of parenthood? well without beating about the bush,parents in the Lord are simply people God has placed over others in the church or campus fellowship to see to their spiritual and material welfare.If you are thinking the way i am thinking now, you will agree with me that parents in the Lord are Pastors,Bishops,ELders,Deacon and Deaconesses and of course campus fellowship presidents and leaders are parents as it were, as far as the campus community is concerned.
Joagbaje link=topic=673713.msg8387931#msg8387931 date=1306298771:

You don't create a doctrine from a verse. You need to compare scriptures with scriptures. Every true doctrine ought to be confirmed by many scriptures.

1 Corinthians 4:15

The term 'in the lord' implies obey your parents as far as what they are in asking you to do conforms with Christian principles, its talking about the authority parents have over their children but which is subjective to God's law, if you read further down, you will see he is giving instructions as it relates to family life.
15 You may have countless Christian guardians, but you don't have many spiritual fathers. I became your father in the Christian life by telling you the Good News about Christ Jesus.

The role Paul played was as a spiritual father, but he is not to wear it or claim it or bear it as a title, Jesus knew there would be some people who would become spiritual mentors and fathers and to forestall a development where some see themselves as fathers in the church, claiming titles and importance, like the two sons of zebedee, Jesus therefore forbade us, note FORBADE us to call anyone that may have served as a spiritual father, Father. Its not a case of what we would like to do or how we see these people, but the fact that Jesus said we should not do so.

22 But ye know the proof of him, that, as a son with the father, he hath served with me in the gospel.

This was an analogy, a figure of expression, not a case of Paul being called father because of being an apostle in the church

John 19:26
26 When Jesus therefore saw his mother, and the disciple standing by, whom he loved, he saith unto his mother, Woman, behold thy son! 27 Then saith he to the disciple, Behold thy mother! And from that hour that disciple took her unto his own home.

Jesus will contradict himself by calling Mary a mother to john. Let the argument rest. Let us not misapply Jesus teaching. Or else you will have to start  calling  your parents by name. 

Jesus Christ was about to die, Mary was about to lose a son, Jesus fleshly brothers had not yet being converted, so Jesus was not ready to entrust his mother to them, Jesus was here transferring the custodianship and also the responsibilities that he would have done as a son to John 'the apostle whom Jesus loved most'. And that was why John took her to his home. He was to from then on be responsible for Mary and he gladly accepted. The issue is not that whether we can call our parents, uncles etc father, that is a title they bore by giving birth to us or being a guardian to us, the issue is that in the church, no one is to use the title 'father' or be addressed as such because of their spiritual mentorship, we may like to do so but we are forbidden.
And there is good reason for it, because its so easy for us to adore people, to worship them, to subvert our reasonings and let them do the thinking and reason for, for us to allow the doctrine of men to overide the commands of God and its easy for us as men to also become haughty and acquire airs due to praises from me.

Its simple we have been forbidden to do so.
Re: Why The 'Daddy' Craze In Our Churches? by rabzy: 12:34pm On May 26, 2011
The term 'in the lord' implies obey your parents as far as what they are in asking you to do conforms with Christian principles, its talking about the authority parents have over their children but which is subjective to God's law, if you read further down, you will see he is giving instructions as it relates to family life.

The role Paul played was as a spiritual father, but he is not to wear it or claim it or bear it as a title, Jesus knew there would be some people who would become spiritual mentors and fathers and to forestall a development where some see themselves as fathers in the church, claiming titles and importance, like the two sons of zebedee, Jesus therefore forbade us, note FORBADE us to call anyone that may have served as a spiritual father, Father. Its not a case of what we would like to do or how we see these people, but the fact that Jesus said we should not do so.

This was an analogy, a figure of expression, not a case of Paul being called father because of being an apostle in the church
Re: Why The 'Daddy' Craze In Our Churches? by Nobody: 12:49pm On May 26, 2011
God bless you Rabzy, e no easy,
Re: Why The 'Daddy' Craze In Our Churches? by otitokoro1: 12:54pm On May 26, 2011
Alright I need to get this off my chest. Im a christian and a proud one at dat. There are sum things about the church dat I find puzzling but the one that really gets to me is this manner of calling pastors 'Daddy'. Im a member of the Redeemed Church but I have neva understood why our General Overseer should be called 'Daddy' & his wife 'Mummy' or 'Mother-in-Israel  Grin ( I particularly find dis funny). I always dismiss dis as a trend common & peculiar to our churches only. Of recent I got admission into the university & started attending campus fellowships. I was surprised to learn that the leaders, who are all fellow students, are called Papa and Mama by oda students. I wuld luv to know if dis is a biblical doctrine, fad or just a Nigerian thingy. Do u call your pastors daddy?  If so why? Undecided

I am RCCG member, and I want to state clearly here that you will not be crucified for not addressing your Pastor even the General Overseer as "Daddy".  However, you are right to observe that, but in all honesty it is a matter of Choice, God is the only Daddy of us all.
Many of us sometimes will address Pastor Adeboye as daddy just as a sign of respect, probably when trying to allude into some of his teachings and so forth, but it is optional not compulsory. Personally I prefer addressing him as Pastor Adeboye and I don't feel anything is bad when some choose to address him daddy, he is a spiritual father, other pastors are like that too.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Shocking Discovery About NIV Bible. (a Must-read For True Believers) / What Do You Enjoy Most About Sunday Service Or Mass? / Help, I Want To Become An Atheist

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.