Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,157 members, 7,811,322 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:18 AM

Gov Wike Threatens To Shut Down Banks, Other Businesses That Pay VAT To FIRS - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gov Wike Threatens To Shut Down Banks, Other Businesses That Pay VAT To FIRS (2397 Views)

Nigerians To Pay VAT For Digital Services – Finance Minister / Governor Wike Threatens To Beat Up Babangida Aliyu / Nigerian Government May Increase VAT To Fund New Minimum Wage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gov Wike Threatens To Shut Down Banks, Other Businesses That Pay VAT To FIRS by neztar: 10:58am On Sep 08, 2021
The governor of Rivers State has threatened that the state government will shut down the premises of any bank or
business organisation in the state that continues to pay Value Added Tax (TAX) to the federal government through the Federal Inland Revenue Service. (FIRS).

The governor stated this in Port Harcourt on Wednesday during an interactive session with corporate organizations in the state.

He lamented that the federal government has purposely turned the states into beggars, by making them congregate regularly in Abuja to beg for funds, instead of utilizing their potentials to develop their respective states.

https://www.ripplesnigeria.com/just-in-gov-wike-threatens-to-shut-down-banks-other-businesses-that-pay-vat-to-firs/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gov Wike Threatens To Shut Down Banks, Other Businesses That Pay VAT To FIRS by blamingthedevil: 11:04am On Sep 08, 2021
If you shut it down...no VAT payment
Re: Gov Wike Threatens To Shut Down Banks, Other Businesses That Pay VAT To FIRS by Jerryherd: 11:05am On Sep 08, 2021
cool

Wike isn't here to play

1 Like

Re: Gov Wike Threatens To Shut Down Banks, Other Businesses That Pay VAT To FIRS by Navalsadiq(m): 11:08am On Sep 08, 2021
Ezenyesom wike is that not an igbo name

1 Like

Re: Gov Wike Threatens To Shut Down Banks, Other Businesses That Pay VAT To FIRS by dallasi: 11:17am On Sep 08, 2021
The man is just a scammer...taking law into your hand. Quack lawyers
let me ask him.
. Those federal establishment in the state who collect their VAT?
Re: Gov Wike Threatens To Shut Down Banks, Other Businesses That Pay VAT To FIRS by bobowaja(m): 11:51am On Sep 08, 2021
dallasi:
The man is just a scammer...taking law into your hand. Quack lawyers
let me ask him.
. Those federal establishment in the state who collect their VAT?
You cry too much.

Wike will collect vat cos he is backed by law to do that. Firs should fkoff instead of using threats on companies. Currently they are using threats with no legal backings.

States asked FG to collect vat for them. Now some states are saying we are ready to do that ourselves. Normal thing is to backdown and continue to help the helpless states that can't stand on their own. But because Rivers and Lagos are fat cows, the leech firs and FG won't let go, especially when the illegal money is sweet.

7 Likes

Re: Gov Wike Threatens To Shut Down Banks, Other Businesses That Pay VAT To FIRS by dallasi: 12:16pm On Sep 08, 2021
bobowaja:

You cry too much.

Wike will collect vat cos he is backed by law to do that. Firs should fkoff instead of using threats on companies. Currently they are using threats with no legal backings.

States asked FG to collect vat for them. Now some states are saying we are ready to do that ourselves. Normal thing is to backdown and continue to help the helpless states that can't stand on their own. But because Rivers and Lagos are fat cows, the leech firs and FG won't let go, especially when the illegal money is sweet.

Problem with some of you that "SABI" book too much is that you speak from both side of your mouth... FG is responsible for police in your state ,federal school, airport & host of others institutions, yet you want to collect from VAT and give her peanuts.. Ask Wike how many LG in River enjoy autonomy as enshrine in the constitution?
Let the constitution be amended ..
Re: Gov Wike Threatens To Shut Down Banks, Other Businesses That Pay VAT To FIRS by Confirmedzombie: 12:21pm On Sep 08, 2021
Will Wike go and shut them himself without security Agencies.

Wike is just making noise. If the FG order police and soldiers to stay away how will wike shut it.

Wike should calm down and stop all this notice me.

Nonsense
Re: Gov Wike Threatens To Shut Down Banks, Other Businesses That Pay VAT To FIRS by bobowaja(m): 12:50pm On Sep 08, 2021
dallasi:

Problem with some of you that "SABI" book too much is that you speak from both side of your mouth... FG is responsible for police in your state ,federal school, airport & host of others institutions, yet you want to collect from VAT and give her peanuts.. Ask Wike how many LG in River enjoy autonomy as enshrine in the constitution?
Let the constitution be amended ..

You look reasonable so I will engage you.

You still don't get do you? It is not the function of fg in the first place to collect consumption tax. The states allow her to do that cos they said they don't have the apparatus. But now that some have the efficiency to do so, nothing should stop the firs and FG from allowing them to go ahead.

And for the police. I am sure you know the states are agitating for state policing which the FG is proving stubbornness against. Eventhough the fg is aware it will be the best bet in ending terrorism and bandistism that has plagued the country. The people know their own lands better than anybody.

The fg currently have so many powers and responsibilities that it can't manage. Shedding it off will be best for everyone. And for the issue of vat, it is dead on arrival for fg to battle it. If they like they should take it till supreme court, they will still lose out cos they are battling constitution here, which they all swore to protect.

And for the records, vat is not the only place fg generates revenues from. Vat is the illegal part of it which some states are ready to battle away from them. The money is sweet and the fg is not ready to let go.

The biggest losers here is not the FG, she has other means of generating revenues for its functioning, it is those lazy states that practice all roads lead to Abuja at the end of the month without putting on their thinking caps to make something tangible for their states.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gov Wike Threatens To Shut Down Banks, Other Businesses That Pay VAT To FIRS by bobowaja(m): 12:52pm On Sep 08, 2021
Confirmedzombie:

Wike is just making noise. If the FG order police and soldiers to stay away how will wike shut it.

Nonsense
ConfirmedZombie. There is something called state taskforce. And it is backed by law. Read before you talk.

Wike will seal if they prove stubborn and there is nothing anybody can do cos right now, he is backed by both federal and state laws and recently, court order.

2 Likes

Re: Gov Wike Threatens To Shut Down Banks, Other Businesses That Pay VAT To FIRS by dallasi: 1:18pm On Sep 08, 2021
bobowaja:

You still don't get do you? It is not the function of fg in the first place to collect consumption tax. The states allow her to do that cos they said they don't have the apparatus. But now that some have the efficiency to do so, nothing should stop the firs and FG from allowing them to go ahead.

And for the police. I am sure you know the states are agitating for state policing which the FG is proving stubbornness against. Eventhough the fg is aware it will be the best bet in ending terrorism and bandistism that has plagued the country. The people know their own lands better than anybody.

The fg currently have so many powers and responsibilities that it can't manage. Shedding it off will be best for everyone. And for the issue of vat, it is dead on arrival for fg to battle it. If they like they should take it till supreme court, they will still lose out cos they are battling constitution here, which they all swore to protect.

And for the records, vat is not the only place fg generates revenues from. Vat is the illegal part of it which some states are ready to battle away from them. The money is sweet and the fg is not ready to let go.

The biggest losers here is not the FG, she has other means of generating revenues for its functioning, it is those lazy states that practice all roads lead to Abuja at the end of the month without putting on their thinking caps to make something tangible for their states.

My grudges still did state allow LG to function independently ? Wike single handedly pick virtually all the LG chairmen in his state and openly denied autonomous to judiciary. My take who is fooling who?
Re: Gov Wike Threatens To Shut Down Banks, Other Businesses That Pay VAT To FIRS by sunnedee2: 1:26pm On Sep 08, 2021
bobowaja:

I wish I can give you 100 likes.

4 Likes

Re: Gov Wike Threatens To Shut Down Banks, Other Businesses That Pay VAT To FIRS by OfoIgbo: 1:40pm On Sep 08, 2021
blamingthedevil:
If you shut it down...no VAT payment

If the companies pay Vat to FIRS....no VAT also
Re: Gov Wike Threatens To Shut Down Banks, Other Businesses That Pay VAT To FIRS by bobowaja(m): 1:42pm On Sep 08, 2021
dallasi:

My grudges still did state allow LG to function independently ? Wike single handedly pick virtually all the LG chairmen in his state and openly denied autonomous to judiciary. My take who is fooling who?
Little by little we will get there. It may take time. I am sure you saw yesterday news where ondo state gov signed legislative and judicial autonomy into law. The gradual restructuring has stated.

5 Likes

Re: Gov Wike Threatens To Shut Down Banks, Other Businesses That Pay VAT To FIRS by bobowaja(m): 1:45pm On Sep 08, 2021
sunnedee2:

I wish I can give you 100 likes.
I hail you sir
Re: Gov Wike Threatens To Shut Down Banks, Other Businesses That Pay VAT To FIRS by Nobody: 1:54pm On Sep 08, 2021
Navalsadiq:

What has that to do with the thread?

1 Like

Re: Gov Wike Threatens To Shut Down Banks, Other Businesses That Pay VAT To FIRS by dallasi: 2:33pm On Sep 08, 2021
bobowaja:

Little by little we will get there. It may take time. I am sure you saw yesterday news where ondo state gov signed legislative and judicial autonomy into law. The gradual restructuring has stated.

Anything that will bring peace & posterity to this great nation will be encourage...sincerely the politician are hell bent in maneuvering the populace .No matter how good is the law they(politicians) will find the loophole to capitalize, looking are the conflicting judgment emanating from courts room across the nation. Just imagine a state police in hand of Wike, El Rufai,Ganduje,Ortom,Uzodima,etc what will happen to the like of Ameachi,Kwankwaso,Akume & Okoroacha respectively..
Remember we are practicing state police when same politician start agitating for Federal ..... More so the FEDERAL exist to protect numerous interest of minorities in the federation like ours..Think of state like kogi ,Benue ,Niger delta regions & host of communities with persistent skirmishes
Re: Gov Wike Threatens To Shut Down Banks, Other Businesses That Pay VAT To FIRS by Valkrie: 2:45pm On Sep 08, 2021
Confirmedzombie:

Nonsense

You forgot that thugs are way more effective and brutal in shutting down defaulting premises way more than the army and police you are talking about.... grin

2 Likes

Re: Gov Wike Threatens To Shut Down Banks, Other Businesses That Pay VAT To FIRS by bobowaja(m): 3:35pm On Sep 08, 2021
dallasi:

Anything that will bring peace & posterity to this great nation will be encourage...sincerely the politician are hell bent in maneuvering the populace .No matter how good is the law they(politicians) will find the loophole to capitalize, looking are the conflicting judgment emanating from courts room across the nation. Just imagine a state police in hand of Wike, El Rufai,Ganduje,Ortom,Uzodima,etc what will happen to the like of Ameachi,Kwankwaso,Akume & Okoroacha respectively..
Remember we are practicing state police when same politician start agitating for Federal ..... More so the FEDERAL exist to protect numerous interest of minorities in the federation like ours..Think of state like kogi ,Benue ,Niger delta regions & host of communities with persistent skirmishes
When we have state police, it won't be solely in the hands of govs. I understand your fears but it is not necessary for now.

1 Like

Re: Gov Wike Threatens To Shut Down Banks, Other Businesses That Pay VAT To FIRS by Finnese001: 3:45pm On Sep 08, 2021
Man like wike, I respect your courage oga boss

B
Re: Gov Wike Threatens To Shut Down Banks, Other Businesses That Pay VAT To FIRS by dallasi: 4:02pm On Sep 08, 2021
bobowaja:

When we have state police, it won't be solely in the hands of govs. I understand your fears but it is not necessary for now.
You think so ..look at what happen in NNDC, same people that were crying of pollutions are busy fleecing hapless communities ,what change ?
Re: Gov Wike Threatens To Shut Down Banks, Other Businesses That Pay VAT To FIRS by bobowaja(m): 4:03pm On Sep 08, 2021
dallasi:

You think so ..look at what happen in NNDC, same people that were crying of pollutions are busy fleecing hapless communities ,what change ?
It is better we know state is in charge of our finances. We know who to hold. Not that the money from Rivers will go to Kano. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Gov Wike Threatens To Shut Down Banks, Other Businesses That Pay VAT To FIRS by bobowaja(m): 4:04pm On Sep 08, 2021
By the way, FIRS has gone to national assembly to add vat to exclusive list. They are running scared cheesy

1 Like

Re: Gov Wike Threatens To Shut Down Banks, Other Businesses That Pay VAT To FIRS by dallasi: 4:58pm On Sep 08, 2021
bobowaja:

It is better we know state is in charge of our finances. We know who to hold. Not that the money from Rivers will go to Kano. Thanks

That is the problem with some of you from the south, "Northernphobia" you forget that was a time in this country majority of revenue comes from the NORTH.

Re: Gov Wike Threatens To Shut Down Banks, Other Businesses That Pay VAT To FIRS by Tranquill: 5:03pm On Sep 08, 2021
Navalsadiq:

What has your senseless comment got to do with the news?

His name is Nyesom Wike, he is an Ikwerre man and doesn't identify as Igbo.
When you people begin to respect and accept others identity and existence, and that you can not force anyone to become Igbo, that is when you'll begin to have peace.
Re: Gov Wike Threatens To Shut Down Banks, Other Businesses That Pay VAT To FIRS by Navalsadiq(m): 5:04pm On Sep 08, 2021
Tranquill:

What has your senseless comment got to do with the news?

His name is Nyesom Wike, he is an Ikwerre man and doesn't identify as Igbo.
When you people begin to respect and accept others identity and existence, and that you can not force anyone to become Igbo, that is when you'll begin to have peace.
Oga that's an igbo name simple

1 Like

Re: Gov Wike Threatens To Shut Down Banks, Other Businesses That Pay VAT To FIRS by Tranquill: 5:14pm On Sep 08, 2021
Navalsadiq:
Oga that's an igbo name simple

Go and force him to become Igbo na ....nonesense!!
Most of you suffer from willful ignorance and lack of exposure.
Re: Gov Wike Threatens To Shut Down Banks, Other Businesses That Pay VAT To FIRS by bobowaja(m): 5:25pm On Sep 08, 2021
dallasi:

That is the problem with some of you from the south, "Northernphobia" you forget that was a time in this country majority of revenue comes from the NORTH.
There was no time bulk revenue comes from north. Most revenues comes from West.

And that document u re parading is doctored. Colonial people don't use those letterings and paper you are showing as screenshot.

Stop the deceit. No one deserve to be fleeced in the name of one Nigeria. North should sit up
Re: Gov Wike Threatens To Shut Down Banks, Other Businesses That Pay VAT To FIRS by Navalsadiq(m): 5:41pm On Sep 08, 2021
Tranquill:

Go and force him to become Igbo na ....nonesense!!
Most of you suffer from willful ignorance and lack of exposure.
the same way you guys suffer from the ignorance that every body who comes from the north is hausa and hausa fulani.

Wike,and the like of amaechi are igbos
Re: Gov Wike Threatens To Shut Down Banks, Other Businesses That Pay VAT To FIRS by DEROX: 5:44pm On Sep 08, 2021
Navalsadiq:
IKWERRE by tribe sir mr atachee by force why no SE gov get mind like am if thats what you are tripping at, he even bldly said it at a time that he is ikwerre

1 Like

Re: Gov Wike Threatens To Shut Down Banks, Other Businesses That Pay VAT To FIRS by dallasi: 5:45pm On Sep 08, 2021
bobowaja:

There was no time bulk revenue comes from north. Most revenues comes from West.

And that document u re parading is doctored. Colonial people don't use those letterings and paper you are showing as screenshot.

Stop the deceit. No one deserve to be fleeced in the name of one Nigeria. North should sit up

Narrative has change as usual...document sources says from world bank as at 2001 still yet you dispute it, that is the narrative. Which revenue were sustain Nigeria before crude oil was discovered?.

Do you remember the NORTH threat of 'ARABA"?
"Araba"(separation) was a word first used by rioters at a Bauchi demonstration signaling the Northern peoples' desire to break from the federal republic of Nigeria. The catalyst for its first use was the cold-blooded murder of some prominent Northern elites, including the Premier of the North, Sir Ahmadu Bello, the Sardauna of Sokoto, by predominantly Igbo officers, on January 15, 1966

Araba became a rallying cry for the North's disaffection with the state of affairs after Iron's promulgation of the obnoxious "decree No 34", making Nigeria a unitary state. In some quarters, it became resonant and synonymous with the rampant killing of Igbos in the North. These killings (similar things were happening to Northerners in the East) necessitated the mass movement of Igbos to the East and Northerners to the Northern territories.

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Would A War Between The Alliance Of Russia & China Vs USA & NATO Look Likek / I Didn't Hand Over A Collapsed Nation To Buhari - Dr. Goodluck Jonathan- / Tinubu's Empty Streets Of Kano, Atiku's Huge Support Signpost Of APC Extinction

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.