Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,145 members, 7,815,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:44 AM

Familiar Enemy (A Short Christian Story By Glorie Adepoju) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Familiar Enemy (A Short Christian Story By Glorie Adepoju) (1082 Views)

SAPPHIRE By Mercy Oluwafunmito Adebisi (A Christian Story You Need To Read.) / Unknown Enemy - A Romance Story / The Enemy Within - A Tale Of Love, Lust And Betrayal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Familiar Enemy (A Short Christian Story By Glorie Adepoju) by PeculiarInspiro(f): 10:23am On Sep 09, 2021
FAMILIAR ENEMY by Glorie Adepoju

All rights reserved.

Avoid Plagiarism.

Do enjoy this story and be blessed.

-----
EPISODE 1

“Face down! Everybody!”

“Raise your head and I blow it off!!!” He cocked the gun as if to emphasize his point, whimpering sounds of everyone followed, mine inclusive. I had never heard a gun cock at such close range. These robbers meant business and the mere thought of that made my heart pound in fear.

I buried my head into my already trembling palms, as we all lay on our tummies. The cold tiled floor of the spacious living room offered no comfort as my body pressed against it.

“Hey stand up!” One of them barked, his deep, raspy voice echoed loudly.

“Pls don’t kill me pls!!!!!!” Mayowa screamed repeatedly in between tears.

“Quiet!” came the loud command that sent a chill down my spine.

I trembled violently on the floor as Mayowa whimpered loudly.

“We only came here to take what we need. We don’t intend to leave here without it! Hey boy, you are coming with us!”

“No pls no!!, Not him!!” I screamed impulsively.

I realized that I didn’t just scream in my head like I thought, but I had screamed out loud and in fact raised my head and was facing one of the masked robbers. There was silence for a split second, my sudden outburst must have shocked the robbers, I was equally shocked at such boldness. It was short lived as I felt fear creeping in again.

“Pls sir, don’t do this to me, my only son, I beg you. Take me and spare him pls.” Aunty BB screamed, in tears

In a swift motion the masked robber holding Mayowa pointed the gun on Mayowa’s head. The dark metal glistened. My heart stopped and then started pounding so hard.

Silence.

The Story Continues...
Re: Familiar Enemy (A Short Christian Story By Glorie Adepoju) by PeculiarInspiro(f): 10:25am On Sep 09, 2021
“One more word from anyone again, and I would waste this boy here right now! Understand?!!!” He barked.

I nodded, my eyes on Mayowa. His own eyes were tightly shut, as he whimpered loudly and was visibly shaking. A sight that broke my heart.

“Hey boy, you want to die?”

Mayowa shook his head vigorously

“Then shut up!”

The gun was still pointed to the side of his head, and I watched helplessly as they led him out, I couldn’t seem to take my eyes off him.

“Jesus pls, Father, do something, don’t let them take him away!!, He is a young boy that loves you, don’t let them!”

I screamed in my head, as I watched them go.

I caught glimpses of the deadly weapons the men carried. The possibilities of what he would go through in the custody of such heartless men, filled my heart with intense fear and anxiety, so much it was paralyzing.

Drowning in the overwhelming emotions, I slipped into unconsciousness.

…to be continued…

pEn&pApEr
GLORIEADEPOJU

—-
How do you feel about this new story Series? Express yourself in the comment section of the blog.

Remember to subscribe to the site so you will be notified when the blog is updated.

The next episode will be dropped very soon. Stay Blessed.

Shall we find out what events would begin to unfold after this?

Watch out for FAMILIAR ENEMY 2

Source: https://peculiar-inspiro.com/2021/09/04/familiar-enemy-episode-1/
--------------
------------

Please let me know what you think about the story.

Cc: Lalasticlala, lolaspen, TemidayoRiches, Peculiar2020, ScientistGood01, Clemency24, TripleOne, Honymix, Geniusepoxy, glo03, Aymee, Adekemi01, fumsin, TheEdenPlace20, Eunice112, Faithfulwrites2, Ruthina1, Beccawumi, Debbyboboye, trophygracie, Fayodamilola, omeizadeborah, ShalomA, Oluwamarytalabi, nueltosin1, treasuretaiwo, Botapreneur, ASHSALT, Olajhidey22

Story Source: www.peculiar-inspiro.com
Re: Familiar Enemy (A Short Christian Story By Glorie Adepoju) by PeculiarInspiro(f): 8:02am On Sep 10, 2021
FAMILIAR ENEMY by Glorie Adepoju

All rights reserved.

Avoid Plagiarism.

Do enjoy this story and be blessed.

-----
Episode 2

I splashed some cold water on my face several times, my head bent into the wash hand basin in the bathroom. I raised my head, looking at my reflection in the mirror positioned right above the wash hand basin. My puffy eyes stared back at me.

I couldn’t even remember getting one night of good sleep for days. Today made it exactly one week and a day since Mayowa got kidnapped.

That night, our gate man had been able to clearly see the kind of car the robbers drove; he was able to describe it to the police. I had thought it would be easy for the police to find Mayowa with that information but it appeared I was very wrong.

Every chance I got, I prayed tirelessly. Initially, my faith was so strong, I was certain good news would be our portion. However, each time the police visited, it was the same news: no sign of Mayowa, the robbers or their car.

I lazily walked back into the room. It was still quite early in the morning. The very time I would usually go to Mayowa’s room, to wake him up and get him ready for school. The adjoining door that connected my room to his, made that easy for me.

“Is it morning already Aunty EKiki?” He would usually ask drowsily, his handsome little face breaking into a cute smile. He referred to me as Ekiki instead of Eki, because he said Eki was too short to be the name of a person.

“Yes, big man, what do we do first thing in the morning?” I would ask as usual.

“Lay my bed and talk to Jesus” he would reply with a yawn.

“Are you excited to talk to Jesus this morning?”

“Yup”

“What did I teach you about saying yup”

“Oh, bad English, sorry, yes Aunty EKiki”

“Good boy, you are becoming a man” I would say with a smile and then tickle him, and amidst his uncontrollable laughter, he would get up. And the morning would begin.

My heart clenched as I remembered I have been an orphan for as long as I can remember. I never knew my parents; I don’t even know if they ever lived as a couple. If I was the result of a fling or a blooming relationship. The only thing I knew was that I lived with my grandmother in the village, before I even began to walk, maybe she’s not my grandmother, I don’t know.

One day, a certain lady came from the city to the village. She told my grandmother that she wanted to take me to the city and make my life better. I was about 6 years old then. My grandmother agreed without even a second thought, she never really liked me. My grandmother was already well advanced in age, and I was a handful. Even as a child, I knew at that moment that I was being discarded.

The lady left the village with about a score of us. She took us to the city as promised, but not to make our lives better.

Sleeping in a room, sandwiched alongside other girls, some of them much older than I was. Several of them, just a year or two older than me.

An older woman called Mama Swagger, she had a quick and very hot temper, we were staying in her house. Each time the familiar lady came visiting, that meant someone amongst us was going with her.

One after the other, the girls were taken away, to where I didn’t know, but they never came back. Until I was the last one left.

Seeing the lady again that evening visiting Mama Swagger’s place, I just believed it was finally my turn. …

to be continued…

pEn&pApEr
GLORIEADEPOJU

—-
Remember to subscribe to the site so you will be notified when the blog is updated.

Watch out for FAMILIAR ENEMY 3

Source: https://peculiar-inspiro.com/2021/09/09/familiar-enemy-episode-2/

--------------
------------

Remember to drop your comments.

Cc: Lalasticlala, lolaspen, TemidayoRiches, Peculiar2020, ScientistGood01, Clemency24, TripleOne, Honymix, Geniusepoxy, glo03, Aymee, Adekemi01, fumsin, TheEdenPlace20, Eunice112, Faithfulwrites2, Ruthina1, Beccawumi, Debbyboboye, trophygracie, Fayodamilola, omeizadeborah, ShalomA, Oluwamarytalabi, nueltosin1, treasuretaiwo, Botapreneur, ASHSALT, Olajhidey22

Re: Familiar Enemy (A Short Christian Story By Glorie Adepoju) by PeculiarInspiro(f): 12:05pm On Sep 14, 2021
Episode 3

“Of what use is this one now?” Mama Swagger said to the lady.

“What else? the same thing the others are used for.”

“She’s a child!!!, what were you thinking picking someone this young?! Don’t tell me  you didn’t have plans when you picked and kept her here all along eating my free food!” Mama Swagger said her anger rising.

“I…don’t…know, I jus…t…tho…ught she’d be useful, somehow. It doesn’t matter that she’s a child na, how about those who prefer children?” The lady said clearly uncomfortable with Mama Swagger’s rising temper.

I just stood there, watching as they discussed me like I was invisible, good thing I was too young to understand.

“Prefer children? Yes, I know, but the kind of trouble we would get into, I’m not ready for that kind of trouble!!!” Mama Swagger said, casting occasional angry glances at me. I became afraid, I had always tried not to get on her bad side.

“What do we do? We need to dispose of this one quick, I’m losing my patience!” Mama Swagger said again, as she lighted her cigarette.

“Think! think of something fast!!!, This thing is not staying another night here, I hate the sight of a profitless creature eating free food!!” Mama Swagger said in a loud voice

Mama Swagger smokes when she’s angry, irritated. Once she starts, she just wouldn’t stop for a long time. I never liked the choking feeling of being near her when she does it, another reason I tried incredibly hard not to get on her bad side. I searched my young mind for an excuse to leave the room.

After a minute of drumming her fingers on the center table in the sitting room, the lady finally spoke.

“I have an idea, there’s this rich family, they need a house help urgently. That should work.”

“Whatever, just get her out of here!”
The choking feeling was beginning to overwhelm me.

“I wan piss” I said quickly, suppressing my cough. The last time I coughed when she was smoking, I got a hot slap from her.

“Don’t you know your way to the toilet, or what’s the useless information for?”

“This is not a daycare!!!!, the next time you dare bring any young thing here again I’d not take it lightly!” I heard Mama Swagger say as I rushed out.

I ended up in a rich household as a maid, and then my journey as a house help began. As the years passed, I moved from house to house as a house maid. Of course, I had lost all connection with the lady. At age 12, I ended up in a home of an elderly man, as his maid, and my life took a drastic turn.

Pa Benjamin had lost his wife long ago and his children were all grown up. He led me to Christ, my eyes were opened to a new kind of life completely different from the one I had known. Life slowly began to make sense.

Pa Benjamin being a retired teacher, took responsibility for my education, and home schooled me. My relationship with Jesus changed everything incredibly. I found hope, joy, love and a reason to live.

Three years later, Pa Benjamin passed away. I cried. The only person and place I could call home, gone.

…to be continued…

pEn&pApEr
GLORIEADEPOJU

——-

Please kindly drop your comments in the comments section of the blog and remember to subscribe to the blog so you will be notified when the blog is updated.

Thank you.

—-

Source: https://peculiar-inspiro.com/2021/09/09/familiar-enemy-episode-3/

--------------
------------

Re: Familiar Enemy (A Short Christian Story By Glorie Adepoju) by PeculiarInspiro(f): 12:09pm On Sep 14, 2021
Episode 4

Pa Benjamin had about seven children, four of which were scattered across the globe, whilst three are based in Nigeria. During all the times I stayed with Pa Benjamin, only his last child visited and called often. Most people assumed Pa Benjamin had only this one child, Mabel. When the funeral rites were over, Madam Mabel called to see me.

“Eki, my Father loved you like his own. You did a great job of taking care of him. You served him faithfully. I want so badly to take you along to live with me and my family. Unfortunately, I can’t, our home is crowded as it now. My husband’s younger twin sisters live with us, there is nowhere else vacant in that house, it just a small space we are managing.” She sighed in frustration, she was quiet and lost in thought, sighing at intervals.

I felt anxious. I had nowhere to go, knew nowhere else. Yes, I had trusted my life into God’s hands, but I couldn’t help but wonder in fear if I would end up homeless and back on the streets.

“Dad made me promise him something as he was dying. He made me promise that you would be well taken care of. I don’t even have the financial capability to achieve that, but then I already gave him my word on his death bed. Whatever it takes I have to fulfil that promise.” She said softly, more to herself than to me, rubbing her temple softly, with her eyes closed. She went quiet, the silence stretched. I almost thought she had fallen asleep, then she spoke again, eyes still closed.

“Go to bed, I’ll let you know my decision.”

“Okay ma, thank you ma.” I said
with a slight bow and went into my room, where I knelt and prayed for an intervention like my life depended on it.

The next morning, she had clearly decided, because we were on our way out of the state. I had no idea what her decision was, or where she was taking me. We arrived at our destination in the evening.

“Trust in the Lord with all thine heart and lean not on your own understanding, in all thy ways acknowledge Him and He would direct thy path.” I repeatedly said this scripture under my breath, it was the word I received from God as I poured out my heart to the Lord in prayer last night. Repeating it over was my habit of letting the word sink into my being.

We entered an amazingly impressive looking house with posh interior decoration. The woman I assumed to be the Madam of the house, sat in the living room, a pedicurist was attending to her, completely focused on her job. It was home service obviously. The moment I stepped into the living room, I felt strange

“WELCOME TO YOUR PLACE OF ASSIGNMENT.” came the soft voice. I looked behind me quickly, wondering who had spoken to me. I was shocked to see that no one had said anything, and it occurred to me that the voice must have been what Pa Benjamin usually called the inner voice. The Holy spirit.

“Place of assignment? God wants me to do something here? Me?” I asked in my head, my curiosity heightened and, in my mind, questions arose like several sea waves, loud and drowning the voices and conversations around me. Madam Mabel tapped me; the physical touch seemed to drag me back to reality.

“Ma?” I looked at her in confusion, she must have spoken to me, and I had obviously not been paying attention

“I asked about your age.”

“I’m fifteen years old ma” I said quickly, in the composed manner that Pa Benjamin had taught me.

The woman glanced at me briefly;
“She speaks good English.” She said in a tone suggested that she was impressed. Madam Mabel had a satisfied smile.

“Mabel, there’s already the maid who cleans and takes care of the house, another maid who washes clothes, we have a chef too. What exactly would I be needing another for?” She said with a shrug. Madam Mabel adjusted on her seat uncomfortably

“I don’t need another…but then…” she seemed deep in thought for some seconds, Madam Mabel almost looked as if she was holding her breath. I waited eagerly as well.

…to be continued…

pEn&pApEr
GLORIEADEPOJU
----

Watch out for FAMILIAR ENEMY 5

Source: https://peculiar-inspiro.com/2021/09/12/familiar-enemy-episode-4/

--------------
------------

Re: Familiar Enemy (A Short Christian Story By Glorie Adepoju) by marvellously(m): 9:28am On Sep 16, 2021
Nice one pls continue
Re: Familiar Enemy (A Short Christian Story By Glorie Adepoju) by PeculiarInspiro(f): 11:48am On Dec 06, 2021
-----
Episode 5

“Last month I had a girl whose job was to attend to me personally, here in this home. She agreed to the job because she was awaiting admission. I let her go the moment she got admission into the University. I haven’t thought about a replacement since then.” For the first time since I stepped in, she took a good look at me.

There was something about the way she regarded me, the silent way she was studying me.

“I’ll take her.” she said, those simple words did so much to ease the tension in the atmosphere.

They finally reached a conclusion about how much I’ll be paid monthly. It doubled what Pa Benjamin paid. I was stunned, even though my features were too schooled to give any emotion away.

“You will not regret your decision, I promise you.” Madam Mabel said as she stood up

“I’ll take your word for it, my regards to your family. I would love to see you off, but I can’t because of this.” she said, gesturing towards her feet under the ministrations of the pedicurist, who was totally concentrated on her business

“No problem, I totally understand.”

Madam Mabel, signaled and I followed her outside.

“BB and I were mates in the University, I can’t say I know her so well. What I do know is that she treats her staff well, in that regard, you are in good hands.” Madam Mabel said to me once we got outside.

She dipped her hand into her bag and she fished out a thousand naira note, she pressed it into my palms.

“Manage this in case of any emergency before you get paid.”
Surprised, I felt greatly touched; “Ah, thank you so much ma..” I knelt in appreciation

“You are welcome. I’ve told you to stop kneeling for me.” she said pulling me up.

“I have a long way to go, I have to be on my way. Remain the good girl that you are Eki. Now, go inside, don’t keep her waiting for too long.” she added.

“Ok ma, thank you so much ma.” I spoke. She adjusted her bag properly and turned to leave.

Although Madam Mabel and I were never so close, as she was leaving, I knew I would miss her. The moment she walked out the gate, I went back inside.

“You look tired; I guess you had quite a long journey. You will rest today, come downstairs for dinner by 7, not earlier not later. You understand?”

“Yes Madam.”

“Which Madam?” she asked sneering

“You address me as Aunty BB. Ok?”

“Yes ma… Aunty BB.”

“Good, Peter! Peter!!”

“Yes Aunty!” came a voice from somewhere within the house.

A man joined us in the living room,

“This is Peter, the housekeeper.” she said gesturing towards him

“Peter, starting from today, Eki works for me. Take her to one of the rooms upstairs.”

“Up…stairs ma?”

“Yes! Do you have a problem with that?!” she said sharply

“No ma, sorry ma”

I clutched my bag, and followed Peter upstairs. A new chapter of my life opened.

…to be continued…

pEn&pApEr
GLORIEADEPOJU
----

Watch out for FAMILIAR ENEMY 6

Source: https://peculiar-inspiro.com/2021/09/14/familiar-enemy-episode-5/
--------------
------------

Re: Familiar Enemy (A Short Christian Story By Glorie Adepoju) by PeculiarInspiro(f): 11:51am On Dec 06, 2021
-----
Episode 6

Aunty BB is a business woman to the core, she is a major distributor of foreign designer clothes, shoes and jewelries. Her husband, he is usually addressed as Uncle Ade by the housekeepers.

Aunty BB put me in charge of attending to anything that concerns her welfare in the house. I had no business with Uncle Ade, all I had to do was attend to Aunty BB.

I didn’t think I would be doing much. I couldn’t be more wrong. The workload was more tasking than I imagined. Every weekend, I was expected to select all her clothes for the week.

Take the clothes to the dry cleaners ahead of time. I was to arrange the clothes in her closets according to each day of the week. The same for her under garments and lingerie. Aunty BB was the life of party, I was expected to be abreast of social events she would be attending, finding out the appropriate clothes for each occasion, making sure they were ready before hand.

I had to keep record to ensure that she never repeats an attire for any social event, ever, she made it emphatically clear that it would be a grave mistake on my part if it ever happened.

The jewelries, shoes, wigs, bags, I oversaw selecting and arranging them ahead of the next day. It would have been easier to handle these tasks if Aunty BB wasn’t so difficult to please.

Sometimes after I had returned from the dry cleaners with the clothes, then she would insist that all she would have on her for each day of the week must be from a particular brand.

I must ensure that her jewelries, shoes, bag, accessories even perfume were from a particular brand, meaning I had to choose new sets of clothes all over again.

The work was not only tasking but it also exposed me to areas of herself and Uncle Ade’s life that I wished I didn’t know. Aunty BB was a heavy drinker, lived an extravagant lifestyle.

Uncle Ade was a chronic womanizer. Sometimes he travelled so much I would hardly see him for months, at other times, he would be around, quite engrossed in his work.

After one full year of working with them, the first child Omomayowa was born. I had made up my mind to stop working for Aunty BB, until that day she called me into her room.

“You haven’t even taken a second look at him. You haven’t carried him in your arms, have you?” Aunty BB asked with baby Mayowa in her arms, there was that accusing undertone in her voice, she handed him over to me.

Reluctantly I took him into my arms, and looked down at his innocent and happy face. I was mesmerized as I took a good look at him. I had deliberately avoided having anything to do with the new baby.

The circumstances that surrounded Mayowa’s birth and the part I played in it still haunted me, I had even made up my mind to get away from it all, until I carried him in my arms.

“Your job description just changed. Nanny, I think that’s what it’s called, that’s your job now. Full time, you would have whatever you need, just make sure you dedicate every waking hour to nurturing this golden boy. Do we have a deal?” She asked emphatically.

“Is this some sort of compensation?” I thought.

...to be continued...

pEn&pApEr
GLORIEADEPOJU
----
Watch out for FAMILIAR ENEMY 7

Source: https://peculiar-inspiro.com/2021/09/14/familiar-enemy-episode-6/
--------------
------------

Re: Familiar Enemy (A Short Christian Story By Glorie Adepoju) by PeculiarInspiro(f): 11:54am On Dec 06, 2021
-----
Episode 7

It was at the tip of my tongue to refuse the offer, and go on with my plan to stop working for this family, but Mayowa cooed and my attention returned to him. I smiled at him and he returned it with a full smile, his gum on display. My heart melted, and I knew I couldn’t resist her offer, not in a million years.

“Well?”

“Yes ma, we have a deal” I said without taking my eyes off his adorable face.

A shrill noise from downstairs forced my mind back to the present.

Panic seized me as I raced out of the room. Rushing down the stairs, I heard voices in the living room. I rushed there.

Aunty BB was the one who obviously made that sound, because she made it again sending chills down my spine. She was on the ground, crying profusely, slapping the tiles loudly with her palms.

Uncle Ade had his head bent.

“Madam pls take it easy.” the officer said. I did not notice his presence until then.

“Officer I’m finished, you don’t understand, I am totally finished.” she said, screaming loudly.

“What exactly is going on pls!” I said at last, Uncle Ade chose that moment to stand abruptly. He snatched the keys from where they were hung and walked out. I turned my attention to the officer.

“Miss Eki, I have some bad news. We were finally able to locate the car that was described by the gateman to be the car of the robbers. Unfortunately, the car is a write off, it appears there had been a ghastly accident that night. Nobody could have survived the accident, the bodies found were dismembered beyond recognition.”

I opened my mouth to speak, but instead my jaw hung open, with my lips quivering. I felt a sharp pain in my chest

“Is he dead?” I asked dumbly, unable to think clearly

“I’m afraid so.”

“You are a liar! Mayowa is alive, he is not dead!” I screamed suddenly, startling the officer

“Miss Eki, I understand that…”

“No, stop lying to me!! how dare you say Mayowa is dead. How dare you? Never ever tell me that nonsense!” I said, I was breathing heavily. I walked away from him and swiftly ascended the stairs.

I swung my door open, the adjoining door that connected my room to Mayowa’s caught my eye.

I stood transfixed to the spot. Slowly I made my way towards the door. Opened it. Memories flooded my mind.

His framed picture on the wall caught my attention, his ever-smiling handsome face.

“Look at you, looking alive and well. Don’t mind that confused officer, he said you are dead. What nonsense. You can’t be dead, right?” I asked still looking into the picture. My mind was in a blur.

I walked back to my room, his framed picture in my hands. I sat on the floor in my room; I left the adjoining door open so I could look straight into his room.

“Don’t mind them, I’ll wait till you return home.”

I was convincing myself that this whole thing was a lie, but I couldn’t deny the tremor that I felt each time I looked at the picture. I hugged the picture and lay on the rug.

A weakness like liquid snaked it's way through my body all the way down to my toes. I tried to shake off the overwhelming weakness that was lulling me to sleep. I want to stay awake when Mayowa comes home. I finally gave into the urge and drifted off.

...to be continued...

pEn&pApEr
GLORIEADEPOJU
----
Watch out for FAMILIAR ENEMY 8

Remember to subscribe to the blog so you will be notified when the blog is updated.

Source: https://peculiar-inspiro.com/2021/11/07/familiar-enemy-episode-7/
--------------
------------

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

182 Boulevard De Clichy / Help! Help! Help! / Real-life Drama! - A Doctor's "s E C R E T" Notes . . . .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.