Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,863 members, 7,810,291 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:53 AM

Did Jesus Perform Any Signs? If He Did Then How Many? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Did Jesus Perform Any Signs? If He Did Then How Many? (392 Views)

What Miracles Did Jesus Perform? / Did Jesus Perform Any Signs? If He Did Then How Many? Answer The Questions After / How To Answer The Question "Where Did Jesus Say, 'I Am God, Worship Me''? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did Jesus Perform Any Signs? If He Did Then How Many? by AntiChristian: 8:44am On Sep 11, 2021
Did Jesus Perform Any Signs? If He Did Then How Many?

There is a contradiction in the Bible. In one verse we read that Jesus said that no sign will be given to his generation:

Mark 8:11-13
11The Pharisees came and began to question Jesus. To test him, they asked him for a sign (semeion) from heaven. 12He sighed deeply and said, "Why does this generation ask for a miraculous sign (semeion)? I tell you the truth, no sign (semeion) will be given to it." 13Then he left them, got back into the boat and crossed to the other side.

However, in another place it says that his generation would be given the sign of Jonah...

Matthew 12:38-39
38Then some of the Pharisees and teachers of the law said to him, "Teacher, we want to see a miraculous sign (semeion) from you." 39He answered, "A wicked and adulterous generation asks for a miraculous sign (semeion)! But none will be given it except the sign (semeion) of the prophet Jonah.

Some Christians might try to say that Jesus meant that they would not receive a sign from heaven in Mark 8; however Jesus made it clear that they would not receive any semeion and did not specify which kind. Jesus said no semeion would be given to his generation. However, we don't see this in Matthew.

Now obviously when Jesus was talking about giving the people the 'Sign of Jonah', he was referring to his alleged resurrection. (What would be miraculous about him dying and being buried? And even at that Jonah did not die at all)

Another question that arises is the issue regarding all of Jesus' other miracles such as healing the blind, the leper, resurrecting the dead and feeding thousands with a little amount of food. Aren't all of these miracles considered signs?
Either there is a discrepancy between Jesus saying that he will give NO SIGN to the Jews except the sign of Jonah and him doing other miracles such as healing the blind and raising the dead.

Or the other option is Christians stating that Jesus' healing of the blind and his raising of the dead were not miracles or signs of his Prophethood. But that makes no sense. If they were not signs, then why would Jesus perform these miracles?
Someone might argue that Jesus meant to say that he would give no sign afterwards from that particular point in time. However, this could easily be refuted by simply reading on after that passage and seeing passages such as Mark 8:22-26, which show that Jesus healed a blind man or Mark 9:14-onwards, which show Jesus performing exorcism on a boy.

Questions That Christians Need to Answer
1) Why did Jesus say that no sign will be given to his generation in Mark 8:11-13, but said that one sign would be given in Matthew 12:38-39? Weren't Mark's audience misled by Mark's Gospel and understood that Jesus told the Jews that he will give them no sign?
2) If you were successful at harmonizing the difficulty above, then how do you explain the fact that Jesus told the Jews that he would only give them ONE SIGN and that is the sign of Jonah, while he did perform other signs such as healing the blind and feeding thousands with a little amount of food?

By Bassam Zawadi
Re: Did Jesus Perform Any Signs? If He Did Then How Many? by petra1(m): 9:19am On Sep 11, 2021
AntiChristian:

There is a contradiction in the Bible. In one verse we read that Jesus said that no sign will be given to his generation:

11The Pharisees came and began to question Jesus. To test him, they asked him for a sign (semeion) from heaven. 12He sighed deeply and said, "Why does this generation ask for a miraculous sign (semeion)? I tell you the truth, no sign (semeion) will be given to it." 13Then he left them, got back into the boat and crossed to the other side.

However, in another place it says that his generation would be given the sign of Jonah...

38Then some of the Pharisees and teachers of the law said to him, "Teacher, we want to see a miraculous sign (semeion) from you." 39He answered, "A wicked and adulterous generation asks for a miraculous sign (semeion)! But none will be given it except the sign (semeion) of the prophet Jonah.

Some Christians might try to say that Jesus meant that they would not receive a sign from heaven in Mark 8; however Jesus made it clear that they would not receive any semeion and did not specify which kind. Jesus said no semeion would be given to his generation. However, we don't see this in Matthew.

Now obviously when Jesus was talking about giving the people the 'Sign of Jonah', he was referring to his alleged resurrection. (What would be miraculous about him dying and being buried? And even at that Jonah did not die at all)

Another question that arises is the issue regarding all of Jesus' other miracles such as healing the blind, the leper, resurrecting the dead and feeding thousands with a little amount of food. Aren't all of these miracles considered signs?
Either there is a discrepancy between Jesus saying that he will give NO SIGN to the Jews except the sign of Jonah and him doing other miracles such as healing the blind and raising the dead.

Or the other option is Christians stating that Jesus' healing of the blind and his raising of the dead were not miracles or signs of his Prophethood. But that makes no sense. If they were not signs, then why would Jesus perform these miracles?
Someone might argue that Jesus meant to say that he would give no sign afterwards from that particular point in time. However, this could easily be refuted by simply reading on after that passage and seeing passages such as Mark 8:22-26, which show that Jesus healed a blind man or Mark 9:14-onwards, which show Jesus performing exorcism on a boy.

1) Why did Jesus say that no sign will be given to his generation in Mark 8:11-13, but said that one sign would be given in Matthew 12:38-39? Weren't Mark's audience misled by Mark's Gospel and understood that Jesus told the Jews that he will give them no sign?
2) If you were successful at harmonizing the difficulty above, then how do you explain the fact that Jesus told the Jews that he would only give them ONE SIGN and that is the sign of Jonah, while he did perform other signs such as healing the blind and feeding thousands with a little amount of food?

By Bassam Zawadi

Jesus was simply telling he wont give any sign based on their demand to prove himself . just as the devil demanded " if you're son of God turn the stone to bread" He wont succumb to such demand . His healing were based on needs not Performance to get approval

3 Likes

Re: Did Jesus Perform Any Signs? If He Did Then How Many? by AntiChristian: 9:31am On Sep 11, 2021
petra1:

Jesus was simply telling he wont give any sign based on their demand to prove himself . just as the devil demanded " if you're son of God turn the stone to bread" He wont succumb to such demand . His healing were based on needs not Performance to get approval

So the miracles were not signs? The Pharisees asked for signs! Many others came to Jesus for same healing which he did.

Moreover he said no sign except the sign of Jonah!
Re: Did Jesus Perform Any Signs? If He Did Then How Many? by petra1(m): 10:08am On Sep 11, 2021
AntiChristian:

So the miracles were not signs? The Pharisees asked for signs! Many others came to Jesus for same healing which he did.

Moreover he said no sign except the sign of Jonah!

They were. God may Perform signs and wonders at his own will but not under obligation to do so at the devil command for show

1 Like

Re: Did Jesus Perform Any Signs? If He Did Then How Many? by AntiChristian: 11:07am On Sep 11, 2021
petra1:

They were. God may Perform signs and wonders at his own will but not under obligation to do so at the devil command for show

And this proves that the only sign he showed to them was the sign of Jonah right?

No sign will be given or only sign of Jonah will be given?
Re: Did Jesus Perform Any Signs? If He Did Then How Many? by madegreatbygrace(m): 11:27am On Sep 11, 2021
quote author=AntiChristian post=105707051]

And this proves that the only sign he showed to them was the sign of Jonah right?

No sign will be given or only sign of Jonah will be given?

Let me ask you these questions :

What is a sign?

Is a sign different from a miracle , or are they one and the same?
Re: Did Jesus Perform Any Signs? If He Did Then How Many? by AntiChristian: 4:43pm On Sep 11, 2021
madegreatbygrace:

Let me ask you these questions :

What is a sign?

Is a sign different from a miracle , or are they one and the same?

A sign in this contexts is an approval that shows a superior power from God. Yeah, it means miracle in this context.
Re: Did Jesus Perform Any Signs? If He Did Then How Many? by MaxInDHouse(m): 4:49pm On Sep 11, 2021
AntiChristian:

A sign in this contexts is an approval that shows a superior power from God. Yeah, it means miracle in this context.

So if i may ask you, what exactly did your religion teach you about Jesus' ability to perform wonders? Because i was once a Muslim and i remember that Islam taught us that Jesus performed many mighty works.

But if you want to know what he meant by that statement regarding "no sign will be given" i can help you! wink
Re: Did Jesus Perform Any Signs? If He Did Then How Many? by madegreatbygrace(m): 8:36pm On Sep 11, 2021
quote author=AntiChristian post=105716413]

A sign is not always the same as a miracle, at least not in this context .

A miracle is any supernatural occurrence but a sign is the miracle’s significance or hidden meaning. It is what or who the miracle points to.

A sign is a miracle’s reality. Every miracle that Jesus performed in the Bible pointed to His resurrection or Him being the long awaited messiah.

“when the people therefore saw that Jesus was not there, nor His disciples, they also got into boats and came to Capernaum, seeking Jesus. Jesus answered them and said, “Most assuredly, I say to you, you seek Me, not because you saw the signs, but because you ate of the loaves and were filled.”
‭‭John‬ ‭6:24, 26‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

The multiplication of the bread and consequently the feeding of the multitude was a miracle.

However, the people failed to realize the sign behind the miracle which was so they could see that He was the bread that came down from heaven.

“For the bread of God is He who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world.””
‭‭John‬ ‭6:33‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

The bread the people ate could only nourish the body but the bread that came down from heaven gives life to the human spirit.

“And Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life. He who comes to Me shall never hunger, and he who believes in Me shall never thirst. But I said to you that you have seen Me and yet do not believe.”
‭‭John‬ ‭6:35-36‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

So the people couldn’t see beyond eating of the bread.

Now to the quoted text

“Then some of the scribes and Pharisees answered, saying, “Teacher, we want to see a sign from You.” But He answered and said to them, “An evil and adulterous generation seeks after a sign, and no sign will be given to it except the sign of the prophet Jonah. For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the great fish, so will the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭12:38-40‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

Notice what Jesus said.

He didn’t say no miracles will be given to them, as He performed many miracles afterwards. He said no sign.

That is, He would not perform any miracle for the reason of showmanship, or any other reason apart from making the people to see that He was the Christ.

I hope this helps.
Re: Did Jesus Perform Any Signs? If He Did Then How Many? by AntiChristian: 5:48am On Sep 12, 2021
madegreatbygrace:

A sign is not always the same as a miracle, at least not in this context .

A miracle is any supernatural occurrence but a sign is the miracle’s significance or hidden meaning. It is what or who the miracle points to.

A sign is a miracle’s reality. Every miracle that Jesus performed in the Bible pointed to His resurrection or Him being the long awaited messiah.

“when the people therefore saw that Jesus was not there, nor His disciples, they also got into boats and came to Capernaum, seeking Jesus. Jesus answered them and said, “Most assuredly, I say to you, you seek Me, not because you saw the signs, but because you ate of the loaves and were filled.”
‭‭John‬ ‭6:24, 26‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

The multiplication of the bread and consequently the feeding of the multitude was a miracle.

However, the people failed to realize the sign behind the miracle which was so they could see that He was the bread that came down from heaven.

“For the bread of God is He who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world.””
‭‭John‬ ‭6:33‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

The bread the people ate could only nourish the body but the bread that came down from heaven gives life to the human spirit.

“And Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life. He who comes to Me shall never hunger, and he who believes in Me shall never thirst. But I said to you that you have seen Me and yet do not believe.”
‭‭John‬ ‭6:35-36‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

So the people couldn’t see beyond eating of the bread.

Now to the quoted text

“Then some of the scribes and Pharisees answered, saying, “Teacher, we want to see a sign from You.” But He answered and said to them, “An evil and adulterous generation seeks after a sign, and no sign will be given to it except the sign of the prophet Jonah. For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the great fish, so will the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭12:38-40‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

Notice what Jesus said.

He didn’t say no miracles will be given to them, as He performed many miracles afterwards. He said no sign.

That is, He would not perform any miracle for the reason of showmanship, or any other reason apart from making the people to see that He was the Christ.

I hope this helps.

One thing I noticed with you guys is the too much emphasis placed on Jesus.
Why is a sign not equivalent to miracle in Jesus'case?

Noah was given the Prophecy of a sign of the flood.

Moses too separated the red sea. Why didn't these point to their resurrection?

And if Jesus said nothing will be given to them of signs except the sign of Prophet Jonah, was Jonah's experience not also a sign of his disobedience and miracle too?

Jesus said no sign will be given.
Jesus said only the sign of Jonah will be given.
Yet Jesus gave many signs and wonders!
Re: Did Jesus Perform Any Signs? If He Did Then How Many? by AntiChristian: 6:20am On Sep 12, 2021
MaxInDHouse:

So if i may ask you, what exactly did your religion teach you about Jesus' ability to perform wonders? Because i was once a Muslim and i remember that Islam taught us that Jesus performed many mighty works.

But if you want to know what he meant by that statement regarding "no sign will be given" i can help you! wink

What we believe in concerning Jesus is more than what you know when you thought you were a Muslim. Read below.

https://www.nairaland.com/4064473/what-muslims-belief-concerning-jesus
Re: Did Jesus Perform Any Signs? If He Did Then How Many? by Myer(m): 7:27am On Sep 12, 2021
AntiChristian:

By Bassam Zawadi

Communication is still one of the major issues here.
English, just like the original Greek/Hebrew languages is very prone to misinterpretation and wrong translation.

Matthew 16:4
A wicked and adulterous generation looks for a sign, but none will be given it except the sign of Jonah.” Jesus then left them and went away.

There are some basic questions to ask in order to understand this verse.

1. When did Jesus make this statement?
2. Who was he addressing and Why?

Let's go to the full context of the passage this was extracted from.

Matthew 16:1-4
The Pharisees and Sadducees came to Jesus and tested him by asking him to show them a sign from heaven.
He replied, “When evening comes, you say, ‘It will be fair weather, for the sky is red,’
and in the morning, ‘Today it will be stormy, for the sky is red and overcast.’ You know how to interpret the appearance of the sky, but you cannot interpret the signs of the times.
A wicked and adulterous generation looks for a sign, but none will be given it except the sign of Jonah.” Jesus then left them and went away.

Another account describes it below;
Mark 8:11-15
The Pharisees came and began to argue with him, useeking from him a sign from heaven to test him.
12 And he sighed deeply in his spirit and said, “Why does this generation seek a sign? Truly, I say to you, no sign will be given to this generation.” 
13 And he left them, got into the boat again, and went to the other side.
14 Now they had forgotten to bring bread, and they had only one loaf with them in the boat. 
15 And he cautioned them, saying, “Watch out; beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and the leaven of Herod.”

Now to my explanation;
1. When did Jesus make this statement?
He made this statement somewhere in the district of Dalmanutha. (Mark 8:10)
Just after he had fed 4000 people with 7 loaves of bread and few fishes. This was clearly a sign.
After making the statement he also went ahead to Bethsaida where he healed a blind man. Clearly another sign.

2. Who was Jesus addressing in this verse? And Why?
He was addressing the Pharisees and Saduccees (Matthew 16:1, Mark 8:11) because he knew their intention was to test him and because they were evil.
Jesus always woed them for their self-righteousness and evils Matthew 23:25-27.
In Mark 8:15 he specifically warned his disciples against the messages of the Pharisees and Herod. Though they did not understand what he meant.

Now, having established the fact that Jesus was not addressing everyone when he made this statement but only the Pharosees and Sadiccees I believe the bone of contention here is the word "generation".

As attached, the word generation has several meanings, the 3rd definition means a Race or Family or Breed (meaning a group of people who share certain things in common)
This is easily corroborated when we juxtapose it with the verse where Jesus and John the Baptist also addressed them as Brood of Vipers (children or family of snakes).

With this, we can say a better translation of the verse would be;

A wicked and adulterous (group of people) looks for a sign, but none will be given it except the sign of Jonah.” Jesus then left them and went away.

With this explanation, I believe we can agree that Jesus performed many signs (miracles) many of which were not even documented. John 21:25

It was only to the Pharisees he did not perform any signs because he knew their evil intentions.

Re: Did Jesus Perform Any Signs? If He Did Then How Many? by madegreatbygrace(m): 7:39am On Sep 12, 2021
quote author=AntiChristian post=105730419]

One thing I noticed with you guys is the too much emphasis placed on Jesus.
Why is a sign not equivalent to miracle in Jesus'case?

Noah was given the Prophecy of a sign of the flood.

Moses too separated the red sea. Why didn't these point to their resurrection?

And if Jesus said nothing will be given to them of signs except the sign of Prophet Jonah, was Jonah's experience not also a sign of his disobedience and miracle too?

Jesus said no sign will be given.
Jesus said only the sign of Jonah will be given.
Yet Jesus gave many signs and wonders!

Of course we will place much emphasis on Jesus because the Bible is all about Him.

Have you not read, that in a certain place He says the scriptures testify of Him ?

I know you have a good understanding of the Bible. Even better than the quaran.

Yet you failed to see something significant in the miracle of the bread and fishes.

The people have just witnessed a miracle . Yet Jesus said they didn’t see the sign.

Why didn’t He say that they have not seen a miracle?

You know why?

Because they evidently saw the miracle.

Common sense shows that a miracle in this context is not the same as a miracle.

Learn the use of words.
Re: Did Jesus Perform Any Signs? If He Did Then How Many? by orunto27: 10:24am On Sep 12, 2021
By ADAM AND EVE DISOBEDIENCE, THEY LOST FAITH AND HOPE IN GOD. JESUS CAME TO REPRESENT THE FAITH THE HOPE PEACE OF GOD AND GOD IN LOVE. HE IS MESSIAH SIGNS, WONDERS AND DREAMS OF LIGHT, GOODNESS AND LIFE.

HE THOUGHT US NOT TO WAIT FOR SIGNS AND WONDERS BECAUSE WE ARE SIGNS, WONDERS AND DREAMS.
Re: Did Jesus Perform Any Signs? If He Did Then How Many? by MaxInDHouse(m): 10:45am On Sep 12, 2021
AntiChristian:

What we believe in concerning Jesus is more than what you know when you thought you were a Muslim. Read below.
https://www.nairaland.com/4064473/what-muslims-belief-concerning-jesus

You don't have to bring in links, the question is simple and straightforward:

What exactly did your religion teach you about Jesus' ability to perform wonders?

According to your religion, did Jesus performed great miraculous works or not? smiley

As regards the SIGNS those antagonists were demanding i can TEACH you that one but first let's settle the issue about Jesus' ability to perform wonders! smiley
Re: Did Jesus Perform Any Signs? If He Did Then How Many? by xproducer: 12:22pm On Sep 12, 2021
petra1:

-----

Indeed...

The Discerner of Hearts
"Now when He was in Jerusalem at the Passover, during the feast, many believed in His name when they saw the signs which He did. But Jesus did not commit Himself to them, because He knew all men, and had no need that anyone should testify of man, for He knew what was in man." - John 2:23-26 (Also Hebrews 4:12-13)

"That was the true Light which gives light to every man coming into the world. He was in the world, and the world was made through Him, and the world did not know Him." - John 1:9-10
Re: Did Jesus Perform Any Signs? If He Did Then How Many? by AntiChristian: 12:26pm On Sep 12, 2021
MaxInDHouse:

You don't have to bring in links, the question is simple and straightforward:

What exactly did your religion teach you about Jesus' ability to perform wonders?

According to your religion, did Jesus performed great miraculous works or not? smiley

As regards the SIGNS those antagonists were demanding i can TEACH you that one but first let's settle the issue about Jesus' ability to perform wonders! smiley

If you can't read the link, then create a thread for that sir.
Re: Did Jesus Perform Any Signs? If He Did Then How Many? by MaxInDHouse(m): 1:01pm On Sep 12, 2021
It's OK, i'll leave you with the misinformed Churchgoers! smiley

AntiChristian:

If you can't read the link, then create a thread for that sir.

(1) (Reply)

Message To Ethiopia. / Man Fighting A Priest For Demanding Money For His Child's Baptism In Onitsha / Dream Of Escalation Of Commercial Prostitution In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.