Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,002 members, 7,817,964 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:14 AM

VAT Row: FIRS Workers Fear Cut In Salaries, Bonuses - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / VAT Row: FIRS Workers Fear Cut In Salaries, Bonuses (22986 Views)

Governors’ ‘jumbo’ Appointments Cost Millions In Salaries Monthly / FIRS Workers Threaten Strike Over Fowler’s Handover To Abiodun Aina / Fg’s Plan To Cut Salaries Scares NNPC, CBN, FIRS Workers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: VAT Row: FIRS Workers Fear Cut In Salaries, Bonuses by Christistruth00: 7:10pm On Sep 12, 2021
baby124:

Owambe can never be taxed because it will kill all the businesses in that industry. Which is big business for the state. Lots of entrepreneurs are in that industry

Owambe must be Taxed to bring more Sanity to Society and to eradicate Wastefulness

Enough of Trampling and dancing on top of money

1 Like

Re: VAT Row: FIRS Workers Fear Cut In Salaries, Bonuses by wengerman: 7:22pm On Sep 12, 2021
supportnija:

How would the state collect their own VAT? If I buy N100 MTN recharge card in sokoto, my VAT is N1 which at the end of the month FIRS go to the MTN to collect this N1 in the head office in lagos. If VAT is going to start , it means , it should be calculate according to state consumption not according to present of the head office, you will see that, Lagos and rivers may ended up getting nothing. My problem with some of you is that your sentiment have overide you judgement
how will Lagos get nothing with its population.using your analogy,the number population and purchasing power is high in Lagos and vat is a consumption tax.
Re: VAT Row: FIRS Workers Fear Cut In Salaries, Bonuses by Nobody: 7:23pm On Sep 12, 2021
Obdk:

The guy is telling you the truth.. No state will collect more VAT than lagos regardless
Op, this may be truth , this argument came from speaker of house of assembly , who said that Lagos alone generate N500billion , speaker forgot that this N500billion is from all the 35 state in Nigeria including FCT. If this system start Lagos may not get quarter of this money.
Re: VAT Row: FIRS Workers Fear Cut In Salaries, Bonuses by cybertruss(m): 7:29pm On Sep 12, 2021
Shut down FIRS and stop unjust allocation. Good development might usher in true federalism.
Re: VAT Row: FIRS Workers Fear Cut In Salaries, Bonuses by Xhuntra: 7:36pm On Sep 12, 2021
supportnija:

Op, this may be truth , this argument came from speaker of house of assembly , who said that Lagos alone generate N500billion , speaker forgot that this N500billion is from all the 35 state in Nigeria including FCT. If this system start Lagos may not get quarter of this money.

Mister man, pls close ur mouth. U ve been here pouring saliva everywhere without making any single sense. Shut up and take several seat behind abeg
Re: VAT Row: FIRS Workers Fear Cut In Salaries, Bonuses by AntiBMC(m): 7:36pm On Sep 12, 2021
Modrov:

The worrisome thing about this your scenairo is that

1.It could lead to multiple taxation.Under the new arrangement, Lagos is collecting VAT on the profits MTN earns in Nigeria, since MTN's HQ is located in Lagos, while Sokoto is again collecting VAT from MTN operations in its domain....meaning MTN can end up, theoretically, paying tax twice (unless MTN pays VAT on calls made in Lagos...which means Lag gets a reduction in the estimated amount they were expecting to collect in VAT. The same thing happens for other network providers.)

2.If Sokoto is not earning enough VAT from MTN consumption in its domain, it could increase the VAT a la true federalism since he who collects taxes also controls how much he pays...which will be passed on by MTN to the consumer in the form of 'high prices'

And as happens in Sokoto, it happens in other states too. A time could come where states increase VAT on MTN calls made in their state (and then there is the fun bit about calls made between states and to overseas).just to get extra money....either way MTN will pass the cost to us in the form of high prices.

We had this problem with right of way for telecom cables...where some states wanted to charge the earth vs some other states.

I see ur point but I believe you are only considering Telecom companies. Telecom is not the only source of VAT, I'd like to think that in different States,
there are other companies/services that pay taxes, where the scenario you painted isn't applicable.

So yea, you might be right but everything has its pros and cons. What matters is that at the end of the day, we make choices where the pros would outweigh the cons. And in this case, States collecting their VAT is a better choice.

1 Like

Re: VAT Row: FIRS Workers Fear Cut In Salaries, Bonuses by Nobody: 7:37pm On Sep 12, 2021
wengerman:
how will Lagos get nothing with its population.using your analogy,the number population and purchasing power is high in Lagos and vat is a consumption tax.
Op, we still on the same page, this system will fail , how is Lagos going to VAT MTN , glo , Airtel, 9Mobile now and others companies now. Because the last month recharge card sold was not for Lagos alone or they want to get another state VAT, everywhere in the world , VAT are centrally collect because good may not be consumed where it was produced
Re: VAT Row: FIRS Workers Fear Cut In Salaries, Bonuses by mechanics(m): 7:41pm On Sep 12, 2021
What happened to the allowances they have been collecting up till now?
Re: VAT Row: FIRS Workers Fear Cut In Salaries, Bonuses by Nobody: 7:47pm On Sep 12, 2021
Xhuntra:

Mister man, pls close ur mouth. U ve been here pouring saliva everywhere without making any single sense. Shut up and take several seat behind abeg
Shut your smelling mouth, you don't know anything, people with abundance of knowledge are talking you jump in with your trash,
My question to your stupidity are: how is Lagos going to VAT glo, MTN, JUMIA, OANDO, Total, nestling etc since their products was consumed in the whole 36 state including FCT or you think it was consumed in Lagos alone.. your empty brain should answer you.
Re: VAT Row: FIRS Workers Fear Cut In Salaries, Bonuses by Nobody: 7:47pm On Sep 12, 2021
AntiBMC:

I see ur point but I believe you are only considering Telecom companies. Telecom is not the only source of VAT, I'd like to think that in different States,
there are other companies/services that pay taxes, where the scenario you painted isn't applicable.

That's the problem...there is

1. Alcohol....VAT could be paid at different rates, some high, some low, where alcohol is consumed. At the end of the day, alcohol would be expensive in some states, and even more expensive in others...or the beer companies like Guiness, NB and Heineken and CB, increase beer prices across the board.

Then there is the problem of VAT being paid on beer bought wholesale in Enugu and sold in FCT Abuja...meaning a beer drinker in Abuja would be paying higher than one in Enugu.

2.Bread. Flour would be subject to VAT...and when it is made int bread...bread could be subject to VAT...AS WELL...meaning that bread prices could go up.

And a host of other products...like grains, semovita, etc etc....

So yea, you might be right but everything has its pros and cons. What matters is that at the end of the day, we make choices where the pros would outweigh the cons. And in this case, States collecting their VAT is a better choice.

And at the end of the day, VAT would be collected on the same thing in three states=triple taxation.
Re: VAT Row: FIRS Workers Fear Cut In Salaries, Bonuses by macskillzy(m): 7:48pm On Sep 12, 2021
Omo; so FIRS won’t be able to sponsor Ay Live show like dey used to do

1 Like

Re: VAT Row: FIRS Workers Fear Cut In Salaries, Bonuses by Xhuntra: 8:26pm On Sep 12, 2021
supportnija:

Shut your smelling mouth, you don't know anything, people with abundance of knowledge are talking you jump in with your trash,
My question to your stupidity are: how is Lagos going to VAT glo, MTN, JUMIA, OANDO, Total, nestling etc since their products was consumed in the whole 36 state including FCT or you think it was consumed in Lagos alone.. your empty brain should answer you.

Go and learn how to communicate in English. The trash u typed above is giving me aches. I am done reading ur shit
Re: VAT Row: FIRS Workers Fear Cut In Salaries, Bonuses by okoroemeka(m): 8:29pm On Sep 12, 2021
ManBullet90:
Which wayb undecided

Meanwhile!!
Our Award-winning HERBAL PENIS ENLARGEMENT organic OIL is the most advanced penis enlargement Product available worldwide. It's Developed with active ingredients with the sole purpose of giving you a permanent Bigger, THICKER, STRONGER, and longer penis without any form of side effect.

This is Revolutionary!!!

A Penis Solution That Gives You a Bigger, Thicker, Stronger, And Larger Penis. And Also Make you last 45 to 60min In Bed While maintaining and Healthy
Erection.

I personally call it the “penis Brain REMEDY”
Come and enjoy our % Discount.

Safe yourself from Bedroom embarrassment. Be that MACHINE man, Madam need better Stroke. Order and enjoy the good pleasure. You are just a phone call away from permanent Solution.
why would I need a thicker,fatter and bigger penis am I using it to drill crude oil or act x-rated movie,what we need is proactive ideas to get a thicker,fatter and bigger bank account,sex is not food.
Re: VAT Row: FIRS Workers Fear Cut In Salaries, Bonuses by AntiBMC(m): 8:48pm On Sep 12, 2021
Modrov:

That's the problem...there is

1. Alcohol....VAT could be paid at different rates, some high, some low, where alcohol is consumed. At the end of the day, alcohol would be expensive in some states, and even more expensive in others...or the beer companies like Guiness, NB and Heineken and CB, increase beer prices across the board.

You know, that's why there's a need for a price regulatory body that would ensure companies, their distributors and wholesalers don't just up and increase prices anyhow they wish. Besides, im sure the competition in the market wouldn't let them hike prices of their goods unceremoniously.

Modrov:

Then there is the problem of VAT being paid on beer bought wholesale in Enugu and sold in FCT Abuja...meaning a beer drinker in Abuja would be paying higher than one in Enugu .

In this case, beer companies most definitely have their depots situated in every state, they have distributors/suppliers who wouldn't need to pay any VAT, the drinks would be brought to them in their various States and they sell. So I don't see why anyone would leave the depots in Abuja and go to Enugu to buy the beer

Modrov:

2.Bread. Flour would be subject to VAT...and when it is made int bread...bread could be subject to VAT...AS WELL...meaning that bread prices could go up.

And a host of other products...like grains, semovita, etc etc.....

This is based on assumptions.
You are assuming that flour, cereals etc presently exempted from VAT, would be subjected to it. I'm assuming that just d way d FG exempted some products, State govts can do same; even better, add to the exemption list.

Modrov:

And at the end of the day, VAT would be collected on the same thing in three states=triple taxation.

All I'm saying is, you never know how something would turn out until you try it. The problem is and has always been corruption. If only there can be steadfast regulatory bodies, things won't be so bad.
Re: VAT Row: FIRS Workers Fear Cut In Salaries, Bonuses by Nobody: 11:18pm On Sep 12, 2021
supportnija:

Op, we still on the same page, this system will fail , how is Lagos going to VAT MTN , glo , Airtel, 9Mobile now and others companies now. Because the last month recharge card sold was not for Lagos alone or they want to get another state VAT, everywhere in the world , VAT are centrally collect because good may not be consumed where it was produced

How do the companies in America do it? They should employ a tax consultant. Easy peasy. Their system will give the tax person enough info to do the taxes.
Re: VAT Row: FIRS Workers Fear Cut In Salaries, Bonuses by Nobody: 11:24pm On Sep 12, 2021
Re: VAT Row: FIRS Workers Fear Cut In Salaries, Bonuses by alphaNomega: 8:25am On Sep 13, 2021
Christistruth00:

Too many Nigerian Billonaires pay next to Nothing they should get on their Case

Lagos should also introduce the Owambe Party Tax

Any Party Costing More than N2 Million Naira should be taxed at 50% especially the Obi Cubana type parties
This is how poor people think

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

World Diplomatic Circles To Honour Jonathan In Geneva / FG Accuses IPOB Of Using Fake Videos To Hoodwink International Community / Fulani Agenda: It's Time To Apologize To Me - FFK

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.