Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,398 members, 7,815,869 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:52 PM

Evangelical Church Appoints An Openly Transgender As Bishop - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Evangelical Church Appoints An Openly Transgender As Bishop (588 Views)

Worshippers Electrocuted At El-Adonai Evangelical Church In Abule-Egba, Lagos / Paul Enenche: Kidnappers Disguise As Bishop, Naval Officer Storm Dunamis Church / List Of The Largest Evangelical Church Auditoriums: First Three Are In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Evangelical Church Appoints An Openly Transgender As Bishop by Hangmnk: 2:06pm On Sep 13, 2021
Evangelical Lutheran Church appoints an openly transgender person, Megan Rohrer, as bishop for the first time in U.S. history on Sunday.

The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America makes history by installing first openly transgender bishop
‘My call is ... to be up to the same messy, loving things I was up to before,’ bishop tells worshippers

Gustaf Kilander
Raleigh, NC
20 hours ago

I would like to be emailed about offers, events and updates from The Independent. Read our privacy notice

The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America has made history by installing the first openly transgender bishop.

Bishop Megan Rohrer will serve a term of six years in the northern parts of Nevada and California.

The bishop uses the pronoun “they” and is married with two children.

The reverend was installed in the post during a ceremony at Grace Cathedral in San Francisco on Saturday. They will be in charge of almost 200 congregations as they lead one of the church’s synods – a church council.

Bishop Rohrer is the first publically transgender person holding the post in any mainline Christian denomination.

Fury after police commissioner claims transgender women should not be allowed to use female toilets

Tokyo Olympics: Canada’s Quinn first transgender and non-binary athlete to ever win medal

Teacher cries as she quits in front of Virginia school board considering more inclusive transgender policy
“My call is ... to be up to the same messy, loving things I was up to before,” the bishop told worshippers. “But mostly, if you’ll let me, and I think you will, my hope is to love you and beyond that, to love what you love.”

Following the retirement announcement of the previous officeholder, Bishop Rohrer was elected in May to lead the Sierra Pacific Synod.

“I step into this role because a diverse community of Lutherans in Northern California and Nevada prayerfully and thoughtfully voted to do a historic thing,” Bishop Rohrer said in a statement, The Associated Press reported. “My installation will celebrate all that is possible when we trust God to shepherd us forward.”

<p>Bishop Megan Rohrer, left, and Bishop Marc Andrus stand on the rainbow steps before Bishop Rohrer’s installation ceremony at Grace Cathedral in San Francisco, Saturday, Sept. 11, 2021</p>
Bishop Megan Rohrer, left, and Bishop Marc Andrus stand on the rainbow steps before Bishop Rohrer’s installation ceremony at Grace Cathedral in San Francisco, Saturday, Sept. 11, 2021

Bishop Rohrer previously worked as the pastor of Grace Lutheran Church in San Francisco and also served as the chaplain coordinator for the San Francisco Police Department. They also worked with the city’s homeless and LGBT+ community.

Bishop Rohrer studied religion at Augustana University in Sioux Falls, South Dakota – their hometown. They then moved to California to earn a master and a doctorate at the Pacific School of Religion in Berkeley.

The progressive Evangelical Lutheran church began allowing pastors in same-sex relationships in 2010.

Bishop Rohrer was one of seven LGBT+ pastors accepted that year.

The church has 3.3 million members and is one of the largest Christian denominations in the US.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/evangelical-lutheran-church-transgender-bishop-b1918725.html%3famp

Re: Evangelical Church Appoints An Openly Transgender As Bishop by Hangmnk: 2:09pm On Sep 13, 2021
I'm not a Christian but I have a question, who are the evangelicals and what's their story
Re: Evangelical Church Appoints An Openly Transgender As Bishop by Truthissupreme: 2:13pm On Sep 13, 2021
They can keep doing what they like at the end they would answer to God because the church is the person not a congregation

If they really profess to follow the Bible they should know God struck the eyes of homosexuals with blindness when they tried invading lot's house

Matthew 7:22

Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name

23. Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’
Re: Evangelical Church Appoints An Openly Transgender As Bishop by Righteousness2(m): 2:16pm On Sep 13, 2021
Despite the testing of the Mic Wraths, Destructions and Disasters serving as Warning to this Ruined, Diseased, Posioned and Decayed Generation, many are still bent on Provoking the ALMIGHTY GOD , Just as the People of Sodom and Gomorrah and those in days of Noah.

Folks, I beg and Admonish all to Humble themselves, before GOD, Repent, turn to JESUS and stay away Directly and Indirectly from those who are Stubbornly Provoking GOD.

We are Warning again, Just as we Warned before ,
Grievous Destruction and Disatrous Disaster is Coming! What is Coming is Far Worse than what we are seeing now.

Flee! Escape For your Life! The Undiluted Wrath of GOD is Falling on this Generation.

JESUS Christ is the Only means of Safety.

Those that have Ears to Hear, let them Hear.
Re: Evangelical Church Appoints An Openly Transgender As Bishop by Hangmnk: 2:48pm On Sep 13, 2021
Righteousness2:
Despite the testing of the Mic Wraths, Destructions and Disasters serving as Warning to this Ruined, Diseased, Posioned and Decayed Generation, many are still bent on Provoking the ALMIGHTY GOD , Just as the People of Sodom and Gomorrah and those in days of Noah.

Folks, I beg and Admonish all to Humble themselves, before GOD, Repent, turn to JESUS and stay away Directly and Indirectly from those who are Stubbornly Provoking GOD.

We are Warning again, Just as we Warned before ,
Grievous Destruction and Disatrous Disaster is Coming! What is Coming is Far Worse than what we are seeing now.

Flee! Escape For your Life! The Undiluted Wrath of GOD is Falling on this Generation.

JESUS Christ is the Only means of Safety.

Those that have Ears to Hear, let them Hear.
who are the evangelicals... Anyways pls
Re: Evangelical Church Appoints An Openly Transgender As Bishop by Righteousness2(m): 2:50pm On Sep 13, 2021
Hangmnk:
who are the evangelicals... Anyways pls

I don't know!
It does not Matter what anyone is Called, the act being advanced is Abominable and Evil at its Peak.
Re: Evangelical Church Appoints An Openly Transgender As Bishop by saaron(m): 2:56pm On Sep 13, 2021
By their fruits, you shall know them. Not everyone who answers the name "Bishop" will see the kingdom of God.
Re: Evangelical Church Appoints An Openly Transgender As Bishop by Kobojunkie: 3:07pm On Sep 13, 2021
Truthissupreme:
They can keep doing what they like at the end they would answer to God because the church is the person not a congregation

If they really profess to follow the Bible they should know God struck the eyes of homosexuals with blindness when they tried invading lot's house

Matthew 7:22

Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name

23. Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’

Jesus Christ also informed you in the same Gospels that His Church, the one that belongs to Him, is built by Him - On His Truth and by His hands. So, these churches which are built by the will of your Mogs and Pastors on the doctrines and traditions of men are not to be confused in any way or form with Jesus Christ's own Church. undecided
Re: Evangelical Church Appoints An Openly Transgender As Bishop by Hangmnk: 3:07pm On Sep 13, 2021
Righteousness2:

I don't know!
It does not Matter what anyone is Called, the act being advanced is Abominable and Evil at its Peak.
so they're just average christians no different whatsoever
Re: Evangelical Church Appoints An Openly Transgender As Bishop by Kobojunkie: 3:09pm On Sep 13, 2021
saaron:
By their fruits, you shall know them. Not everyone who answers the name "Bishop" will see the kingdom of God.
Why exactly are you against this man again? undecided

The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America has made history by installing the first openly transgender bishop.

Bishop Megan Rohrer will serve a term of six years in the northern parts of Nevada and California.

The bishop uses the pronoun “they” and is married with two children.

The reverend was installed in the post during a ceremony at Grace Cathedral in San Francisco on Saturday. They will be in charge of almost 200 congregations as they lead one of the church’s synods – a church council.

Bishop Rohrer is the first publically transgender person holding the post in any mainline Christian denomination.
Re: Evangelical Church Appoints An Openly Transgender As Bishop by Truthissupreme: 3:12pm On Sep 13, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Jesus Christ also informed you in the same Gospels that His Church, the one that belongs to Him, is built by Him - On His Truth and by His hands. So, these churches which are built by the will of your Mogs and Pastors on the doctrines and traditions of men are not to be confused in any way or form with Jesus Christ's own Church. undecided
You didn't say anything o
Re: Evangelical Church Appoints An Openly Transgender As Bishop by Kobojunkie: 3:16pm On Sep 13, 2021
Truthissupreme:
You didn't say anything o
Again, Jesus Christ also informed you in the same Gospels that His Church, the one that belongs to Him, is built by Him - On His Truth and by His hands. undecided

So, these churches which are built by the will of your Mogs and Pastors on the doctrines and traditions of men are not to be confused in any way or form with Jesus Christ's own Church undecided
Re: Evangelical Church Appoints An Openly Transgender As Bishop by Truthissupreme: 3:17pm On Sep 13, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Again, Jesus Christ also informed you in the same Gospels that His Church, the one that belongs to Him, is built by Him - On His Truth and by His hands. undecided

So, these churches which are built by the will of your Mogs and Pastors on the doctrines and traditions of men are not to be confused in any way or form with Jesus Christ's own Church undecided
So what's your point?
Re: Evangelical Church Appoints An Openly Transgender As Bishop by Kobojunkie: 3:23pm On Sep 13, 2021
Truthissupreme:
So what's your point?
Don't confuse the churches that belong to the kingdom of men with Christ's Church. undecided

These churches you have here in the kingdom of men are businesses ruled over by men and their doctrines and traditions. undecided
Re: Evangelical Church Appoints An Openly Transgender As Bishop by Truthissupreme: 3:27pm On Sep 13, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Don't confuse the churches that belong to the kingdom of men with Christ's Church. undecided

These churches you have here in the kingdom of men are businesses ruled over by men and their doctrines and traditions. undecided
ofcourse

That's why the Bible says Christian's are the temple (church) not the building or congregation

1corinthians 3:16

English Standard Version
Do you not know that you are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in you?
Re: Evangelical Church Appoints An Openly Transgender As Bishop by Kobojunkie: 3:43pm On Sep 13, 2021
Truthissupreme:
ofcourse

That's why the Bible says Christian's are the temple (church) not the building or congregation

1corinthians 3:16

English Standard Version
Do you not know that you are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in you?
Well, those who belong to Christ's Church answer only to Him and are commanded only by Him - not by Mogs and Pastors and certainly not by Paul. undecided
Re: Evangelical Church Appoints An Openly Transgender As Bishop by Truthissupreme: 3:45pm On Sep 13, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Well, those who belong to Christ's Church answer only to Him and are commanded only by Him - not by Mogs and Pastors and certainly not by Paul. undecided
Get well soon
Re: Evangelical Church Appoints An Openly Transgender As Bishop by Kobojunkie: 3:46pm On Sep 13, 2021
Truthissupreme:
Get well soon
Again, according to Jesus Christ, those who belong to Christ's Church answer only to Him and are commanded only by Him - not by Mogs and Pastors and certainly not by Paul. undecided

(1) (Reply)

Is It A Sin To Kill In Self Defence? / Sex Outside Marriage Is Very Dangerous / Islam, The Anti-Christ Offshoot Of Christianity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.